Groundhog finally bites the dust in Android 10

123456789

Jan 7, 2020, 6:07:42 PM1/7/20
The first casualty I noticed after my phone was updated to Android 10
was the Groundhog newsreader. It lost its menu icon making it unusable.
Ah well, it was a good run...

Andrzej P. Wozniak

Jan 8, 2020, 8:55:02 PM1/8/20
Osoba podpisana jako 123456789 <12...@12345.com>
w artykule <news:qv32vs$mck$1...@dont-email.me> pisze:

> The first casualty I noticed after my phone was updated to Android 10
> was the Groundhog newsreader. It lost its menu icon making it unusable.
> Ah well, it was a good run...

Which version: 1.x or 2.x? I'm trying to revive updates for 2.x version…

--
Andrzej P. Woźniak us...@pochta.onet.pl (swap z<->h in address)

123456789

Jan 8, 2020, 9:20:31 PM1/8/20
Andrzej P. Wozniak wrote:
> 123456789 wrote:

>> The first casualty I noticed after my phone was updated
>> to Android 10 was the Groundhog newsreader. It lost its
>> menu icon making it unusable.

> Which version: 1.x or 2.x? I'm trying to revive updates
> for 2.x version…

1.20.3

Arlen Holder

Nov 27, 2020, 8:46:04 PM11/27/20
Update, regarding the comparison of iOS & Android newsreaders clients
o iOS exclusive app
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/vTJ6PVrtyS0>

Here is a summary of the recent related Usenet client threads...
o Reproduced verbatim below... (with cites)

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 19:24:35 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> I did answer it. I use NewsTap Lite. It's only limitation is a
> maximum of one server and two groups. Everything else is the same.

Ah, my apologies.

I had not seen your reply until now, where it's a classic trait
on the child-like Apple newsgroups for people like nospam to make a claim
and then never back it up with even a single actual fact (as their belief
systems are based purely on what MARKETING has fed them to believe).

I am sorry I had not seen (and still have not seen) your response, but I
accept that you responded by saying you used the freeware (crippleware
actually) NewsTap, as did I (long ago) on my many iPads.

Thanks for answering the question, as I had tested the same NewsTap
crippleware on iOS (long ago, when Michelle Steiner was handing out free
NewTap licenses!) and I found it severely lacking in functionality.

Not that the Android newsreaders are any more or less functional, mind you,
as nobody on the Android newsgroup is claiming they're fantastic either.

My belief systems are _always_ based upon cold hard published facts
o Which is why my credibility on facts is 100% stellar (and always will be)

You may disagree with my assessments - but you can never question facts
o Example of FACT: Newsreader functionality exist on both platforms.
o Example of an ASSESSMENT of fact: Both suck.

Note: Most apologists are so incredibly stupid they can't differentiate
between something even as trivially simple as that difference.

In essence, you picked an app functionality that exists on both platforms,
but just barely (at least just barely for free, ad free, gsf free, and
google free, which is what I always strive for, whether or not I get that).

Rest assured, despite the infantile apologists thinking otherwise, I am
extremely well balanced when it comes to assessing software functionality,
where you don't know what I did in the Silicon Valley for decades, but rest
assured the stuff I worked with is about as complex as software can be made
- and I excelled at that.

There are two distinct but intertwined topics here, which are:
a. Is there any functionality on iOS not already on (5-year old) Android?
b. Is there any functionality on iOS that is _better_ than that on Android?

The first one is easier to answer; the second is subject to immense
interpretation, so it has as many different answers as there are people
answering it (since assessments will naturally vary among adults).

In my humblest of opinions, both iOS and Android have freeware "newsreader
functionality", where, in my humble personal assessment, both suck.

And that's based on facts, as it's not like nobody ever asked:

o Groundhog finally bites the dust in Android 10, by 123456789
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/m-YpgrvEEiA>
o NNTP Android Client, by Joe Rock
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/4jg0n79iZBc>
o Newsgroup reader needed, by pinnerite
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/H0ngEWe-818>
o Any good Android newsreaders?, by Cameo
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Oqc4fylq8yI>
o Anyone ever manage to get any android usenet reader to work? by F Murtz
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/BC7va1QK0Yc>
o Most populair and useful usenet client for text, by BugHunter
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/KmCRrjjfIKs>
o Android Newsgroup Reader that doesn't suck? by Triscal Islington
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/VcfzxGq1MA8>
o Newsgroup Reader by John Geoffrey
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Z-ZUUdnkcEY>
o What is a good free Usenet news reader for Android? by Winston_Smith
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/WUX6T9ADy60>
o Android newsreaders <-- L00k If you use one or want to see a new one,
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/MNfuOAYniEQ>
o Android usenet reader by myglasses.com
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/XwD1hOz_sX4>
o Reader for Newgroups, by Keith Nuttle
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/PBu1TMSt4pQ>
o Newsreader app?, by Sparky
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/eku_mPUjukE>
o Android NNTP client, by tlvp
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/aWlwPV_-j64>
o NNTP client for Android phones ( 880x480 ), by Poutnik
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/SCoJcswl84w>
o What's a good freeware Android nntp newsreader (other than Zoldar
Groundhog)?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/ZGItZa2tBV4>
o usenet (newsgroups) client, by pinnerite
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/O2VpXujyahA>
o Usenet, by Bob Bloggs
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/2qIRXGlCRU0>
etc.
--
There is no app functionality on iOS not already on 5-year old Android.