Newsreader app?

Sparky

Jul 14, 2014, 4:36:34 PM7/14/14
What's a good Android app for reading NNTP groups? I see several on Play
store but all the bells and whistles make it more than simple.

Don't need binary downloading ability although RSS might be nice.

Thanks.
--
Sam GS3 L710.14
Android 4.4.2 KitKat

Nil

Jul 14, 2014, 5:05:39 PM7/14/14
On 14 Jul 2014, Sparky <s...@thesig.net> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> What's a good Android app for reading NNTP groups? I see several
> on Play store but all the bells and whistles make it more than
> simple.
>
> Don't need binary downloading ability although RSS might be nice.

I haven't found anything very good. This one seems usable:

NewsGroup Reader

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

Poutnik

Jul 14, 2014, 5:13:56 PM7/14/14
Dne 14.7.2014 23:05, Nil napsal(a):
I use it too for some time.
Before that I used GroundHog, but this suits my needs better.
The pain for the GH is lack of ability of collapse the huge quotings.

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Sparky

Jul 14, 2014, 5:45:39 PM7/14/14
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

thanks. I'll try it.

How do you choose groups to download (some readers call these
"subscriptions"). ie, sci.electronics.design? All I see is "All groups"
option.

Nil

Jul 14, 2014, 6:22:08 PM7/14/14
On 14 Jul 2014, Sparky <s...@thesig.net> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgro
>> up
>
> thanks. I'll try it.
>
> How do you choose groups to download (some readers call these
> "subscriptions"). ie, sci.electronics.design? All I see is "All
> groups" option.

Sorry, I'm not at my tablet right now and I won't have access to it for
several days, so I can't tell you. As usual with Android apps, they
assume that they're so obvious to use that they don't need to bother
with any instructions. I seem to recall that it took me some futzing
around with it before I figured out how to select my newsgroups, but I
did eventually get it.

Sparky

Jul 14, 2014, 6:27:54 PM7/14/14
> I seem to recall that it took me some futzing
> around with it before I figured out how to select my newsgroups, but I
> did eventually get it.

Ha! A-futzing I will go!

As long as choosing ng's isn't something available in only the paid
version...

Thanks.

Roger Mills

Jul 15, 2014, 12:57:25 PM7/15/14
On 14/07/2014 21:36, Sparky wrote:
> What's a good Android app for reading NNTP groups? I see several on Play
> store but all the bells and whistles make it more than simple.
>
> Don't need binary downloading ability although RSS might be nice.
>
> Thanks.

I've tried several, and not one comes anywhere close to using readers
such as Thunderbird on a PC.

I have settled on Android Usenet Reader, which is ok - though not brilliant.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro&hl=en

There is a free demo version to enable you to satisfy yourself that it
works - but that's a bit limited, and you need the paid version if you
want to access a lot of newsgroups. It's not frightfully expensive -
just under 4 UKP (7 US$).
--
Cheers,
Roger