Usenet

Bob Bloggs

Aug 4, 2013, 7:36:20 PM8/4/13
Is there an app that will allow an andoid tablet to access usenet. I
have looked using Play but no luck. TIA

mac

Aug 4, 2013, 7:46:41 PM8/4/13

"Bob Bloggs" <now...@noplace.invalid> wrote in message
> Is there an app that will allow an andoid tablet to access usenet. I
> have looked using Play but no luck. TIA

How is your Joe keeping?

You will not get any better than this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.NewsReader&hl=en

Use the paid for version to remove ad's, about £3 or so.

mac

Toby Newman

Aug 5, 2013, 4:49:53 AM8/5/13
On 2013-08-04, Bob Bloggs <now...@noplace.invalid> wrote:
> Is there an app that will allow an andoid tablet to access usenet. I
> have looked using Play but no luck. TIA

I use juice ssh to connect to a remote shell session and run slrn.

--
-Toby

Michael Hellwig

Aug 5, 2013, 5:42:06 AM8/5/13
On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 09:49:53 +0100, Toby Newman wrote:
> On 2013-08-04, Bob Bloggs <now...@noplace.invalid> wrote:
>> Is there an app that will allow an andoid tablet to access usenet. I
>> have looked using Play but no luck. TIA
>
> I use juice ssh to connect to a remote shell session and run slrn.

same here, but frankly, it's probably not going to be much fun without a
physical keyboard, isn't it? (I have one but can't imagine using the
on-screen keyboard for slrn or mutt)

Roger Mills

Aug 5, 2013, 6:05:35 AM8/5/13
On 05/08/2013 00:36, Bob Bloggs wrote:
> Is there an app that will allow an andoid tablet to access usenet. I
> have looked using Play but no luck. TIA

I find Android Usenet Reader quite good. There's a free (Demo) version
which will only access one newsgroup but the paid version which removes
this restriction is only a few GBP (or $s)

Another one which comes highly recommended by many people is Groundhog -
which is free, with no restrictions. However, I prefer Usenet reader -
but YMMV.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Toby Newman

Aug 5, 2013, 6:09:48 AM8/5/13
Yes, it's a compromise, but the key feature is the read/unread stays
synched between all my devices.

Anonymous

Aug 5, 2013, 7:11:40 AM8/5/13
I see that it supports offline reading. If I copy Gnus-downloaded
articles from a desktop to the SD card, can this tool access them?

Theo Markettos

Aug 5, 2013, 8:00:31 AM8/5/13
Michael Hellwig <mhel...@in-ulm.de> wrote:
> same here, but frankly, it's probably not going to be much fun without a
> physical keyboard, isn't it? (I have one but can't imagine using the
> on-screen keyboard for slrn or mutt)

tin is reasonably usable with a soft keyboard that has arrow keys, Page
Up/Down, etc etc.

Mutt is OK, but editors that require Ctrl-... keystrokes are a bit awkward.

Theo

Dave Liquorice

Aug 5, 2013, 8:25:38 AM8/5/13
On 05 Aug 2013 13:00:31 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos wrote:

> tin is reasonably usable with a soft keyboard that has arrow keys, Page
> Up/Down, etc etc.
>
> Mutt is OK, but editors that require Ctrl-... keystrokes are a bit
> awkward.

I think the "hackers keyboard" has all those features, certainly the
arrow keys in landscape mode.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Androidino da Tradate

Aug 5, 2013, 10:03:14 AM8/5/13
Bob Bloggs <now...@noplace.invalid> ha scritto:
> Is there an app that will allow an andoid tablet to access usenet. I
> have looked using Play but no luck. TIA

tsk tsk tsk
see under my signature
works perfectly

--
rotolate, teste!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

c...@isbd.net

Aug 5, 2013, 10:10:38 AM8/5/13
I use the "Server Auditor" app as my ssh client on Android and it's
excellent for just this sort of thing - I use mutt for E-mail and tin
for usenet.

Server Auditor is set up such that Unix/Linux command line is easy to
do, Esc is an on-screen tap, as is Ctrl and the keyboard works well with
vi type key mappings.

--
Chris Green
·

c...@isbd.net

Aug 5, 2013, 10:11:49 AM8/5/13
... as I say above, try Server Auditor, it's specifically for doing this
sort of thing and Esc and Ctrl are easily accessible.

--
Chris Green
·