Re: Android newsreaders <-- L00k If you use one or want to see a new one

Poutnik

Mar 5, 2015, 1:25:27 PM3/5/15
Dne 05/03/2015 v 19:03 G. Morgan napsal(a):
> Android newsreaders so far have not passed
> the usability test for lots of users.
>
> If you want a new reader for Android, what
> features would you want in it?
>
> I want:
>
> Good filtering -- let the user filter on
> any field this would require two
> filtering processes. The first pass will query the server for the
> overview.fmt fields and not download messages
> you want filtered. The second
> pass would filter after the messages get downloaded.
>
> Easy threading view - similar to Agent and Pan
>
> Easy button control - face it, you'll be
> using a screen 4" or better. I want
> easy controls for small screens so phone users can navigate better.
>
> No Ads - This will probably be a tough one.
> In order to be monetized this and
> compensate the author there may be two
> versions. A trial version that is
> fully functional but contains some ads; also
> a paid version that removes the
>
> This list is much longer, so I won't be
>posting them until I see an interest
> in developing a new reader for Android.
>
> [Question] How much would you pay for
a top-notch reader with ongoing
> development and support? Android users seem
> to want everything for free (I am
> guilty too, I have bought little apps)
> If there *was* a reader that was
> PERFECT for your Android based device, how
> much would you be willing to pay?

I suppose it is more suited to groups
comp.mobile.android a/o news.software.readers
especially if it is to be payware/shareware/adware.

--
Poutnik
Message has been deleted

Poutnik

Mar 5, 2015, 2:03:32 PM3/5/15
Dne 05/03/2015 v 19:53 G. Morgan napsal(a):
> Poutnik wrote:
>
>> I suppose it is more suited to groups
>> comp.mobile.android a/o news.software.readers
>> especially if it is to be payware/shareware/adware.
>

> I want a no ads, and access to any group the server carries. You'll still be
> able to use E-S.
>
> Would you pay a reasonable cost for a bad-ass reader with ongoing development?
>
> What would be a reasonable cost if so?

what is E-S ?

I use Android Reader just occationally,
using this
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

and before that the GroundHog.

So I am probably not going to buy it.
I may would consider it, if I used Android tablet
as a primary computing platform.

Probably not more than 20-25$.

--
Poutnik
Message has been deleted

Poutnik

Mar 6, 2015, 8:50:13 AM3/6/15
On 03/06/2015 02:11 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
> Poutnik wrote:
>

>>> I want a no ads, and access to any group the server carries. You'll still be
>>> able to use E-S.
>>>
>> what is E-S ?
>
> The NNTP server you use: eternal-september.org

Aach, I see :-D
It looked almost as some high tech acronym
from Usenet related RFC file.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik

Mar 6, 2015, 8:55:34 AM3/6/15
On 03/05/2015 07:53 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

> I want a no ads, and access to any group the server carries. You'll still be
> able to use E-S.

It would be a strange NewsReader,
if I would not be able to use a server of choice.

--
Poutnik