Android Newsgroup Reader that doesn't suck?

Triscal Islington

Sep 18, 2016, 9:58:33 AM9/18/16
Hey folks,

I'm new to the comp.mobile.* category and realized that, while I've been
a newsgroup user and an android user for ages I've never crossed those
over. There are a few decent apps for grabbing binaries but all the
readers on android that I've tried so far are steaming piles of trash.

Do you folks have any recommendations for newsreaders that are, at the
very least, workable for daily use? I'm more than happy to pay a
reasonable price for an app, but I'd like to know in advance that it is
better than the rest of the stuff I've tried.

Cheers,
Triscal

---

Triscal Islington

Sep 18, 2016, 10:00:59 AM9/18/16
On 2016-09-18 9:58 AM, Triscal Islington wrote:

*sigh*

Please ignore that garbage, posting from a windows computer and I guess
Avast inserts garbage into your messages unless you tell it not to.

-__-

s|b

Sep 18, 2016, 11:39:55 AM9/18/16
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:00:59 -0400, Triscal Islington wrote:

> *sigh*
>
> Please ignore that garbage, posting from a windows computer and I guess
> Avast inserts garbage into your messages unless you tell it not to.

It's somewhere in the Mail Shield settings. I've shut down this shield
since it's unnecessary.

--
s|b

Nil

Sep 18, 2016, 1:31:22 PM9/18/16
On 18 Sep 2016, Triscal Islington <trust.your...@mail.ru>
wrote in comp.mobile.android:

> Do you folks have any recommendations for newsreaders that are, at
> the very least, workable for daily use? I'm more than happy to pay
> a reasonable price for an app, but I'd like to know in advance
> that it is better than the rest of the stuff I've tried.

As far as I can tell from the reviews I've read, they all pretty much
suck. And they're not going to get any better because all of them have
been abandoned by their developers.

The only one I've actually tried is NewsGroup Reader. It, too, sucks.
It's very inflexible, but I've forced myself to do things its way, not
mine, so that it's usable as a reader, though posting is such a royal
pain that I rarely do it.

Things I don't like about it: You can't reorder groups. New articles
are listed by the original poster, not the author of the new article.
Random articles display unwrapped and there's no on-the-fly wrapping.
There is a filter feature but it's very limited and tedious to use.

Things I like: it doesn't crash much.

There's a for-pay version that promises more features but it doesn't
say what those features are, and the program hasn't been updated for
several years. The author's web site looks like it's been abandoned.

Triscal Islington

Sep 18, 2016, 1:34:24 PM9/18/16
Yeah, I disabled that immediately after my first post. ;P

Roger Mills

Sep 18, 2016, 2:49:37 PM9/18/16
On 18/09/2016 14:58, Triscal Islington wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm new to the comp.mobile.* category and realized that, while I've been
> a newsgroup user and an android user for ages I've never crossed those
> over. There are a few decent apps for grabbing binaries but all the
> readers on android that I've tried so far are steaming piles of trash.
>
> Do you folks have any recommendations for newsreaders that are, at the
> very least, workable for daily use? I'm more than happy to pay a
> reasonable price for an app, but I'd like to know in advance that it is
> better than the rest of the stuff I've tried.
>
> Cheers,
> Triscal

Which ones have you tried?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Horace Algier

Sep 18, 2016, 6:37:57 PM9/18/16
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 09:58:33 -0400, Triscal Islington wrote:

> Do you folks have any recommendations for newsreaders that are, at the
> very least, workable for daily use?

Question has been asked many (many) times.
Answer is: They all suck.
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android

Best two free ones ...

1. Usenet Reader for Android DEMO (ken.android.nntpreader)
2. NewsGroups (net.piaohong.newsgroup)

Triscal Islington

Sep 18, 2016, 9:04:21 PM9/18/16
On 2016-09-18 11:39 AM, s|b wrote:
Yeah, I immediately disabled that after my first post. ;P

XS11E

Sep 19, 2016, 1:05:27 PM9/19/16
Triscal Islington <trust.your...@mail.ru> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm new to the comp.mobile.* category and realized that, while
> I've been a newsgroup user and an android user for ages I've never
> crossed those over. There are a few decent apps for grabbing
> binaries but all the readers on android that I've tried so far are
> steaming piles of trash.

There are two types of newsreaders for Android, steaming piles of trash
and even worse steaming piles of trash.

I finally decided to read news groups on my PC only.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but it may save you some time,
don't go looking for an "Android Newsgroup Reader that doesn't suck",
there aren't any.

Maybe later? Let's hope.

> ---
> software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

You can set Avast to get rid of this annoying ad.

The Usenet Improvement Project:

XS11E

Sep 19, 2016, 1:06:29 PM9/19/16
Triscal Islington <trust.your...@mail.ru> wrote:

> Yeah, I disabled that immediately after my first post. ;P

Thank you!

s|b

Sep 19, 2016, 3:01:46 PM9/19/16
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 10:09:14 -0700, XS11E wrote:

> > ---
> > software. https://www.avast.com/anti****

> You can set Avast to get rid of this annoying ad.

1. He did that already.
2. Why are you quoting the ad/URL?

--
s|b

Triscal

Sep 19, 2016, 3:22:53 PM9/19/16
If only there was a port of thunderbird for Android, it does a decent job as a reader.

Triscal

Sep 20, 2016, 9:51:04 AM9/20/16

Horace Algier<hor...@horatio.net> wrote:

> Best two free ones ...
> 1. Usenet Reader for Android DEMO (ken.android.nntpreader)
> 2. NewsGroups (net.piaohong.newsgroup)

Usenet Reader for Android DEMO isn't totally awful and I'd probably pay a couple dollars for the full version if it actually existed somewhere. It appears to have disappeared, though.

-___-

Horace Algier

Sep 20, 2016, 10:11:35 AM9/20/16
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 15:22:51 -0400, Triscal wrote:

> If only there was a port of thunderbird for Android, it does a decent job as a reader.

Ug. Thunderbird?

The problem with Thunderbird has been discussed many times, as it's a MUA
more than a NNTP newsreader, but *plenty* of people do fine with TB so if
that's what *you* like, have fun.

The argument of the best computer-based newsreader has been discussed very
often, so you might want to look at the archives first.

http://tinyurl.com/news-software-readers

Horace Algier

Sep 20, 2016, 10:11:48 AM9/20/16
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:51:04 -0400, Triscal wrote:

> Usenet Reader for Android DEMO isn't totally awful and I'd
> probably pay a couple dollars for the full version if it actually
> existed somewhere. It appears to have disappeared, though.

Intersting that it disappeared from Google Play.

I unregistered from Google Play a while ago and disabled all the Google
Play services, so I don't use Google Play, so I won't look it up to see if
it's truly gone (I assume others can do that).

Instead I just use my old APKs.

This is another lesson for having an automatic backup program which saves
all the APKs to your flash drive, in case they disappear over time you
still have them.

But, given how lousy the Usenet readers were anyway, you're better off on a
computer. If all you want to do is *read* the newsgroups. then creating a
link on your desktop to http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android works well
enough.

NOTE: I'm not saying a browser link is a Usenet reader; but it works ok to
just catch up on the newsgroups if that is all you want to do.

AL

Sep 20, 2016, 2:12:20 PM9/20/16
On 9/20/2016 7:11 AM, Horace Algier wrote:

> Instead I just use my old APKs.

When I went from Android 5 to 6, some of my old apps stopped working or
were missing needed parts like menus.

> If all you want to do is *read* the newsgroups. then creating a link
> on your desktop to http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android works well
> enough.

When I'm out and just want to *read* groups on my phone I use Groundhog.
Also reading Google Groups in the Chrome browser works about as well.

> But, given how lousy the Usenet readers were anyway, you're better
> off on a computer.

Agreed.

Triscal Islington

Sep 24, 2016, 8:31:25 PM9/24/16
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:11:33 +0000, Horace Algier wrote:

> Ug. Thunderbird?
>
> The problem with Thunderbird has been discussed many times, as it's a
> MUA more than a NNTP newsreader, but *plenty* of people do fine with TB
> so if that's what *you* like, have fun.

I don't user thunderbird on my computer, I use Pan because I can get an
identical experience on Linux or Windows, but it's harder to imagine a
port of Pan for Android than a major Mozilla product like Thunderbird
getting a port.

Thunderbird has plenty of flaws in regards to being a NNTP newsreader but
it's firmly in the 'not awful' category and it's far and away better than
anything currently available for Android.

--
- Triscal

Jeßus

Oct 3, 2016, 12:14:50 AM10/3/16
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:00:59 -0400, Triscal Islington
Note also how they use an invalid delimiter, so that their spam shows
up in any replies.