What is a good free Usenet news reader for Android?

Winston_Smith

Sep 22, 2015, 7:56:53 PM9/22/15
What is a good free Android Usenet NNTP client for both reading
& posting text-only messages (such as this one).

I want to set that free nntp client up with news.aioe.org:119 and
news.mixmin.net:563 to see if the newsreader works with both free
news servers because I am debugging a certificate issue with the
most populare iOS free newsreader NewsTap Lite.

What is a good free Android news reader for posting text messages?

Nil

Sep 22, 2015, 9:07:34 PM9/22/15
On 22 Sep 2015, Winston_Smith <inv...@butterfly.net> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> What is a good free Android news reader for posting text messages?

I don't know, but I wish I did. I have been trying out "Newsgroups
Reader". Verdict: very Not Good.

Poutnik

Sep 23, 2015, 12:54:14 AM9/23/15
Dne 23/09/2015 v 01:56 Winston_Smith napsal(a):
I gained more or less good experience with these 2,
with light preference for the former.

Be prepared neither of them is an ideal one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader

--
Poutnik ( the Czech word for a wanderer )

Knowledge makes great men humble, but small men arrogant.

Chris

Sep 23, 2015, 3:41:26 AM9/23/15
Poutnik <poutni...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Dne 23/09/2015 v 01:56 Winston_Smith napsal(a):
>> What is a good free Android Usenet NNTP client for both reading
>> & posting text-only messages (such as this one).
>>
>> I want to set that free nntp client up with news.aioe.org:119 and
>> news.mixmin.net:563 to see if the newsreader works with both free
>> news servers because I am debugging a certificate issue with the
>> most populare iOS free newsreader NewsTap Lite.
>>
>> What is a good free Android news reader for posting text messages?
>>
> I gained more or less good experience with these 2,
> with light preference for the former.
>
> Be prepared neither of them is an ideal one.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

I use this one and find it to be pretty good. Basic, but good.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Ralph Fox

Sep 23, 2015, 3:41:52 AM9/23/15
I have been using NewsGroup Reader on my tablet
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

It works a little differently to my regular newsreader Forté Agent,
but once you learn how to it works it is OK.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Poutnik

Sep 23, 2015, 2:40:16 PM9/23/15
Dne 23/09/2015 v 09:41 Chris napsal(a):
> Poutnik <poutni...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
>
> I use this one and find it to be pretty good. Basic, but good.
>
> ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
> http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Seems to me to be the same,
probably being the homepage of net.piaohong.newsgroup

Bob Torello

Sep 24, 2015, 2:26:57 AM9/24/15
On 23/09/2015 09:41, Chris wrote:
> I use this one and find it to be pretty good. Basic, but good.

It's "usable" :-)

--
Evaporare la Grande Madre si può,
partecipa anche tu alla Grande Avventura...

Nil

Sep 24, 2015, 11:52:51 AM9/24/15
On 24 Sep 2015, Bob Torello <rb19...@yahoo.it> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> On 23/09/2015 09:41, Chris wrote:
>> I use this one and find it to be pretty good. Basic, but good.
>
> It's "usable" :-)

Barely.

I hate it.

chris

Sep 25, 2015, 8:39:36 AM9/25/15
How so?

I use the free version and the only real annoyance is the occasional pop
up trying to get me to upgrade. Other than that it does pretty much
everything one would expect from a news client.

Nil

Sep 25, 2015, 3:08:06 PM9/25/15
On 25 Sep 2015, chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> On 24/09/2015 16:52, Nil wrote:

(re. "Newsgroup Reader")

>> I hate it.
>
> How so?
>
> I use the free version and the only real annoyance is the
> occasional pop up trying to get me to upgrade. Other than that it
> does pretty much everything one would expect from a news client.

It crashes too often - I'll enter a group and it will start fetching
headers, then will just pop out of the group to the groups list or out
of the program entirely.

The microscopic font in the tree view is FAR FAR too tiny for me to
read on my phone.

The list of articles shows weird dates - I guess it's the date of the
original article in the thread, but that's not useful to me. I want it
to show the date of the most recent article.

It nags me about every 4th startup to buy the full version. I might be
tempted to do so but for the the issues I have with the free version.

It doesn't seem to be being developed any more, so I guess the issues I
have with it won't be fixed.

parma

Sep 26, 2015, 1:24:31 PM9/26/15
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> Wrote in message:
Mine does not crash, but one can only read one news group at a
time is that a limitation of the free version?

parma

Sep 26, 2015, 1:47:45 PM9/26/15
parma <pa...@e.invalid> Wrote in message:
I just tested and for some reason it can't connect to
comp.mobile.ipad but it can connect to, comp.mobile.android.

I just sent a message to comp.mobile.ipad and of all the messages
in that newsgroup only that one message is downloaded by this
Android news reader.

So something is strange with comp.mobile.ipad and this newsgroup
reader named piaohong usenet client.

Does this newsgroup client work for you on that news group?

parma

Sep 26, 2015, 2:27:11 PM9/26/15
I uninstall the phiohong app and then reinstall the phiohong app
and then added the newsgroups and now it works. I cannot explain
it, but if the app is flaky for you, then just reinstall it and
delete the backup first

Working now.

.

chris

Sep 28, 2015, 9:25:27 AM9/28/15
On 25/09/2015 20:08, Nil wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2015, chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote in
> comp.mobile.android:
>
>> On 24/09/2015 16:52, Nil wrote:
>
> (re. "Newsgroup Reader")
>
>>> I hate it.
>>
>> How so?
>>
>> I use the free version and the only real annoyance is the
>> occasional pop up trying to get me to upgrade. Other than that it
>> does pretty much everything one would expect from a news client.
>
> It crashes too often - I'll enter a group and it will start fetching
> headers, then will just pop out of the group to the groups list or out
> of the program entirely.

I can't remember it ever crashing on me.

> The microscopic font in the tree view is FAR FAR too tiny for me to
> read on my phone.

True, it is a bit small, but the trees I follow are rarely heavily
populated - I only keep unread messages.

> The list of articles shows weird dates - I guess it's the date of the
> original article in the thread, but that's not useful to me. I want it
> to show the date of the most recent article.

I guess that's a personal choice. I always mark remaining messages as
read when I'm finished in an NG. So, I know whenever I look anew that
any threads with unread messages will be recently updated.

> It nags me about every 4th startup to buy the full version. I might be
> tempted to do so but for the the issues I have with the free version.
>
> It doesn't seem to be being developed any more, so I guess the issues I
> have with it won't be fixed.

Those two complaints are linked. You can't complain of being nagged to
pay some money and then also complain that it's not being developed -
presumably because not enough people are paying for it.

If more people paid, I'm sure it would get developed. Although, I'm not
surprised there's not much money in a newsreader Android app. iOS is not
much better btw - I find the only viable option there to be horrendously
non-intuitive.

Roland Schweiger

Sep 28, 2015, 11:50:43 AM9/28/15
"Winston_Smith" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> What is a good free Android Usenet NNTP client for both reading
> & posting text-only messages (such as this one).

I am using this "usenet reader for Android"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro

It handles multiple accounts and does reading / writing.

Suppose any usenet client is somehow dodgy on a small touch device, but i
have had no problems with this program.
It does the job and has no fancy features.

greetings

Roland Schweiger

Nil

Sep 28, 2015, 5:02:32 PM9/28/15
On 28 Sep 2015, chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> On 25/09/2015 20:08, Nil wrote:

>> It doesn't seem to be being developed any more, so I guess the
>> issues I have with it won't be fixed.
>
> Those two complaints are linked. You can't complain of being
> nagged to pay some money and then also complain that it's not
> being developed - presumably because not enough people are paying
> for it.

Oh, yes, I can complain. I'm a fan of shareware and I would be inclined
to give the author money if I felt that the program would be improved
and the flaws addressed. I am not inclined to throw money at a program
that has problems that aren't likely to be fixed. Newsgroup Reader
seems to be a program that was thrown together quickly and then
abandoned.

Winston_Smith

Sep 28, 2015, 8:20:07 PM9/28/15
On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 17:51:39 +0200, Roland Schweiger wrote:

> I am using this "usenet reader for Android"
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
> It handles multiple accounts and does reading / writing.

Thanks for that additional suggestion.

These are the suggested best free newsgroup readers for text reading
and posting that I am testing on Android.

NewsGroup Reader, by PiaoHong
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

Groundhog Usenet Reader, by zoldar
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader

News Commander, by Flexis World
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flexisworld.news_commander

Usenet Reader for Android, by Ken Tsang
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
(The free version only allows 1 newsgroup.)

PhoNews Newsgroup Reader by Christian Grach
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews

Winston_Smith

Sep 28, 2015, 8:42:24 PM9/28/15
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:56:53 +0000, Winston_Smith wrote:

> What is a good free Android Usenet NNTP client for both reading
> & posting text-only messages (such as this one).

Here is a quick summary of the initial tests, which were simply
to add the free nntp server news.mixmin.net on port 563 SSL and
then to subscribe to the two newsgroups comp.mobile.android &
comp.mobile.ipad by searching for "comp.mobile".

Doing that simple task, eliminated instantly three of the five suggested
newsgroup readers.

So only the first two free newsgroup readers are even worth testing.
Android NNTP Usenet newsreaders for posting & reading text newsgroups:

1. NewsGroup Reader, by PiaoHong
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
(Allows multiple newsgroups.)

2. PhoNews Newsgroup Reader by Christian Grach
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews
(Allows multiple newsgroups.)

X. Usenet Reader for Android, by Ken Tsang
X. Groundhog Usenet Reader, by zoldar
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
(Crashes every time. Reporting: "Unfortunately, Groundhog has stopped.")

X. News Commander, by Flexis World
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flexisworld.news_commander
(Reports: In order to use this application you will need to purchase a
subscription This subscription can be bought via Google Play and can be
cancelled at any time.)
If you have input for choosing between the first two free newsgroup clients,
please advise.

Poutnik

Sep 29, 2015, 1:00:14 PM9/29/15
On 09/29/2015 02:42 AM, Winston_Smith wrote:

> So only the first two free newsgroup readers are even worth testing.

Android NNTP Usenet newsreaders for posting & reading text newsgroups:

> 1. NewsGroup Reader, by PiaoHong
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
> (Allows multiple newsgroups.)
>
> 2. PhoNews Newsgroup Reader by Christian Grach
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.cmg.android.phonews
> (Allows multiple newsgroups.)

Does the latter support essential feature of killing/ignoring threads,
like Newsgroup Reader and GroundHog do ?

As I was not able to localize triggering the feature.
At first, I liked it more than Newsgroup Reader
( my 1 leg favourite among the legless ones :-) ),
but then i have realized it looks like
it does not have some essential expected features.

But anyway, I prefer Usenet on Windows/Linux desktops.

Winston_Smith

Sep 29, 2015, 6:52:17 PM9/29/15
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:00:12 +0200, Poutnik wrote:

> Does the latter support essential feature of killing/ignoring threads,
> like Newsgroup Reader and GroundHog do ?

It's too easy to test freeware newsgroup readers on Android because
there are no good ones, and the bad ones fail in seconds.

a. Groundhog fails every single time, because it crashes on me.
b. News Commander fails instantly because it turns out not to be freeware.
c. PhoNews takes slightly longer to fail, because the freeware can't post.
d. Usenet Reader takes slightly longer because you can only post to 1 ng.
e. So, you're left with Newsgroup Reader, as the only working freeware.

While the Newsgroup Reader interface stinks, it's really the only one
out there that is freeware, and that can post to multiple newsgroups.

I wouldn't use Usenet Reader because it reveals too much private
information needlessly in your header.

Here is my summary:
Pro: Allows multiple newsgroups for free.
Con: Not a very usable GUI at all.

2. Usenet Reader for Android, by Ken Tsang
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro
Pro: Allows one newsgroup for free (but no more than one).
Con: Reveals private information in the header such as your phone & OS.

X. PhoNews Newsgroup Reader by Christian Grach
Pro: None
Con: Composing a message is not allowed without purchasing an add-on tool.
Pro: None
Con: Crashes every time. Reporting: "Unfortunately, Groundhog has stopped."
Pro: None
Con: Not freeware. Subscription license.

chris

Sep 30, 2015, 4:12:31 AM9/30/15
Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Nil

Sep 30, 2015, 2:01:58 PM9/30/15
On 30 Sep 2015, chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote in
No, the prophecy has already been fulfilled. I would most likely be
throwing money down the toilet if I contributed now.

Why would I pay for something that doesn't work and has no hope of ever
working?

Mark Turner

Oct 1, 2015, 5:09:20 PM10/1/15
Would any of you be interested in joining the (free) beta for our new (paid for) Usenet client, WizPar?

We support iOS and Android, killfiles and scoring are close to the top of the to-do list, and we have a few novel features coming along in a few weeks.

Details in my signature if you're interested. You can join the beta via the website, with zero financial commitment.

Cheers,

Mark.

Unknown

Oct 1, 2015, 5:20:49 PM10/1/15
The details should have been in my signature, but I was using an old one. Details are at http://www.wizpar.com .

Cheers,

Mark.

Michael Baeuerle

Oct 1, 2015, 6:12:26 PM10/1/15
Only a technical note:
Your article was marked as "format=flowed", but the first line was a
fixed line (no SP at the end).

The standard for this format [1] also say:

| When generating Format=Flowed text, lines SHOULD be 78 characters or
| shorter, [...]

Your article don't follow this recommendation and the result may be
rendered like the quoting above (first line was not rewrapped and stay
too long).

[Xpost & Fup2 set to news.software.nntp]

[1] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676>

Mark Turner

Oct 1, 2015, 6:44:15 PM10/1/15
Thank-you for those comments. We'll look at fixing that!

dunno

Oct 4, 2015, 2:33:07 PM10/4/15
Why it would be news.software.nntp? I'm pretty sure it have to be
news.software.readers since you guys are talking of client software.