What's a good freeware Android nntp newsreader (other than Zoldar Groundhog)?

Danny D'Amico

Nov 19, 2013, 1:05:06 AM11/19/13
If you search Google Play for "nntp newsreader", you don't see Groundhog, so,
I first installed NewsBuddy & TU Graz and almost cried, given the horrid GUI.

Googling outside of Google Play for something better, I found and installed:
Zoldar "Groundhog Newsreader", version 1.20.3:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader&hl=en

So, I'll go with that if it's the best there is, but even that newsreader has
its usability faults.

Before I move on, I wonder if others have recommendations for a better freeware
Android nntp newsreader (for reading & posting to text newsgroups)?

~BD~

Nov 19, 2013, 2:52:47 AM11/19/13
Hi Danny :-)

Are you aware of this facility?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup&hl=en_GB

I've not used it - I'm an Apple guy!

-

c...@isbd.net

Nov 19, 2013, 6:05:27 AM11/19/13
You can do what I do, run an ssh client on your Android device (I use
one called Server Auditor, works well if you're a Unix/Linux addict) and
use a command line NNTP reader like tin (my choice) or slrn.

I find tin in particular far better than any GUI news client that I've
ever tried, and I have tried quite a few.

--
Chris Green
·

[ b a z ]

Nov 19, 2013, 10:14:13 AM11/19/13
Danny D'Amico ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :
NewsGroup Reader from phiaong

--
[ b a z ]
"Scettico io? Ne dubito!"

Danny D'Amico

Nov 20, 2013, 6:17:11 AM11/20/13
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 16:14:13 +0100, [ b a z ] wrote:

> NewsGroup Reader from phiaong

I found nothing by searching for "phiaong" in Google Play.
Searching for "Newsgroup Reader" came up with NewsGroup Reader,
but, it crashes on the Samsung Galaxy SIII every time I press
the "Test Connection" button after setting up the server
aioe.org with a bogus email address (same as the one above).

I'll keep trying, as the GUI on Groundhog is lacking.

[ b a z ]

Nov 20, 2013, 6:33:14 AM11/20/13
Danny D'Amico ha usato la sua tastiera per scrivere :
pardòn, Piaohong...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup&hl=it

~BD~

Nov 20, 2013, 7:58:33 AM11/20/13
<cough>!!!

Then search for "NewsGroup Reader" in Google Play!

I'm trying to HELP you, good buddy!

-

Bubba Yarfkowitz

Nov 21, 2013, 10:50:50 AM11/21/13
on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:14:13 GMT, [ b a z ] <bazzyM...@email.it>
wrote in alt.comp.freeware:

<snip>

> NewsGroup Reader from phiaong

+1. I use this one daily on my Galaxy S3 and on my Nexus 7. Does exactly
what I need it to do, I can't remember if it's ever crashed.

Danny D'Amico

Nov 22, 2013, 2:21:11 AM11/22/13
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:50:50 +0000, Bubba Yarfkowitz wrote:

> +1. I use this one daily on my Galaxy S3 and on my Nexus 7. Does exactly
> what I need it to do, I can't remember if it's ever crashed.

That's good to know. It keeps crashing on me. It must be something
on my setup or on the Galaxy SIII.

Thanks.

- .. -- Tim .-.

Nov 22, 2013, 4:58:07 AM11/22/13
I found it tricky to get started. Mainly because I missed the huge green
tick mark (or check mark? Don't know what it's called in the USA) at the
top right of the screen. So I entered my name for use on the newsgroups
and chosen email address, then thought the next step was 'check
connection', tapped that and the app promptly crashed. Once I realised
the next step was to tap the green tick, however, it seemed to work
after that and I was able to post to groups ok.

Tim.

RS Wood

Nov 28, 2013, 3:15:37 PM11/28/13
Another good one is Phonews. There's a free and a pro/paid version; I
find the paid one worth it. I tried Groundhog and moved away from it.
Its threading wasn't good and it consistently downloads the oldest
posts off the server first, which is annoying on high volume groups.

Oliver Cromm

Nov 29, 2013, 6:06:05 PM11/29/13
* Bubba Yarfkowitz:
/Piaohong/ is what shows up in the article headers.

In high-traffic groups, there's a lot of articles it does not load
for me. I can open a group that I know has 100 messages/day and I
see only 20. It gets better when I pull every day for a while, but
I use the tablet only to glance at Usenet occasionally, when
there's no running PC nearby, and for that, this product is not
suitable.

PhoNews, was not able to load the complete group list of a big
server.

Overall, the state of Android Newsreaders is lamentable.

--
Smith & Wesson--the original point and click interface