Android NNTP client

tlvp

Apr 5, 2014, 10:24:14 PM4/5/14
Help me remember, please -- apart from Groundhog, what other NNTP client
(for use with Android) has gotten itself recommended here, in this NG?

Seems to me there was one with a Chinese-looking name, haobao, or some such
(pardon the unintentional mangling, my memory's bad, Dialog's Search
behavior (to the extent I can control it) is worse :-) , and Google's been
no help to me in this question at all).

Thanks, all. Cheers, -- tlvp

Andy Burns

Apr 5, 2014, 11:34:32 PM4/5/14
tlvp wrote:

> apart from Groundhog, what other NNTP client
> (for use with Android) has gotten itself recommended here

The app you're struggling to remember is this one

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup>

Poutnik

Apr 6, 2014, 12:50:21 AM4/6/14

Andy Burns posted Sun, 06 Apr 2014 04:34:32 +0100
On my Sony Xperia M Dual with new Android 4.3
when test connection button is tested with filled
connection+login data,

I get "the application was terminated" message.
AFAIK, the behaviour was the same with original A 4.2.2.

If I avoided this by pressing the green check mark,
the server setting were stored.

But when I have tried to add a group, it got killed again.

Now I remember why I gave up in the first time,
when somebody asked me if I have tries this.

I know somebody uses G2 client on Android,
but I think it is not free, but vendor or provider specific.

And it was observed unable
to quote a massage being replied.

--
Poutnik

There is a good reason, why writers/directors do not repeat
all previous pages/episodes at the start of current one.

tlvp

Apr 6, 2014, 1:11:11 AM4/6/14
Yes, PiaoHong, that was it :-) ! Thank you. But didn't its .apk used to be
served from a Turkish ( .tk ) web site? That site seems to be for sale now.
Is there any non-Google site offering that software any more?

Thanks for the lead. Cheers, -- tlvp

tlvp

Apr 6, 2014, 1:21:53 AM4/6/14
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 01:11:11 -0400, tlvp wrote:

>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup>
>
> Yes, PiaoHong, that was it :-) ! Thank you. But didn't its .apk used to be
> served from a Turkish ( .tk ) web site? That site seems to be for sale now.

In fact, google itself lists <http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup> as the
"Developer's Website", but that redirects to a randomly selected assortment
of other places today. I'll have to email piao...@gmail.com to learn more.

Nuts on me that I didn't DL the .apk while it was not yet Google's. -- tlvp

tlvp

Apr 6, 2014, 1:59:22 AM4/6/14
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 01:21:53 -0400, tlvp wrote:

> In fact, google itself lists <http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup> as the
> "Developer's Website", but that redirects to a randomly selected assortment
> of other places today.

What's worse, feeding the WayBack Machine at http://archive.org/web that
URL reveals that for all TLD TK there are now "User-agent: * ; Disallow: /"
directives for robots.txt, so that *nothing* can be recaptured. So, really:

> I'll have to email piao...@gmail.com to learn more.

Cheers, -- tlvp

Machiel de Wit

Apr 6, 2014, 6:40:47 AM4/6/14
tlvp schreef op 06-04-2014
in <hocuf7b0h2rp.1nt0pcl9ojmgy$.d...@40tude.net>:
Try K-9, ik think is't nicer to use.
Bud im still looking for a nntp client.
Stil hoping for MewNews for Android. :-)

--
MdW.

Roger Mills

Apr 6, 2014, 6:48:00 AM4/6/14
There's one (unimaginatively) called "Android Usenet Reader" which I use
and which isn't too bad.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Poutnik

Apr 6, 2014, 7:01:24 AM4/6/14

Machiel de Wit posted Sun, 06 Apr 2014 12:40:47 +0200
I use K-9 as email client.

Does it have NNTP capabilities as well ?
I have perhaps missed it, or postponed and forgot...

It would be great good news to me,
as I like K-9 email client.

John B.

Apr 6, 2014, 7:51:40 AM4/6/14
On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 22:24:14 -0400, tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>
wrote:
I googled "Usenet client for Android" and got nearly 27,000 hits
:-)Found something called "Android Usenet Reader", but no Haobao.
there is a PhoNews though.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Patrick

Apr 6, 2014, 10:30:59 AM4/6/14
On 06/04/2014 11:48, Roger Mills wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 03:24, tlvp wrote:
>> Help me remember, please -- apart from Groundhog, what other NNTP client
>> (for use with Android) has gotten itself recommended here, in this NG?
>>
>> Seems to me there was one with a Chinese-looking name, haobao, or some
>> such
>> (pardon the unintentional mangling, my memory's bad, Dialog's Search
>> behavior (to the extent I can control it) is worse :-) , and Google's
>> been
>> no help to me in this question at all).
>>
>> Thanks, all. Cheers, -- tlvp
>
> There's one (unimaginatively) called "Android Usenet Reader" which I use
> and which isn't too bad.

Haven't tried it myself yet but here's address for above mentioned:
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk/

Whiskers

Apr 6, 2014, 11:09:25 AM4/6/14
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> Wrote in message:
This one is probably the one you mean, but you seem not to like it.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

Machiel de Wit

Apr 6, 2014, 4:36:59 PM4/6/14
Poutnik schreef op 06-04-2014
in <MPG.2dab526...@news.eternal-september.org>:
> Machiel de Wit posted Sun, 06 Apr 2014 12:40:47 +0200
>

>> tlvp schreef op 06-04-2014
>> in <hocuf7b0h2rp.1nt0pcl9ojmgy$.d...@40tude.net>:
>>> Help me remember, please -- apart from Groundhog, what other NNTP
>>> client (for use with Android) has gotten itself recommended here,
>>> in this NG?
>>>
>>> Seems to me there was one with a Chinese-looking name, haobao, or
>>> some such (pardon the unintentional mangling, my memory's bad,
>>> Dialog's Search behavior (to the extent I can control it) is worse
>>> :-) , and Google's been no help to me in this question at all).
>>>
>>> Thanks, all. Cheers, -- tlvp
>>
>> Try K-9, ik think is't nicer to use.
>> Bud im still looking for a nntp client.
>> Stil hoping for MewNews for Android. :-)
>
> I use K-9 as email client.
>
> Does it have NNTP capabilities as well ?
> I have perhaps missed it, or postponed and forgot...
>
> It would be great good news to me,
> as I like K-9 email client.

I made a mistake, K-9 is indeed my mail client.
Groundhog is the app, sorry.

--
MdW.

Whiskers

Apr 7, 2014, 6:57:09 AM4/7/14
I don't think I've seen it mentioned anywhere, and I haven't tried it
yet, but "HotdogEd NNTP Provider" looks interesting (not free, and there
doesn't seem to be a 'demo' version).
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pushkin.hotdoged.nntp>

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

tlvp

Apr 7, 2014, 4:10:26 PM4/7/14
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 01:11:11 -0400, tlvp responded to the advice,:

>> The app you're struggling to remember is this one
>>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup>
:
> Yes, PiaoHong, that was it :-) !

Reason for my interest was my hope that its .apk, once converted to a .bar,
might provide a good NNTP client for a BlackBerry PlayBook. Alas, reliable
sources indicate that the resulting .bar won't install in a PlayBook.

I'll have to try again, starting with the .apk for GroundHog. Or maybe for
Qmail? does that include an NNTP client these days?

tlvp

Apr 7, 2014, 5:24:03 PM4/7/14
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 16:09:25 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Whiskers wrote:

> ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
> http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup

Yes, that's the one. But that Turkish site, alas, is now on the market.

tlvp

Apr 7, 2014, 5:43:29 PM4/7/14
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 18:51:40 +0700, John B. wrote:

> I googled "Usenet client for Android" and got nearly 27,000 hits
> :-)Found something called "Android Usenet Reader", but no Haobao.
> there is a PhoNews though.

Thanks, John B. Through others' efforts it turns out what I was thinking of
involved the name PiaoHong ... but that's one of the roughly 2 out of 3
Android apps whose .apk converts to a BB .bar file that won't run on a BB
PlayBook. Leaves me still seeking a PlayBook NNTP client. Cheers, -- tlvp

Machiel de Wit

Apr 7, 2014, 6:17:52 PM4/7/14
tlvp schreef op 07-04-2014
in <f8t0laz5zcza$.nc6ljne6...@40tude.net>:
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 16:09:25 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Whiskers wrote:
>
>> ----Android NewsGroup Reader----
>> http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup
>
> Yes, that's the one. But that Turkish site, alas, is now on the
> market.

I have found a very nice reader,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
Works fine.

Just don't test te connection the first time, then it crashes.
Only save settings (upper right green mark) and add a group.
The the test works fine.

--
MdW.

tlvp

Apr 7, 2014, 9:24:27 PM4/7/14
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 00:17:52 +0200, Machiel de Wit wrote:

> I have found ...
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
> Works fine.

Ah, yes, that's the one, as offered in Google Play. Alas, once converted to
a .bar file by the GoodEReader.com BAR converter, it won't run on PlayBook,
which was my prime reason for trying to dig it up.

But thank you very much for having found it, and for letting this NG serve
to record its whereabouts on the web. That'll help others. Cheers, -- tlvp

Poutnik

Apr 8, 2014, 1:45:44 AM4/8/14

Machiel de Wit posted Tue, 08 Apr 2014 00:17:52 +0200
I am evaluating its demo for a while, with single group.

Some its features are very fine,
especially displaying one, compared to GroundHog.

But misses some that GroundHog has, or I have not found them yet.

For now, GroundHog still little wins for me on points.

Poutnik

Apr 8, 2014, 2:26:46 AM4/8/14

Poutnik posted Tue, 8 Apr 2014 07:45:44 +0200

> Machiel de Wit posted Tue, 08 Apr 2014 00:17:52 +0200
>
> I am evaluating its demo for a while, with single group.
>
> Some its features are very fine,
> especially displaying one, compared to GroundHog.
>
> But misses some that GroundHog has, or I have not found them yet.
>
> For now, GroundHog still little wins for me on points.

oops, I confused it with other client.

This one does not run for me at all,
keeps crashing at test,
as well as fetching the group.

Machiel de Wit

Apr 8, 2014, 2:57:17 PM4/8/14
Poutnik schreef op 08-04-2014
in <MPG.2dadb50...@news.eternal-september.org>:
> Poutnik posted Tue, 8 Apr 2014 07:45:44 +0200
>
>> Machiel de Wit posted Tue, 08 Apr 2014 00:17:52 +0200
>>
>> I am evaluating its demo for a while, with single group.
>>
>> Some its features are very fine,
>> especially displaying one, compared to GroundHog.
>>
>> But misses some that GroundHog has, or I have not found them yet.
>>
>> For now, GroundHog still little wins for me on points.
>
> oops, I confused it with other client.
>
> This one does not run for me at all,
> keeps crashing at test,
> as well as fetching the group.

Read my contibute in this discussion about the crash...

--
MdW.

Poutnik

Apr 9, 2014, 1:51:01 AM4/9/14

Machiel de Wit posted Tue, 08 Apr 2014 20:57:17 +0200
I see.
I have realized my 2nd crash was caused
by typo in server hostname.

I am evaluating....