Most populair and useful usenet client for text

BugHunter

Feb 19, 2017, 1:54:42 PM2/19/17

What is the most populair and useful usenet
client for text for my android phone?

--
\ / http://nieuwsgroepen.tk
------------///-----------------------------

Poutnik

Feb 19, 2017, 2:21:25 PM2/19/17
Dne 19/02/2017 v 19:53 BugHunter napsal(a):
> What is the most populair and useful usenet
> client for text for my android phone?

Hm, the most popular client may not be the most useful
for you and vice versa.
Neither the most useful for others may not be as useful for you.

I do not use Usenet client any more,
but when I did, I liked the most these two:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
may be buggy, but better features, AFAIK

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
Less features, but looked better.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,
as they say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

AL

Feb 19, 2017, 2:36:51 PM2/19/17
On 2/19/2017 12:21 PM, Poutnik wrote:
> Dne 19/02/2017 v 19:53 BugHunter napsal(a):
>> What is the most populair and useful usenet client for text for my
>> android phone?
>>
> Hm, the most popular client may not be the most useful for you and
> vice versa. Neither the most useful for others may not be as useful
> for you.
>
> I do not use Usenet client any more, but when I did, I liked the
> most these two:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
> may be buggy, but better features, AFAIK

My last post was made using Newsgroup (paid version of Newsreader). I've
noticed no bugs. It is quite different in operation from other readers
I've used and took some getting used to, but certainly does the job.
Groundhog doesn't work on my Samsung devices with the hardwired buttons
(Home etc) as the menu doesn't show up at the bottom of the screen
making it quite useless. However it works just fine on my tablets/phone
with the software buttons.

AL

Feb 19, 2017, 2:48:29 PM2/19/17
On 2/19/2017 12:36 PM, AL wrote:

> My last post was made using Newsgroup (paid version of Newsreader).

I got that backwards. I have 'Newsreader' which is the paid version of
'Newsgroups'. Easier if he'd just added a 'PRO'... :-/

BugHunter

Feb 19, 2017, 2:53:02 PM2/19/17
Poutnik <poutni...@gmail.com> schreef op Zo 19 Feb 2017 om 20:21:
> Dne 19/02/2017 v 19:53 BugHunter napsal(a):
> > What is the most populair and useful usenet
> > client for text for my android phone?
> >
> Hm, the most popular client may not be the most useful
> for you and vice versa.
> Neither the most useful for others may not be as useful for you.
>
> I do not use Usenet client any more,
> but when I did, I liked the most these two:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
> may be buggy, but better features, AFAIK
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
> Less features, but looked better.

I choosed Groundhog. Thanks. Now I look for
a way to post. :-)

Frank Slootweg

Feb 19, 2017, 3:01:45 PM2/19/17
AL <135...@invalid.com> wrote:
[...]
> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
> >Less features, but looked better.
>
> Groundhog doesn't work on my Samsung devices with the hardwired buttons
> (Home etc) as the menu doesn't show up at the bottom of the screen
> making it quite useless. However it works just fine on my tablets/phone
> with the software buttons.

Do the "Samsung devices with the hardwired buttons" have a hardwired
(i.e. *off*screen) *menu* (three horizontal bars) button?

If so, there *should* be no menu on the screen and the hardwired menu
button should be used/useable to get the menu. So there should be 1) no
menu on the screen for devices which do have a hardwired menu-button
*or* 2) a menu on the screen for devices which have no hardwired
menu-button.

This method was developed when device-designs went from menu-button to
no menu-button,

However, some apps fsck this up by either 1) giving an on-screen menu
while there is a menu-button (confusion all over), or, worse 2) not
displaying a on-screen menu while there's no menu-button (i.e. the app
doesn't work).

Poutnik

Feb 19, 2017, 3:05:58 PM2/19/17
Dne 19/02/2017 v 20:51 BugHunter napsal(a):
> Poutnik <poutni...@gmail.com> schreef op Zo 19 Feb 2017 om 20:21:
>> Dne 19/02/2017 v 19:53 BugHunter napsal(a):
>>> What is the most populair and useful usenet
>>> client for text for my android phone?
>>>
>> Hm, the most popular client may not be the most useful
>> for you and vice versa.
>> Neither the most useful for others may not be as useful for you.
>>
>> I do not use Usenet client any more,
>> but when I did, I liked the most these two:
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup
>> may be buggy, but better features, AFAIK
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almarsoft.GroundhogReader
>> Less features, but looked better.
>

> I choosed Groundhog. Thanks. Now I look for
> a way to post. :-)

As I remember, it has a drawback
it does not support quote folding.

It was annoying at long chain posts.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 19, 2017, 3:10:59 PM2/19/17
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:53:19 +0100, BugHunter wrote:

> What is the most populair and useful usenet
> client for text for my android phone?

The first response you received is the best answer.
Another answer, which isn't completely what you asked, is simply to save a
link to the following URL in your Usenet folder on your desktop:

http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android

Note that this only allow you to *read* Usenet posts.
You can't post using that mechanism (excepting Google Groups logins).

NOTE: I realize this isn't the answer to your question.
It's just a quick single-button press method to catch up on *reading*
Usenet newsgroups.

Poutnik

Feb 19, 2017, 3:15:12 PM2/19/17
Dne 19/02/2017 v 21:01 Frank Slootweg napsal(a):
Note that the last update was Nov 2010,
for Android 1.6+, if it matters.

Roger Mills

Feb 19, 2017, 3:23:53 PM2/19/17
On 19/02/2017 18:53, BugHunter wrote:
> What is the most populair and useful usenet
> client for text for my android phone?

I've tried several, but haven't found one which comes anywhere near the
usability of PC-based programs such as Thunderbird.

If you find one, please let me know!
--
Cheers,
Roger

BugHunter

Feb 19, 2017, 3:36:42 PM2/19/17
Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> schreef op Zo 19 Feb 2017 om 20:10:
Thank you, I installed Groundhog, and it
works good.

AL

Feb 19, 2017, 4:30:38 PM2/19/17
On 2/19/2017 1:01 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> AL <135...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> Groundhog doesn't work on my Samsung devices with the hardwired
>> buttons (Home etc) as the menu doesn't show up at the bottom of the
>> screen making it quite useless. However it works just fine on my
>> tablets/phone with the software buttons.
>
> Do the "Samsung devices with the hardwired buttons" have a hardwired
> (i.e. *off*screen) *menu* (three horizontal bars) button?

My Samsung devices (like my Galaxy Tab S2 for example) have the usual
three buttons: Back, Home, and Overview (App thumbnails) and are hard
mounted, two are touch with back-lit LEDs and the third (Home) is
mechanical like an iPad. But there is no 'menu' button.

> If so, there *should* be no menu on the screen and the hardwired
> menu button should be used/useable to get the menu. So there should
> be 1) no menu on the screen for devices which do have a hardwired
> menu-button *or* 2) a menu on the screen for devices which have no
> hardwired menu-button.

It gets weirder. With a 7" RCA tablet of mine the Groundhog menu icon (3
dots) shows in landscape but not portrait mode.

> This method was developed when device-designs went from menu-button
> to no menu-button,
>
> However, some apps fsck this up by either 1) giving an on-screen
> menu while there is a menu-button (confusion all over), or, worse 2)
> not displaying a on-screen menu while there's no menu-button (i.e.
> the app doesn't work).

Yup. Old software doesn't always continue to work with new hardware.

Nil

Feb 19, 2017, 6:38:10 PM2/19/17
On 19 Feb 2017, Roger Mills <watt....@gmail.com> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> On 19/02/2017 18:53, BugHunter wrote:
>> What is the most populair and useful usenet
>> client for text for my android phone?
>
> I've tried several, but haven't found one which comes anywhere
> near the usability of PC-based programs such as Thunderbird.
>
> If you find one, please let me know!

I've never found a good one. I don't believe there is one, and I don't
think there will ever be. Usenet users are such a small market that I
doubt that a programmer would find it to be worth their time. As it is,
all the available ones are half-finished, half-functional, and
abandoned.

I use "Newsgroup Reader" and it gets the basic job done, but it's a
tedious PITA. It had some potential that will never be realized.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

Carlos E. R.

Feb 19, 2017, 7:59:39 PM2/19/17
On 2017-02-20 00:38, Nil wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2017, Roger Mills <> wrote in
> comp.mobile.android:

>> If you find one, please let me know!
>
> I've never found a good one. I don't believe there is one, and I don't
> think there will ever be. Usenet users are such a small market that I
> doubt that a programmer would find it to be worth their time. As it is,
> all the available ones are half-finished, half-functional, and
> abandoned.

Maybe if Thunderbird gets migrated to Android... :-?

Otherwise, run a terminal app and ssh to a Linux server where you run a
text nntp client :-?

Anyway, I prefer not to do things that require typing on Android. Any
laptop with a keyboard is preferable.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

The Real Bev

Feb 19, 2017, 11:03:03 PM2/19/17
On 02/19/2017 04:30 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2017-02-20 00:38, Nil wrote:
>> On 19 Feb 2017, Roger Mills <> wrote in
>> comp.mobile.android:
>
>>> If you find one, please let me know!
>>
>> I've never found a good one. I don't believe there is one, and I don't
>> think there will ever be. Usenet users are such a small market that I
>> doubt that a programmer would find it to be worth their time. As it is,
>> all the available ones are half-finished, half-functional, and
>> abandoned.
>
> Maybe if Thunderbird gets migrated to Android... :-?

Not likely. They aren't even updating it any more.

> Otherwise, run a terminal app and ssh to a Linux server where you run a
> text nntp client :-?
>
> Anyway, I prefer not to do things that require typing on Android. Any
> laptop with a keyboard is preferable.

Ditto.

--
Cheers, Bev
"People are too stupid to realize they are."

Carlos E. R.

Feb 19, 2017, 11:12:31 PM2/19/17
On 2017-02-20 05:03, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 02/19/2017 04:30 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> Maybe if Thunderbird gets migrated to Android... :-?
>
> Not likely. They aren't even updating it any more.

No, no. The Linux Thunderbird gets updates. I got one about a week ago.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Nil

Feb 19, 2017, 11:25:03 PM2/19/17
On 19 Feb 2017, "Carlos E. R." <robin_...@invalid.es> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> Maybe if Thunderbird gets migrated to Android... :-?

I hate Thunderbird as a Usenet client on a PC, but it would still be
miles better than any Android client I've tried.

> Otherwise, run a terminal app and ssh to a Linux server where you
> run a text nntp client :-?

That would be painful on my small phone screen, especially having to
type all commands.

> Anyway, I prefer not to do things that require typing on Android.
> Any laptop with a keyboard is preferable.

Amen.

The Real Bev

Feb 20, 2017, 12:22:26 AM2/20/17
I'm still running 38 by choice. They've announced that Version xx will
be the last one. Kind of hazy now, but they may be turning it over to
some nonprofit group. Real shame that people don't care that much about
improving email programs any more.

Although Android stuff gets updated maybe every 45 minutes, which is a
real nuisance -- especially when the icons disappear from the 'home'
pages and the UI changes drastically :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."

nospam

Feb 20, 2017, 12:31:00 AM2/20/17
In article <o8dub0$j1g$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Although Android stuff gets updated maybe every 45 minutes, which is a
> real nuisance -- especially when the icons disappear from the 'home'
> pages and the UI changes drastically :-(

the icons don't do that and their ui doesn't change much, if at all.

Poutnik

Feb 20, 2017, 1:53:33 AM2/20/17
Dne 20/02/2017 v 00:38 Nil napsal(a):

> I've never found a good one. I don't believe there is one, and I don't
> think there will ever be. Usenet users are such a small market that I
> doubt that a programmer would find it to be worth their time. As it is,
> all the available ones are half-finished, half-functional, and
> abandoned.
>
> I use "Newsgroup Reader" and it gets the basic job done, but it's a
> tedious PITA. It had some potential that will never be realized.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.piaohong.newsgroup

The above is more or less the reason,
why I have given up accessing Usenet via Android.

If I very rarely want to do that,
I access the GG via the browser.

Andy Burns

Feb 20, 2017, 8:16:22 AM2/20/17
BugHunter wrote:

> What is the most populair and useful usenet
> client for text for my android phone?

There are several, I see people have recommended the usual suspects, I
doubt you'll get on with either of them, and you shouldn't waste too
much time looking for alternatives, there aren't any *really* good ones.

Carlos E. R.

Feb 20, 2017, 8:59:12 AM2/20/17
On 2017-02-20 06:22, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 02/19/2017 08:11 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> Not likely. They aren't even updating it any more.
>>
>> No, no. The Linux Thunderbird gets updates. I got one about a week ago.
>
> I'm still running 38 by choice. They've announced that Version xx will
> be the last one. Kind of hazy now, but they may be turning it over to
> some nonprofit group. Real shame that people don't care that much about
> improving email programs any more.

Do you have a source for that?

What I read on the Wikipedia is that on 2012 they said that they dropped
the priority of new development. Basically what it means is that they
switch to maintenance mode. The community can add new features.

> Although Android stuff gets updated maybe every 45 minutes, which is a
> real nuisance -- especially when the icons disappear from the 'home'
> pages and the UI changes drastically :-(

I don't see any of that.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Carlos E. R.

Feb 20, 2017, 8:59:13 AM2/20/17
On 2017-02-20 05:25, Nil wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2017, "Carlos E. R." <robin_...@invalid.es> wrote in
> comp.mobile.android:

>> Otherwise, run a terminal app and ssh to a Linux server where you
>> run a text nntp client :-?
>
> That would be painful on my small phone screen, especially having to
> type all commands.

Indeed. Perhaps on a tablet.

That said, on Android you can dictate... if you are alone :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

BugHunter

Feb 20, 2017, 9:45:57 AM2/20/17
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> schreef op Ma 20 Feb 2017 om 13:17:
Groundhog is free, I installed it and it
works fine. Thanks to all.

The Real Bev

Feb 20, 2017, 5:04:17 PM2/20/17

https://techcrunch.com/2015/11/30/thunderbird-flies-away-from-mozilla/

> What I read on the Wikipedia is that on 2012 they said that they dropped
> the priority of new development. Basically what it means is that they
> switch to maintenance mode. The community can add new features.
>
>> Although Android stuff gets updated maybe every 45 minutes, which is a
>> real nuisance -- especially when the icons disappear from the 'home'
>> pages and the UI changes drastically :-(
>
> I don't see any of that.

ES File Explorer used to be nice and clean. Now it insists on offering
you crap like logger, sender, compressed, app, images, music, movies
etc. I just want something to locate, copy and move files from where
they are to where I want them to be. I know where my photos are. I can
probably go through and change defaults, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Every morning I get notified about a mess of available updates -- at
least half a dozen. I leave the phone turned on overnight, but on
airplane mode with all apps and location services apparently killed.
Even so, I generally use between 2 and 10% of my battery in 8 hours.
doing NOTHING.

Carlos E. R.

Feb 20, 2017, 6:59:40 PM2/20/17
On 2017-02-20 23:04, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 02/20/2017 05:48 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> I'm still running 38 by choice. They've announced that Version xx will
>>> be the last one. Kind of hazy now, but they may be turning it over to
>>> some nonprofit group. Real shame that people don't care that much about
>>> improving email programs any more.
>>
>> Do you have a source for that?
>
> https://techcrunch.com/2015/11/30/thunderbird-flies-away-from-mozilla/

Well, but they are not dropping thunderbird, just going slower, in
maintenance mode.

Of course, it means they will not provide an Android version.

>>> Although Android stuff gets updated maybe every 45 minutes, which is a
>>> real nuisance -- especially when the icons disappear from the 'home'
>>> pages and the UI changes drastically :-(
>>
>> I don't see any of that.
>
> ES File Explorer used to be nice and clean. Now it insists on offering
> you crap like logger, sender, compressed, app, images, music, movies
> etc.

That's true. And adds.
It changed ownership. It was sold.

> I just want something to locate, copy and move files from where
> they are to where I want them to be. I know where my photos are. I can
> probably go through and change defaults, but I shouldn't have to do that.

There are other file browsers. I recently tried a few. I can suggest
Ghost Commander and Total Commander (I prefer the former). Maybe Unix Admin.

I have a problem with GC, though. I was trying to find a tool for doing
SFTP, but it gets permission denied when copying the downloaded files to
anywhere except the download directory. I'm unsure yet if it affects
normal file copy.

> Every morning I get notified about a mess of available updates -- at
> least half a dozen. I leave the phone turned on overnight, but on
> airplane mode with all apps and location services apparently killed.
> Even so, I generally use between 2 and 10% of my battery in 8 hours.
> doing NOTHING.

I connect it to the charger while I sleep, in don't disturb mode. Just
don't use a fast charger, rather a slow one. Sometimes I get a dozen
updates a day, but often none.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Chris

Feb 21, 2017, 3:40:46 AM2/21/17
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
If it's on, it's not doing nothing.

If that tiny amount of battery usage is a problem, just turn it off. It's
of little use in airplane mode anyway.

tlvp

Feb 21, 2017, 2:05:13 PM2/21/17
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 14:04:14 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:

> ES File Explorer used to be nice and clean. Now it insists on offering
> you crap like l ...

So, Bev (or anyone), can you suggest any ES version number(s) I should be
looking for if I want to revert to one of those "nice and clean" editions?

Thanks! Cheers, -- tlvp

The Real Bev

Feb 21, 2017, 7:36:24 PM2/21/17
I leave it on because it takes a long time to turn on. It's not a
problem, I just regard batteries as having a finite number of lifetime
[units] of power available, and wasting them on NOTHING seems just wrong.

--
Cheers, Bev
Polish loan sharks: they loan you money and then skip town.

The Real Bev

Feb 21, 2017, 7:38:44 PM2/21/17
On 02/21/2017 11:05 AM, tlvp wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 14:04:14 -0800, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> ES File Explorer used to be nice and clean. Now it insists on offering
>> you crap like l ...
>
> So, Bev (or anyone), can you suggest any ES version number(s) I should be
> looking for if I want to revert to one of those "nice and clean" editions?

Something 2 or 3 years old, maybe. Not a clue about version numbers.
You can revert the non-removable google apps to their original versions,
but that doesn't seem possible to do with ordinary apps.