Encrypted flash drive and the command line?

Dec 22, 2020, 9:25:59 PM12/22/20
Hi W10 and Batch,

Windows 10-20H2

Anyone know of a USB3 encrypted flash drive that
can be mounted from the command line?

Many thanks,
-T

JJ

Dec 23, 2020, 1:26:18 AM12/23/20
Windows' BitLocker has a command line interface.

Dec 23, 2020, 2:02:57 AM12/23/20
I am specifically looking for an encrypted flash
drive (hardware), but thank you anyway

Paul

Dec 23, 2020, 2:17:33 AM12/23/20
It looks like a trap for the unsuspecting.

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/141907-disable-format-prompt-encrypted-usb-stick.html

And that JJ's suggestion is the better choice - Bitlocker.

In a domain, there are some controls you might use,
to make the Bitlocker treatment uniform from one
machine to another, that the user sits at.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/jj679890%28v=ws.11%29?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Any employee using this feature, will need to be given
the best practices for Bitlocker document, and sign off
on having read and understood it. Is there a way for
the Administrator of a domain, to have a recovery disc
that handles all the USB sticks ? Dunno. When the
stick is taken offsite, the Bitlocker info will need
to be used to access the stick on the offsite computer.
(keylogger???)

In many administrator situations, it's better to just
crush the employee with a brick, than let them do this!
(HIPAA exposure... if you're not doing it right).

Then, when you're at a border crossing, some dufus will
be asking you for the password, while scanning all your
electronic devices.

I see nothing but good times ahead.

Paul

Dec 23, 2020, 3:07:21 AM12/23/20
I prefer winpgp, but six of one, half dozen of another

Cobian backup has the option to encrypt individual files.
I want the entire flash drive encrypted, not individual
files.

You are psychic. The encrypted flash drive is to prove
that if anyone steals a backup flash drive, they steal
a stone.

This would be so much freaking easier if they were using
Linux. I'd just LUKS encrypt the flash drive.

Andy Burns

Dec 23, 2020, 4:02:01 AM12/23/20
Paul wrote:

> In many administrator situations, it's better to just
> crush the employee with a brick, than let them do this!

For some vehicle mounted computers, the spec asked for encrypted data
disc, this was handled by the supplier running a .bat file using the
bitlocker recovery key from task scheduler on startup, I tried pointing
out how pointless this was ... deaf ears.

nospam

Dec 23, 2020, 6:33:54 AM12/23/20
In article <rrutrn$u7k$1...@dont-email.me>, <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> The encrypted flash drive is to prove
> that if anyone steals a backup flash drive, they steal
> a stone.

get an encrypted usb drive, such as ironkey.

Arlen Holder

Dec 23, 2020, 8:32:20 AM12/23/20
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 18:25:57 -0800, T wrote:

> Anyone know of a USB3 encrypted flash drive that
> can be mounted from the command line?

WARNING: This "T" is a troll who has plans to spam this ng to death! (IMHO)

To the adults on this ng, please feel free to spend your energy
"helping" this "T" character, who, like "micky", spends 10 seconds
fabricating his queries out of absolutely nothing, IMHO,
before his inevitable always infantile political payload ensues.

This "T" troll is _easily_ proven to be a troll, so I simply warn
the adults on this newsgroup this "T" told us to "go fuck off"
when he was asked to stop his infantile trolls (wait for his payload).

See FACTS below that this "T" cannot refute (because they're facts):
o <https://i.postimg.cc/52nK78Ph/Troll-Named-T.jpg> (recent trolls by T)

Does this "T" troll want to dispute these facts?
o Let it try.

I'm not afraid of the facts.
o These are just _some_ of "T"'s never ending infantile political trolling...

o NV check your vote, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/NHDG4J8MFtg>

o White Supremacist's/Racist's dream come true!, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/yn4GDmz8T-U>

o more great news on the commie flu front, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/RZSRQ4-3iV4>

o fake election drop off in CA, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/rtCT858l3Ls>

o Floyd footage leaked, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/hVU-gR-1IPM>

o Trump makes six promises, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/TwIpHx_NeSI>

o Biden jsut lied again about not wanting to ban fracking, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/P-zuuMeZdNc>

o Fauci worst pitch and social distancing, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/HxhtPllanNc>

o Japan commie flu death rate versus ..., by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/4vh4XQV36vo>

o Damn! Comrade Bob was right about something, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/XI4f1G1GzsY>

o Kamala Ain't Black and her family owned slaves, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/m-cMmMrpzlc>

o Cheat By mail ballot arriving, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/PobURJoRVYE>

o the real Russian colluder exposed, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/GjzkDJFSs2k>

o Comrade Bob: is this one fake too?, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/UJzQ_SKni9E>

o Trump is reforming the H1B visa program!, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/Xbx6ld2oxoc>

o they caught the guy who peacefully shot the two cops in LA County, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/jMI3i7TnFtA>

o gun rights in Afghanistan, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/p8kaTQXkrdw>

o The Great Barrington Declaration, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/iEyOMXMPRp0>

o Four more years of George Bush, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/yxd8rigc6fk>

o I'm running for the Senate!, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/4ZirsnnjxR0>

o badakathcare, Who let him out of the rest home? Again!, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/1VW5LSN4jd0>

o More on the NV cheat-by-mail, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/I0Tfk1V1Pb0>

o but lower than, that ye shall not drag me!, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/GU0xJ7CjoWM>

o Leftist violence, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/ayDzg4NgjEM>

o Who let this guy out of the rest home???, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/xgF6VLI2ZJ8>

o Cookie Poll!, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/G2kFp8GtgTw>

o Biden lying about taking your guns, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/sKA3q3o5OsI>

o name calling, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/9wC-fCiPGTs>

o today's really bad kid joke, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/i-9pqfrVFtY>

o ACB just got sworn in, by T, to the home-repair newsgroup
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/Wv3aCkVxCXk>

Also notice this "T" and "micky" and "Bob F." very often post
together on the same infantile topic, which again, is it's MO:
o <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/HxhtPllanNc/m/Gxau5d7LAQAJ>

Check this one out, for example, where "T" congratulates "micky" on
yet another infantile off topic political troll, where "T" declares
that he'll just killfile anyone who objects to his off topic crap:
o <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.home.repair/c/XSngUl__fMU/m/fI267PA8AAAJ>

In summary, feel free to "help" this "T" troll; but bear in mind
_everything_ I show above is a fact that this "T" can't deny.

Arlen Holder

Dec 23, 2020, 8:37:13 AM12/23/20
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 13:26:16 +0700, JJ wrote:

> Windows' BitLocker has a command line interface.

Hi JJ,

I've noticed that this "T" troll asks wholly fabricated bullshit questions
(much like "micky" whom "T" often congratulates on his trolling, as does
"Bob F") are all the same sock, most likely (IMHO).

That's based on their infantile trolling of the exact same methods, and the
similaritie4s in their headers, and the fact they all openly told anyone
who asks them to stop trolling to "go fuck yourself". <== that's a fact!

Simply keep these facts in mind (see proof in my other post) when spending
any energy on this "T" troll whom, I suspect, has plans for this ng which
he already implemented in other newsgroups for his infantile political
payload.

Arlen Holder

Dec 23, 2020, 8:39:02 AM12/23/20
On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 23:02:55 -0800, T wrote:

> I am specifically looking for an encrypted flash
> drive (hardware), but thank you anyway

Hi "T",
Please stop trolling this newsgroup.
o Thank you.

Arlen Holder

Dec 23, 2020, 8:50:26 AM12/23/20
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 02:17:37 -0500, Paul wrote:

> I see nothing but good times ahead.

Hi Paul,

Two things I can tell you given I own adult cognitive skills.
1. This "T" is clearly a troll (easily proved by pointing to his trolls).
2. This thread is (most likely) a troll (given the MO of these trolls).

While it could be a _single_ puppet master for all I know, you'll note that
this "T" and this "micky" and this "Bob F." (and a few others) all troll
the hell out of the repair newsgroup, very often in tandem, and often
within seconds of each other - but - and this is key - always with the same
infantile political payload.
o micky <https://i.postimg.cc/4Nyd369x/micky01.jpg>
o T: <https://i.postimg.cc/52nK78Ph/Troll-Named-T.jpg>
o Bob F <https://i.postimg.cc/wvff63gX/bobf01.jpg>

They literally congratulate each other, as you've seen yourself, on their
successful trolling, and they gang up, together, on anyone who points that
out (which you've seen here, yourself).

It's (most likely) the same puppet master, Paul.
o Same as "Char Jackson", by the way - but that sock is laying low lately.

Why does this puppet master (often using "highwinds") troll so much?
o I don't know why.

I just know that it does.
o I already proved, in spades, that it does.

The MO of this puppet master is to invade a newsgroup with seemingly
innocuous posts to establish a presence (as far as I can tell), before the
inevitable payload ensues, like a crashing wall of its infantile politics.

It's _easy_ to figure it out, by the way, since it uses its own puppets
very often in its own threads, to perpetuate the threads ad infinitum.

It's also easy to figure out because it has already ruined _other_
newsgroups, so it's easy to tell which ones are the trolls.

A bit harder to figure out is the innocuousness of these "credibility
attempts", where you'll note they always just seem to be fabricating a
question out of absolutely nothing (i.e., no proof whatsoever, and no
followup other than to throw hurdles in order to keep you helping them).

In summary, this thread, IMHO, is a troll, where I'd ask this "T" to do
some work and _prove_ to us that it's not, just as I'd ask the same of its
sock "micky" and its sock "Bob F.".

Arlen Holder

Dec 23, 2020, 8:52:53 AM12/23/20
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 00:07:18 -0800, T wrote:

> I prefer winpgp, but six of one, half dozen of another

Hi T, (aka "micky", aka "Bob F., et al.)

Please stop trolling us with your always infantile trolls.
Thank you.

Arlen Holder

Dec 23, 2020, 8:53:55 AM12/23/20
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 09:01:57 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> as handled by the supplier

Hi Andy,
You're responding to a troll (IMHO).

Want proof?

Look here (these are facts this "T" troll cannot possibly refute):

VanguardLH

Dec 23, 2020, 1:32:52 PM12/23/20
T <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Anyone know of a USB3 encrypted flash drive that can be mounted from
> the command line?

Truecrypt and then Veracrypt have a CLI (command line interface). I
don't bother with encrypting volumes. Since I create encrypted
containers, the drive can hold both unencrypted and encrypted files, and
I'm not stuck with a volume that gets screwed up and takes all files
with it.

John Doe

Dec 23, 2020, 3:42:58 PM12/23/20
Arlen Holder <arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:

> Two things I can tell you given I own adult cognitive skills.
> 1. This "T" is clearly a troll (easily proved by pointing to his trolls).
> 2. This thread is (most likely) a troll (given the MO of these trolls).
>
> While it could be a _single_ puppet master for all I know, you'll note that
> this "T" and this "micky" and this "Bob F." (and a few others) all troll
> the hell out of the repair newsgroup, very often in tandem, and often
> within seconds of each other - but - and this is key - always with the same
> infantile political payload.

I was wondering about "T".
Sick 'em boy!

But you should know better than to warn USENET users about what they should
and shouldn't read. Nobody pays attention to such warnings.