Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the Internet (if so, for what gain?)

閲覧: 24 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/05 12:19:122019/06/05
To:
Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
Internet (if so, for what gain over non-Internet methods?)

What type of person stores private data on the cloud?
o Technically astute people?
o Technically non-astute people?

For what gain?

In a recent conversation on the net, some people were arguing both ways
about storing data on "the cloud", where I noticed what appears to be a
trend - but which may or may not actually hold water under public
inspection...
o The less technically astute a person, the more they store on the cloud
o The more technically astute, the more they shun cloud storage (IMHO)

Given this is an apropos question for all common consumer operating
systems, a reasonable adult question is whether STORING data on the cloud
has pros and cons for technically astute people.

Clearly technically non-astute people gain CONVENIENCE by storing their
private data on the cloud - of that concept there is no doubt.

But do technically astute people ALSO store private data on the cloud?

Please note I'm not speaking about SHARING that data (although, I am
speaking about accidentally sharing that data with the bad guys by storing
it on the net in the first place).

Sharing data via the Internet is something that even technically astute
people do all the time, such as sharing email and social media and pictures
and documents and maybe even sharing a public calendar which you _intend_
to share - where "sharing" is not the same as "storing" for the purpose of
this question.

This question is only about STORING data on the Internet, such as
o Your media
o Your documents
o Your passwords, private calendar, app backups, etc.

Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
Internet (if so, for what gain over other less-public methods)?

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/05 13:01:162019/06/05
To:
"Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on theInternet (if so, for what gain over non-Internet methods?)

Do people of reasonable technical ability
use any kind of internet communication ?

Most people store there implicitly their social network history.

Most people store there at least their emails, especially if they access them from multiple devices via IMAP4 protocol.

Also, there is a reason to have an extra copy of long term storage data with sentimental or other historical value.

Local storage has its cons about HW portability and questionable long term reliability.

Privacy concerns can be addressed by local encryption.

--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Carlos E.R.

未読、
2019/06/05 14:12:182019/06/05
To:
On 05/06/2019 18.19, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
> Internet (if so, for what gain over non-Internet methods?)

Why would I answer? If you don't like my answer you will say I'm a
retard or something disgusting.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/05 14:17:032019/06/05
To:
On 06/05/2019 10:01 AM, Libor Striz wrote:
> "Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
>> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on theInternet (if so, for what gain over non-Internet methods?)

I only upload stuff I might want to share, mainly photos. I delete all
my email from the gmail site periodically, but I have no confidence that
it's actually gone. HD space is cheap.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Is there any way I can help without actually getting involved?"

badgolferman

未読、
2019/06/05 14:53:322019/06/05
To:
I use LastPass. It stores my encrypted passwords on the internet. I do this
because it allows me to use my passwords over many different devices and
environments.

My iPhone is backed up to the iCloud. This is not merely for convenience,
but also because I don’t completely trust iTunes reliability since I’ve had
a few instances when the cloned backup or the phone port were defective.

My company is encouraging the use of Sharepoint and OneDrive for document
storage in addition to the forced daily backups done by the local data
center. All of that is placing sensitive data on the “internet”.

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/05 15:08:192019/06/05
To:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 19:01:13 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:

> Do people of reasonable technical ability
> use any kind of internet communication ?

Hi Poutnik,

Thank you for that helpful advice and information, and for your ideas.

In the OP, we mentioned that "communication" is different than "storage".
o In fact, even the US government treats them differently, legally.

That is, as far as I'm aware...
o 30 days or less - it's more protected (as it's "communication")
o 30 days or more - it's less protected (as it's "storage")

In your country, things are likely different.

> Most people store there implicitly their social network history.

In the OP, we mentioned that "social networking" is different.
o Networking, by nature, is a public communication mechanism.

> Most people store there at least their emails, especially if they access them from multiple devices via IMAP4 protocol.

In the OP, we mentioned that "email communication" is different.
o Interesting, AFAIK, the US government treats them in this manner...
1. If it's less than 30 days - it's protected by "communication" laws
2. If it's more than 30 days - it's no longer communication; it's storage.

The US Government, as far as I know, treats email data differently
o 30 days or less - it's more protected (as it's "communication")
o 30 days or more - it's less protected (as it's "storage")

I'm not at all sure how your country treats this, but, as we said in the
OP, email is, by nature, something that is used for "communication", and
not necessarily for long-term "storage" (by technically astute people).

> Also, there is a reason to have an extra copy of long term storage data with sentimental or other historical value.

You bring up a good point that having MULTIPLE copies is useful for
important data, where I posit that multiple drives can hold that data,
where you can put a flash stick with encrypted data containers from all
your devices, in a safe deposit box if it's that critical the data.

> Local storage has its cons about HW portability and questionable long term reliability.

You bring up a good point Poutnik, that local storage can get lost, while
cloud storage is always there.

> Privacy concerns can be addressed by local encryption.

You bring up a good point that local encryption is so readily available to
consumers that it's not an issue - where - for example - any platform can
encrypt and decrypt local container files of almost any size nowadays, for
free - so it's a general purpose solution available to all users on the
common consumer platforms.

Thank you for that helpful advice and information, and for your ideas.

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/05 15:08:202019/06/05
To:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 11:17:00 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> HD space is cheap.

Hi The Real Bev,

Thanks for hazarind a response, which, I agree, is an 'opinion' by all of
us, based on our needs and our assessment of our technical skills.

I agree with your point that the fact that local storage is so easily
attained ... is the key point I guess ... which negates any _need_ for the
cloud, for permanent storage ... I would think.

Given storage is cheap, WHY would anyone put permanent storage in the net?
(I can see why "communications" would be on the cloud; but storage?)

If you store locally on removable drives using encryption, if you really
want to, you can lock the storage devices up in a safe deposit box (if
you're that worried about a fire or other catastrophe).

IMHO, statistically speaking, a fire or catastrophe just isn't gonna
happen, statistically speaking, which has to be in the low tenths or maybe
hundredths or even thousandths of a single percentage point, compared to
the presumed statistical chance, IMHO, of your online data being hacked,
for example - which is perhaps far too close to 100% IMHO, over time.

With storage so easy, and encrypted file containers being portable across
the platforms, why would anyone put their permanent storage on the net?

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/05 16:13:152019/06/05
To:
On 06/05/2019 12:26 PM, Meanie wrote:
> My Gmail and home Provider email are set up to be removed from servers
> when I read them on my email program which is the great broken Thunderbird.
>
> I share nothing online except photos in Flicker for items I am selling
> or had to display when I sought assistance. When I must send sensitive
> files, I use Dropbox then delete after the recipient has downloaded. I
> do not and will not use cloud services regardless how many people back
> them or how secure they appear.
>
> I don't use any social media sites as I believe they are for the
> attention starved users.

I've made my facebook account as much like usenet as possible. I see
only stuff posted by friends (old usenet pals, mostly) and friends of
friends. I block ALL ads using either adblockplus or a hosts file. I
still read all usenet groups I've read for 20 years, but they're pretty
empty now. A sad thing.

> One exception would be using it for business,
> otherwise, to display ones life online, IMO, is asinine. Though, it's
> hard to argue with all those great reliable friends people gather over time
>
> No personal file/folders are saved on my PC. I use two external HDs for
> all my data, then I back up once a month to another external HD.

I've got 10 partitions on my computer (1 main, 4 rolling backups and the
rest stuff that I've forgotten about but don't want to throw away --
like those mysterious well-worn keys on the keyring) and a number of USB
drives to back up my main partition. If the house burns down I'm
screwed, but anything less than that and I'm pretty much OK.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The primary purpose of any government entity

Lloyd Parsons

未読、
2019/06/05 16:51:082019/06/05
To:
Unlike many here I use the cloud for almost all things. With Apple the
security is more than good enough even if no perfect. But then I don’t do
much of anything that is of a nature that someone seeing it would matter.
I use LastPass for password management also. With all my Apple stuff it
just makes sense to use iCloud so all my devices have access to all my
data.

In days gone by, when I was doing different things with my tech gear, it
was mostly all with local storage of one sort or another, some usenet,
email and web. But these days it is various social things, photos/videos
and web browsing. About the only thing I do otherwise is my checkbook
program but it doesn’t have sensitive info in it like account numbers and a
spreadsheet or two. All saved in the cloud, all encrypted. You could get
it, but you couldn’t do anything with it.

--
Lloyd

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/05 18:55:272019/06/05
To:
On Wed, 05 Jun 2019 21:01:47 +0200, Michael Logies wrote:

>>Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
>>Internet (if so, for what gain over other less-public methods)?
>
> Of course, but only after local encryption:
> https://www.duplicati.com

Hi Michael Logies,

Thank you very much for bringing value to the Usenet poluck
to share with everyone!
o Duplicati <https://www.duplicati.com/articles/FactSheet/>
"Free backup software to store encrypted backups online
for Windows, macOS and Linux"
<https://updates.duplicati.com/beta/duplicati-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28-x64.msi>

Given both iOS & Android easily "mount" to the desktop as removable drives,
we can also back up our mobile devices, apparently, using this method
(which may be useful given that iTunes is apparently being deprecated by
Apple in the coming days according to rumors prevalent recently).

I did not know about this "duplicati" encrypted backup product, where I
would have used, oh, offhand, probably Veracrypt Truecrypt containers
<https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html>
(which can be encrypted & decrypted on all five of the common consumer
platforms) if I was forced to put my private data on the Internet in a
cloud storage sack.

Luckily, this duplicati engine can handle those truecrypt containers:
<https://www.duplicati.com/articles/Way-To-Make-A-Backup/>

I think this "duplicati" stuff, on first inspection anyway, looks neat,
where it's something that apparently runs on the local Windows, Linux, or
MacOS desktop which automatically encrypts and uploads your backups to the
cloud provider of choice.
<https://www.duplicati.com/articles/Getting-Started/>

I noticed that it can back up to the local network so it's something that
works even outside the cloud, which is useful for many of us, where it
seems to handle the fact that Windows rotates removable drive letters:
<https://www.duplicati.com/articles/Windows-Drive-Letters/>

It can filter the types of files that it backs up:
<https://www.duplicati.com/articles/Filters/>

And they even have a tutorial for the restoration process:
<https://www.duplicati.com/articles/Restore-Process/>

They even have a nice white-paper section of tutorials
<https://www.duplicati.com/articles/>

In summary, thank you for suggesting this Duplicati backup engine, which
can apparently automate the process of both encrypting and backing up data
from your desktop or mobile devices, either to local storage, or to the
cloud provider of choice.

The results are, based on a quick skim of the product just now:
a. Backup automation
b. Encryption at all times
c. Local or cloud storage

Thank you for bringing ideas of value to the Usenet public potluck!
o I will _test_ out this solution for Window, Linux, iOS, & Android.

Alan Baker

未読、
2019/06/05 19:59:212019/06/05
To:
On 2019-06-05 3:55 p.m., Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jun 2019 21:01:47 +0200, Michael Logies wrote:
>
>>> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
>>> Internet (if so, for what gain over other less-public methods)?
>>
>> Of course, but only after local encryption:
>> https://www.duplicati.com
>
> Hi Michael Logies,
>
> Thank you very much for bringing value to the Usenet poluck
> to share with everyone!
> o Duplicati <https://www.duplicati.com/articles/FactSheet/>
> "Free backup software to store encrypted backups online
> for Windows, macOS and Linux"
> <https://updates.duplicati.com/beta/duplicati-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28-x64.msi>
>
> Given both iOS & Android easily "mount" to the desktop as removable drives,
> we can also back up our mobile devices, apparently, using this method
> (which may be useful given that iTunes is apparently being deprecated by
> Apple in the coming days according to rumors prevalent recently).

iTunes is going away.

The ability to backup one's portable devices which is currently found in
iTunes is not.

Ken Springer

未読、
2019/06/05 21:55:572019/06/05
To:
On 6/5/19 1:26 PM, Meanie wrote:
> My Gmail and home Provider email are set up to be removed from servers
> when I read them on my email program which is the great broken Thunderbird.
>
> I share nothing online except photos in Flicker for items I am selling
> or had to display when I sought assistance. When I must send sensitive
> files, I use Dropbox then delete after the recipient has downloaded. I
> do not and will not use cloud services regardless how many people back
> them or how secure they appear.
>
> I don't use any social media sites as I believe they are for the
> attention starved users. One exception would be using it for business,
> otherwise, to display ones life online, IMO, is asinine. Though, it's
> hard to argue with all those great reliable friends people gather over time
>
> No personal file/folders are saved on my PC. I use two external HDs for
> all my data, then I back up once a month to another external HD.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Only one person is responsible for there personal private and sensitive
data, and that is the user/owner of the data. If you place it on the
web, I don't care whose hands it's in, if it gets hacked and/or stolen,
you have only yourself to blame.

I will stipulate, those, that for business purposes you may want to have
some info on the cloud, but you don't need your whole life there.

--
Ken
MacOS 10.14.5

pjp

未読、
2019/06/05 23:03:052019/06/05
To:
In article <qd8q1v$r9h$1...@news.mixmin.net>, arling...@nospam.net
says...
I keep copies of basically everything locally. I do not trust someon
else to properly handle my data, just look at all the various problems
companies have with their cloud infrastructure. I also do not like that
they can or even must (if legally asked) examine my info. I also don't
like thet can retain a copy for as long as they like. Burned DVD's and
external hard disks you keep yourself seems much more solely under my
control.

And this from someone does no social interaction on the net at all, e.g.
no Facebook, Twitter or the like. As an example, I deleted my Facebook
account about 4 years ago now. Anyone want to bet if I go to their site
and try to use old credentials it'll "Welcome Me Back"? When I delete
mail in Hotmail any bet it's still on some backup they keep?

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/05 23:18:092019/06/05
To:
"Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 19:01:13 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:>

> In the OP, we mentioned that "communication" is different than "storage".....
> ....that "social networking" is different. Networking, by nature, is a public communication mechanism.
> ... we mentioned that "email communication" is different.

Technically, stored communication = storage.
Once there, it does not matter much if still there.

If photos or documents are in mailbox or in dedicated cloud storage does matter much, it is just technology difference.

If content is abused, it does not matter much how it was protected by law.

> You bring up a good point that having MULTIPLE copies is useful forimportant data, where I posit that multiple drives can hold that data,where you can put a flash stick with encrypted data containers from allyour devices, in a safe deposit box if it's that critical the data.

Flash sticks are typical example of problematic long term storage due time deterioration of NAND flash memory cells. Plus there must be evaluated combination of technology lifetime and technology availability.

>> Local storage has its cons about HW portability and questionable long term reliability.

> You bring up a good point Poutnik, that local storage can get lost, whilecloud storage is always there.

It is funny as neither of the points I have mentioned is about the storage getting lost. It is the 3rd point I did not mention.

>> Privacy concerns can be addressed by local encryption.

> You bring up a good point that local encryption is so readily available toconsumers that it's not an issue.

... therefore internet storage is not an issue, if the data holder considers it as a good choice. :-)

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/05 23:28:572019/06/05
To:
pjp <pjpoirier_...@hotmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Burned DVD's and external hard disks you keep yourself seems much more solely under my control.

How often do you reburn your DVDs ?

123456789

未読、
2019/06/06 0:11:532019/06/06
pjp wrote:

> I do not trust someone else to properly handle my data, just look at
> all the various problems companies have with their cloud
> infrastructure.

Do you have a credit card? Do you go to the doctor? Do you pay taxes?
Does your car have license plates? On and on and on. Unless you live in
a cave your life is already in the cloud.

> I also do not like that they can or even must (if legally asked)
> examine my info.

True for all of the above.

> I also don't like that they can retain a copy for as long as they
> like.

True for all of the above.

> I deleted my Facebook account about 4 years ago

Bet it's still there.

> When I delete mail in Hotmail any bet it's still on some backup they
> keep?

Yup.

So since you're already hanging out in the cloud (big time) why is so
terrible to also keep your backups there?

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/06 0:58:142019/06/06
To:
No choice about the above, but I damn well won't give the bastards
anything I don't have to.

--
Cheers, Bev
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

123456789

未読、
2019/06/06 1:22:592019/06/06
To:
The Real Bev wrote:
> On 123456789 wrote:

>> Do you have a credit card? Do you go to the doctor? Do you pay
>> taxes? Does your car have license plates? On and on and on. Unless
>> you live in a cave your life is already in the cloud.

>> So since you're already hanging out in the cloud (big time) why is
>> so terrible to also keep your backups there?

> No choice about the above,

Sure you have a choice. You don't have to have a credit card. But life
is so much more convenient using one.

> but I damn well won't give the bastards anything I don't have to.

You don't have to have a phone but you give your phone company your
personal information because having a phone is so convenient.

I don't have to have online storage but I like having access to my
information on most any device at virtually any location because it's so
convenient. And from what I see in the 'latest company to get hacked' TV
news every night it's probably much safer...

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/06 1:28:162019/06/06
To:
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:

> No choice about the above, but I damn well won't give the bastards anything I don't have to.

In real life, it is trade off between data privacy and practical functionality.

The similar is true for trade off between functionality and enterprise IT security policy.

In both scenarios, one cannot have full amount of one side with acceptable amount of the other side.

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/06 11:05:272019/06/06
To:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 14:03:30 -0000 (UTC), Joe Beanfish wrote:

>> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on
>> the Internet (if so, for what gain over non-Internet methods?)
>>

> Yes, with private data encrypted. I got tired of not being able to
> access things I needed when out and about and my home internet or
> server was down. Sometimes the "cloud" is a server I control, other
> times it's a service such as dropbox.

Hi Joe Beanfish,

Thank you for that suggestion that the cloud is certainly accessible
wherever you are (as long as you have Internet access), which is clearly a
big bonus to storing data on the cloud.

Somehow, the technically astute of us have to _protect_ that cloud storage,
whether from prying eyes such as we've seen happen at Google, or from
hackers, as we've seen occur at Apple.

The tradeoff we need to technically solve is that between
o Access anytime anywhere, versus
o Protection from hackers.

The technical question to solve is _that_ question, I believe.

I suspect the simplest _potential_ solution, is to back up to the cloud
_only_ that which is doubly encrypted, such as with platform compatible
Truecrypt containers (which all five common consumer operating systems can
read and write).

Having said that, I certainly realize that even 'double' encryption can be
broken, although, I suspect, you'd need a determined focused hacker to want
to try if everyone did this (which is where safety in numbers helps).

Besides double encryption, what _else_ would you recommend as a technical
solution?

Another technical solution is to hang your storage off your router, and
access that storage from the Intgernet - where - unfortunately - that takes
a technical ability that I don't profess to have - since security is wholly
up to you in that situation.

Do you think that hanging an encrypted file container on your router _can_
secure enough to 'compete' with the convenience of cloud storage?

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/06 11:05:282019/06/06
To:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:41:35 +0200, Piet wrote:

> And where do you store them? Theft-safe and fireproof?

Hi Piet,

This is a GOOD POINT, where we each bring value to the Usenet potluck with
our divergent ideas...

Given that people repeatedly claim that the cloud storage is safe from
catastrophic home fires, IMHO, this "theft safe & fireproof" concept is one
that is worth looking at from a _statistical_ standpoint, don't you think?
o What's the chance of someone STEALING your data DVDs?
o What's the chance of your house burning down?
versus
o What's the chance of your data being hacked off the cloud?

I suspect that the statistics are HUGELY variant
o Where it could be close to 100% that cloud data will be stolen
o And close to 0% that your DVDs will be stolen by a thief

While _both_ can happen, we have to be realistic in determining your threat
level, don't we?

For example, we can store our DVDs or flash drives in a safe deposit box
rather easily, can't we?

Or, we can bury them in a box under a tree in the back yard, if we're
concerned about instant access, can't we?

We can put them in a fire-resistant safe, if we're really worried.
o But, once we put it on the cloud - we _lose_ all that, don't we?

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/06 11:05:282019/06/06
To:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 16:59:20 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> iTunes is going away.
>
> The ability to backup one's portable devices which is currently found in
> iTunes is not.

Hi Alan Baker,

Thanks for that clarification that, while the iTunes abomination is
apparently soon to be deprecated by Apple, (some?,most?,all?) its
functionality will be provided to the hapless customer in some fashion.

Where, as you may be aware, as is very often the case, I was the first to
week, where my information was, of necessity, preliminary at that early
reporting time (as was the battery fiasco, which I was also first to
report, as were many other issues - even the iPhone X preliminary data you
countered in the past with later data)...
o Apple Plans End of iTunes
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/IV9KUqo7JXE>

Subsequent to my first reporting of this news, others also reported it:
o iTunes at long last dead ...
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/Sjb1gqN-kH4>

o Re: Apple is killing off iTunes, reports say
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/kM_U7C7vdG8>

Since I'm always all about functional solutions, I also opened this thread:
o What functionality does iTunes do for you that you'll need to replicate without iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/v2jT-sWIKR0>

Since I personally ditched the iTunes abomination years ago, I only skimmed
the results of that pertinent iTunes-replacement functionality thread,
where, my take on that quick look is that it's not yet clear whether
(some?, most?, all?) the functionality of the iTunes abomination will be
replicated for the hapless consumer.

Given that Usenet is a public potluck where we each strive to bring value
to the table, it would be great if you can add your technical value to that
thread, so that the iTunes users have suitable replacements in hand.

Personally, I think that a good backup strategy should exist for all
consumers of all five of the common consumer platforms...
o Linux
o Windows
o Mac
o Android
o iOS
Of which I own four of those five myself and which I strive to treat as
similarly as possible in terms of cross platform functionality.

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/06 11:05:302019/06/06
To:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 05:18:06 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:

> Technically, stored communication = storage.
> Once there, it does not matter much if still there.

Hi Poutnik,
I'm not sure from your response whether you understood that _legally_, in
the USA, there _is_ a difference between communication & storage.

Whether _you_ feel that this legal distinction has merit is one thing, but
what's important to note for people communicating with USA companies and
storing those communications on USA companies' servers is that the US
government apparently makes a _huge_ distinction.

It wasn't clear, from your response, whether you comprehended _that_
distinction, as it seems to be that you may be arguing that this legal
distinction does not exist - which - if it doesn't exist - then I would
welcome your cites showing that to be the case.

> If photos or documents are in mailbox or in dedicated cloud storage
> does matter much, it is just technology difference.

Poutnik - It doesn't seem that you comprehended yet the _legal_
distinction.

Rather than me explain the legal distinction again, can you simply clarify
whether you _understand_ that there _is_ a legal distinction (AFAIK)?

Thanks.

> If content is abused, it does not matter much how it was protected by law.

Again, nothing you say is of any use if you don't explain whether you
comprehend that there _is_ a legal distinction between email communications
on Google servers and those same email communications left on the Google
servers for more than 30 days.

> Flash sticks are typical example of problematic long term storage
> due time deterioration of NAND flash memory cells. Plus there must
> be evaluated combination of technology lifetime and technology availability.

I'm unaware that the USB sticks would have a short lifetime compared to
other methods of personal local storage.

The whole point of Usenet is to share value, where if you have a cite which
shows that NAND flash memory on USB sticks has a short lifetime, NOW is the
time to provide that scientifically derived data....

Do you have valid test results for how long USB sticks survive in normal
household conditions?

Many of us use these USB sticks - so any information you can share that is
scientifically valid would add value to the conversation.

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/06 11:11:542019/06/06
To:
"Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 05:18:06 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:> Technically, stored communication = storage.> Once there, it does not matter much if still there.

> Hi Poutnik,I'm not sure from your response whether you understood that _legally_, inthe USA, there _is_ a difference between communication & storage.

I have said "technically".

I have intentionally avoided the legal aspect, as it does not apply to me.

123456789

未読、
2019/06/06 12:08:202019/06/06
To:
Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> What's the chance of your data being hacked off the cloud?

Good point. My cloud storage provider has more than one billion active
accounts. What are the chances...

> close to 0% that your DVDs will be stolen by a thief

In the old days people often lost their whole video DVD collections to
home burglaries. It was a big expensive loss then. Now with streaming
available does anyone actually watch DVDs anymore?

Course you meant data DVDs but the same applies. They also can be lost
in fires, hurricanes, and burglaries.

default

未読、
2019/06/06 12:13:172019/06/06
To:
Dude, what's to stop him from doing so anyway? You might just as well
answer... "sticks and stones"

pjp

未読、
2019/06/06 13:27:192019/06/06
To:
In article <qdbdpi$5vm$1...@dont-email.me>, 12...@12345.com says...
True but if your house burns down and takes DVD's with them at my age
I'm worrying about house and not old data backups.

That said, I've not had any problems accessing old dvd's or even older
data cd's. Very occassionally a drive my not read a disk but invaraibly
a second drive will and without errors. Mind you I keep dvd's and cd's
in constant temp/humidity cabinet in basement. DO NOT USE RW's for long
term backups, they seem "iffy" at best.

Wish that'd worked for my thousands of much older floppies, some of them
original 5.5" 360Kb's :) Not one of them will even format properly
anymore.

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/06 13:36:072019/06/06
To:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 09:08:25 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

> They also can be lost
> in fires, hurricanes, and burglaries.

Thanks for confirming that your major reasons for putting your private data
on the cloud completely in someone else's hands is that you're worried that
you, yourself, can't protect that data.

It's becoming very clear that the less technically competent people seem to
be, the _more_ they argue that they inherently natively naturally innately
gravitate to well-marketed cloud-storage solutions provided to them by the
major players in this business (e.g., Apple & Google, among others).

What takes intelligence & effort is not so much that you argue that
innately, your brain gravitates to commercial cloud-storage solutions, but
for you to discuss how to protect your data when you do put all your data
in the hands of someone else.

Just as it took intelligence & effort to come up with a calendar & password
mechanism that didn't involve putting all my data on the cloud, it will
take a lot more than just complaining to solve the technical issues
inherent in protecting your own data without compromising the convenience
that the cloud offers to the less technical astute hoi polloi.

Assume we old'ish technocrats of Usenet are more technically astute than
your average 10 year old kid, I believe _we_ should be able to come up with
a solution that rivals the cloud in convenience, but which doesn't require
us to put our private data completely in the hands of the cloud providers's
marketing gimmicks.

In short, our added value isn't in complaining about the same old things
that everyone who uses the cloud for convenience complains about - but our
added value is in coming up with astutely derived technical solutions.

Like that cross-platform automatic encrypted backup mechanism for one,
which is a veritable jewel of useful technical tools for such things.

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/06 13:42:242019/06/06
To:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 17:11:51 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Libor Striz wrote:

> I have intentionally avoided the legal aspect, as it does not apply to me.

Hi Poutnik,

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect the legal aspects are immense, in that
they likely apply to _all_ communications stored on Google servers for the
less/more than 30 days, including communications that come from OUTSIDE the
Google servers.

If zero of your communications are stored on servers that the US considers
under their jurisdiction, then, of course, the legal aspect very likely
doesn't apply to you, I agree.

But that would mean that you _never_ communicate with people with Gmail or
Apple email addresses, right?

Do you really _never_ communicate with people who own email addresses of
companies based in the USA?

(Is that even feasible?)

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/06 13:48:332019/06/06
To:
On 06/06/2019 08:05 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:41:35 +0200, Piet wrote:
>
>> And where do you store them? Theft-safe and fireproof?
>
> Hi Piet,
>
> This is a GOOD POINT, where we each bring value to the Usenet potluck with
> our divergent ideas...
>
> Given that people repeatedly claim that the cloud storage is safe from
> catastrophic home fires, IMHO, this "theft safe & fireproof" concept is one

Fireproof. Friends went through one of the big California fires a while
back. Their entire house was flattened except for the perhaps
4-feet-high "fireproof" safe. Made an impressive picture standing there
amidst the ash. The papers inside were ash, the gold jewelry was melted
into the ash and other bits of stuff, and the Rolex was...interesting.
How many hours of fire can your fireproof safe tolerate? That one was
rated for one hour.

> that is worth looking at from a _statistical_ standpoint, don't you think?
> o What's the chance of someone STEALING your data DVDs?
> o What's the chance of your house burning down?
> versus
> o What's the chance of your data being hacked off the cloud?
>
> I suspect that the statistics are HUGELY variant
> o Where it could be close to 100% that cloud data will be stolen
> o And close to 0% that your DVDs will be stolen by a thief
>
> While _both_ can happen, we have to be realistic in determining your threat
> level, don't we?

I try to back up my entire 353GB partition at least once a week to
either another partition on my computer or a USB drive within easy reach
if I have to flee a fire. Someone is home almost all of the time, so
unless a home invader decides to make off with my HEAVY full-tower
computer and a number of USB drives I feel pretty safe.

How long would it take to copy my partition to the cloud at ~6Mbps?
This is a rhetorical question...

> For example, we can store our DVDs or flash drives in a safe deposit box
> rather easily, can't we?
>
> Or, we can bury them in a box under a tree in the back yard, if we're
> concerned about instant access, can't we?
>
> We can put them in a fire-resistant safe, if we're really worried.
> o But, once we put it on the cloud - we _lose_ all that, don't we?

If we both have to leave home for an extended period (maybe once a
decade) we put recent backups in a box and take them to a friend's house.

--
Cheers, Bev
Nobody needs to speak on behalf of idiots, they manage

nospam

未読、
2019/06/06 13:55:102019/06/06
To:
In article <qdbjlg$9rd$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I try to back up my entire 353GB partition at least once a week to
> either another partition on my computer or a USB drive within easy reach
> if I have to flee a fire. Someone is home almost all of the time, so
> unless a home invader decides to make off with my HEAVY full-tower
> computer and a number of USB drives I feel pretty safe.

backing up one partition to another partition on the same drive or even
another drive in the same computer is not a backup.

it's also a manual operation which is often neglected. 'at least once a
week' means you are likely to lose a week's worth of work.

> How long would it take to copy my partition to the cloud at ~6Mbps?
> This is a rhetorical question...

many cloud services accept seed drives.

in the event of disaster, they can also send you a drive with your data
rather than download everything.

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/06 14:04:022019/06/06
To:
"Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> ......But that would mean that you _never_ communicate with people with Gmail orApple email addresses, right?Do you really _never_ communicate with people who own email addresses ofcompanies based in the USA?(Is that even feasible?)

Of course I do.

But it is not much relevant to privacy data safety, by what law it is protected, unless it is a nature law.

Additionally, the *practical* border between "storage" and "communication
is very fuzzy.

Libor Striz

未読、
2019/06/06 14:06:382019/06/06
To:
"Arlen G. Holder" <arling...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:

> And close to 0% that your DVDs will be stolen by a thief

Time is a very good thieve of CD/DVD data.

123456789

未読、
2019/06/06 17:46:442019/06/06
To:
Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> 123456789 wrote:

>> They [DVDs] also can be lost in fires, hurricanes, and burglaries.

> Thanks for confirming that your major reasons for putting your
> private data on the cloud completely in someone else's hands is that
> you're worried that you, yourself, can't protect that data.

I encrypt the sensitive data before storing it on the cloud.

123456789

未読、
2019/06/06 17:46:462019/06/06
pjp wrote:
> 12345@12345 says...

>> They [DVDs] can be lost in fires, hurricanes, and burglaries.

> True but if your house burns down and takes DVD's with them at my
> age I'm worrying about house and not old data backups.

My backups include copies of legal papers, licenses, irreplaceable
photos, etc. Two bucks a month is good fire insurance IMO. YMMV.

Jolly Roger

未読、
2019/06/06 19:55:222019/06/06
To:
123456789 <12...@12345.com> wrote:

> I encrypt the sensitive data before storing it on the cloud.

That’s the smart way to do it. That way if the cloud is compromised your
data is still safe. The majority of user data stored in iCloud is
end-to-end encrypted with a key only known to the individual user:
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303>

JR

Jolly Roger

未読、
2019/06/06 20:04:162019/06/06
To:
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I try to back up my entire 353GB partition at least once a week to
> either another partition on my computer or a USB drive within easy reach
> if I have to flee a fire. Someone is home almost all of the time, so
> unless a home invader decides to make off with my HEAVY full-tower
> computer and a number of USB drives I feel pretty safe.

Add a drive to the picture, and swap it with that one once a week/month,
storing the other drive in your car or somewhere else off site, and fire is
no longer as big of a concern.

> How long would it take to copy my partition to the cloud at ~6Mbps?
> This is a rhetorical question...

Too freaking long to be practical for many of us. Taking a hard drive or
two with you when you leave the house occasionally is much more practical.

> If we both have to leave home for an extended period (maybe once a
> decade) we put recent backups in a box and take them to a friend's house.

Good idea. Be sure to encrypt those drives so the data is safe from prying
eyes.

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/07 2:13:032019/06/07
To:
On 06/06/2019 05:04 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I try to back up my entire 353GB partition at least once a week to
>> either another partition on my computer or a USB drive within easy reach
>> if I have to flee a fire. Someone is home almost all of the time, so
>> unless a home invader decides to make off with my HEAVY full-tower
>> computer and a number of USB drives I feel pretty safe.
>
> Add a drive to the picture, and swap it with that one once a week/month,
> storing the other drive in your car or somewhere else off site, and fire is
> no longer as big of a concern.
>
>> How long would it take to copy my partition to the cloud at ~6Mbps?
>> This is a rhetorical question...
>
> Too freaking long to be practical for many of us. Taking a hard drive or
> two with you when you leave the house occasionally is much more practical.
>
>> If we both have to leave home for an extended period (maybe once a
>> decade) we put recent backups in a box and take them to a friend's house.
>
> Good idea. Be sure to encrypt those drives so the data is safe from prying
> eyes.

Our friends are free to look at whatever they want, but they don't run
linux.

--
Cheers, Bev
Schrodinger's Cake: You can have it AND eat it.

Gene Wirchenko

未読、
2019/06/07 14:44:262019/06/07
To:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:48:32 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 06/06/2019 08:05 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 10:41:35 +0200, Piet wrote:
>>
>>> And where do you store them? Theft-safe and fireproof?
>>
>> Hi Piet,
>>
>> This is a GOOD POINT, where we each bring value to the Usenet potluck with
>> our divergent ideas...
>>
>> Given that people repeatedly claim that the cloud storage is safe from
>> catastrophic home fires, IMHO, this "theft safe & fireproof" concept is one
>
>Fireproof. Friends went through one of the big California fires a while
>back. Their entire house was flattened except for the perhaps
>4-feet-high "fireproof" safe. Made an impressive picture standing there
>amidst the ash. The papers inside were ash, the gold jewelry was melted
>into the ash and other bits of stuff, and the Rolex was...interesting.
>How many hours of fire can your fireproof safe tolerate? That one was
>rated for one hour.

Which is a reminder that solutions are not absolute.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Paul

未読、
2019/06/07 16:46:402019/06/07
To:
It says right on the tin, how many hours it is rated for.
If your documents are burned, you need a higher rating :-)

The larger the thermal mass, the longer it takes to heat up.

This one is rated 3 hours. It's regular $9200 dollars, and
is now only $5100. So if a thief steals the safe, the safe
is likely worth more than the contents.

https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/im/89487050/resize-h800-w800%5Ecompr-r85/1784/1784047/3+Hr+Fireproof+Data+Security+Safe+with+Electronic+Lock.jpg

I guess we would rate these "a scam at the best of times".

I wonder how many tons of steel plates you could buy
for $9200 ? Like, build an entire fireproof room. with lots
of air gap to make for a large gradient.

Aerogel makes a great insulator, but it can't take 1500F by itself.
I think it'll handle a natural gas flame OK (which is
relatively cool as flames go). Aerogel is better than R10 per inch,
and quite expensive due to how its made. Sheets can be thinner than
an inch, because it isn't nearly as easy to make as Styrofoam SM.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Photo-of-an-aerogel-above-a-blow-torch-Photo-Aerogel-2012_fig1_275209519

There are also those ceramic tiles on the space shuttle. Maybe a steel
box with those as an insulator would work.

Paul

Gene Wirchenko

未読、
2019/06/09 21:55:082019/06/09
To:
On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 16:46:52 -0400, Paul <nos...@needed.invalid>
wrote:

[snip]

>It says right on the tin, how many hours it is rated for.
>If your documents are burned, you need a higher rating :-)

Read "needed" for "need" <G>.

>The larger the thermal mass, the longer it takes to heat up.
>
>This one is rated 3 hours. It's regular $9200 dollars, and
>is now only $5100. So if a thief steals the safe, the safe
>is likely worth more than the contents.
>
>https://secure.img1-ag.wfcdn.com/im/89487050/resize-h800-w800%5Ecompr-r85/1784/1784047/3+Hr+Fireproof+Data+Security+Safe+with+Electronic+Lock.jpg
>
>I guess we would rate these "a scam at the best of times".

ISTM that the first question should be "How long is a building
fire likely to result in the elevated temperatures that your treasures
need protection from?" and that the first priority would be making
sure that the fireproof safe is rated for at least that long plus a
safety margin.

Or why bother?

What good are those one-hour safes?

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/10 2:14:212019/06/10
To:
Who in Santa Rosa thought that they'd need even ONE hour?

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but,

Gene Wirchenko

未読、
2019/06/10 13:30:442019/06/10
To:
On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:14:19 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 06/09/2019 06:55 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

[snip]

>> What good are those one-hour safes?
>
>Who in Santa Rosa thought that they'd need even ONE hour?

Housefire?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

nospam

未読、
2019/06/10 13:47:002019/06/10
To:
In article <qdksfs$ic7$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What good are those one-hour safes?
>
> Who in Santa Rosa thought that they'd need even ONE hour?

those who understand risk.

The Real Bev

未読、
2019/06/10 13:48:322019/06/10
To:
On 06/10/2019 10:30 AM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:14:19 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 06/09/2019 06:55 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> What good are those one-hour safes?
>>
>>Who in Santa Rosa thought that they'd need even ONE hour?
>
> Housefire?

Tubbs Fire. A curious thing: Google shows street view after the fire
(2017), but the satellite view is still pre-fire.

--
Cheers, Bev
"What's truly sad is that your vote counts the same as mine."

Zaghadka

未読、
2019/06/10 16:42:172019/06/10
To:
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 16:19:11 -0000 (UTC), in alt.comp.os.windows-10, Arlen
G. Holder wrote:

>This question is only about STORING data on the Internet, such as
>o Your media
>o Your documents
>o Your passwords, private calendar, app backups, etc.

I'm confused. Do you mean that the data exists only in the cloud? No
local copy? Does any service do that? All of my cloud services will keep
a local copy on the computer.

Assuming you mean store data in the cloud and have it locally synced, I
use both Dropbox and Google Drive.

I keep my passwords in the Dropbox, in a password protected Excel
spreadsheet. This has saved my ass numerous times, as all I need is my
phone to look up my passwords. Or on any other device I'm using at the
time.

When I was in school, I kept all my school work in Dropbox to prevent
accidental deletion and to track revisions. "The computer ate my
homework" is no longer an acceptable excuse with free cloud services
available.

Version history is a *big* feature of both Dropbox and Drive. Did you
screw up that file? Restore a previous version. Even if you f-ed it up a
week ago. If you pay, you can get quite a long period of version backups.

Because of versioning, I keep my financial program data files in Dropbox.
Again, they're password protected.

I keep my contacts book in Dropbox as well. I trust them to not look at
it. It's not really a big deal. They have privacy policies.

I also keep anything that I would want to be accesible from any machine I
use. There isn't much that falls under this category, but all my tabletop
RPG stuff is in Dropbox, so I can bring any device I want to a game
(laptop or phone), and change my characters and have it sync to all my
other devices.

I don't keep my pictures in the cloud. No reason to.

My cloud drive passwords are *extremely* strong. That's all you need to
make it work.

I build my own desktop computers and used to be a IT professional. I
guess that makes me "technically proficient."

The main benefits are cross-platform data sync and version history. The
cost is you have to trust people not to mine your personal data.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten

Arlen G. Holder

未読、
2019/06/11 16:20:062019/06/11
To:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 15:42:19 -0500, Zaghadka wrote:

> I'm confused. Do you mean that the data exists only in the cloud? No
> local copy? Does any service do that? All of my cloud services will keep
> a local copy on the computer.

Hi Zag,
I generally consider you to be reasonably competent, so I will read below
with interest how you approach the stated problem set.

To answer your question, I "assume" the cloud storage is a "copy" of the
local storage, in all cases.

Since I don't store anything I don't have to on the cloud, I don't know if
anyone stores the ORIGINAL data alone (not a copy) on the cloud, where if
they do not keep a copy on the local device or in external storage, then I
would wonder why they trust the cloud so much. :)

> Assuming you mean store data in the cloud and have it locally synced, I
> use both Dropbox and Google Drive.

It will be interesting to see why you do that, and for what gain.

> I keep my passwords in the Dropbox, in a password protected Excel
> spreadsheet. This has saved my ass numerous times, as all I need is my
> phone to look up my passwords. Or on any other device I'm using at the
> time.

Passwords on the cloud make sense, where I'm not so sure an Excel
encryption is secure (I used to break them years ago, for example, along
with PDF passwords, but I haven't tried in a long time).

We never know if ANY encryption is secure because the bad guys aren't going
to tell us (and they break the hardest encryptions all the time, so, if
they 'wanted' ours, I'm sure they already have it).

Having said that we'll never know if any encryption is safe, most of us
seem to use keeppass-like dedicated password storage or LastPass for the
really lazy people.

I wonder what gain Excel has over keepass?

I can't think of any gain, particularly since Keepass is freeware available
on all five common consumer platforms, so you can easily store your
passwords on all your devices without ever having to put them on the cloud.

Passwords don't change as frequently as does, say, a calendar, which means
there's almost zero reason, I would think, to put passwords on the cloud
unless you need a password when you don't have your device with you.

Even in that case, you can put a password database on your flash stick
mounted to a recent router (SMB 2 or above) where you can access your
encrypted database from anywhere in the world.

In short, I UNDERSTAND your Excel method, but I worry about two things:
1. Excel encryption versus keepass-like encryption, and,
2. Why do you need the password database to be on the cloud

NOTE: You explained why you need it on the cloud - but I simply state that
passwords don't change that often, IMHO, where you can easily avoid putting
passwords on the cloud.

> When I was in school, I kept all my school work in Dropbox to prevent
> accidental deletion and to track revisions. "The computer ate my
> homework" is no longer an acceptable excuse with free cloud services
> available.

Good point. There is merit, particularly for school stuff which isn't all
that private in the first place, to be online and readily accessible from
the library or from the dorm room or from home or while on the road.

I don't consider school stuff all that private, as compared to, oh, say,
medical records or passwords would be so you make a good point that these
kind of less private things readily go on the cloud.

Even if the cloud is hacked (and it WILL be hacked), you don't lose
anything but a school paper on why women's studies is needed but not men's
studies. :)

> Version history is a *big* feature of both Dropbox and Drive. Did you
> screw up that file? Restore a previous version. Even if you f-ed it up a
> week ago. If you pay, you can get quite a long period of version backups.

Ouch. I've spent decades in the Silicon Valley on "version history". Don't
even get me started. They all suck in very different ways. But they're all
needed, in just as many different ways.

Good luck to you on version history stuff for binary files.

Me?
I just rename the binary files (filename_date_a, filename_date_b, etc.).

I gave up on version control long ago, due to the limitations, particularly
for BINARY files (where incremental updates aren't easily done and where
MANY MANY MANY updates are constantly done).

Text files are easy. Binary files that change a lot are sheer hell, IMHO.

> Because of versioning, I keep my financial program data files in Dropbox.
> Again, they're password protected.

It's good you double encrypt in that I wouldn't put anything on the cloud
that I didn't have encrypted first on my own, perhaps using Veracrypt style
containers (which work on all five common consumer platforms, although
they're not free on iOS).

With Veracrypt style containers, you can easily manage the file on all five
common consumer platforms, and then upload the encrypted container (perhaps
containing a hidden container inside the container, much like those Russian
dolls), onto your cloud storage.

Again, nobody knows how good the encryption really is - but for the
layperson, it's likely "good enough for now", I suspect.

Certainly it's better than no encryption at all other than what DropBox
provides, where I can't imagine anyone storing anything private on the
cloud that isn't doubly encrypted (or triply encrypted in the case of the
hidden containers).

> I keep my contacts book in Dropbox as well. I trust them to not look at
> it. It's not really a big deal. They have privacy policies.

I wouldn't rely so much on "privacy policies" since I'm not a lawyer, and
they have loopholes, but even more so, since the hackers who will get your
data don't abide by those privacy policies anyway.

Just as I noted that passwords don't change all that much, contacts change
only slightly faster for most people, so I feel that there's absolutely no
need to put contacts on the cloud when all five common consumer platforms
handle VCARD files which can be stored inside of encrypted file containers
for free on all common consumer platforms other than on iOS.

I get that contacts need to be accessible, but my assumption is that they
don't change faster than each day, where each day you can synchronize all
your files to every device that is connected to your home LAN using the
solution Michael Logies had suggested, which is a GREAT SOLUTION overall!

o Duplicati <https://www.duplicati.com/articles/FactSheet/>
"Free backup software to store encrypted backups online for Windows, macOS and Linux"
<https://updates.duplicati.com/beta/duplicati-2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28-x64.msi>

Seems to me, the solution that is best for both privacy and accessibility
is to synchronize the VCARD file (or the encrypted db file) whenever the
devices are on the home LAN which should happen, in most cases, faster than
the contacts would change.

> I also keep anything that I would want to be accesible from any machine I
> use. There isn't much that falls under this category, but all my tabletop
> RPG stuff is in Dropbox, so I can bring any device I want to a game
> (laptop or phone), and change my characters and have it sync to all my
> other devices.

Yes. I agree. The whole point is to synchronize all your files, locally,
onto all your devices, where the only files that NEED to be on the cloud
are those that change constantly, every minute or so, which, in effect,
isn't much.

Your email does that.
Your stock portfolio does that.

But what else changes by the minute?

> I don't keep my pictures in the cloud. No reason to.

Good! Pictures are a privacy hole if there ever was one.

> My cloud drive passwords are *extremely* strong. That's all you need to
> make it work.

Maybe. But there are other ways to get to data other than brute force
attacks. Every MARKETING org that sells a cloud solution or an encryption
solution tries to make you think the ONLY way anyone will attack is by
frontal brute force.

In reality, very few attacks are frontal brute force in real life.

> I build my own desktop computers and used to be a IT professional. I
> guess that makes me "technically proficient."

I consider you technically proficient, as I consider myself to be
reasonably proficient in privacy online - but there's ALWAYS more to learn.

Those on the left side of the DK scale think they know it all already,
where you and I still have lots to learn and that's a good thing.

> The main benefits are cross-platform data sync and version history. The
> cost is you have to trust people not to mine your personal data.

I like your summary, where I think the MAIN reason for cloud storage is
sheer mindless convenience. Turn our minds off and we can still access all
our data if we put it on the cloud.

I contrast that mindless convenience with a purposeful strategy to only put
on the cloud data which changes by the minute, where the rest of the data
which only changes about daily or less, doesn't need to be on the cloud,
IMHO.

Thanks for your ideas, where I welcome the opportunity to see how other
people think, where your arguments were all reasonable, even as I contrast
them with mine - since logic depends on how much weight we put on each
condition.

Thanks for bringing technical value to the Usenet potluck to share with
all.

Dan Purgert

未読、
2019/06/11 19:08:162019/06/11
To:

Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
> Internet (if so, for what gain over non-Internet methods?)

Yes. Don't forget that your PC at home is technically "on the Internet",
and it's usually pretty easy to make accessible.

> What type of person stores private data on the cloud?
> o Technically astute people?
> o Technically non-astute people?

"The cloud(tm)" is just marketing BS for "on a server somewhere on the
internet" -- generally with the caveat of "owned by someone else".

> For what gain?

I can look something up if I need to.

> [...]
> This question is only about STORING data on the Internet, such as
> o Your media

Nah, too bandwidth intensive. I mean I _CAN_ get at it, but it involves
a ssh jumphost or a VPN connection, plus however long it takes to
transfer across the internet on whatever slow-as-anything internet
connection I have at $remote_location

> o Your documents

They're more generally accessible, but still need a (key auth) sftp
transfer. Though there are things that we do share for extremely
time-limited (1 week or less) periods, as emailing 50MB+ of pics from
Christmas or something to out-of-state family doesn't always work.

> o Your passwords, private calendar, app backups, etc.

Passwords - NO.
Calendar - Yeah; but it's more the "need to share this with people
outside the domicile". The truely "private" things are still on paper
in the kitchen.
Programs - absolutely; but I suppose you probably don't count the Debian
repos.

> Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the
> Internet (if so, for what gain over other less-public methods)?

"On the Internet", sure -- with the caveat that it's likely their own
machine running one or more servies, such as sftp / {own,next}cloud /
email / etc. moreso than gdrive or dropbox.

That is not to say those "commercial" services aren't used, but that
they're for different purposes (e.g. I love the "send to dropbox"
features some sites use for digital goods).

--
|_|O|_|

Arlen G. Holder

未読、