What do Android experts use for their single cross-platform encrypted password database synced on the LAN?

Arlen Holder

Jul 12, 2018, 1:31:49 AM7/12/18
What do Android experts use for their single cross-platform encrypted
password database synced on the LAN?

This is a two-part technical question:
Part I: What tool do you use that respects the cross-platform database?
Part II: What non-cloud solution do you use to sync cross-platform files?

On the Windows newsgroup, we recently designed an efficient vipw command:
"Start > Run > vipw"
Which edits the master password file which will be stored on the LAN:
What Windows freeware adds powerful "phone Susan" & "vipw" commands?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/ySVGbayhLSk/GVGoGANqBAAJ>
Where, for efficiency, it's also in the native Windows 10 Cascade Menu,
Orthodox menu, Heterodox menu, Quick Launch Menu, & Taskbar, e.g.,
in the WinXP-like native Win10 Cascade Menu, you just select:
Start > Programs > vipw

Now we need to extend that solution to the rest of the common OSs.

On Windows, our choice is KeePass, which is the canonical software:
<https://keepass.info/download.html>
On Linux, the choice to use keepass2 is almost universal by default:
<sudo apt install keepass2>
And, on iOS, it's either Keepasstouch or Minikeepass:
<https://itunes.apple.com/app/id451661808>
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id966759076>

The question here is what do you use on Android?

The most common choices seem to be either Keepass2Android or KeePassDroid:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.keepass>

Hence the question here is which is better, in your experience, bearing in
mind the second part of the problem set which will be to set up a
non-cloud-based local LAN solution for automatic sync of the database.

Hence, if you're both highly technical and if you have also already solved
the non-cloud-based cross-platform sync solution for Android, iOS, Linux,
and Windows machines on the LAN, please advise as that's the next step
after choosing the cross-platform software solution.

In summary, this is a two-part *technical* question:

--
HINT: No need to post drivel if you have no technical expertise.
(It's fine if this thread has zero useless posts, as I solve all posed

Libor Striz

Jul 12, 2018, 2:51:07 AM7/12/18
Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
I use Keepass2 on Windows, Keepassx2 on Linux and Keepass2 droid
on Android.

I normally use WebDAV based cloud storage for cloud-local syncing
( at record level) kbdx PW db,
as Windows and Android application support it ( the Linux one
does not, but there is a community version fork that
does.

If not to be cloud based, I was used to emailing the DB ( that is
natively well encrypted itself) and syncing against the local
files.

One could be able to sync or access wifi LAN shares, or pass files
via BT as well. I have not study all available channels for
it.

The syncing is important feature, as there is no need to have a
master copy, changes can be done simultaneously in any dB
instance, updates are then reconciliation during the sync. Of
course, it is better not to try the lack to change the same
record. The good thing is db is keeping history records, so if by
an accident the still valid PW is already overwritten by a new
but not yet valid one, the true one is still available.

--
Libor Striz aka Poutnik ( a pilgrim/wanderer/wayfarer)

"Humour is the only effective weapon against stupidity."
Miloš Forman

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Arlen Holder

Jul 12, 2018, 3:24:45 AM7/12/18
On 11 Jul 2018 22:51:04 GMT, Libor Striz wrote:

> I use Keepass2 on Windows, Keepassx2 on Linux and Keepass2 droid
> on Android.

Hi Poutnik,
I appreciate your advice, because most of the time, the trolls feel the
intense need to add their drivel, which helps nobody.

Thanks for that vote of confidence in the following choices which have to
work together since the cross-platform passwd database is encrypted:
Windows: Keepass2
Linux: Keepassx2
Android: Keepass2 Droid
iOS: (not stated)

This data is a bit confusing that there is a "keepass" & a "keepass2" for
Windows because very few articles mention "keepass2" for Windows. For
example, this doesn't mention "keepass2" for Windows:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePass>
But this does mention a "keepass2" for Windows:
<https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/25fq28/keepass2_vs_keepassx_on_ubuntu_which_one_is_better/>

To add to the confusion, there's also apparently a Windows/Linux KeepassX:
<https://superuser.com/questions/878902/whats-the-difference-between-keepass-and-keepassx>
<https://www.keepassx.org/downloads>

And a Windows KeePassXC:
<https://keepassxc.org/download/>

In addition to the KeePass that I'm currently using:
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/>

But what matters most for this newsgroup is that you like best the Android:
Keepass2 Droid software, so I'll install and test that first.

> I normally use WebDAV based cloud storage for cloud-local syncing
> ( at record level) kbdx PW db,
> as Windows and Android application support it ( the Linux one
> does not, but there is a community version fork that
> does.

I have no experience with WebDav, so, I'm looking it up...
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV>

Oh. It's apparently an extension to the HTTP protocol that is mainly used
for mapping (mounting) cloud drives as a network drive that works just like
a local drive where you can then directly edit cloud files as if they are
local.

I don't actually want to put the passwd file on the "real" cloud, but there
are local cloud solutions that I can set up, so WebDav may still be useful
if the best answer to sync files across the platforms is to use a local
cloud.

I should state that I have no need to use the passwd commands off my own
local LAN (i.e., I won't need the commands when outside my LAN) but for
those who do need the passwd file when traveling, the only solution is a
local copy or the cloud.

> If not to be cloud based, I was used to emailing the DB ( that is
> natively well encrypted itself) and syncing against the local
> files.

I can "copy" the file across the LAN, but that's not the same thing as
having all the platforms use the exact same single file on the LAN.

As noted on the Windows thread, the file will physically reside on a
dual-boot desktop on the LAN where I'm going to try this reputed solution
next, which may work if it does what it's advertised to do:
<https://www.guidingtech.com/34045/host-folder-ftp-server-windows/>
"This trick can be used to share files between computers when many
of them are connected to the same network. Stay tuned and I will
show you how to combine the trick with an Android app to get
unlimited, real-time file syncing between Windows and Android."

> One could be able to sync or access wifi LAN shares, or pass files
> via BT as well. I have not study all available channels for
> it.

I appreciate the advice as probably extremely few people who aren't
networking experts have solved the problem of cross-platform syncing of
files that are stored on a local Windows desktop. I'll solve it - where I
always appreciate your purposefully helpful advice.

Bluetooth is fantastic for small single file transfer, as it's really easy
to set up and doesn't need a LAN per se, but not all the computers have
bluetooth so it's out of the question.

> The syncing is important feature, as there is no need to have a
> master copy, changes can be done simultaneously in any dB
> instance, updates are then reconciliation during the sync.

You bring up an excellent strategic point, which is that there is a choice
between having an encrypted master file that is *copied* versus having
separate files on each platform which are synced automatically.

Obviously the automatic sync option across platforms is preferred!

> Of
> course, it is better not to try the lack to change the same
> record. The good thing is db is keeping history records, so if by
> an accident the still valid PW is already overwritten by a new
> but not yet valid one, the true one is still available.

I agree that version management is always a bitch, in any cross platform
software solution, where I agree with you that the risk is low in this
situation because I'm the only user of this LAN-based solution.

Thanks for your purposefully helpful advice. I will try to keep you
informed of the progress as I have decided to keep the queries separate for
each platform to cut down on the common trolls that infest this newsgroup
(who love to talk about anything other than the actual hard technical
problem to be resolved).

Libor Striz

Jul 12, 2018, 9:55:17 AM7/12/18
Arlen Holder <arlen...@nospam.net> Wrote in message:
> On 11 Jul 2018 22:51:04 GMT, Libor Striz wrote:
>

> work together since the cross-platform passwd database is encrypted:
> Windows: Keepass2
> Linux: Keepassx2
> Android: Keepass2Android
> iOS: (not stated)

By Keepass2 I mean Keepass version 2.x, based on .net framework
wirh kdbx format,
In contrary to version 1.x with kdb format.

KeepassXC is the mentioned community veion, supporting sync.
Note that it is not required for all platforms to support sync.

There was a typo, U mean Keepass2Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keep
ass2android

See also http://Keepass.info

KeepassX is compatible with Keepass v1,
KeepassX2 and KeepassXC with both.

I would use KeepasXC on Linux,
but company SW policy limits me to KeepassX2.

> I should state that I have no need to use the passwd commands off my own
> local LAN (i.e., I won't need the commands when outside my LAN) but for
> those who do need the passwd file when traveling, the only solution is a
> local copy or the cloud.

I do recommend local copies on all platforms .

Never say never. Being abroad, it can be very useful to have
passwords handy

Note thst syncing is not automatic,
But triggered by user action.
Keepass for win may support some automation.

I suggest not to use a single LAN based PW files application
would share,
But rather each app to have a local dB instance synced with the
LAN one.( Or overwrite the target if sync not supported
)

If one app does not support sync,
The sync can be still done using other app that does sync

App1 dB <--overwriting--> dB in middle <--syncing--> app2 db

> Obviously the automatic sync option across platforms is preferred

Keepass2Android
Keepass V2. Win
KeepassXC. Linux

All support the kdbx sync

Note that win application Keepass v2 can run in Linux under Mono
( .net Linux port) as well.

Generally especially in Win/Lin, Keepass* is great in form
filling automation and macros with filling more complicated
forms.

(PeteCresswell)

Jul 16, 2018, 9:15:05 PM7/16/18
Per Arlen Holder:
>HINT: No need to post drivel if you have no technical expertise.

I wouldn't say "No Expertise" but neither would I claim tb "Expert" in
anything except what I do - which is develop bond trading apps.

That being said...

I have been using mSecure for several years and the only complaint I have is
that synchronization is not automatic: I have to open each instance of the
app and explicitly synchronize.

My "Master" instance is on my 24-7 PC writing to a DB on one of my NAS boxes.

So far it has handled differences gracefully.
--
Pete Cresswell