What are some key common databases you often SHARE between your desktop & mobile devices?

arlen holder

Mar 1, 2019, 1:23:19 AM3/1/19
Without ever needing to put private databases on the Internet...

Q: What are some key common cross-platform databases you often SHARE
between your desktop & your mobile devices over your private LAN?

Some common key databases I share over the LAN between all devices are:
o My encrypted keepass,kdbx password common database
o My iCalendar.ics schedule & appointments common database
o My VCARD contacts.vcf contacts & phone number common database
etc.

For these key common database files, you can easily import/export & edit
the common key database on _any_ platform.
o Passwords
o Calendar
o Contacts
etc.

As always, without needing to put private databases ever on the Internet...

Q: What are some other key common databases you often SHARE
between your desktop & your mobile devices over your private LAN?

Arlen G. Holder

May 10, 2019, 10:00:45 PM5/10/19

> Q: What are some other key common databases you often SHARE
> between your desktop & your mobile devices over your private LAN?

UPDATE:

Apparently xJumper has a "DDNS" automatic sync solution which we can
possibly set up if we knew more how to set it up on a typical home private
LAN.
o Need A FREE Password Manager - Secure and Simple
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/5HFVXB5yTk4>

Which "may" enable us to sync:
o Password kdbx files containing our private passwords
o Calendar ics files containing our private schedule
o Contact vcard lists of our private contacts
o TrueCrypt tc encrypted containers containing private documents
etc.

Where XJumper describes his auto-sync setup over here:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/5HFVXB5yTk4/T3H8Ph8LAQAJ>

Which I quote below, as it seems to be a useful possible solution:

"I use keepass2 on Linux and Keepassandroid on my phone. Fully self
hosted non-cloud/third party seemless password managing isn't that hard.

There's a plugin for keepass2 to sync to online databases, I first setup
my own ftp server for that but realized that was a pain in the ass to
administer. So now I just put the password db on my router. Routers have
a public WAN IP and a small amount of internal memory and if it's a
semi-decent router it can withstand the rigors of being
accessible/exposed to the internet.

I set my router to DDNS to my domain name, I SCP the .kdbx file to the
routers home directory, created a limited user on the router and have
keepass2 sync over SCP with that limited users credentials.

So I have a fully homemade self hosted secure password db that
seamlessly syncs across all my devices."

xJumper

May 12, 2019, 3:43:10 PM5/12/19
Here I'll just post the reply I made to you in the other thread...

To run any kind of home server/self-hosted thing you probably want to
start out with getting a domain name. Even if you use web mail getting
it associated/linked to a domain name you own is a good idea since it
means emails associated with your persona go to that domain and the
webmail provider is just that, an email provider only. This allows you
to switch freely between providers and never have your email address
held hostage.

Getting a domain name with a registrar that supports DDNS (Dynamic DNS)
is the next step in setting up home brew solutions. With this you don't
need a static IP and/or the expensive business internet connections
typically associated with it.

Dynamic DNS is simply a program you run on your machine/server/router or
what have you that will monitor your WAN IP and update the IP record of
your domain name on the registar when it changes. This allows you to run
home brew servers/self-hosted solutions with a real domain instead of
trying to figure out and remember your constantly changing dynamic IP
and connecting to your home brew solution by numerical address.

Once you do that, skys the limit. You can setup a NAS with files and
port forward from your router to make it accessible from the internet,
have whatever files you want on it (including .kbdx files). You can use
some of the on rails solutions like nextcloud, or a quick an dirty
solution like I suggested, simply placing the .kbdx file on your routers
home directory and accessing it via SCP protocol which can be done in
Keepass2 using the auto-syncing SCP plugin.