Source for out of production Winch Parts

Matthew Davidson

Aug 31, 2015, 3:20:40 PM8/31/15
to Passport Owners
In the process of our Refit of Wildflower I have been faced with the task of rebuilding all of the Winches that underwent fire damage.

Our particular winches are composed of
2ea 40ST Winches mounted on each side of the companion way... these were badly burned to the point that all of the plastic parts inside and out were melted. Used a heat gun the free up the bearings.
2ea 44ST Winches mounted aft for either Spinnaker or Stay sail use... Damages Top Cap Cover, Internal Crown Stripper Plastic Inserts and a bunch of other parts.
2ea 48ST Winches mounted for the Jib/Genoa use... Damages Top Cap Cover, Internal Crown Stripper Plastic Inserts and a bunch of other parts

Lewmar was able to provide a full parts breakdown and exploded view of all of the parts for our vintage 1983-1991 winches.
This was very helpful as I went through each winch and made my list or parts off these drawings.
Bottom line was... most of the plastic parts other than bearings are now out of production... according to lewmar and fisheries supply.

Then I found WinchSpares.com out of England! I was able to order all of the out of production parts from them and found their service to be excellent!!!!

They have also come up with a Replacement Crown retrofit for the 48ST's to eliminate the corrosion problems associates with Aluminum/Stainless. Mine were not corroded but I wanted to pass this on to you folks as others may want to investigate under your Top Crowns for Corrosion.

Tony sales@winchspares.com is a good contact... Does not work over the phone so Email is your only way to communicate.
Ordered the parts 2 weeks ago and received them today. Made payment by pay pal.
Exchange rate came out to $180 bucks for all of the parts I needed. The rest I ordered from Fisheries Supply....

FYI

psherwood

Aug 31, 2015, 3:46:13 PM8/31/15
to Matthew Davidson, Passport Owners
Plastic parts in winches???

Phil
s/v Cynosure
> Tony sa...@winchspares.com is a good contact... Does not work over the
> phone so Email is your only way to communicate.
> Ordered the parts 2 weeks ago and received them today. Made payment by
> pay pal.
> Exchange rate came out to $180 bucks for all of the parts I needed. The
> rest I ordered from Fisheries Supply....
>
> FYI
>
> --
> --
> Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
> To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to
> Passpor...@googlegroups.com
> To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
> Groups "Passport Owners" group.
> an email to PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:PassportOwner...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> No virus found in this message.

Matthew Davidson

Aug 31, 2015, 4:01:21 PM8/31/15
to Passport Owners
Exploded views of Lewmar Winches attached along with a great identification reference

FYI

Matthew A Davidson - Mat...@AntecCorporation.com
SV Wildflower

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
How To Identify Your Lewmar Winch.pdf
Vol 3 16 Standard.pdf
Vol 3 16ST.pdf
Vol 3 40ST.pdf
Vol 3 44ST.pdf
Vol 3 48ST.pdf

Bill Schmidt

Aug 31, 2015, 4:58:53 PM8/31/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Wahoo, Matt! Good things happen to good people.
Billy Manana
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
bill.vcf