Why Do Some Linux Users Hate Windows?

John Slade

Feb 3, 2012, 6:21:21 PM2/3/12
I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I
also got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95
and it was truly innovative back then. Then I started using
Linux along with Windows and that's what I've been using. I now
use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?

John

Big Steel

Feb 3, 2012, 6:33:52 PM2/3/12
Herd mentality, insanity, hypocritical, anti capitalism and they think
they are better than everyone else.

Mark S Bilk

Feb 3, 2012, 6:38:03 PM2/3/12
On Feb 3, 3:21 pm, John Slade <hhitma...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> ...    I now
> use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
> them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
> other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?

I don't hate Windows. (I try not to *hate* anything -- it's
a big waste of energy). I just don't have any use for it,
and its facilities are greatly inferior to those of Linux
with KDE3 (20 desktops, soft links, superb script
language, total user control of the computer not
corporate control, etc.).

The problem is Microsoft's 15 year and continuing
war against Linux, constantly trying to make life
difficult for us:

http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html

Mark S Bilk

Feb 3, 2012, 6:44:23 PM2/3/12
And there is Microsoft, posting under the false identity
"Big Steel", attacking Linux users with lying propaganda.

http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html

The anti-Linux propagandists flooding COLA constantly
claim that Linux users are a "herd" and "cult" -- thus
incapable of thinking for themselves. The propagandists
tell these lies and many others -- some obscene -- about
Linux users in order to dissuade visitors to COLA from
trying Linux.

The anti-Linux propagandists are following the instructions
in Microsoft's top-secret propaganda manual:

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20071023002351958

[quote]
[Microsoft's] Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail
into the competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the
burning depths of the earth. Ideally, use of the competing
technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as in,
"he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2." Just
keep rubbing it in, via the [bribed] press, [bribed] analysts,
[Usenet] newsgroups, whatever. Make the complete failure of
the competition's technology part of the mythology of the
computer industry.
[/quote]

RonB

Feb 3, 2012, 8:34:05 PM2/3/12
I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
can break down at the smallest provocation, 2) the time wasted installing
and maintaining anti-virus and anti-malware applications, 3) the super-
slow updating process, 4) the lack of security even when you do maintain
anti-malware and anti-virus applications and, 5) I despise Microsoft's
misuse of their monopoly position to force OEMs to carry ONLY Windows or
pay a licensing fee on products even when the Windows OS is not installed
on them.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 3, 2012, 9:02:16 PM2/3/12
John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
jerks.

Like this one:

--
Poor insane Willy.
I said "drift away". I always drifted in and out but basically idiots

Ezekiel

Feb 3, 2012, 9:17:43 PM2/3/12

"John Slade" <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
Your subject line says it all - "... SOME Linux Users..."

If you were to map where such a fringe group congregates then a place like
COLA would be one of those places to meet and gripe.

Look away from the fringe and more towards the "center" of Linux users
(think Linux World, kernel developers, etc) they aren't angry radicals that
you'll find towards the far end of the curve like COLA.

Big Steel

Feb 3, 2012, 9:18:03 PM2/3/12
On 2/3/2012 9:02 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
>> years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I
>> also got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95
>> and it was truly innovative back then. Then I started using
>> Linux along with Windows and that's what I've been using. I now
>> use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
>> them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
>> other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>
> Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
> jerks.
>
> Like this one:

Oh look Christina Ahlstrom is trying to act like a man. It's very
amusing! :)

Big Steel

Feb 3, 2012, 9:22:23 PM2/3/12
One might add that he is a US citizen that cow-tows to the British, like
the wimp that he is. He's a very sad man indeed. He should leave the US
like a man or be kicked out like the British lapdog that he is about.

Ezekiel

Feb 3, 2012, 9:25:09 PM2/3/12

"Big Steel" <St...@SteelSteel.com> wrote in message
> On 2/3/2012 9:02 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>

>> Like this one:
>>

> Oh look Christina Ahlstrom is trying to act like a man. It's very
> amusing! :)

My *next* bounty is going to be a dumb-wiily post - the person he's
defending. It'll be something like find 2/3 dumb willy posts in a row that
isn't a "me too" or "trolls/kiillfiles" post.

Note to self - find password and upload photos of the RB bounty.

Big Steel

Feb 3, 2012, 9:46:05 PM2/3/12
2/3? That's more like 99.9%. It's hard to find that 1%.

Foster

Feb 3, 2012, 10:34:45 PM2/3/12
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 21:02:16 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
> jerks.

You're the one full of bull shit Chrissy Ahlstrom.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Foster

Feb 3, 2012, 10:35:55 PM2/3/12
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:21:21 -0800, John Slade wrote:

Look outside COLA, comp.os.linux.advocacy and you will find decent
Linux users.

COLA has nothing but Linux zealots who are hypocrites, parasites and
vermin.

They will LIE for LIEnux at every opportunity.

Snit

Feb 3, 2012, 10:38:08 PM2/3/12
RonB stated in post jgi1ud$hbf$1...@dont-email.me on 2/3/12 6:34 PM:
Fair enough. Productivity is not your top concern... you stand by your
philosophy about MS instead of focusing on that. I commend you for that.

--
🙈🙉🙊

Gregory Shearman

Feb 4, 2012, 12:31:52 AM2/4/12
On 2012-02-04, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

<troll stuff deleted>

> Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
> jerks.

"John Slade" is already killfiled here. I didn't see the article. I
suggest it is a sock of one of our well-known trolls.

--
Regards,
Gregory.

William Poaster

Feb 4, 2012, 5:17:37 AM2/4/12
+1

--
XPN :: http://xpn.altervista.org

The majority of people use Windows simply because most PCs
come with Windows pre-installed; they did *not* choose it.
-- A.Y. Siu - 2006 --

A GNU/Linux user for 10+ years.

A report by the Standish Group states that adoption of
open-source software models has resulted in savings of
about $60 billion per year to consumers.

Big Steel

Feb 4, 2012, 5:30:31 AM2/4/12
On 2/4/2012 5:17 AM, William Poaster wrote:
> Here is a facsimile from RonB who, on 4/2/2012 01:34, wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:21:21 -0800, John Slade wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>
>> I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
>> can break down at the smallest provocation, 2) the time wasted installing
>> and maintaining anti-virus and anti-malware applications, 3) the super-
>> slow updating process, 4) the lack of security even when you do maintain
>> anti-malware and anti-virus applications and, 5) I despise Microsoft's
>> misuse of their monopoly position to force OEMs to carry ONLY Windows or
>> pay a licensing fee on products even when the Windows OS is not installed
>> on them.
>
> +1

Someone show me a post from Poaster that has nothing to do with posting
headers or him doing a "me to" post.

William Poaster

Feb 4, 2012, 5:42:50 AM2/4/12
Here is a facsimile from Chris Ahlstrom who, on 4/2/2012 02:02, wrote:

> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
>> years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I
>> also got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95
>> and it was truly innovative back then. Then I started using
>> Linux along with Windows and that's what I've been using. I now
>> use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
>> them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
>> other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>
> Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
> jerks.
>
> Like this one:

Poor insane Willy.
I said "drift away". I always drifted in and out but basically idiots
like you (and that numbskull caver1) made the Ubuntu group a bit of a
fan boy love in.
I realise you're an anal retentive idiot Willy, but try to understand
the meaning of "language" as opposed to "words".
-- "Hadron" <h4ch7e$9gg$4...@news.eternal-september.org>

Heh. What a load of bollocks. It seems the Hadron M$ fanboi replied to
me, even though I've had the jackass binned for years.

Coming from someone who has reading/comprehension problems, I found this
'but try to understand the meaning of "language" as opposed to "words".'
quite ironic! LOL

"Not what he said, but we all know that your reading skills suck arse...
You gave no advice at all.  Just more grandstanding and whinnying..."
Joe - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

He "left", when he was called on numerous times on his whining about
Linux, to either put up or STFU:-

"Hardon's been challenged many a time in this NG when he starts one of
his anti-FOSS tirades about how bad FOSS software is. We're still
waiting and will probably never see what magnificent FOSS software he
produces. He's also been challenged to provide us with the best
distro, as he seems all hung up about there being too many of them out
there. Again, we're still waiting for Hardonix."
NoStop - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

Note the "anti-FOSS tirades about how bad FOSS software is.", so when
*most* of the Ubuntu users in that group either climbed all over him
about his whining & anti-FOSS rants, he invariably had his ass kicked
by many of the group's posters. Well wtf did the jerk expect?
Then they either binned or completely ignored him, & the trolling M$
jackass blames me or the other Ubuntu user "fan boys"!
[Heh, I might have done the group a favor getting rid of the twat. ;-p ]

Here's what some said about him:

What he posts is nothing compared to your obsessive whining. You have a
habit of turning nearly every thread you participate in into a flame
war or just a general moan. You continually pull people into threads by
name and mentioning COLA at every opportunity.
Trevor Best - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

At least HE, unlike YOU, is contributing something! All you're doing is
bitching, whining and moaning and generally getting on people's such as
my own's nerves.
Stephan Rose - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

I just wanted to see what Hadron would answer,
since he /complains about everything/ in Linux.
Notice no answer.
caver1 - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

"I didn't see his post because I have him killfiled over being a rabid Win-troll in a number of groups
whenever his C.O.L.A. buddies are on a trolling spree again, in addition
to the fact that he's simply an ill-mannered, ill-educated, arrogant and
shamelessly lying character. I see him being cocky and abusive to other
people as well in what they quote from his posts, so I'm apparently not
the only one who doesn't like Hadron.
He has already quite abundantly expressed his frustration with his being
killfiled...."
A.N.Other - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

Keith Curtis - alt.os.ubuntu
"I cannot believe how many lies he tells. He is seriously disturbed."

"You're still an arrogant prick full of himself and your shitty attitude
does far more harm than good."
Meat Plow in reply to Quack - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

etc...etc..

--
Floppy not responding. Press any key to format HARD DRIVE instead

Big Steel

Feb 4, 2012, 5:54:32 AM2/4/12
On 2/4/2012 5:42 AM, William Poaster wrote:

<snipped>

Someone show me a post from Poaster that has nothing to do with posting
headers, his filters or him doing a "me to" post.

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 4, 2012, 6:53:44 AM2/4/12
William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> What he posts is nothing compared to your obsessive whining. You have a
> habit of turning nearly every thread you participate in into a flame
> war or just a general moan. You continually pull people into threads by
> name and mentioning COLA at every opportunity.
> Trevor Best - alt.os.linux.ubuntu

Heh. I know what he meant. Many threads and subject lines with "Chris
Ahlstrom" in them, calling me out or seeding Google with inanity.

--
*** A NEW KIND OF PROGRAMMING ***

Do you want the instant respect that comes from being able to use technical
terms that nobody understands? Do you want to strike fear and loathing into
the hearts of DP managers everywhere? If so, then let the Famous Programmers'
School lead you on... into the world of professional computer programming.
They say a good programmer can write 20 lines of effective program per day.
With our unique training course, we'll show you how to write 20 lines of code
and lots more besides. Our training course covers every programming language
in existence, and some that aren't. You'll learn why the on/off switch for a
computer is so important, what the words *fatal error* mean, and who and what
you should blame when you make a mistake.

Yes, I want the brochure describing this incredible offer.
I enclose $1000 is small unmarked bills to cover the cost of
postage and handling. (No live poultry, please.)

*** Our Slogan: Top down programming for the masses. ***

Big Steel

Feb 4, 2012, 7:27:36 AM2/4/12
On 2/4/2012 6:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

<snipped>

Ahlstrom is constantly whining about something like a little baby girl
that needs a diaper change.

Snit

Feb 4, 2012, 8:38:50 AM2/4/12
Chris Ahlstrom stated in post jgj65e$smt$1...@dont-email.me on 2/4/12 4:53 AM:

> William Poaster wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> What he posts is nothing compared to your obsessive whining. You have a
>> habit of turning nearly every thread you participate in into a flame
>> war or just a general moan. You continually pull people into threads by
>> name and mentioning COLA at every opportunity.
>> Trevor Best - alt.os.linux.ubuntu
>
> Heh. I know what he meant. Many threads and subject lines with "Chris
> Ahlstrom" in them, calling me out or seeding Google with inanity.

Sort of like how Peter K. seeds Google with my my info ... and you *never*
speak out about it.

I think it is wrong of people to do this to you... but I am the better man -
you will never say it is wrong of Peter to do *worse* to me. You back your
herd all the way.
🙈🙉🙊

sidejob scooter

Feb 4, 2012, 9:00:21 AM2/4/12

> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
>> years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also
>> got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was
>> truly innovative back then. Then I started using Linux along with
>> Windows and that's what I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP
>> along with a Linux distribution. All of them have their uses and using
>> one doesn't make me hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me
>> why some Linux folk seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?

I'm forced to use XP and Seven at work. Mostly, I just feel sorry for
anyone that has to use Windows or doesn't know of Linux.

SJS

Mark S Bilk

Feb 4, 2012, 9:03:35 AM2/4/12
On Feb 4, 4:27 am, Big Steel <St...@SteelSteel.com> wrote:
> Why Do Men Hate a Pussy Like Ahlstrom ?

"Big Steel" is a fraudulent identity used by the Microsoft
Corporation for posting lying anti-Linux propaganda to Usenet.

Microsoft's 50,000 attacks per year in Usenet against Linux
are only one of many techniques the corporation has used
for fifteen years to try to prevent people from using Linux
(a superior and cost-free alternative to Microsoft's products):

http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html

Microsoft has two purposes in using obscenity ("Pussy")
to attack Linux users:

1. To cause some readers, especially women, to leave the
newsgroup before they can learn anything about Linux.

2. To make people believe, on a subconscious level, that
they too will be attacked if they use Linux.

Microsoft continues:

> On 2/4/2012 6:53 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Heh. I know what he meant. Many threads and subject lines
>> with "Chris Ahlstrom" in them, calling me out or seeding
>> Google with inanity.
>
> Ahlstrom is constantly whining about something like a little
> baby girl that needs a diaper change.

Note Microsoft's methods here:

1. Using various fraudulent identities, Microsoft publishes
hundreds of lying personal attacks against Linux user
Chris Ahlstrom.

2. When Ahlstrom talks about Microsoft's attacks against him,
Microsoft attacks him for doing *that*. Microsoft is
behaving as a psychopath bully who is outraged when
his victim fights back, and who then attacks his victim
even more viciously for doing so.

3. In the second-level attack, Microsoft employs the hatred
that psychopaths in our society have against females and
children, saying that Ahlstrom is "whining like a little
baby girl".

Microsoft constantly and viciously harms others in order to
benefit itself. That is the defining characteristic of a
psychopath. If you buy Microsoft products you are rewarding
and financing that behavior. Please don't.

A Sinister Midget

Feb 4, 2012, 8:20:32 AM2/4/12
On 2012-02-04, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> claimed:

> .....3) the super-slow updating process,....

The machine I use at work is "off the grid" so to speak. (Now that I
know how to do that, I'll keep it that way.) They push things, and it
doesn't get them. That includes updates. So I go get them myself.

Yesterday I decided to get updates. I went to the site and it started
deciding what I needed. It was still deciding 5 minutes later when I
thought I'd look to see what the netbook needed, too. It was already
running, so no big deal. I fire up Synaptic, find there are 4 of them,
tell it to upgrade, hit apply, agree that's what I want, wait for the
upgrades to install and kill Synaptic. What is MICROS~1 doing when
that's finished? Still checking to see what I need.

In addition to that, Synaptic has yet to tell me I need to update
something I don't have installed.

Every time I get updates for the Windummie machine, I'm informed I need
a security update for Offal 2007. The machine doesn't /have/ Offal
2007 installed. Not even part of it. In fact, there's no MICROS~1
Offal product installed at all. Until 3 weeks ago there wasn't *any*
office product on there. That's when I installed Libreoffice. But for
the past 8 months it keeps insisting I need to allow an Offal 2007
security update.

Just to try to get it to shut up, I told it to go ahead and install it
a couple of months ago. 30 minutes later it informed me that one of
the updates bombed. Guess which one it was. And that one is still
always there to be installed each time I check.

MICROS~1 Slopware© is "professional" "software" for "profssional"
"people".

--
To err is human. To moo bovine
Acer Aspire One, Lubuntu 11.10

DFS

Feb 4, 2012, 9:19:34 AM2/4/12
On 2/4/2012 9:00 AM, sidejob scooter wrote:

>> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
>>> years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also
>>> got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was
>>> truly innovative back then. Then I started using Linux along with
>>> Windows and that's what I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP
>>> along with a Linux distribution. All of them have their uses and using
>>> one doesn't make me hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me
>>> why some Linux folk seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>

> I'm forced to use XP and Seven at work.

heh! Another "Linux advocate" that makes a living with Windows.

Better get used to it - you can look forward to that for the rest of
your life. Enjoy!

> Mostly, I just feel sorry for
> anyone that has to use Windows or doesn't know of Linux.

Point them to:

http://ubuntuforums.org
http://forums.opensuse.org/
http://fedoraforum.org/
http://forums.linuxmint.com/
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/
https://bbs.archlinux.org/
http://forums.debian.net/
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/
http://forum.mandriva.com/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/

And explain that's what it's like to run Linux on a day-to-day basis.

DFS

Feb 4, 2012, 9:21:27 AM2/4/12
On 2/4/2012 8:20 AM, A Sinister Midget wrote:

> Every time I get updates for the Windummie machine, I'm informed I need
> a security update for Offal 2007. The machine doesn't /have/ Offal
> 2007 installed.

Linux Mint used to tell me it was "checking battery state..."

On my desktop.

Why is the slopware so confused?

> MICROS~1 Slopware© is "professional" "software" for "profssional"
> "people".

Linux crapware is hobby software for tinkertime people.

Foster

Feb 4, 2012, 9:40:43 AM2/4/12
I think that was the distribution that thought my keyboard was a
mouse.

Torre Starnes

Feb 4, 2012, 9:42:26 AM2/4/12
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 14:00:21 GMT, sidejob scooter wrote:

> I'm forced to use XP and Seven at work. Mostly, I just feel sorry for
> anyone that has to use Windows or doesn't know of Linux.
>
> SJS

I pity anyone who is forced to use Linux at work, although extremely
rare, those people have to try and fit square pegs in round holes
all day long and then when they go home they have to forget
everything they learned about Linux so they can function in the real
world, Windows or Mac.

Foster

Feb 4, 2012, 10:06:36 AM2/4/12
Maybe he is into "infantilism" ?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3003/2467422464_a4779a7a95.jpg

(That should get Marti and the other deviants all lit up!)

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 4, 2012, 10:10:29 AM2/4/12
A Sinister Midget wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2012-02-04, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> claimed:
>
>> .....3) the super-slow updating process,....
>
> The machine I use at work is "off the grid" so to speak. (Now that I
> know how to do that, I'll keep it that way.) They push things, and it
> doesn't get them. That includes updates. So I go get them myself.
>
> Yesterday I decided to get updates. I went to the site and it started
> deciding what I needed. It was still deciding 5 minutes later when I
> thought I'd look to see what the netbook needed, too. It was already
> running, so no big deal. I fire up Synaptic, find there are 4 of them,
> tell it to upgrade, hit apply, agree that's what I want, wait for the
> upgrades to install and kill Synaptic. What is MICROS~1 doing when
> that's finished? Still checking to see what I need.
>
> In addition to that, Synaptic has yet to tell me I need to update
> something I don't have installed.
>
> Every time I get updates for the Windummie machine, I'm informed I need
> a security update for Offal 2007. The machine doesn't /have/ Offal
> 2007 installed. Not even part of it. In fact, there's no MICROS~1
> Offal product installed at all. Until 3 weeks ago there wasn't *any*
> office product on there. That's when I installed Libreoffice. But for
> the past 8 months it keeps insisting I need to allow an Offal 2007
> security update.

I wouldn't be surprised if Offal (Awful?) was intimately tied to the
operating system via some dog-ass system DLL.

You know, just to make it more difficult to run Offal in WINE, for
example.

> Just to try to get it to shut up, I told it to go ahead and install it
> a couple of months ago. 30 minutes later it informed me that one of
> the updates bombed. Guess which one it was. And that one is still
> always there to be installed each time I check.
>
> MICROS~1 Slopware© is "professional" "software" for "profssional"
> "people".

I don't believe Microsoft programmers are a den of fools. My belief,
buttressed from what I've read in articles here and there, is that
Microsoft programmers are organized in small, tight groups, each vying
to get their stuff into the pipeline, and perhaps writing modules that
duplicate existing functionality, with no central systems architect to
coordinate all their efforts.

So you get Office programmers writing code that depends on system
modules, for example.

Pure speculation, of course, but I've seen similar kinds of issues in
our little group.

--
You are of course a liar. I know more about Linux than you most
probably. God knows you have proven youself to know little of anything

DFS

Feb 4, 2012, 10:08:54 AM2/4/12

DFS

Feb 4, 2012, 10:22:13 AM2/4/12
On 2/4/2012 10:10 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> So you get Office programmers writing code that depends on system
> modules, for example.
>
> Pure speculation, of course, but I've seen similar kinds of issues in
> our little group.

Of course it's pure speculation - it was uttered about Microsoft by an
ignorant Linux "advocate".

Foster

Feb 4, 2012, 10:32:58 AM2/4/12
On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 10:10:29 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised if Offal (Awful?) was intimately tied to the
> operating system via some dog-ass system DLL.

Offal?
Is that some new Linux distribution?

Good name!
It fits!

Foster

Feb 4, 2012, 10:34:30 AM2/4/12
Shit!
That guy is really twisted!!

He probably likes all the Linux distributions. After all he
certainly has all the time in the world to try them!

Homer

Feb 4, 2012, 6:43:35 PM2/4/12
Verily I say unto thee that John "flatty" Slade spake thusly:

> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years.

Yes we know, flatty, and for the last twenty of those thirty years
you've been posting shite on COLA, making the same insults, asking
the same questions and getting the same answers, over and over and
(for instance) over again.

But since you've asked, yet again:

I don't "hate" Windows, because hating inanimate objects is highly
irrational. I /dislike/ Windows, certainly, because it's a pile of
shit, but what I dislike most is the fact that I'm forced to /pay/
for that pile of shit whether I want it or not, every time I buy a
PC. I reserve my hatred for the racketeers who force me to pay for
their shit, Microsoft, and for all their other criminal activities
(like sabotaging charities, for example).

Here, why don't you have another look at the same documented facts
you've known about for years?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/341641fe9b5dfcbc
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/6d40147cb43c924b
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/55d4394f1cbfc851
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/539fc659c93b691c
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/13f804093e02bcc1

Etc.

--
K. | "You see? You cannot kill me. There is no flesh
http://slated.org | and blood within this cloak to kill. There is

Foster

Feb 4, 2012, 10:03:56 PM2/4/12
On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 23:43:35 +0000, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee that John "flatty" Slade spake thusly:
>>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years.
>
> Yes we know, flatty, and for the last twenty of those thirty years
> you've been posting shite on COLA, making the same insults, asking
> the same questions and getting the same answers, over and over and
> (for instance) over again.
>
> But since you've asked, yet again:

You are misfiring once again.
Not flatty BTW.

Flatty is OS agnostic.
Use what works.
Applications are what counts, not the OS.

Windows has the good ones.

Linux?

Well, we all know what basement ware Linux distributions are
comprised of.
You have a decent, actually a very good kernel, good out of the box
security, (mostly due to lack of market)and other advantages.

But then it comes down to applications and that is where Linux
fails, and badly.

chrisv

Feb 6, 2012, 8:38:56 AM2/6/12
John Slade wrote:

>Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?

Is this a forgery? I know that John "mono means one" Slade is a
moron, but this is out of line, even for him.

I'm really wondering if the "GreyCloud" nym isn't just a Flatfish sock
as well.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 6, 2012, 1:40:55 PM2/6/12
On 2012-02-04, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>> I'm forced to use XP and Seven at work.
>
> heh! Another "Linux advocate" that makes a living with Windows.

...it's almost like Microsoft has been declared a monpoly by the courts or somesuch.

[deletia]

--
This is a consumer product. |||
World domination simply isn't necessary. / | \

JEDIDIAH

Feb 6, 2012, 1:38:04 PM2/6/12
On 2012-02-03, Big Steel <St...@SteelSteel.com> wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 6:21 PM, John Slade wrote:
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>

> Herd mentality,

Microsoft will try to do the right thing and then screw it up horribly.
This can be their attempt at "security" (like UAC) or "ease of use" like
ribbon. They seem entirely unable to make things as simple as they can be
(like Apple does sometimes).

Microsoft is everywhere and forced down everyone's throats. OEMs have
a hard time getting away with it. If something has 90%+ of the market and
have had that kind of dominance for decades, chances that it's not because
people actually like it. People are far too fickle and chaotic.

Back to point #1. When Microsoft finally got around to acknowledging
the improvements in UIs from the 80s (in the mid 90s) they managed to
botch things up by bluring the line between programs and data and spawned
entirely new forms of malware. The sandbagging also was not restrited to
the GUI. They also took 10 years too long to take advantage of modern CPU
features.

XP was what Win95 was promised to be.

It still tends to eat resources for no apparent reason. It is still
prone to getting malware in stupid ways. Software and hardware installation
is more complicated than it needs to be. PCs bundled with Windows also
tend to have other crap bundled with it that impact performance and
usability. Microsoft plays all sorts of games with what features are enabled
in a particular flavor of the OS and Microsoft apps and Windows tend to not
play well with older product versions.

The strength of WinDOS was always the perception that it had all of the
apps. It's 3rd parties that make Windows a platform worth bothering with at
all. It might be Apple or some obscure vertical market app vendor.

It's Lemming Trolls that catch flack here.

DFS

Feb 6, 2012, 5:39:06 PM2/6/12
It's almost like the "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs"
blabbed by 7 and Homer don't actually exist.

Gregory Shearman

Feb 7, 2012, 12:59:03 AM2/7/12
Never saw the post, chrisv. Filtered out using my trollscreen. I'm
fairly sure that it's one of the usual suspects.

--
Regards,
Gregory.

DFS

Feb 7, 2012, 1:30:49 AM2/7/12
On 2/3/2012 6:38 PM, Mark S Bilk wrote:
> On Feb 3, 3:21 pm, John Slade<hhitma...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> ... I now
>> use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
>> them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
>> other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>
> I don't hate Windows. (I try not to *hate* anything -- it's
> a big waste of energy). I just don't have any use for it,
> and its facilities are greatly inferior to those of Linux
> with KDE3 (20 desktops, soft links, superb script
> language, total user control of the computer not
> corporate control, etc.).
>
> The problem is Microsoft's 15 year and continuing
> war against Linux, constantly trying to make life
> difficult for us:
>
> http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html

Most of that crapola is just a figment of your deluded imagination.

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 7, 2012, 6:37:29 AM2/7/12
Mark S Bilk wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Feb 4, 4:27 am, Big Steel <St...@SteelSteel.com> wrote:
>
> <squealing snipped>
>
> "Big Steel" is a fraudulent identity used by the Microsoft
> Corporation for posting lying anti-Linux propaganda to Usenet.

"Big Steel" is a coprolalic little shaver who likes to play
Big Man.

> Microsoft's 50,000 attacks per year in Usenet against Linux
> are only one of many techniques the corporation has used
> for fifteen years to try to prevent people from using Linux
> (a superior and cost-free alternative to Microsoft's products):
>
> http://cosmicpenguin.com/linux/MICROSOFTS_WAR_AGAINST_LINUX.html
>
> Microsoft has two purposes in using obscenity ("Pussy")
> to attack Linux users:
>
> 1. To cause some readers, especially women, to leave the
> newsgroup before they can learn anything about Linux.
>
> 2. To make people believe, on a subconscious level, that
> they too will be attacked if they use Linux.

Oh, that is definitely true in this newsgroup.

> Note Microsoft's methods here:
>
> 1. Using various fraudulent identities, Microsoft publishes
> hundreds of lying personal attacks against Linux user
> Chris Ahlstrom.
>
> 2. When Ahlstrom talks about Microsoft's attacks against him,
> Microsoft attacks him for doing *that*. Microsoft is
> behaving as a psychopath bully who is outraged when
> his victim fights back, and who then attacks his victim
> even more viciously for doing so.
>
> 3. In the second-level attack, Microsoft employs the hatred
> that psychopaths in our society have against females and
> children, saying that Ahlstrom is "whining like a little
> baby girl".
>
> Microsoft constantly and viciously harms others in order to
> benefit itself. That is the defining characteristic of a
> psychopath. If you buy Microsoft products you are rewarding
> and financing that behavior. Please don't.

LOL

Might as well say "Don't pay your taxes because the U.S. harms people
thoughout the world."

Thank you for your support, though. :-)

--
Suing for look and feel is a tad on the dodgy side.
Mind you, didn't google recently "patent" having a new image on their

chrisv

Feb 7, 2012, 8:39:50 AM2/7/12
Gregory Shearman wrote:

> chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Is this a forgery? I know that John "mono means one" Slade is a
>> moron, but this is out of line, even for him.
>
>Never saw the post, chrisv. Filtered out using my trollscreen. I'm
>fairly sure that it's one of the usual suspects.

Well, John "mono means one" Slade is an incredibly stupid and
dishonest bastard. Another asshole to thinks there's no monopoly
until every hint, every last vestige, of alternatives have been
eradicated.

Only then, presumably, should rules preventing abuse of market power
kick-in. Once every alternatve is *dead*. Should a glimmer of
alternative appear, the rules should be immediately relaxed!

That would work, eh?

chrisv

Feb 7, 2012, 8:41:57 AM2/7/12
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> Microsoft constantly and viciously harms others in order to
>> benefit itself. That is the defining characteristic of a
>> psychopath. If you buy Microsoft products you are rewarding
>> and financing that behavior. Please don't.
>
>LOL
>
>Might as well say "Don't pay your taxes because the U.S. harms people
>thoughout the world."

Or "don't use electricity if you oppose nuclear power".

JEDIDIAH

Feb 7, 2012, 10:08:43 AM2/7/12
The idea that you don't need competent or talented people to run and
maintain WinDOS is one of it's key selling points. This comes straight
from the vole.

"Windows users can be dumber."

Unix jobs pay more.

Linux is just another Unix.

Conversely, there is an expectation (for good or bad) that people that
use and work with Unix need to have something resembling a clue.

--

MSOffice is completely unremarkable except for the fact |||
that it is most compatable with itself. / | \

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 7, 2012, 10:44:08 AM2/7/12
Well, DumbFullShit is showing this statement to have some merit. Every post
he makes is showing that even abject stupid people (like him) manage to
torment his mouse while furiously searching the menus.

> Unix jobs pay more.

Well, that has always been true

> Linux is just another Unix.

In usage and administration, yes

> Conversely, there is an expectation (for good or bad) that people that
> use and work with Unix need to have something resembling a clue.

Well, they need to. They are the ones who are called to the rescue when the
totally clobbered "windows-servers" stop serving the little bit they do

DFS

Feb 7, 2012, 11:43:22 AM2/7/12
On 2/7/2012 10:44 AM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> On 2012-02-06, DFS<nos...@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> It's almost like the "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs"
>>> blabbed by 7 and Homer don't actually exist.
>>
>> The idea that you don't need competent or talented people to run and
>> maintain WinDOS is one of it's key selling points. This comes straight
>> from the vole.
>>
>> "Windows users can be dumber."
>
> Well, DumbFullShit is showing this statement to have some merit. Every post
> he makes is showing that even abject stupid people (like him) manage to
> torment his mouse while furiously searching the menus.

What's wrong, Dumbkopf - doesn't your Linux work pay 50% more than your
Windows work? If not, you better inform 7 and Homer - Microsoft
corruption is the cause I'm sure.

And it's 'abjectly'. I guess 35+ years of learning and speaking English
isn't enough...

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 7, 2012, 11:50:25 AM2/7/12
DFS wrote:

> On 2/7/2012 10:44 AM, Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> The idea that you don't need competent or talented people to run
>>> and
>>> maintain WinDOS is one of it's key selling points. This comes straight
>>> from the vole.
>>>
>>> "Windows users can be dumber."
>>
>> Well, DumbFullShit is showing this statement to have some merit. Every
>> post he makes is showing that even abject stupid people (like him) manage
>> to torment his mouse while furiously searching the menus.
>

> What's wrong, Dumbkopf - doesn't your Linux work pay 50% more than your
> Windows work?

It isn't linux workd. Or windows work.
It is *programming*
Something you have never heard of. And my programs are portable, I currently
compile them for windows, OSX and linux

And yes, I *write* them on linux. All of them, only comilation is done on
the native platform

Again something you don't have the tiniest of clues about

> If not, you better inform 7 and Homer - Microsoft
> corruption is the cause I'm sure.
>
> And it's 'abjectly'. I guess 35+ years of learning and speaking English
> isn't enough...

Well, DumbFullSnit, Do you also speak german? Do you speak french?
I do, and german is my first *foreign* language.

So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?

chrisv

Feb 7, 2012, 12:41:19 PM2/7/12
Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>DFS wrote:
>>
>> And it's 'abjectly'. I guess 35+ years of learning and speaking English
>> isn't enough...
>
>Well, DumbFullSnit, Do you also speak german? Do you speak french?
>I do, and german is my first *foreign* language.
>
>So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?

"DFS" is one of the "sane" posters, in here.

According to "GreyCloud", anyway.

GreyCloud

Feb 7, 2012, 1:07:46 PM2/7/12
Guffaw!!! You think ***YOU'RE*** sane?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA!!!!!

See a shrink.

Homer

Feb 7, 2012, 5:26:52 PM2/7/12
Verily I say unto thee that DooFuS spoke thusly:
> On 2/6/2012 1:40 PM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>> On 2012-02-04, DFS<nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>>> On 2/4/2012 9:00 AM, sidejob scooter wrote:
[...]
>>> heh! Another "Linux advocate" that makes a living with Windows.
>>
>> ...it's almost like Microsoft has been declared a monpoly by the
>> courts or somesuch.
>>
>> [deletia]
>
> It's almost like the "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs"
> blabbed by 7 and Homer don't actually exist.

Deductive reasoning isn't your strong suit, is it DooFy?

Linux jobs paying more than Windows jobs, does not contradict
Microsoft having a monopoly.

Do you think the most expensive products monopolise the market?

Idiot.

As for the 50% figure, you keep lying about that being my claim. I never
made that claim at all, and neither did "7" for that matter. In fact the
claim wasn't even "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs" at
all, it was "The Value of Linux Job Skills Rises 50%", posted by Goblin,
not "7" or I, and even he was only quoting research conducted by Foote
Partners LLC.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/eadb769c59afc342?hl=en

[quote]
VALUE INCREASES: Noncertified IT Skills
3-Month Pay Trends (through 4/1/2009)
(Individual Noncertified Skills Value Growth)

(surveyed through 4/1/2009) 3 mos. 6 mos. ANNUAL
RISING SKILLS PAY: % chg % chg % chg
Noncertified Skills
Linux 28.6% 28.6% 50.0%
[/quote]

http://www.footepartners.com/FooteNewsRelease_July2009ITlabortrends_072609V2.pdf
[Page 10]

Maybe you ought to have read the paper, before shooting your fat mouth
off and accusing people of "lying", for merely quoting somebody else's
research, then lying yourself about what was claimed and who claimed it.

But please feel free to contact Foote Partners LLC., and accuse them of
"lying" too, if it makes you feel any better.

Poor DooFy. If you weren't such utter scum, I might actually feel sorry
for you.

--
K. | "You see? You cannot kill me. There is no flesh
http://slated.org | and blood within this cloak to kill. There is
Fedora 8 (Werewolf) on šky | only an idea. And ideas are bulletproof."
kernel 2.6.31.5, up 9 days | ~ V for Vendetta.

DFS

Feb 7, 2012, 6:20:01 PM2/7/12
On 2/7/2012 5:26 PM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee that DooFuS spoke thusly:
> [...]
>>>
>>> ...it's almost like Microsoft has been declared a monpoly by the
>>> courts or somesuch.
>>>
>>> [deletia]
>>
>> It's almost like the "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs"
>> blabbed by 7 and Homer don't actually exist.
>
> Deductive reasoning isn't your strong suit, is it DooFy?

My reasoning went like this: sidejob said he's forced to use Win XP and
7. If he could make 50% more in a Linux job, why wouldn't he?

Oh, that's because Linux jobs don't pay 50% more than Windows jobs, and
overall Linux jobs pay didn't rise 50% in a year.

> Linux jobs paying more than Windows jobs, does not contradict
> Microsoft having a monopoly.

Whoever said it did?

> Do you think the most expensive products monopolise the market?
>
> Idiot.

Hypocrite.

> As for the 50% figure, you keep lying about that being my claim. I never
> made that claim at all, and neither did "7" for that matter. In fact the
> claim wasn't even "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs" at
> all, it was "The Value of Linux Job Skills Rises 50%", posted by Goblin,
> not "7" or I, and even he was only quoting research conducted by Foote
> Partners LLC.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/eadb769c59afc342?hl=en
>
> [quote]
> VALUE INCREASES: Noncertified IT Skills
> 3-Month Pay Trends (through 4/1/2009)
> (Individual Noncertified Skills Value Growth)
>
> (surveyed through 4/1/2009) 3 mos. 6 mos. ANNUAL
> RISING SKILLS PAY: % chg % chg % chg
> Noncertified Skills
> Linux 28.6% 28.6% 50.0%
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.footepartners.com/FooteNewsRelease_July2009ITlabortrends_072609V2.pdf
> [Page 10]

It's pure horseshit.

Figure 4 says Windows Vista/XP pay fell 37.5% in the same period. That
means the Linux to Windows pay ratio isn't 1.5 to 1 as I believed.
According to Foote it's really closer to 2.4x.

Starting with equal pay:
Linux up 50% to 1.50
Windows down 37.5% to 0.625
1.50 / 0.625 = 2.4

LMAO!!! As if.

Figure 4 also says C++ job pay fell 25% in a year. Ridiculous.

Figure 5 says Perl job pay fell 29% in a year. Absurd.

Figure 8 says CompTIA+ cert jobs paid two-thirds more than a year ago.
Bullshit of the highest order.

> Maybe you ought to have read the paper, before shooting your fat mouth
> off and accusing people of "lying", for merely quoting somebody else's
> research, then lying yourself about what was claimed and who claimed it.

If you quote it, you believe it. If you believe such stupidity, you're
stupid or you're lying. I think you're not stupid, so you're lying.

Or maybe you really are so gullible as to believe it.

> But please feel free to contact Foote Partners LLC., and accuse them of
> "lying" too, if it makes you feel any better.

I read the link provided by Gooblin, right after you idiots quoted it.

The link he provided didn't give any support. This "raw data" is laughable.

> Poor DooFy. If you weren't such utter scum, I might actually feel sorry
> for you.

You'd best feel sorry for all your acquaintances who have Windows jobs -
their pay is falling steeply according to Foote (In Ass) Partners.

Foster

Feb 7, 2012, 6:56:06 PM2/7/12
On 7 Feb 2012 05:59:03 GMT, Gregory Shearman wrote:

> Never saw the post, chrisv. Filtered out using my trollscreen. I'm
> fairly sure that it's one of the usual suspects.

Yet you just can't stop yourself from commenting on it.

A Sinister Midget

Feb 7, 2012, 4:21:17 PM2/7/12
On 2012-02-07, Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> claimed:

> So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?

Don't forget 'inbred.' It's one of Georgia's native dialects.

--
I drink to make other people interesting.
Acer Aspire One, Lubuntu 11.10
Friends don't let friends use Windows

Foster

Feb 7, 2012, 7:27:41 PM2/7/12
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:50:25 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> DFS wrote:

>> What's wrong, Dumbkopf - doesn't your Linux work pay 50% more than your
>> Windows work?
>
> It isn't linux workd. Or windows work.
> It is *programming*

Another Kohlmann cockup!!!!

The hits just keep on coming!!

Add this to the list, Clogwog!

DFS

Feb 7, 2012, 7:51:37 PM2/7/12
On 2/7/2012 4:21 PM, A Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2012-02-07, Peter Köhlmann<peter-k...@t-online.de> claimed:
>
>> So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?
>
> Don't forget 'inbred.' It's one of Georgia's native dialects.

huh?

You're an electronics repair technician for a backwoods po-leese dept,
Gidget: "A high school diploma or GED is required."

Better get to studying...

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 8, 2012, 6:34:42 AM2/8/12
Peter Köhlmann wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> DFS wrote:
>
>> <grunt and pidgin snipped>
>
> So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?

Ah, you're falling into the trap. Now you'll be accuse of "bragging" or
"showing off"... forever and ever.

Heh, this troll thinks COLA is "polite English conversation", and that
quotes lessen the damage.

--
I realise you're not very good with language, after all you think its
fine to use "cunt" in polite English conversation, but "our screen" is a

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 8, 2012, 6:36:32 AM2/8/12
A Sinister Midget wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2012-02-07, Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> claimed:
>
>> So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?
>
> Don't forget 'inbred.' It's one of Georgia's native dialects.

He's the "Fsckhead from Bsckhead".

(Note: I don't actually know where the crazy troll hails from, but I
like the alliteration.)

--
Way to twist it Liarnut. God you're a dishonest POS. No ask Liarnut what
his closed source commercial SW company offers back. I will tell you.

chrisv

Feb 8, 2012, 8:24:24 AM2/8/12
A Sinister Midget wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> claimed:
>
>> So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and pidgin?
>
>Don't forget 'inbred.' It's one of Georgia's native dialects.

Hey, it's not easy (although "Hadron" makes it appear so) to spew
nothing but lies.

--
'What amazes me is the "zealots" continually harp on about the "number
of apps". The fact that more than half are incomplete, forgotten,

JEDIDIAH

Feb 8, 2012, 11:12:53 AM2/8/12
On 2012-02-07, Homer <use...@slated.org> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee that DooFuS spoke thusly:
> [...]
>>>
>>> ...it's almost like Microsoft has been declared a monpoly by the
>>> courts or somesuch.
>>>
>>> [deletia]
>>
>> It's almost like the "Linux jobs that pay 50% more than Windows jobs"
>> blabbed by 7 and Homer don't actually exist.
>
> Deductive reasoning isn't your strong suit, is it DooFy?
>
> Linux jobs paying more than Windows jobs, does not contradict
> Microsoft having a monopoly.

Desktop versus server room.

Unix has always had a place in the server room. Microsoft tried to
push out Unix based on price competition both in server hardware and the
cost of sysadmins. Linux kind of obliterated that potential advantage
though.

Microsoft also tries to leverage it's dominance in desktops.

[deletia]

--
Apple: Because if it's not Quicktime, then it's pirated. |||
/ | \

Bjørn Steensrud

Feb 8, 2012, 11:38:34 AM2/8/12
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 16:44:08 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>> Conversely, there is an expectation (for good or bad) that people
>> that
>> use and work with Unix need to have something resembling a clue.
>>

> Well, they need to. They are the ones who are called to the rescue when
> the totally clobbered "windows-servers" stop serving the little bit they
> do

BTDT.
And rescued a mistreated Red Hat server that they had no idea about -
just that a service had stopped working because nobody ever read and
deleted the local root user's e-mail ... duh.

Homer

Feb 9, 2012, 3:20:33 AM2/9/12
Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> A Sinister Midget wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>> On 2012-02-07, Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> claimed:
>>>
>>> So I speak *four* languages. How many will do for you? Grunt and
>>> pidgin?
>>
>> Don't forget 'inbred.' It's one of Georgia's native dialects.
>
> He's the "Fsckhead from Bsckhead".
>
> (Note: I don't actually know where the crazy troll hails from, but I
> like the alliteration.)

DooFuS? Lawrenceville, Georgia, according to the tax form he keeps
bragging about.

Its nicknames include Crap City, Liarsville and Lowdown, apparently.

It's also famous for its chicken-fuckers and inbreeding, and it's a
major exporter of bigotry, accounting for nearly 60% of global
production.

They have an annual contest to see who looks the least like a pig, with
a parade and floats made from old tractors. It's also a great social
event, where people get to swap stories, and wives, and cousins, and
pigs, whilst shooting beer cans and tipping cows, and vice versa.

DFS

Feb 12, 2012, 7:06:20 PM2/12/12
On 2/9/2012 3:20 AM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
>> A Sinister Midget wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>> On 2012-02-07, Peter Köhlmann<peter-k...@t-online.de> claimed:

>>> Don't forget 'inbred.' It's one of Georgia's native dialects.
>>
>> He's the "Fsckhead from Bsckhead".
>>
>> (Note: I don't actually know where the crazy troll hails from, but I
>> like the alliteration.)
>
> DooFuS? Lawrenceville, Georgia, according to the tax form he keeps
> bragging about.

Those big bucks must've really hurt your money-grubbing Gaylick pride,
Hypocrite.

You should get a clue: VB, MS Access, Oracle, SQL Server

> Its nicknames include Crap City, Liarsville and Lowdown, apparently.

I'll go with Crap City, definitely.

> It's also famous for its chicken-fuckers and inbreeding, and it's a
> major exporter of bigotry, accounting for nearly 60% of global
> production.

Lawrenceville GA hate crimes 2009: 0

We got us a peaceful little community down heah.

> They have an annual contest to see who looks the least like a pig, with
> a parade and floats made from old tractors. It's also a great social
> event, where people get to swap stories, and wives, and cousins, and
> pigs, whilst shooting beer cans and tipping cows, and vice versa.

The People of Scotland:

"Are all scottish men ugly or is it just most of them?"

"Big Bearded & Chunky (the men too)."

"The London mayor said a Scots-free Tube would be less intimidating for
ordinary travellers, and would not smell so badly of chips, blood, spilt
lager and urine."

"...looking as if they have escaped from Darwins waiting room."

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 4:34:58 PM2/13/12
On 2/6/2012 10:38 AM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
> On 2012-02-03, Big Steel<St...@SteelSteel.com> wrote:
>> On 2/3/2012 6:21 PM, John Slade wrote:
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>>

>> Herd mentality,
>
> Microsoft will try to do the right thing and then screw it up horribly.
> This can be their attempt at "security" (like UAC) or "ease of use" like
> ribbon. They seem entirely unable to make things as simple as they can be
> (like Apple does sometimes).
>
> Microsoft is everywhere and forced down everyone's throats. OEMs have
> a hard time getting away with it. If something has 90%+ of the market and
> have had that kind of dominance for decades, chances that it's not because
> people actually like it. People are far too fickle and chaotic.
>
> Back to point #1. When Microsoft finally got around to acknowledging
> the improvements in UIs from the 80s (in the mid 90s) they managed to
> botch things up by bluring the line between programs and data and spawned
> entirely new forms of malware. The sandbagging also was not restrited to
> the GUI. They also took 10 years too long to take advantage of modern CPU
> features.
>
> XP was what Win95 was promised to be.

Windows 95 was great at the time. I was using Macs and
Amigas before Windows 95 came out. It was way ahead of both
platforms.

John

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 4:36:41 PM2/13/12
On 2/3/2012 3:38 PM, Mark S Bilk wrote:
> On Feb 3, 3:21 pm, John Slade<hhitma...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> ... I now
>> use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
>> them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
>> other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>
> I don't hate Windows. (I try not to *hate* anything -- it's
> a big waste of energy). I just don't have any use for it,
> and its facilities are greatly inferior to those of Linux
> with KDE3 (20 desktops, soft links, superb script
> language, total user control of the computer not
> corporate control, etc.).

Exactly what "corporate control" are you talking about? I've
used Windows since version 3.1.

John

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 4:46:17 PM2/13/12
On 2/3/2012 5:34 PM, RonB wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:21:21 -0800, John Slade wrote:
>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>
> I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
> can break down at the smallest provocation,

This is not really a valid argument. I've used Linux
versions that stopped working because one little file went
corrupt. HDs have errors and every OS suffers from corrupt
files. I've had an easier time fixing Windows corrupted files
than I did Linux corrupted files.

> 2) the time wasted installing
> and maintaining anti-virus and anti-malware applications,

Not really a valid argument. I take security precautions
no matter what system I'm using. Takes very little time to
install malware protection in Windows and updates are done
automatically so no time lost.

>3) the super-
> slow updating process,

I agree that updating is a pain but when I update my
various software packages under Linux, it takes time too.

> 4) the lack of security even when you do maintain
> anti-malware and anti-virus applications and,

This is complete bullshit. Every OS has security holes
that can be exploited no matter what malware protection there
is. Linux has some gaping security holes in it that go unpatched
for long periods of time.

> 5) I despise Microsoft's
> misuse of their monopoly
<whacko conspiracy drivel snippage>

Microsoft has not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly.
They never had 100% of any market.

I see now that some reasons people hate Windows is based in
conspiracy theories about Microsoft.

John

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 4:52:36 PM2/13/12
On 2/3/2012 6:02 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
>> years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I
>> also got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95
>> and it was truly innovative back then. Then I started using
>> Linux along with Windows and that's what I've been using. I now
>> use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux distribution. All of
>> them have their uses and using one doesn't make me hate the
>> other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>
> Oh cut the bullshit.

What bullshit?

> There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
> jerks.

I don't know if that's true or not. I just wanted to know
the reasons why so many Linux users hate Windows and the people
who use it.

> Like this one:

I use Linux, Windows and other OSes.

John

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 4:53:58 PM2/13/12
On 2/3/2012 9:31 PM, Gregory Shearman wrote:
> On 2012-02-04, Chris Ahlstrom<ahls...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
> <troll stuff deleted>
>

>> Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
>> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
>> jerks.
>>

> "John Slade" is already killfiled here. I didn't see the article. I
> suggest it is a sock of one of our well-known trolls.

Nope. Not a sock puppet. Just don't post here much. I don't
need to hide. If you killfile me, I won't make any attempt to
get around it because I really don't care.

John

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 13, 2012, 4:59:14 PM2/13/12
John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2/3/2012 5:34 PM, RonB wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:21:21 -0800, John Slade wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>
>> I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
>> can break down at the smallest provocation,
>
> This is not really a valid argument. I've used Linux
> versions that stopped working because one little file went
> corrupt. HDs have errors and every OS suffers from corrupt
> files. I've had an easier time fixing Windows corrupted files
> than I did Linux corrupted files.

Bullshit.

>> 2) the time wasted installing
>> and maintaining anti-virus and anti-malware applications,
>
> Not really a valid argument. I take security precautions
> no matter what system I'm using. Takes very little time to
> install malware protection in Windows and updates are done
> automatically so no time lost.

Bullshit.

AV trickles your time away in small amounts throughout the day, every
day. It's like mild incontinence.

> >3) the super-
>> slow updating process,
>
> I agree that updating is a pain but when I update my
> various software packages under Linux, it takes time too.

Much less time than Windows, for a much larger number of pieces of
software. And your machine is usable while they take place.

>> 4) the lack of security even when you do maintain
>> anti-malware and anti-virus applications and,
>
> This is complete bullshit. Every OS has security holes
> that can be exploited no matter what malware protection there
> is. Linux has some gaping security holes in it that go unpatched
> for long periods of time.

Yeah, but Windows and all the apps that run on it have more.

>> 5) I despise Microsoft's
>> misuse of their monopoly
> <whacko conspiracy drivel snippage>
>
> Microsoft has not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly.
> They never had 100% of any market.
>
> I see now that some reasons people hate Windows is based in
> conspiracy theories about Microsoft.

Oh dear! Another "holocaust" denier.

--
Much Qualig and Quark posting! Read these two birds-of-a-feather at
Joined at the hip? Maybe!

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 13, 2012, 4:59:47 PM2/13/12
So do I? Linux rocks.

--
Homer has proven time and time again that he is anti choice.
-- "Hadron" <iin5pj$8gq$1...@news.eternal-september.org>

Chris Ahlstrom

Feb 13, 2012, 5:01:05 PM2/13/12
So do I. Linux rocks.

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 4:59:37 PM2/13/12
On 2/4/2012 6:00 AM, sidejob scooter wrote:

>> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty
>>> years. I started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also
>>> got a Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was
>>> truly innovative back then. Then I started using Linux along with
>>> Windows and that's what I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP
>>> along with a Linux distribution. All of them have their uses and using
>>> one doesn't make me hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me
>>> why some Linux folk seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>

> I'm forced to use XP and Seven at work. Mostly, I just feel sorry for
> anyone that has to use Windows or doesn't know of Linux.

Why? Please elaborate.

John

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 13, 2012, 5:06:44 PM2/13/12
John Slade wrote:

> On 2/3/2012 5:34 PM, RonB wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:21:21 -0800, John Slade wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>
>> I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
>> can break down at the smallest provocation,
>
> This is not really a valid argument. I've used Linux
> versions that stopped working because one little file went
> corrupt. HDs have errors and every OS suffers from corrupt
> files. I've had an easier time fixing Windows corrupted files
> than I did Linux corrupted files.

Good thing that you where able to provide some detail.

Because, frankly, I think you are trying a little FUD here
With "one corrupted file" you will not stop linux booting.
It simply will not bring up all of the machine
Have you *ever* looked into the linux init process? It sure does not look
like

>> 2) the time wasted installing
>> and maintaining anti-virus and anti-malware applications,
>
> Not really a valid argument. I take security precautions
> no matter what system I'm using. Takes very little time to
> install malware protection in Windows and updates are done
> automatically so no time lost.

Time is lost *all* the time with AV software. The machine takes longer
booting and it is slower

> >3) the super-
>> slow updating process,
>
> I agree that updating is a pain but when I update my
> various software packages under Linux, it takes time too.

Very little compared to the extremely long times windows updates need

>> 4) the lack of security even when you do maintain
>> anti-malware and anti-virus applications and,
>
> This is complete bullshit.

No. Windows is insecure even *with* AV software installed
Linux is more secure without any anti-malwarwe software than windows is with
the newest version of it

> Every OS has security holes
> that can be exploited no matter what malware protection there
> is.

Right. It simply depends on how easily those holes are exploitable

> Linux has some gaping security holes in it that go unpatched
> for long periods of time.

And now you will provide us with a list, right?
And, naturally, with the list of malware which exploited those "unpatched
holes"

>> 5) I despise Microsoft's
>> misuse of their monopoly
> <whacko conspiracy drivel snippage>
>
> Microsoft has not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly.
> They never had 100% of any market.

And 100% has *never* been the definition of a "monopoly".

> I see now that some reasons people hate Windows is based in
> conspiracy theories about Microsoft.

I see now that being a MS shill needs very little. In brains, that is. It
needs no valid "arguments" at all

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 5:08:37 PM2/13/12
On 2/3/2012 6:17 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
> "John Slade"<hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I
>> started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows
>> 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>

> Your subject line says it all - "... SOME Linux Users..."
>
> If you were to map where such a fringe group congregates then a place like
> COLA would be one of those places to meet and gripe.

I'm actually a Linux advocate and wish it was more popular.
It would force Microsoft and Apple to put out better products.

> Look away from the fringe and more towards the "center" of Linux users
> (think Linux World, kernel developers, etc) they aren't angry radicals that
> you'll find towards the far end of the curve like COLA.

Thank you for being one of the few RATIONAL posts in this
thread.

I think the Linux developers need to move Linux into
directions that would make it popular. I have a feeling the
gaming industry is the way to go. Put out some killer games for
Linux then have some computer makers sell the Linux boxes. The
only real way to make Linux more popular is to put out a
must-have game or application that only runs on Linux and have a
very good marketing campaign.

John

Foster

Feb 13, 2012, 5:11:49 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
>>> can break down at the smallest provocation,
>>
>> This is not really a valid argument. I've used Linux
>> versions that stopped working because one little file went
>> corrupt. HDs have errors and every OS suffers from corrupt
>> files. I've had an easier time fixing Windows corrupted files
>> than I did Linux corrupted files.
>
> Bullshit.

And you know his particular experience how?

See how you follow the herd line of thinking?
Or lack there of.

There are many commercial tools available for Windows to fix stuff
like that.
Some work better than others and some require nothing more than
pointing and clicking.

Linux?

You're on your own....

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 13, 2012, 5:11:18 PM2/13/12
I think he means that there is no company deciding what direction the
software is taking, without any influence of the users

What is the case with windows. MS simply follows what it feels is best for
*them* and not for the users
Apple is even worse in that regard

> I've used Windows since version 3.1.

Which means diddly squat. I have used it (besides other OS) since
Windows2/386 (which was the version before 3.0)

Foster

Feb 13, 2012, 5:12:38 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:01:05 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> So do I. Linux is like rocks.

Corrected your mistake.

RonB

Feb 13, 2012, 5:12:49 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> I agree that updating is a pain but when I update my
>> various software packages under Linux, it takes time too.
>
> Much less time than Windows, for a much larger number of pieces of
> software. And your machine is usable while they take place.

Where it takes Linux about 5 minutes, it takes Windows about 45 minutes
(on a good day). And, as you mention, your Windows machine is basically
useless while update process thrashes your hard drive. The Linux machine
hardly notices it.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
CentOS 5.7 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0
or Linux Mint 10

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 5:13:50 PM2/13/12
On 2/4/2012 3:43 PM, Homer wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee that John "flatty" Slade spake thusly:
>>
>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years.
>
> Yes we know, flatty, and for the last twenty of those thirty years
> you've been posting shite on COLA, making the same insults, asking
> the same questions and getting the same answers, over and over and
> (for instance) over again.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I've only
posted in here rarely. I don't think I ever asked this question.

John

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 13, 2012, 5:14:37 PM2/13/12
It was an abomination. I used OS/2 Version2 at that time, and it was *way*
ahead of anything MS would come up the next years

> I was using Macs and
> Amigas before Windows 95 came out. It was way ahead of both
> platforms.

In what? Macs, thats easy. Because they where crappy as hell then.
Amiga is a totally different arena. Win95 was no good at all in the things
Amigas did well

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 5:16:21 PM2/13/12
On 2/6/2012 9:59 PM, Gregory Shearman wrote:
> On 2012-02-06, chrisv<chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> John Slade wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>
>> Is this a forgery? I know that John "mono means one" Slade is a
>> moron, but this is out of line, even for him.
>>
>> I'm really wondering if the "GreyCloud" nym isn't just a Flatfish sock
>> as well.
>
> Never saw the post, chrisv. Filtered out using my trollscreen. I'm
> fairly sure that it's one of the usual suspects.

A lot of people have chrisv killfiled including me on my
other system.

John

Foster

Feb 13, 2012, 5:16:51 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:08:37 -0800, John Slade wrote:

> I think the Linux developers need to move Linux into
> directions that would make it popular. I have a feeling the
> gaming industry is the way to go. Put out some killer games for
> Linux then have some computer makers sell the Linux boxes. The
> only real way to make Linux more popular is to put out a
> must-have game or application that only runs on Linux and have a
> very good marketing campaign.
>
> John
Been tried already.
See Loki for details.

Linux users are extremely cheap and have this narcissistic trait
where they think they are entitled to everything for free.

Game developers like to pay their bills and reached the conclusion,
correct BTW, that trying to sell games to Linux users is pretty much
impossible.

John Slade

Feb 13, 2012, 5:17:57 PM2/13/12
On 2/6/2012 9:59 PM, Gregory Shearman wrote:
> On 2012-02-06, chrisv<chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> John Slade wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>
>> Is this a forgery? I know that John "mono means one" Slade is a
>> moron, but this is out of line, even for him.
>>
>> I'm really wondering if the "GreyCloud" nym isn't just a Flatfish sock
>> as well.
>
> Never saw the post, chrisv. Filtered out using my trollscreen. I'm
> fairly sure that it's one of the usual suspects.

When people keep announcing they never saw the OP, it
usually means they did. Why keep posting in this thread if my
opinions don't matter?

John

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 13, 2012, 5:19:16 PM2/13/12
John Slade wrote:

> On 2/4/2012 3:43 PM, Homer wrote:
>> Verily I say unto thee that John "flatty" Slade spake thusly:
>>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years.
>>
>> Yes we know, flatty, and for the last twenty of those thirty years
>> you've been posting shite on COLA, making the same insults, asking
>> the same questions and getting the same answers, over and over and
>> (for instance) over again.
>
> I think you have me confused with someone else.

No, he hasn't
Flatfish gary Stewart *often* mode the same claims.
And they were bullshit just as yours are

> I've only
> posted in here rarely. I don't think I ever asked this question.

Because it is so extremely idiotic?

Do you actually believe that anyone is buying your "running a linux distro"
claim? Especially in the light of your claim that "Win95 was truly
innovative".

Win95 was utter crap.

Peter Köhlmann

Feb 13, 2012, 5:20:09 PM2/13/12
John Slade wrote:

> On 2/3/2012 6:17 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
>> "John Slade"<hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I
>>> started off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a
>>> Windows 3.11 and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly
>>> innovative back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and
>>> that's what I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a
>>> Linux distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't
>>> make me hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some
>>> Linux folk seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>>

>> Your subject line says it all - "... SOME Linux Users..."
>>
>> If you were to map where such a fringe group congregates then a place
>> like COLA would be one of those places to meet and gripe.
>>

> I'm actually a Linux advocate and wish it was more popular.

Oh yes. *that* truly shows (rolls eyes)

Torre Starnes

Feb 13, 2012, 5:22:25 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:14:37 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> John Slade wrote:

>> Windows 95 was great at the time.
>
> It was an abomination. I used OS/2 Version2 at that time, and it was *way*
> ahead of anything MS would come up the next years

With the exception of hardware support, the DDK which Microsoft
offered to developers for free and even helped them write drivers
and IBM tried to sell to those same people and of course
applications....

So even though OS/2 was technically, on paper, a superior system, it
failed because the public wants applications and hardware support.

Sounds a lot like desktop Linux now doesn't it...
Sure does, with the exception of the DDK of course/

RonB

Feb 13, 2012, 5:24:50 PM2/13/12
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 23:06:44 +0100, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

>> This is not really a valid argument. I've used Linux
>> versions that stopped working because one little file went corrupt. HDs
>> have errors and every OS suffers from corrupt files. I've had an easier
>> time fixing Windows corrupted files than I did Linux corrupted files.
>
> Good thing that you where able to provide some detail.

Only detail you need is this. Do a Google search for Windows BSOD and
you'll get 13,600,000 hits. Do a Google search for Windows black screen of
death and you'll get 2,660,000 hits. Almost every time I've had to fix a
Windows computer with one of these conditions it was due to Registry
corruption. And almost every "fix" was to reinstall. It was a considered a
good day when you were able to save personal data. And there are a lot of
Registry corruption problems that don't result in a blue or black screens
of death. That's why, when you do a Google search for windows registry
cleaner (for example), you'll get 29,100,000 hits.

So yeah, the use of the Registry is a very *good* reason to hate Windows.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 13, 2012, 5:29:35 PM2/13/12
On 2012-02-13, John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 5:34 PM, RonB wrote:
>> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:21:21 -0800, John Slade wrote:
>>
>>> I have been using computers in my home for about thirty years. I started
>>> off with a Commodore 64 and then Amiga. Then I also got a Windows 3.11
>>> and DOS system. I moved on to Windows 95 and it was truly innovative
>>> back then. Then I started using Linux along with Windows and that's what
>>> I've been using. I now use Windows 7 and XP along with a Linux
>>> distribution. All of them have their uses and using one doesn't make me
>>> hate the other. Can someone please, PLEASE tell me why some Linux folk
>>> seem to hate Windows and anyone who uses it?
>>
>> I don't like Windows because 1) The fragile and retarded Registry, which
>> can break down at the smallest provocation,
>
> This is not really a valid argument. I've used Linux
> versions that stopped working because one little file went

Sure it is. You don't even provide a remotely compelling counterargument.
The problem with the registry is that it put everythint into one big file without
properly considering the engineering problems of such an approach.

So instead of only having to worry about some tiny little file, you have to
worry about anything going on with this much bigger thing. The fact that it was
more complex and less transparent didn't help.

It was an incompetently engineered database and corruption was a real problem
until an external means of providing robust reliable storage came alon.

> corrupt. HDs have errors and every OS suffers from corrupt
> files. I've had an easier time fixing Windows corrupted files
> than I did Linux corrupted files.

Bullshit. Everything in Linux is human readable and documented. It's usually
even shared in common with Unix at large so there is an even better pool of
documentation and expertise to draw from. Furthermore, there are better tools
available for recovery since everything is freely redistributable and anyone can
improve the state of things.

You can even take advantage of this to help repair Windows.

>> 2) the time wasted installing
>> and maintaining anti-virus and anti-malware applications,
>
> Not really a valid argument. I take security precautions

Sure it is. It's an extra step that's not needed on systems
that aren't as incompetently engineered.

[deletia]
>> 4) the lack of security even when you do maintain
>> anti-malware and anti-virus applications and,
>
> This is complete bullshit. Every OS has security holes

None are as bad as Windows or as trivial to exploit or as
dangerous to exploit.

The facts simply aren't on your side here.

The best you can do is compare some bug reports to the entire
Internet being brought to it's knees on numerous occasions.

[deletia]

> Microsoft has not now, nor has it ever been a monopoly.
> They never had 100% of any market.

That is an infantile argument that ignores the facts.

--
"Microsoft looks at new ideas, they don't evaluate whether
the idea will move the industry forward, they ask, |||

-- Bill Gates

GreyCloud

Feb 13, 2012, 5:41:11 PM2/13/12
Looks like a few more newsgroups bit the dust. John used to be in csma,
but that newsgroup has slowed down a lot. We'll see more people show up
in here as time goes by. The herd won't like it much.

--
What's the definition of a will? (It's a dead giveaway).

GreyCloud

Feb 13, 2012, 5:43:15 PM2/13/12
Gregory Shearman wrote:
> On 2012-02-04, Chris Ahlstrom <ahls...@xzoozy.com> wrote:
>> John Slade wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
> <troll stuff deleted>
>
>> Oh cut the bullshit. There are overzealous folks in every crowd, and
>> the Microsoft Crowd® has far more than their fair share of overzealous
>> jerks.
>>

> "John Slade" is already killfiled here. I didn't see the article. I
> suggest it is a sock of one of our well-known trolls.

Nope... just usenet slowly dying. John is one of those mom n' pop PC
shops that cobble together PCs. Ask him nicely to build you one to your
specs without windows on it. I'm sure he'd be glad to do it.

GreyCloud

Feb 13, 2012, 5:46:33 PM2/13/12
Yes, everyone knows that. John isn't flatty tho. That much I can
guarantee. He cobbles together PCs as a living. He used to post over
in csma, but that newsgroup is just about dead.

Foster

Feb 13, 2012, 5:47:43 PM2/13/12
John has been around for a while.

Of course the herd thinks it's flatfish, just like they think you
are flatfish and philo is flatfish.

What a joke.
These people are clue less.

GreyCloud

Feb 13, 2012, 5:49:19 PM2/13/12
And I wonder why? :-))

These guys don't even know how to read a header.
Say one wrong thing and the herd starts to stampede and start calling
you names and their most favorite is Wintroll.
Chrisv has no facts, just swears a lot. He doesn't use Linux at home,
and works for a company that is a MS house and posts from there wasting
his companys time.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 13, 2012, 5:34:28 PM2/13/12
On 2012-02-13, John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On 2/3/2012 6:17 PM, Ezekiel wrote:
>> "John Slade"<hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
[deletia]
>> Look away from the fringe and more towards the "center" of Linux users
>> (think Linux World, kernel developers, etc) they aren't angry radicals that
>> you'll find towards the far end of the curve like COLA.
>>

> Thank you for being one of the few RATIONAL posts in this
> thread.

...you had me up until this point.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 13, 2012, 5:38:31 PM2/13/12
On 2012-02-13, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>>> I agree that updating is a pain but when I update my
>>> various software packages under Linux, it takes time too.
>>
>> Much less time than Windows, for a much larger number of pieces of
>> software. And your machine is usable while they take place.
>
> Where it takes Linux about 5 minutes, it takes Windows about 45 minutes
> (on a good day). And, as you mention, your Windows machine is basically
> useless while update process thrashes your hard drive. The Linux machine
> hardly notices it.

Yes. On both Windows and MacOS seem incapable of making OS updates
online. So you are stuck rebooting the box and waiting for the OS to get
done playing with itself. Also, too many updates require restarts.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 13, 2012, 5:31:37 PM2/13/12
On 2012-02-13, John Slade <hhit...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On 2/6/2012 10:38 AM, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>>>>

>>> Herd mentality,
>>
>> Microsoft will try to do the right thing and then screw it up horribly.
>> This can be their attempt at "security" (like UAC) or "ease of use" like
>> ribbon. They seem entirely unable to make things as simple as they can be
>> (like Apple does sometimes).
>>
>> Microsoft is everywhere and forced down everyone's throats. OEMs have
>> a hard time getting away with it. If something has 90%+ of the market and
>> have had that kind of dominance for decades, chances that it's not because
>> people actually like it. People are far too fickle and chaotic.
>>
>> Back to point #1. When Microsoft finally got around to acknowledging
>> the improvements in UIs from the 80s (in the mid 90s) they managed to
>> botch things up by bluring the line between programs and data and spawned
>> entirely new forms of malware. The sandbagging also was not restrited to
>> the GUI. They also took 10 years too long to take advantage of modern CPU
>> features.
>>
>> XP was what Win95 was promised to be.
>>

> Windows 95 was great at the time. I was using Macs and
> Amigas before Windows 95 came out. It was way ahead of both
> platforms.

Yes. That's a great triumph to finally beat Apple and Amiga after
only about 10 years of neglect. Although whether the 1995 edition of
WinDOS was better than either MacOS or an Amiga is quite disputable.

The shock of making that transition myself is what caused me to
seek out alternatives and eventually settle on Linux.

JEDIDIAH

Feb 13, 2012, 5:33:23 PM2/13/12
On 2012-02-13, Foster <frankf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 14:08:37 -0800, John Slade wrote:
>

>> I think the Linux developers need to move Linux into
>> directions that would make it popular. I have a feeling the
>> gaming industry is the way to go. Put out some killer games for
>> Linux then have some computer makers sell the Linux boxes. The
>> only real way to make Linux more popular is to put out a
>> must-have game or application that only runs on Linux and have a
>> very good marketing campaign.
>>
>> John
> Been tried already.
> See Loki for details.

...and how long ago was that exactly?

> Linux users are extremely cheap and have this narcissistic trait
> where they think they are entitled to everything for free.

Yeah. Windows users are NOTHING like that.

[deletia]

JEDIDIAH

Feb 13, 2012, 5:36:29 PM2/13/12
On 2012-02-13, Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote:
> John Slade wrote:

>>> I don't hate Windows. (I try not to *hate* anything -- it's
>>> a big waste of energy). I just don't have any use for it,
>>> and its facilities are greatly inferior to those of Linux
>>> with KDE3 (20 desktops, soft links, superb script
>>> language, total user control of the computer not
>>> corporate control, etc.).
>>
>> Exactly what "corporate control" are you talking about?
>
> I think he means that there is no company deciding what direction the
> software is taking, without any influence of the users

Given the nonsense with GNOME and KDE, I am not sure that's really
the advantage I thought it was. They are jumping off the same cliff that
Microsoft and Apple are. Free Software seems prone to the same problems
as commercial software development.

Although people are free to fork the old stuff if they are motivated
enough. That's happened already with GNOME2.
It is loading more messages.