Catatonic Fear + Target Vitals or Disarm

Robert Dudock

Aug 31, 2009, 11:00:20 AM8/31/09
Can a Target card such as Target Vitals be used with Catatonic Fear?
Can Disarm? I was fairly certain thesee issues were answered long ago,
but I cannot find the posts on here.

Thanks,
Robba Yaga

CATATONIC FEAR
Combat
Presence
Blood Cost: 1
Card Text:

Inferior: Strike: combat ends.
Superior: As above, and inflict 1 damage to the opposing minion once
combat ends if the range is close.

Clarifications and Rulings
-The damage from Catatonic Fear is dealt by the striking vampire (so
would be reduced to zero by Memories of Mortality). [LSJ 19990723]
-The after-combat damage effect is lost if the end-combat effect is
lost (due to a Telepathic Tracking, for example). [LSJ 20001127]
-If combat continues (via Telepathic Tracking, for example), then
Catatonic Fear's damage will "linger" until combat actually ends, just
as the torporizing effect of Undead Persistence does. [RTR 20010710]

TARGET VITALS
Combat
Card Text:

Aim. Play when choosing a strike.

If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the
opposing minion, he or she takes an additional 2 damage from this
strike, and he or she cannot press this round. The opposing minion may
discard two combat cards [COMBAT] to cancel this card. A minion may
play only one aim each strike.

DISARM
Combat
Potence
Card Text:

Only usable at the end of a round of combat in which this vampire
successfully inflicted more damage at close range than the opposing
vampire; not usable by a vampire going into torpor. Put this card on
the opposing vampire and send that vampire into torpor. The vampire
with this card has -1 strength; he or she may burn this card by
burning 3 blood. A vampire can only have 1 Disarm

As above, but the vampire with this card has -2 strength.

The Lasombra

Aug 31, 2009, 11:07:37 AM8/31/09
On Aug 31, 11:00 am, Robert Dudock wrote:
> Can a Target card such as Target Vitals be used with Catatonic Fear?

Yes.

LSJ February 25, 2008
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/09d081bcd90e231b

> Can Disarm?

No.

LSJ July 23, 2001
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/93b62e231a47eef0

LSJ

Aug 31, 2009, 11:07:49 AM8/31/09
Robert Dudock wrote:
> Can a Target card such as Target Vitals be used with Catatonic Fear?

Yes.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/91e0585bd6855280

Google: "vitals catatonic author:LSJ group:rec.*.jyhad" (search all groups)

> Can Disarm? I was fairly certain thesee issues were answered long ago,
> but I cannot find the posts on here.

No.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/93b62e231a47eef0
Google: "disarm catatonic author:LSJ group:rec.*.jyhad" (search all groups)

Robert Dudock

Aug 31, 2009, 11:16:36 AM8/31/09
On Aug 31, 11:07 am, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Robert Dudock wrote:
> > Can a Target card such as Target Vitals be used with Catatonic Fear?
>
> Yes.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/91e0...

> Google: "vitals catatonic author:LSJ group:rec.*.jyhad" (search all groups)
>
> > Can Disarm? I was fairly certain thesee issues were answered long ago,
> > but I cannot find the posts on here.
>
> No.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/93b6...
> > As above, but the vampire with this card has -2 strength.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the quick response. Here is another scenerio:

Vampire A hits Vampire B for more damage (at close range) in the
initial strikes of combat, then Vampire A plays an additional strike
which is a Strike: Combat Ends. Can Disarm be played then by Vampire A?

The Lasombra

Aug 31, 2009, 11:20:42 AM8/31/09
On Aug 31, 11:16 am, Robert Dudock wrote:

> Vampire A hits Vampire B for more damage (at close range) in the
> initial strikes of combat, then Vampire A plays an additional strike
> which is a Strike: Combat Ends. Can Disarm be played then by Vampire A?

Yes.
See also: Enkidu + Pursuit + Form of Mist + Disarm.....

LSJ October 30, 2006
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/3207ab3787b65e7a

Robert Dudock

Aug 31, 2009, 11:26:18 AM8/31/09

Blooded Sand

Aug 31, 2009, 1:10:21 PM8/31/09

Try to first search for

Insert name of cards here author:LSJ group:rec.*.jyhad
If not found, try for something similar which lets you do sorta the
same thing.
If still stuck, ask here and get about 1-3 links on average quoted at
you :)
Hope it helps!

SPORE

Aug 31, 2009, 11:50:16 PM8/31/09

also wanted this to be on the same thread:
i couldn't find the link to this answer.
can the damage inflicted by Catatonic Fear be prevented with combat
cards? i thought the answer was that since the damage is inflicted
outside of combat, no. please correct me if i'm wrong and post a link
so this answer will also be in the same thread. thank you.

-spore

The Lasombra

Aug 31, 2009, 11:57:01 PM8/31/09
On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:50:16 -0700 (PDT), SPORE wrote:

>can the damage inflicted by Catatonic Fear be prevented with combat
>cards? i thought the answer was that since the damage is inflicted
>outside of combat, no.

No.

LSJ March 22, 1999
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ea7b149d48530dcd

---------

> I would take this to mean that the damage from CF is not taken "in" combat,
> but "after" combat.

Correct, so it cannot be prevented (except by non-combat effects like
Blood Tears).

--
L. Scott Johnson (vtes...@wizards.com)
VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.

James Coupe

Sep 1, 2009, 3:24:00 AM9/1/09
The Lasombra <TheLa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:50:16 -0700 (PDT), SPORE wrote:
>
>>can the damage inflicted by Catatonic Fear be prevented with combat
>>cards? i thought the answer was that since the damage is inflicted
>>outside of combat, no.
>
>No.
>
>LSJ March 22, 1999
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ea7b149d48530dcd
>
>---------
>
>> I would take this to mean that the damage from CF is not taken "in" combat,
>> but "after" combat.
>
>Correct, so it cannot be prevented (except by non-combat effects like
>Blood Tears).

A problematic link to post, because Blood Tears hasn't prevented damage
outside combat for quite a few years.

You can, however, prevent it with Leather Jacket (it's damage from a
strike) or Surge counters (the damage is still during the action).

--
James Coupe
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D YOU ARE IN ERROR.