Catatonic Fear and damage prevention [LSJ]

Dhar...@yahoo.com

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
A question came up in a JOL game that I'm moderating. Can the damage
from Catatonic Fear be prevented? My initial reaction was "yes" since
LSJ has stated that you can dodge the damage. Upon further reading,
I have my doubts.

From the errata page: ------------------------------------------------------
Damage Prevention cards are not restricted to strike resolution. In
particular, combat cards which prevent damage (like Skin of Rock) can be used
any time damage is taken in combat (subject to card text).

Catatonic Fear's damage is dealt just after the combat ends.

I would take this to mean that the damage from CF is not taken "in" combat,
but "after" combat.

Noal
--
"Excuse me. Are you a yuppie?"
-woman at a gas station in Detroit

LSJ

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Dhar...@yahoo.com wrote:

> A question came up in a JOL game that I'm moderating. Can the damage
> from Catatonic Fear be prevented? My initial reaction was "yes" since
> LSJ has stated that you can dodge the damage.

That was before the revised rulebook, and followed from section 8.3 of
the V:TES rulebook. [LSJ 26-MAY-1998]

Since the release of the revised rulebook, I have stated that you
could not dodge the damage (again, following the rulebook text):

[LSJ 25-SEP-1998]
http://www.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=394698883
[LSJ 07-JAN-1999]
http://www.dejanews.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=429873800

> Upon further reading,
> I have my doubts.
>
> From the errata page: ------------------------------------------------------
> Damage Prevention cards are not restricted to strike resolution. In
> particular, combat cards which prevent damage (like Skin of Rock) can be used
> any time damage is taken in combat (subject to card text).
>
> Catatonic Fear's damage is dealt just after the combat ends.
>
> I would take this to mean that the damage from CF is not taken "in" combat,
> but "after" combat.

Correct, so it cannot be prevented (except by non-combat effects like
Blood
Tears).

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the