Acanthaceae Fortnight ::Haplanthodes sp? :: Ganapatipule:: PKA-MAR29/29: :

Prashant Awale

Mar 23, 2015, 4:33:10 AM3/23/15
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Came across this Haplanthodes sp. at Jaigad fort near Ganapatipule. Could this be Haplanthodes plumosa?. Kindly validate the ID.

Botanical name:

Haplanthodes sp.

Family:

Acanthaceae

Date/Time-

29-03-2010 /11:40 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Jaigad Fort  near Ganapatipule- Ratnagiri

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Herb

Height/Length-

30 to 50 cm

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Opposite, 3 to 5 cm, Some leaves were acuminate and some were with somewhat rounded apex ,  hairy, leaf base extending down to petiole,

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Photograph enclosed

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Flowers sessile, corolla approx. 8 to 12mm, purple (Photograph enclosed)

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Not known

Regards
Prashant

IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6302.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 28, 2015, 1:58:05 AM3/28/15
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Haplanthodes species in eFIoraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6302.jpg

J.M. Garg

Mar 31, 2015, 3:25:54 AM3/31/15
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Haplanthodes species in eFIoraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)
Mar 31, 2015, 1:14:27 PM3/31/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
Does anybody have access to http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3417/2013046?

J.M. Garg

Apr 4, 2015, 2:07:59 AM4/4/15
to efloraofindia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Haplanthodes species in eFIoraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)

Does anybody have access to http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3417/2013046?- from Surajit ji.

i.e. New Names and Combinations in Indian Acanthaceae John R. I. Wood

Apr 14, 2015, 2:01:51 PM4/14/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Prashant awale
I asked if any member can access the paper http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.3417/2013046. What I come to know is that Haplanthodes tentaculatus (L.) Nees is further divided in to var. nilgherryensis and var. plumosa, besides type species.

First, I do not have literature, be it century old, on South Indian flora. I have never seen one physical species, never before even in images. The first time I saw/noticed it in Anurag Ji's thread.
Second, it appears to me that various uploads of Haplanthodes, in eFI, are very confusing.
Third, internet doesn't feature any photograph of related species other than those of Dinesh Ji, Prashant Ji and one or two of others.
Fourth, I do not even know how to differentiate H. verticillatus from H. tentaculatus.

Dinesh Ji threw some light -

Prashant Ji has both white & blue colour H. nilgherryensis.

So, it is quite impossible for me to decipher the id of this species. More so, because except the flowering spikes no detail on sepals, sizes of corolla and calyx etc are available.

If this belongs to H. tantaculatus group it is unlikely to be var. plumosa, because of the following herbarium -
Herb. of Ruellia tentaculata - http://linnean-online.org/6882/
var. nilgherrensis -

Thank you
Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Apr 14, 2015, 10:31:01 PM4/14/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Yes for both of your questions, I think Anurag Ji.

q2 = I used the term "H. tentaculatus group", for the type species as well as var. nilgherrensis and var. plumosa.

Haplanthodes is synonymous with Haplanthus and also with Berekampia in our cases.

Thank you
Regards

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:30 AM, Anurag Sharma <anurag...@gmail.com> wrote:
and also, as a continuation of 2) =Haplanthus tentaculatus group?

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Anurag Sharma <anurag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir,

I believe I may have a resolving idea to put forth but first I would like to know if:

1) Haplanthus verticillaris Nees = Haplanthodes verticillatus (Roxb.) R.B.Majumdar
2) Haplanthus neilgherryensis Wight = Haplanthodes nilgherrensis (Wight) R.B.Majumdar?
--
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year

--
Anurag N. Sharma
BSc. (CBZ) 2nd Year

Anurag Sharma

Apr 15, 2015, 3:30:11 AM4/15/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Based on Gamble and Flora of Hassan District (attached), Biodiversity in India and JCB:

CHARACTER

Haplanthus verticillaris Nees

Haplanthodes verticillatus (Roxb.) R.B.Majumdar

Haplanthus neilgherryensis Wight

Haplanthodes nilgherrensis (Wight) R.B.Majumdar

(this column can include the varieties coming under Haplanthodes tentaculatus- Haplanthus tentaculatus group)

INFLORESCENCE

?

TERMINAL

CLADODE

.75-1.25 INCH

ENDING IN 2 SPINOUS TEETH

VILLOUS AND GLANDULAR

.5 INCH

ENDING IN 2 OR MORE TEETH

VILLOUS (NOT GLANDULAR)

CAPSULE

.4 INCH

GLABROUS

.2 INCH

PUBESCENT

SEEDS

6-16

?

In the above cases, whether we:

1) consider the varieties under Haplanthodes tentaculatus (L.) Nees or,
2) think of them as coming under a Haplanthus tentaculatus group;

-the clear difference between Haplanthodes verticillatus (Roxb.) R.B.Majumdar and the other species (singular/plural) is- cladodes densely pubescent AND glandular hairy in Haplanthodes verticillatus (Roxb.) R.B.Majumdar while the other is ONLY densely pubescent.

If this is agreeable, then may be we finally have a definite idea of what is and isn't Haplanthodes verticillatus (Roxb.) R.B.Majumdar based on the cladode being glandular hairy?

Please correct me if I have gone wrong anywhere.
Flora of Hassan.jpg
Gamble 1.jpg
Gamble 2.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2015, 8:45:15 AM4/15/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Well, Anurag Ji, I missed the glandular cladode of H. verticillaris. And also fruit size was unknown to me. Attached here the FBI entries. I stressed on calyx character which was not visible in attached pictures, couldn't make out length of cladode in various threads.

Thank you very much for those differentiating characters.

Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2015, 8:46:27 AM4/15/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Sorry, here is the FBI.

Thank you
Regards

Haplanthus_Fl_Br_Ind.jpg

Anurag Sharma

Apr 15, 2015, 11:54:38 AM4/15/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thank you sir.
I still do not know what to make of the difference between the var. under Haplanthodes tentaculata.

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2015, 12:30:00 PM4/15/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Anurag Ji,

I do not know. Since we do not have other source we will have to depend on FBI. I copy a few words -

Type species : cladodes in fruits glabrous or pubescent, not ciliate; calyx pubescent, scarcely ciliate; corolla less than 1/2 inch, white (blue, lilac - Pullaiah)
var. Plumosa : calyx densely hispid-hairy subplumose
var. nilgherrensis (neolgherryensis) : you have lit.

Your species had capsule slightly curved (check KEW herb K000885689), while after checking plumosa herb. at KEW site it appears to me plumosa capsules are a bit shorter and straight.

I think if these details can not be ascertain we need to go to var. plumosa, but leave it at H. tentaculatus only. This does not apply to neilgherryensis

Thank you
Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2015, 1:55:42 PM4/15/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Anurag Ji,

I copy here the KEY, based on various lit, you have provided -

CHARACTER

[...]

Please check the thread https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/C6E9D20qujk/x1u7YD85F60J. To me cladodes seem to be gladular, yet number of teeth is two in some & three in others. What do you think?

Regards

Anurag Sharma

Apr 18, 2015, 11:29:25 AM4/18/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Well sir, in one Flora that I saw, it said cladodes in H. verticillatus generally 2 toothed, rarely 3. I cannot find it right now. Will attach when I do.

Thank you.

surajit koley

Apr 18, 2015, 12:26:52 PM4/18/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Dear Anurag Ji,

If Haplanthus verticillaris Nees can have 3 teeth sometimes then number of teeth won't be a KEY to id species. Attached here what Wight recorded about cladode teeth in H. nilgherrensis. Please note what Wight referred to "bract" may be he meant cladode.

After going through all uploads of Haplanthus/Haplanthodes I think -
  • length cladode is vital (ref. FBI and "note" in http://linnean-online.org/6882/)
  • I am not sure if presence/absence of glandular hair can be a KEY
  • In H. neilgherryensis flowers in pseudo-whorls taking a form of terminal spike; cladodes and sepals with white hairs (ref. FBI)
  • In var. plumosa pseudo-whorls are relatively wide spaced; sepals are hairy subplumose
  • In H. tentacularis cladodes are smaller than H. verticillaris and not ciliate (ref. FBI and Linnean site)
However, I think I have found H. t. var. plumosa! Here it is - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/By2tCca-aOs/niDaDdPIZU8J. Check the two photographs in highest resolution, you will see plumose sepals clearly. Besides, each pseudo-whorl in that plant gives rise to sub-branches which do again form flowering pseudowhorl of cladodes (Dinesh Ji pointed out this character in a thread). Please also compare those two pics with another upload(s) by Neil Sir - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/CCj373r5vGw/GrD_qNzUKkEJ Note the darker pattern in corolla lobes in both the thread

Thank you
Regards

Ic_Pl_IV_74.jpg

Anurag Sharma

Apr 20, 2015, 3:39:53 PM4/20/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Thanks sir.

One question- are the pseudowhorls forming further branches not seen ANY of the other threads on the group?

surajit koley

Apr 20, 2015, 10:44:18 PM4/20/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
Our concern is with only two species of FBI, Anurag Ji, Haplanthus verticillaris and H. tentaculatus. The later includes var. nilgherrensis and var. plumosa.

Since I have no field experience on this particular genus I depend on DInesh Ji's experience - of H. neilgherryensis - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/indiantreepix/NbKZ2cRILsc/znbfFPnQ7iAJ

I have collected info from various threads, examined online herbarium, read old lit. and cooked my own recipe. I do not claim my dish is healthy and nutritious!

Thank you
Regards
surajit

surajit koley

Apr 20, 2015, 10:59:38 PM4/20/15
to Anurag Sharma, efloraofindia
btw, Calyx of H. verticillaris is 1 line (1 line = 2.1 mm). corolla 6 line long (note the calyx to corolla ratio); calyx glabrous or nearly so (ref. http://www.herbier-mpu.org/zoomify/zoomify.php?fichier=MPU018249).

Thank you
Regards

Anurag Sharma

Apr 22, 2015, 1:39:29 PM4/22/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
I have a request sir.
Could you please summarize our entire discussion so as to be referred to in the future when another post of Haplanthodes sp. comes up? This would be quite helpful for me as well.

surajit koley

Apr 23, 2015, 1:08:06 PM4/23/15
to Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix
Dear Anurag Ji, following is the synopsis (based on very limited resource we have discussed and pasted links) -

cladode length :-
verticillaris (verticillatus ) = 19 mm to 30 mm
tentaculatus (incl. var.) = 06 mm to 20 mm

glandular hairs on cladodes :
verticillaris (verticillatus ) = present
tentaculatus (incl. var.) = absent (in all var.?)

calyx :
verticillaris (verticillatus ) = 2 mm long, glabrous or pubescent
tentaculatus =
  • (around 4 to 5 mm long, pubescent or scarcely ciliate in var. tentaculatus
  • long (? should be more or less equal to above) and pilose in neilgherryensis (note : spike is congested than var. tentaculatus)
  • should be equal length to above and plumose in var. plumosa
(please note KEW has herb. featuring intermediate form of var. tentaculatus and var. neilgherryensis

colour of corolla :-
uncertain to me in all species and var.

Capsule size also uncertain (ref. JCB & Pullaiah); number of seeds not known to me; seed of tentaculatus is smaller than verticillaris (ref. FBI)

Thank you
Regards

Anurag Sharma

Apr 26, 2015, 2:53:43 AM4/26/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
Thank you very much sir- for the discussion and the summary!

Anurag Sharma

Apr 28, 2015, 10:24:40 AM4/28/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
Good evening sir. While going through the various flora in my college taxonomy lab, I found this in the Flora of Nasik District (P. Lakshminarasimhan and B.D Sharma). All four species have been keyed out:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

surajit koley

Apr 29, 2015, 12:34:19 PM4/29/15
to Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix
Thanks Anurag Ji for the KEY to four species. But, does it help us to identify the species we/I have discussed so far in the following three threads? -

Anurag Sharma

May 7, 2015, 11:01:50 AM5/7/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
No sir, I am afraid without a clear view of the capsules, I wouldn't know where to start.
But in this thread, would you say that the capsule is pubescent or glabrous?

surajit koley

May 7, 2015, 2:50:24 PM5/7/15
to Anurag Sharma, indiantreepix
No Sir Anurag Ji, I am unable to tell you if the capsules in your thread are pubescent or not!
That is why I think the KEY from your college taxonomy club doesn't help me much in these cases!

Not only that, according to the KEY of that book H. neilgherryensis should have glandular hairy cladodes. I am not sure if those cladodes in your plant were glandular or not. Perhaps a few glandular hairs are there in DSC_0739.jpg (below the flower) and in DSC_0743.jpg (bottom of the pic).

In fact, this prolonged and intermittent discussion along with so many KEY in various sources makes it more and more complicated.

Yet, based on distribution,your species is not plumosa; based on hair on cladodes your species is not tentaculatus; based on this thread your species is not  verticillatus.

Thank you
Regards

Anurag Sharma

May 20, 2015, 8:13:52 AM5/20/15
to surajit koley, indiantreepix
Thank you sir.
As a final note, I would make sure to shoot with a scale next time so that atleast a few doubts arising as a result of no scale measurements can be avoided!

J.M. Garg

Apr 19, 2017, 3:30:21 AM4/19/17
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale
I feel it should be Haplanthodes tentaculatus (Nees) Majumdar as per images herein.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6302.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jan 28, 2020, 5:28:05 AM1/28/20
to efloraofindia, Prashant awale, dr.rakesh Singh
But I am not too sure.
Pl. confirm.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

IMG_6300.jpg
IMG_6301.jpg
IMG_6302.jpg