Expand the FM Radio Band -by- Moving AM's to Old TV Channels 5 & 6 !

RHF

Aug 6, 2008, 7:25:56 PM8/6/08
On Aug 6, 3:46 pm, gallan...@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>  proposal would move virtually all AM stations to the new band.   The
>  engineers lay out a plan under which all or most of the current AM
>  occupants would move and parts of the existing band would be designated for
>  users like municipalities and LPAM stations.  “For clear-channel (Class A)
>  AM stations we are proposing that the FCC will increase existing
>  protections on the AM band and possibly re-allocate the Class As that stay
>  in such a way that they will have enough protection from other AM stations
>  so that they can operate HD Radio day and night without creating
>  interference,” BMC member Bert Goldman told Radio World.  “This reduction
>  in AM noise will allow the remaining Class A stations to increase their
>  daytime and nighttime interference-free service by removing all other AM
>  stations.”  Each channel is anticipated to be structured in such a way that
>  the station may decide if they want greater robustness of signal (and
>  greater coverage like in rural locations) or less robustness and up to four
>  program channels. BMC is not proposing a digital standard at this time.
>  BMC has also proposed a way to move the estimated 24 post-transition DTV
>  stations out of Channels 5 and 6.  The proposal is signed by Mullaney,
>  Goldman, Mark Lipp, Paul H. Reynolds, Joseph Davis, Clarence Beverage,
>  Laura Mizrahi, Lee Reynolds and Alex Walsh.
>
> Nuts and Bolts of BMC’s AM Migration Plan
> 8.01.2008
>  Here are the nuts and bolts of the Broadcast Maximization Committee’s
>  proposal <http://www.radioworld.com/pages/s.0100/t.14794.html> to use old
>  TV spectrum for a migration of AM stations.  Under the BMC plan, AMs could
>  transition to the Channel 5/6 spectrum (100 channels 77.0 to 86.9 MHz) and
>  operate in the digital mode. In this way, AMs “can solve the current
>  digital problems they are experiencing, especially at night,” the group
>  states in its proposal.   BMC is proposing to: Extend the FM band to
>  include frequencies 76.1 to 87.7 MHz FM Expanded Band (EXB) with a 100 kHz
>  channel spacing, creating 117 new channels. The first eight channels (87.0
>  to 87.7 MHz) would be reserved NCE channels since they are contiguous to
>  the current NCE band. The next 100 channels (77.0 to 86.9 MHz) would be
>  used to migrate AM stations to the proposed FM new EXB band channels, where
>  they would operate in digital mode. One channel on 76.9 MHz would be set
>  aside for NOAA DHS use nationwide. The last eight channels (76.1 to 76.8
>  MHz) would be for LPFM use. The vacated AM band (540 to 1700 kHz) would
>  open up for multiple uses, including improved AM broadcast service or other
>  use. While the policies, standards and priorities for an AM migration would
>  need to be developed, BMC has offered a technical plan to show that its
>  proposal is possible and to encourage further discussions.   “Above all, AM
>  stations can become competitive, financially viable and immediately have

Dang That's A Great Idea ! - seems like I read it before . . . RHF
.
Expanding the FM Radio Band from 76 MHz to 88 MHz
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/93586e2bf667afb2
Expanding the FM Radio Band from 76 MHz to 88 MHz
would give an additional 12 MHz of Radio Spectrum for
60 More FM Radio Channels. Using the TV Spectrum
from the former Analog VHF Channels 5 and 6.
.
Point # 1 - Why Not - Expand the FM Band !
Yes "HD" Radio makes sense in an "Expanded"
FM Radio Band to cover 76 MHz to 88 MHz to
create and additional 60 Channels for many of
the AM/MW Radio Stations to Transition to . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e0c90cb1dfb18bc5
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/6f1485c13c483a5f
.
For the current IBOC Broadcast 'Scheme' to work on the
AM/MW Radio Band : The current Channel "Spacing" of
10 kHz would have to be expanded to 25 kHz.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/20a7d4e83ffae181
Meaning that Half the Current AM/MW Radio Stations
would have to be 'transitioned' from the AM/MW Radio
Band to the FM Radio Band. In order to accomodate
these 'new' FM Radio Stations; the FM Radio Band would
have to be Expanded by using the former Analog TV
Channels 5 & 6 {76 MHz to 88 MHz}.
.
What Is Required Is - An Expanded FM Radio Band that uses
the old Analog TV Channel 5 & 6 Frequency Range 76~88 Mhz
for the Majority of former AM/MW Radio Stations to Transition
to using IBOC.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/c2d18eac3b6437fe
.
IMHO the Best most practical use of two of the former
VHF Analog TV Channels is to Expand the FM Band !
"HD" Radio makes sense in an "Expanded" FM Radio
Band to cover 76 MHz to 88 MHz to create and additional
60 Digital Audio Radio Channels for many of the AM/MW
Radio Stations to Transition to . . .
Simply by using the TV Spectrum from the former Analog
VHF Channels 5 and 6.

The future of Terestrial Radio is in FM HD-Radio Broadcasting.

The FCC should have simply left the AM/MW Radio Band
remain Analog and simply fade away.

Expanding the FM Radio Band in the USA from 76 MHz to 88 MHz
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/93586e2bf667afb2
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/ebba020aff11f5f0

Plan For The "HD" AM/MW Radio Band :
Going All Digital And Beyond !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e0c90cb1dfb18bc5
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/6f1485c13c483a5f

Why Not ! - Leave AM Radio Alone {Analog Only}
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/f64c4f482b701d06

The Best short-term uses of FM HD-Radio Channels are...
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/0690499228b19db0
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/55420913320ba730
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/474c318e2972d23a
.
.
the truth is out-there - riding on a radio-wave ~ RHF
.
- - - the digital divide : i draw the line @ iboc 'hd' radio - - -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-band_on-channel
.
Find-Out-for-Yourself - Google Search Results :
HD-Radio - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=HD-Radio
.
Read-the-News-for-Yourself Google News Results :
HD-Radio - http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=HD-Radio
.
CopyRight © RHF {Radio High Frequency} All Rights Reserved.
.
Fair Use Notice : This Entire Message in Part or Entirety
may be Copied and Reposted on/in All Media : Provided
the Source the "Rec.Radio.Shortwave" Newsgroup and
the Author RHF {Radio High Frequency} are both identified.
.

RHF

Aug 6, 2008, 7:31:01 PM8/6/08
Broadcast Maximization Committee’s -proposal-

Engineers’ Group Has an Idea: Move AMs to Channels 5 & 6
- - - Radio World Newsbytes :: Top Stories 1 Aug 2008
http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0100/t.14794.html

Nuts and Bolts of BMC’s AM Migration Plan

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0100/t.14795.html