ABC CITADEL AM STATIONS SUSPEND NIGHTTIME IBOC

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 12:47:47 PM10/2/07
ABC CITADEL AM STATIONS SUSPEND NIGHTTIME IBOC

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,82132.0.html

It's over for AM-HD - no sense in running it during the day, if it
doesn't work at night!

Steve

Oct 2, 2007, 1:28:48 PM10/2/07

Hmmm. Maybe it'll be worth pulling my Quantum Loop out of mothballs
tonight.

Message has been deleted

SFTVrati...@yahoo.com

Oct 2, 2007, 2:22:07 PM10/2/07

And I'm supposed to believe some anonymous guy without any proof (not
even a screenshot of the email).

Truth is:

Nightime IBOC would work just fine if the adjust the parameters to fit
inside 10 kHz.

Steve

Oct 2, 2007, 2:35:44 PM10/2/07

Of course, they can fix all of the technical problems and that won't
help the business model.

Stephanie Weil

Oct 2, 2007, 2:57:28 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 2:22 pm, SFTVratings_t...@yahoo.com wrote:

> And I'm supposed to believe some anonymous guy without any proof (not
> even a screenshot of the email).
>
> Truth is:
>
> Nightime IBOC would work just fine if the adjust the parameters to fit
> inside 10 kHz.

Our local ABC station (WABC-77) has been turning off its IBOC at night
for the past two nights, I've noticed. I figured something had to be
wrong between WABC and WJR-76 in Detroit.

Univision's WADO-1280 does the same thing. Sometimes it's not even on
during the day. Wonder who complained to WADO about nighttime
interference.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

dxAce

Oct 2, 2007, 3:07:54 PM10/2/07

Stephanie Weil wrote:

Oh, oh. You mentioned Univision which will bring Edweenie out to the lectern to
give us all another lecture.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Don't do business with the Huntington Investment Company.

Stephanie Weil

Oct 2, 2007, 3:16:01 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 3:07 pm, dxAce <dx...@milestones.com> wrote:

> Oh, oh. You mentioned Univision which will bring Edweenie out to the lectern to
> give us all another lecture.

I just report what I hear. I occasionally do tune in WADO late at
night when they're playing music (for some odd reason instead of
replaying daytime talk shows). Last night was one such night. Didn't
notice any IBOC noise at all. I just wonder what's up with that

The few times I've listened to 1280 during the day, its IBOC signal
has sometimes been on and sometimes not.

Stephanie Weil

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 3:28:49 PM10/2/07

Won't happen - the signal is already at least 20khz wide on each side
- LOL!

cuh...@webtv.net

Oct 2, 2007, 3:30:10 PM10/2/07
Ahhhhhh hesh up.Doggy, she is sleepin down between my legs right now.
cuhulin

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 3:40:39 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 2:22?pm, SFTVratings_t...@yahoo.com wrote:

In article <1191343744.179005.214...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,

PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
> ABC CITADEL AM STATIONS SUSPEND NIGHTTIME IBOC

> http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,82132.0.html

> It's over for AM-HD - no sense in running it during the day, if it
> doesn't work at night!

To quote:

"Yep. I saw that one coming. Behind the scenes, the impression the
companies have had when it comes to nighttime operation has been quite
negative. HD is finally starting to unravel. It's about time."
--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

http://tinyurl.com/2l6c4k

Ha! Ha! SFTVratings! Eduardo!

David Eduardo

Oct 2, 2007, 4:21:39 PM10/2/07

"Stephanie Weil" <stepha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It has not been on due to an exciter issue... the whole thing went back to
Quincy. It will return.

David Eduardo

Oct 2, 2007, 4:23:01 PM10/2/07

"Stephanie Weil" <stepha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

We detected a design issue in the AM exciter, after it wiped out 70% of the
RF modules in the KTNQ transmitter. As a precaution, the units were sent in
fro retrofitting.

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 4:27:32 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 4:23?pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> "Stephanie Weil" <stephanie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ah, no one will notice - no one is listening!

Stephanie Weil

Oct 2, 2007, 4:42:39 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 4:23 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:

> We detected a design issue in the AM exciter, after it wiped out 70% of the
> RF modules in the KTNQ transmitter. As a precaution, the units were sent in
> fro retrofitting.

I don't know David. If a pice of gear takes out 70 percent of my
(very expensive) transmitter -- the thing that makes money for me -- I
wouldn't be sending it back for a retrofitting. Instead, I'd be
tossing a shitfit and demanding my money back from the manufacturer,
in addition to compensation for lost air time and ad dollars.

I'd then consider sending them the bashed-up piece of gear, postage to
be paid by recipient. Nah, just kidding on that.

Seriously though. Ad dollars being what they are, you can't afford to
be off the air for a second because of a piece of defective gear
blowing up your rig.

SFTV_troy

Oct 2, 2007, 4:45:42 PM10/2/07

PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2:22?pm, SFTVratings_t...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Truth is: Nightime IBOC would work just fine if they

> > adjust the parameters to fit inside 10 kHz.
>
> Won't happen - the signal is already at least 20khz wide
> on each side - LOL!

- Eliminate the analog, and HD fits very nicely into a 10 kHz channel.

- Alternatively, you could keep the analog and let the HD "hang over"
5 kHz per side, which would not be quite as bad as the current
situation.

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 5:00:14 PM10/2/07

If it could have been done, it already woud have...

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 5:14:37 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 2:22?pm, SFTVratings_t...@yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.radio-info.com/index.php

So sorry! Ha! Ha!

David Eduardo

Oct 2, 2007, 5:14:33 PM10/2/07

> On Oct 2, 4:23 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
>
>> We detected a design issue in the AM exciter, after it wiped out 70% of
>> the
>> RF modules in the KTNQ transmitter. As a precaution, the units were sent
>> in
>> fro retrofitting.
>
> I don't know David. If a pice of gear takes out 70 percent of my
> (very expensive) transmitter -- the thing that makes money for me -- I
> wouldn't be sending it back for a retrofitting. Instead, I'd be
> tossing a shitfit and demanding my money back from the manufacturer,
> in addition to compensation for lost air time and ad dollars.

It's new technology... it's kind of the price one pays.

> I'd then consider sending them the bashed-up piece of gear, postage to
> be paid by recipient. Nah, just kidding on that.

Actually, they replaced the modules.... after we bought a new Nautel 50
anyway.

> Seriously though. Ad dollars being what they are, you can't afford to
> be off the air for a second because of a piece of defective gear
> blowing up your rig.

It's no problem, as the site automatically will put another transmitter on
the air. Eventually, though, we run out of transmitters.

RHF

Oct 2, 2007, 5:16:24 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 11:22 am, SFTVratings_t...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 2, 11:47 am, PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > ABC CITADEL AM STATIONS SUSPEND NIGHTTIME IBOC
>
> >http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,82132.0.html
>
> > It's over for AM-HD - no sense in running it during the day, if it
> > doesn't work at night!
>
> And I'm supposed to believe some anonymous guy without any proof (not
> even a screenshot of the email).

- Truth is:
-
- Nightime IBOC would work just fine if the adjust
- they parameters to fit inside 10 kHz.

DOH ! - If the Shoe Don't Fit . . .
Don't Stick It In Your Mouth !

SFTV, { "Hybrid Digital" Man }

AM/MW "HD" Radio is 'by-design' Engineered to Interfer
with the two Adjacent AM/MW Radio Channels at 10 kHz.
http://electronicdesign.com/Files/29/12194/Figure_02.gif

AM {Basic} Analog Audio +/- 5 kHz
Digital Primary {Outside Audio} Side-Bands +/- 10~15 kHz
Digital Secondary {Inside Data} Side-Bands +/- 5~10 kHz

For the current IBOC Broadcast 'Scheme' to work on the
AM/MW Radio Band : The current Channel "Spacing" of
10 kHz would have to be expanded to 25 kHz. Meaning
that Half the Current AM/MW Radio Stations would have
to be 'transitioned' from the AM/MW Radio Band to the
FM Radio Band. In order to accomodate these 'new' FM
Radio Stations; the FM Radio Band would have to be
Expanded by using the former Analog TV Channels 5 & 6
{76 MHz to 88 MHz}.

1 - Serving in the Public Interest - The Clear Channel
Mega-Power AM/MW Radio Broadcaster is no longer
needed or required : Therefore the concept of Local
AM/MW Radio Stations having 1000 Watts and former
Clear Channel AM/MW Radio Stations having 50,000
Watts is clearly outdated.

2 - The 'artifical' 1% Digital to Analog Signal Ratio is
clearly not working fully within the 10 mv/m Contour
and Fails beyond it.
1000 Watts Analog ERP @ 1% = 10 Watts Digital
5000 Watts Analog ERP @ 1% = 50 Watts Digital
10,000 Watts Analog ERP @ 1% = 100 Watts Digital
20,000 Watts Analog ERP @ 1% = 200 Watts Digital
50,000 Watts Analog ERP @ 1% = 500 Watts Digital

3 - Localize All "HD" AM/MW Radio Broadcasting.
Three Classes of AM/MW "HD" Radio Broadcasters :
* Rural Local Radio Stations 100 Watts - Days and Nights
- - - Gives Local Radio Stations Ten Times (10X)
the Digital Power that they presently have.
* Metro Radio Stations 400 Watts - Days and Nights
- - - Gives Metro Area Radio Stations 2X~8X
the Digital Power that they presently have.
* Regional Radio Stations 1600 Watts Days and
800 Watts Nights
- - - Gives Regional Radio Stations 2X~3X
the Digital Power that they presently have.

FCC mandate that all new AM/FM Radios :
Made in the USA or Imported into the USA
be "HD" {IBOC} Radios by 2009.

FCC requirement that allAM/FM Radio Stations
be Broadcasting in "HD" {IBOC} Radios by 2010.

I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In That Distant Land* Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.
* Twain Harte, CA -USA-
.

RHF

Oct 2, 2007, 5:33:46 PM10/2/07
- Ah, no one will notice - no one is listening!

PR,

At least no one is listening who speaks English and has
been Assimulted into the Great American Collective Culture :
Their Ethnic Diversity dissected and intergrated into :
What "IS" Americana !
http://wizbangblog.com/content/2007/07/22/assimilated-into-the-collective.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pot
http://www.writingshop.ws/html/the_borg.html

'resistance-is-futile' {no spanglish translation required} ~ RHF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_is_futile
.

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 5:38:17 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 5:16?pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 11:22 am, SFTVratings_t...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > On Oct 2, 11:47 am, PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > ABC CITADEL AM STATIONS SUSPEND NIGHTTIME IBOC
>
> > >http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,82132.0.html
>
> > > It's over for AM-HD - no sense in running it during the day, if it
> > > doesn't work at night!
>
> > And I'm supposed to believe some anonymous guy without any proof (not
> > even a screenshot of the email).
>
> - Truth is:
> -
> - Nightime IBOC would work just fine if the adjust
> - they parameters to fit inside 10 kHz.
>
> DOH ! - If the Shoe Don't Fit . . .
> Don't Stick It In Your Mouth !
>
> SFTV, { "Hybrid Digital" Man }
>
> AM/MW "HD" Radio is 'by-design' Engineered to Interfer
> with the two Adjacent AM/MW Radio Channels at 10 kHz.http://electronicdesign.com/Files/29/12194/Figure_02.gif

Consumers don't even buy radios anymore, and then to expect them to
spend $100 for digital radios that have crappy reception and poor
programming choices - LOL!

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 5:42:54 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 5:33?pm, RHF <rhf-newsgro...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 1:27 pm, PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > On Oct 2, 4:23?pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
>
> > > "Stephanie Weil" <stephanie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > We detected a design issue in the AM exciter, after it wiped out 70% of the
> > > RF modules in the KTNQ transmitter. As a precaution, the units were sent in
> > > fro retrofitting.
>
> - Ah, no one will notice - no one is listening!
>
> PR,
>
> At least no one is listening who speaks English and has
> been Assimulted into the Great American Collective Culture :
> Their Ethnic Diversity dissected and intergrated into :
> What "IS" Americana !http://wizbangblog.com/content/2007/07/22/assimilated-into-the-collec...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melting_pothttp://www.writingshop.ws/html/the_borg.html

> 'resistance-is-futile' {no spanglish translation required} ~ RHFhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_is_futile

How true - been to a 7/11 or McDonalds lately? Then there are the ATM
machines that ask up-front "press for English". Now, Bush is letting
in all of the illegal alien truckers! Shit, he let Eduaro in!

Stephanie Weil

Oct 2, 2007, 5:47:57 PM10/2/07

Um....idiot. This has become a globalized interconnected world.

For all you know, the "non English" speakers are also tourists passing
through and needing an ATM.

Ditto products that have multi-lingual labels. The same product can be
sold in Mexico, USA and Canada without having to print out three
different versions of the label or instruction book.

Stephanie Weil

Oct 2, 2007, 5:49:25 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 5:38 pm, PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:

> Consumers don't even buy radios anymore,

Then why do I see people buying clock radios and those little chintzy
Chinese junk table radios that sit on almost EVERYONE's office desk
and cubicle?

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 6:51:40 PM10/2/07

You must be a Bushy ?

dxAce

Oct 2, 2007, 6:51:52 PM10/2/07

David Eduardo wrote:

That's not good.

dxAce

Oct 2, 2007, 6:54:14 PM10/2/07

Stephanie Weil wrote:

True, but fake Hispanics are not known for their thinking.

Spouting BS, making things up, yes, but not for critical thinking.

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 6:56:21 PM10/2/07

Been to Best Buy's, Radio Shack's, Circuit City's, and Sears' "radio"
departments lately? My, you are a fistey one - just my kind of
wummon! Shortwave radios - gone, too!

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 6:57:41 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 5:49?pm, Stephanie Weil <stephanie...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yea, I can see it now - $80 HD/IBOC alarm clock radios, with AM-loop
and externally-mounted FM-dipole antennas!

Steve

Oct 2, 2007, 7:03:39 PM10/2/07

The irony there is that none of those radios can receive anything.
Maybe a little on FM, but AM forget it.

David Eduardo

Oct 2, 2007, 7:13:38 PM10/2/07

<Pocke...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> How true - been to a 7/11 or McDonalds lately? Then there are the ATM
> machines that ask up-front "press for English". Now, Bush is letting
> in all of the illegal alien truckers! Shit, he let Eduaro in!

The truckers have permits; they are not illegal and their entry is a joint
accord of NAFTA.

dxAce

Oct 2, 2007, 7:18:10 PM10/2/07

David Eduardo wrote:

Invaders, much like yourself, who was going to give up US citizenship just
moments before you got tossed from Ecuador (If indeed that 'story' is true,
which it probably isn't).

Steve

Oct 2, 2007, 7:31:32 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 7:13 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> <PocketRa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

At least they don't lie about their academic histories.

Stephanie Weil

Oct 2, 2007, 7:53:06 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 6:51 pm, PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
> You must be a Bushy ?

Hardly. I despise the man. I'm a leftie, but certainly not a blind
one.

RHF

Oct 2, 2007, 8:16:10 PM10/2/07
> > 'resistance-is-futile' {no spanglish translation required} ~ RHFhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_is_futile

> How true - been to a 7/11 or McDonalds lately? Then there are the ATM
> machines that ask up-front "press for English". Now, Bush is letting
> in all of the illegal alien truckers! Shit, he let Eduaro in!- Hide quoted text -

PR,

What gets me is when Spanish is the # 1 -or- Default Option
on the ATM and you are required to Push # 2 for English -or-
Forced to Select English to perform the ATM Transaction.

American Citizens who speak English are being treated like
Second Class Citizens in their very own Country.

Do Hillary Spreken Ze Spanglish ? - iwtk ~ RHF
.

Pocke...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2007, 10:19:31 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 7:13?pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> <PocketRa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

And, their 20 year-old trucks have retreads and smoke like hell - the
illegals will truck in more illegals and work for half the wages of
American truckers and drive them out of business - old Bush, all for
big businuss.

mi...@sushi.com

Oct 3, 2007, 12:08:52 AM10/3/07
On Oct 2, 4:13 pm, "David Eduardo" <da...@davideduardo.com> wrote:
> <PocketRa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Actually, the Mexican truckers are in the US due to an executive
order. In theory, US truckers can now enter Mexico. Of course, I can
imagine the insurance for taking a truck into Mexico is rather high
given the likelihood of it being hijacked.

Billy Smith

Oct 3, 2007, 3:37:06 AM10/3/07

William Smith
Indiana
IC-746, FRG-100
1500 foot longwire

<Pocke...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yes, the lovely globalized interconnected world. A world which lacks
independence due to being interconnected. The loss of national sovereignty,
loss of restrictions on poor products. etc. I'm sure its such a fine world
with lead tainting your products, lead tainting baby bibs, rotten food,
poisons and lack of restrictions on these products. Just lovely isn't it?
Let them all in and let all the third worlders in. I'm sure that all the
globalist supporters would love to have those same Mexicans move in with
them. Or the Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Africans, etc.

I guess since we no longer have an America, we should sing kumbaya and wear
our togas to the party. I'm sure that when your standard of living decreases
rapidly, you might think otherwise about the greatness of being in this
globalized interconnected world. I'm sure that when Americans go from making
15 to 20 dollars an hour to making 2 an hour, it will be great. I wonder who
is going to foot the bill for Social Security, pensions, infrastructure,
roads, bridges, etc. Is it going to be the Mexican invaders? The Chinese?
The American taxpayers? Those who work and pay taxes? How in the hell do you
propose this infrastructure rebuilding with the loss of much of the economic
and industrial base of America? Who is going to pay all the taxes? The
burger flippers, the service employees, the low wage workers. They don't
have any money. Are the Mexicans going to pay the taxes? How about taxing
China for their slave labor goods?

Or are we on a downward spiral with the loss of our good paying domestic
industry and technical jobs. Exactly who is going to foot the bill. I
suspect it is going to be most of the people in their 20s through 50s and
younger citizens. Nice job guys. I'm sure you'll enjoy their third world
nation you won't have to inherit like the youth of the country.

SFTVrati...@yahoo.com

Oct 3, 2007, 7:47:28 AM10/3/07

It can be done... I've read the specs for the HDR standard.

Steve

Oct 3, 2007, 8:09:23 AM10/3/07

Says the man who predicts the impending demise of the internet...

Telamon

Oct 5, 2007, 2:34:45 AM10/5/07
In article <1191412048....@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
SFTVrati...@yahoo.com wrote:

Why yes, with your impressive posting history and display of knowledge
on the subject everyone reading this news group must behind you 100%.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF

Oct 5, 2007, 4:14:23 AM10/5/07

SFTV -aka- "Hybrid Digital" Man,

What Does "HDR" Stand For ?

What "HDR" Standard ?

i want to know ~ RHF
.

RHF

Oct 7, 2007, 2:54:55 PM10/7/07
On Oct 2, 9:47 am, PocketRa...@gmail.com wrote:
> ABC CITADEL AM STATIONS SUSPEND NIGHTTIME IBOC
>
> http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,82132.0.html
>
> It's over for AM-HD - no sense in running it during the day, if it
> doesn't work at night!

A REMINDER TO ALL -WRT- "HD" RADIO

There Is a "HD Radio" NewsGroup
HD RADIO => http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio/
viability in the market place, HD Radios & Receivers and
Technology, Programming, Reception, and in general
anything concerning HD Radio that shouldn't be clogging
up other NewsGroups, like Rec.Radio.Shortwave.

For anyone who is looking for an "HD" Radio Group that
is Moderated -or- Simply NOT Rec.Radio.Shortwave

Here is a List of Yahoo Groups that have something
to do with "HD" Radio News and Information.
* HDRadio
* HD-Radio
* HD-Radio-Engineering
* Accurian HD Radio {RadioShack}
* High Defination Radio

Plus here is a List of Yahoo Groups that have something
to do with "IBOC" {HD Radio} News and Information.
* HD-Radio-Engineering
* Sangean HDT1 "HD" Radio Tuner
* NO2IBOC = Just Say "NO" To IBOC !
* DRM IBOC HDRadio = DRM and HD Radio Forum
* AMStereoOnly = AM Stereo Only ! - Where Digital Is Dead !

FWIW - Here is another HD Radio Forum {NewsGroup}
AVS Forum > Digital Video & Audio Devices > HD Radio
HD RADIO => http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=154
Some Good Info Here and It is Free for the Reading :o)

And Once Again The Aforementioned "HDRadio" NewsGroup
HDRADIO=>http://groups.google.com/group/hd-radio/

hy dee ray dee oh ~ RHF
.