Ford District Demonstrators

Brian S

Aug 23, 2020, 12:34:15 PM8/23/20
to shelbyr...@googlegroups.com

In 1967, Ford Motor Company (Ford Division) had 37 Districts located throughout seven Regions in the United States.

While researching Ford’s takeover of SAI, including our theory on why certain cars received a “Z” added to their VIN plates, we noticed that according to the registry, more than 30 units were shipped out to various Ford Districts around the country in April 1967.

After further scrutiny, we identified, by VIN, exactly which ‘67 Shelby G.T. units were sent to each of the 37 Ford domestic sales districts as “District Demonstrators.”

The following table is sorted by Shelby Sequence Number:

D#

Ford District Name

Shelby Seq

Pkg

Model

Trans

Paint

Trim

Shipped

74

Seattle, WA

0438

410F

GT500

Auto

8

4/10/1967

16

Philadelphia, PA

0444

412F

GT500

Auto

5

4/10/1967

33

Detroit, MI

0446

412F

GT500

Auto

5

4/6/1967

71

Los Angeles, CA

0601

412F

GT500

Auto

5

4/13/1967

45

Davenport, IA

0678

400F

GT500

4spd

5

4/6/1967

38

Pittsburg, PA

0688

400F

GT500

4spd

5

4/6/1967

53

Kansas City

0695

400F

GT500

4spd

8

4/6/1967

44

Twin Cities (MN)

0697

400F

GT500

4spd

8

4/11/1967

34

Indianapolis, IN

0699

400F

GT500

4spd

8

4/6/1967

25

Richmond, VA

0700

400F

GT500

4spd

8

4/6/1967

62

Houston, TX

0701

400F

GT500

4spd

8

4/14/1967

15

Newark, NJ

0703

400F

GT500

4spd

8

4/6/1967

43

Milwaukee, WI

0739

400F

GT500

4spd

7

4/6/1967

32

Cleveland, OH

0784

410F

GT500

Auto

7

4/6/1967

61

Dallas, TX

0834

410F

GT500

Auto

7

4/14/1967

21

Atlanta, GA

0840

410F

GT500

Auto

2

4/6/1967

54

Omaha, NE

0843

400F

GT500

4spd

7

4/11/1967

41

Chicago, IL

0854

410F

GT500

Auto

4

4/18/1967

17

Washington, DC

0856

410F

GT500

Auto

2

4/10/1967

13

New York, NY

0859

410F

GT500

Auto

4

4/6/1967

51

Denver, CO

0862

410F

GT500

Auto

4

4/10/1967

72

San Jose, CA

0966

412F

GT500

Auto

8

4/10/1967

24

Jacksonville, FL

1003

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

55

St. Louis, MO

1014

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

64

New Orleans, LA

1017

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

27

Cincinnati, OH

1023

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

11

Boston, MA

1024

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

65

Oklahoma City, OK

1029

400F

GT500

4spd

4

4/6/1967

63

Memphis, TN

1042

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

35

Lansing, MI

1052

400F

GT500

4spd

2

4/6/1967

73

Salt Lake City, UT

1053

400F

GT500

4spd

4

4/10/1967

22

Charlotte, NC

1077

400F

GT500

4spd

4

4/3/1967

37

Buffalo, NY

1089

400F

GT500

4spd

4

4/6/1967

42

Fargo, ND

1090

400F

GT500

4spd

4

4/20/1967

28

Louisville, KY

1092

400F

GT500

4spd

4

4/6/1967

52

Des Moines, IA

1184

400F

GT500

4spd

7

4/6/1967

75

Phoenix, AZ

1318

400F

GT500

4spd

7

4/10/1967

You may have noticed that, while transmissions, paint, and trim were variables, each and every one of the District Demonstrator units was a G.T. 500 Fastback model (4xxF package) with optional wheels (a mixture of Shelby 10-spoke and KH Mag Star), and of course air-conditioning was still not available on the G.T. 500 model in April 1967.

Given that all demonstrators shipped with upgraded wheels, it is probable that all demonstrator units also would have been equipped with an AM Radio. Until we gather more paperwork (Production Orders or Invoices), we won't know for sure.

Note: Paint colors of the demonstrator units included: Nightmist, White, Dark Green, Lime and Brittany.

There were no Bronze, Black, Gray, Red, or Acapulco Blue units shipped as demonstrators.

It is our understanding that these 37 demonstrator units were positioned around the country so that they could be driven to the district’s Ford dealers to introduce them to the Shelby G.T. -- now that they’d be allowed (encouraged) to sell them. The official news was announced via press release on April 26, 1967:

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Shelby GT350 and GT500 -- two of America’s bona fide production sports cars -- will appear in hundreds of Ford dealer showrooms across the country during the next few months.

Normally the Mustang-based Shelby cars are sold only through 90 specially-franchised Ford dealerships. This new promotion will introduce the GT350 and GT500 into l,000 additional Ford dealerships.

"While these 1,000 sports cars eventually will be sold, they will be used primarily to highlight the regular lineup of high performance cars available at Ford dealers," said William P. Benton, manager of Ford Division's merchandising office. "The franchised dealers will continue to be the normal source for Shelby cars.”

                           4/26/67

Order and Invoice Numbers

At the present time, we only know of one unit’s order and invoice numbers. Car #1077’s order number is F007 and the corresponding invoice is F029. Despite only knowing one car’s info, the completion and shipping dates of all 37 units allow us to hypothesize that these 37 District Demonstrators might have been the first units to receive F-prefixed order numbers and corresponding ‘Continuation’ type invoices. As we gather more data, we might even find that all order and invoice numbers are sequential among the 37 District Demonstrator units.

See Also: