FAQ: How do I find out the DSO number that my car was ordered on?

Brian Styles

Apr 30, 2018, 10:03:22 AM4/30/18
to shelbyr...@googlegroups.com

A lot of the posts on this group reference Domestic Special Orders (DSOs).

If you'd like to know what DSO your car was ordered on, you can obtain the number from two (Sometimes three) different sources:
  • The 2011 SAAC World Registry 65-67
  • The Ford Record found on a Deluxe Marti Report.
  • And in a small number of cases, the Ford door tag, if SAI accidentally left it riveted to the driver's door.
In the registry, the Build Data can be found starting on page 1141. The DSO information was provided to the registry by Kevin Marti. We've found and confirmed three discrepancies with cars attributed to the wrong DSOs, including #0368, #0434, and #0435. These are identified on our master discrepancy tracing topic.

Marti reports can order one here. You'll want the Deluxe Report since it includes the 80-column Ford record (post-build).
For reference, here is the Deluxe Marti report for car #0139, and I've annotated the two places that the DSO Number can be found:

See also:

If you have a Deluxe Marti Report for your '67 Shelby G.T., please consider sending us a copy to help with our research endeavors.

nefaurora

Apr 28, 2019, 12:19:58 AM4/28/19
to 1967 Shelby Research Group

I believe that is incorrect in your example above.  You show in the DSO box "842512"  Correctly, The first two digits "84" are the correct DSO, and the last four digits "2512" following it is the Dealer Order number for that DSO District.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Registry
MCA#70001

styl...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2019, 9:41:26 AM4/28/19
to shelbyr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony, Welcome to the group.

The full DSO (Domestic Special Order) number is 6-digits. In the above example for car #0139, it is indeed "84-2512" (or 84x2512).

On paperwork, a full DSO number always includes a prefix of the Ford Ordering District. In the following clip from the microfilm file, the "DSO No." is "84x2612."

DSO-Crop.png

The "84" Ordering District prefix in the example above is actually comprised of two different pieces. "8" is the Region and "4" is the District (according to the breakdown on various Ford 80-column computer punch cards). When these two digits are combined, they are commonly referred to as the "ordering district."

This same Region+District code would also be found the first two digits a Ford dealer code. The 6-character dealer code is comprised of the region+district+zone+number, as evidenced by the following examples:

Region-District-Dealer-Num-Crop.png

Vehicle Order Card

Region-District-Zone-Code-Crop.png

Dealer Delivery Card

To save keystrokes in this research group, and to help with sorting (and because three different Ordering Districts were used for '67 Shelby GTs: 71, 84, 89, we choose not to include the Ordering District prefix when referring to a DSO number. Since all '67 G.T.s were ordered by Shelby American, the ordering district is usually irrelevant when referring to a specific DSO.

Using the shortened version, the range for 1967 Shelby GT DSOs was 2501-2614.
Your DSO General Observations topic may also be of benefit to you.

The Ford vehicle punch card refers to the 4-digit number as the "Special Order Number," and it occupies columns 32-35 of the Vehicle record.
You may also find this page beneficial to understanding how to decode the 80-column record for a '67 Ford vehicle: