Henriksen, Rebekka

May 5, 2021, 6:55:31 AM5/5/21
to SGSO Network
Hello,

I am looking for leads on both reusable signs to identify what is growing in our beds (so chalkable/erasable) as well as more permanent signs that I could install in some other gardens on our campus being built for butterfly habitat. Is there something you like that works well? Did you buy something that you could link to?

Thanks for your help! I have a little budget to do this and I know signs are expensive.

Rebekka Henriksen
Farm to School Grant Facilitator
Schenectady City School District
518-929-8590

John Fisher

May 5, 2021, 10:32:49 AM5/5/21
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Rebekka,

Here is a Blog post on Making Garden Signs and photo album of school garden signs from gardens across the country.
DC School Gardens also have a photo album on school garden signs

For reusable signs I have seen very creative ideas such as using pieces of slate or flat stone or painting smooth surfaces (like plexiglass) with chalkboard paint and then use chalk or chalk pens to write. See details on the blog post.

Another temporary sign that I have seen that seemed real easy was a pie shaped "slice" of a paper plate stapled to wooden post. It lasts about as long as the annual plant that it is labeling and can then be composted when faded, and new signs created.

Here are some Professionally Designed Garden Education Signs (both have a sign that mentions pollinators)

Here are some other threads on creating garden signage from our forum that might be of use to you as well: