Examples of Educational Garden Signage

Tristana Pirkl (CE CEN)

Jul 17, 2019, 2:31:59 PM7/17/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network

Hi everyone,

Would love to know of any great examples of educational garden signage you have seen or have in your garden. We are looking to install some educational signage in an educational community garden we operate. Thinking of the type of signage that is informative for someone who is visiting the garden on their own.

Any other best practices in relation to signs is welcome, as well.

Thank you!

All the best,

Tristana

ps://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/images/sig/rand_img.php

ps://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/images/sig/spacer.gif

TRISTANA PIRKL
Outdoor Education Leader
WholeKidsFoundation.org
A Whole Foods Market Foundation

ps://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/images/sig/sm-facebook.gifps://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/images/sig/sm-twitter.gifps://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/images/sig/sm-pinterest.gif

SHERMAN Rick - ODE

Jul 17, 2019, 2:50:06 PM7/17/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com

Hey Tristana!  Go to my Oregon Harvest for Schools page.  Click on any of the fruits, veggies or protein items.

Each one will have an item identifier, click on one of them.

These are printed out, laminated, and cut out and placed on those huge craft popsicle sticks.  The intent is that each sheet does two item identifiers.  We put the english and Spanish back to back so you can use flip them around or whatever.

Also, they can be done without the popsicle sticks as item identifiers on the salad bar or cafeteria line.

The QR code used to go to the individual fruit/veg/protein item page when we had 44 separate pages.  Now the link just takes you to the main page, but the thought is when you have a parent night or event someone can click away on their smart phone.  Our site is smart-phone enabled so it looks pretty snazzy.

Rick

Rick Sherman

Farm To School / School Garden Coordinator

Oregon Core Partner, National Farm to School Network

Child Nutrition Programs

Office of Student Services

Oregon Department of Education

255 Capital St. NE, Salem OR 97310

( (503) 947-5863  6 Fax: (503) 378-5156

mailto:Rick.S...@state.or.us

thumb sm

Visit ODE’s Farm to School website:

bit.ly/orf2s

---

John Fisher

Jul 18, 2019, 12:01:50 AM7/18/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Tristana,

Here is a Blog on Making Garden Signs and album of school garden signs from gardens across the country

Here are some Professionally Designed Garden Education Signs
Life Lab Garden Sign Designs (Spanish language versions coming soon)

Best,

-- JOHN

John Fisher
Director of Programs & Partnerships
831.471.7831
www.lifelab.org/john
Life Lab cultivates children's love of learning, healthy food, and nature through garden-based education.
Life Lab is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with locations in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, California

Amy Bowman

Jul 23, 2019, 1:55:17 PM7/23/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
Here is an example of a sign (Broccoli Fun Facts) that some schools use.  The QR code links to a Chatterbox video made by a 1st grader.  It is a great way to get informational signs in the garden and connect to curriculum using non-fiction standards as well as technology standards.  The actual sign is from Horticultural Marketplace and comes two to a page.  They are printer friendly and weather resistant, they come with a stake.  We also use these crop signs in our workshops, when we teach about plant spacing, the teachers can plant the signs and get an idea of square foot gardening and math standards that can be taught in the square foot garden.
garden crop signs
Broccoli Fun Facts

Allison Hyman

Jul 24, 2019, 4:18:57 PM7/24/19
to School Garden Support Organization Network
Hi Amy,

Google Chrome is blocking me from downloading your attachments. Could you email or share with Google Drive instead? arh...@cornell.edu

Thanks!

Amy Bowman

Jul 24, 2019, 4:27:10 PM7/24/19
to school-gar...@googlegroups.com
I emailed them to you let me know if you get them.  The broccoli one is a little smeared, we are having some printer issues.