Samvera Community Newsletter April 2022

Heather Greer Klein

Apr 5, 2022, 3:35:18 PM4/5/22
to samvera-...@googlegroups.com

Happy Spring! There is a lot happening in the Samvera Community, including a call for proposals for our virtual conference in May and a call for planning committee members for our in-person Samvera Connect 2022 conference in October!

In this issue:

  1. Save the Date for Samvera Connect 2022, in person at University of Notre Dame

  2. Call for Samvera Connect 2022 Planning Committee Volunteers

  3. Call for volunteers: Hyrax Technical Lead (reimbursement available) and Hyrax Product Owner

  4. Call for Proposals for Samvera Virtual Connect

  5. Samvera Community Guidelines -- draft posted for feedback

  6. In case you missed it - news round-up and job postings

1 – Save the Date for Samvera Connect 2022, in person at University of Notre Dame

Samvera Connect 2022 will be held October 24th - 27th, hosted by University of Notre Dame in Notre Dame, Indiana. The conference will include workshops and a Partner Meeting. Please hold the dates and feel free to share this information with others!

2 – Call for Samvera Connect 2022 Planning Committee Volunteers

The Connect Organizing Committee will decide the content of the conference, and we need volunteers from the Community for this important task.

The time commitment is expected to be a call every two or three weeks, becoming a little more frequent closer to the event. We would love to see volunteers from past committees who can provide experience and continuity, as well as new volunteers who can help us make this event approachable and valuable to the whole Community.

To volunteer please add your name to the list on the Samvera wiki or email hea...@samvera.org. Thank you for helping the Samvera Community plan a successful event!

3 – Call for volunteers: Hyrax Technical Lead (reimbursement available) and Hyrax Product Owner

The Samvera Board is seeking volunteers for the following roles:

1. Hyrax Technical Lead, minimum 25% FTE, starting as soon as possible for a term of 12 months

Please note that up to $45,000 of funding is available from Samvera to an institution that can allot an equivalent portion of staff time to this position. See the position description for this role and e-mail bo...@samvera.org to discuss or to indicate interest.

        2. Hyrax Product Owner, 25% FTE, starting in summer or fall of 2022 and running through October 2024

The Hyrax Product owner works with the Hyrax Technical Lead on planning Hyrax strategy and represents Hyrax on the Roadmaps Alignment Group. The Product Owner refines backlog, prioritizes stories and creates milestones for the Hyrax Maintenance Working Group, and facilitates the Hyrax Interest Group.

Julie Hardesty is currently the Product Owner for Hyrax, and would be happy to overlap with a new volunteer for a few months before her position in the role ends at the end of October 2022.

Please email bo...@samvera.org to discuss or to indicate interest in this role. Also, feel free to reach out to Julie at jlha...@iu.edu with any questions or concerns regarding the role and responsibilities.

The roles are open until filled.

4 – Call for Proposals for Samvera Virtual Connect

We are pleased to open the call for presentation proposals for Samvera Virtual Connect 2022!  Samvera Virtual Connect will be held May 4-5, 2022, from 11AM - 2PM Eastern time.

Samvera Virtual Connect provides the Samvera Community with a free, informal opportunity to share the work occurring in our institutions and via our collaborative efforts.  Virtual Connect occurs entirely online via Zoom webinar to a live audience across the globe, with presentations recorded for asynchronous viewing.

We’re looking for submissions from across the entire Samvera landscape, including both local development and community work.

This year’s Virtual Connect will have two days of programming, during which we’ll be coordinating presentations into thematic blocks based on topic, audience, and time.

To submit a proposal, please prepare the following:

  • Title

  • Abstract

  • Description of Intended Audience

  • Format (20 minute presentation, lightning talk < 10 minutes)

  • Date preference/availability

To submit your proposal:  https://forms.gle/k47vf7AjVtYUt74M7

Proposals are due Friday April 8th, 2022.

5 – Samvera Community Guidelines -- draft posted for feedback

A final piece of the Samvera Community Safety work initiated by the eponymous working group in 2021 was to draft, and ultimately release, a set of community guidelines to stand alongside the code of conduct and anti-harassment policy, We are ready to share the draft guidelines, now posted on the wiki here: https://samvera.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/samvera/pages/1947631640/Samvera+Community+Guidelines+DRAFT

The purpose of the guidelines is "to communicate your community’s values and culture to new and existing community members" (consultant Annalee Flower Horne). Samvera has had pieces of such guidelines, but early versions have been lost over time and existing pieces were due for review and refreshing.

We invite you to read these guidelines and provide any feedback using this Google form by April 15. The goal is to finalize and release the guidelines in early May.

6 – In case you missed it - news round-up

Heather
-----
Heather Greer Klein (she/her/hers)
Samvera Community Manager
Working from Durham, NC (US Eastern Time Zone), on land traditionally cared for by the Shakori and Eno peoples.