alt.arts.poetry.comments - 23 new messages in 7 topics - digest

alt.arts.poetry.comments group

Nov 18, 2009, 3:16:32 AM11/18/09
to alt.arts.poetry.comments digest subscribers

alt.arts.poetry.comments
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments?hl=en

alt.arts.poe...@googlegroups.com

Today's topics:

* Mind Games / Leisha Wharfield & George Dance - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/325d0963189f5b53?hl=en
* Some WalkaboutsVerse, etc. - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/9761691a391dd328?hl=en
* Amazing, scribbled poem - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/29aab8787858a2c2?hl=en
* Meat Plow's "copyright violation" - 12 messages, 7 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/4db59a7befe1fa52?hl=en
* Afterward, at Sodom - 6 messages, 3 authors
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/e4a3aa8dfef1c3e8?hl=en
* Flying Squirrel, Pennsylvania (Chapter 1) - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/b9216f543c2ea3f7?hl=en
* Del Ranch open mic Sundays - 1 messages, 1 author
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/5698cc151f1fcfcc?hl=en

TOPIC: Mind Games / Leisha Wharfield & George Dance
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/325d0963189f5b53?hl=en

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:40 pm
From: prettystuzz

In article
<bafb1a30-a529-4b32...@a31g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
George Dance <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 9:51 pm, Karla <karl...@NEVERcomcast.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:56:20 -0800 (PST), George Dance
> > <georgedanc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:

" " "

I have only the Revised Edition.

> > >I always have possible outs. I notice that the HoL definition gives,
> > >as its genus, 'verse form.' Does the book also define 'verse form' or
> > >'verse'?
> >
> > Yes, it does for verse. "Verse: is used in two senses (1) as a unit of
> > poetry, in which case it has the same significance as 'line'; and (2) as a
> > name given generally to metrical composition. In the second sense, 'verse'
> > is simply a generic term applied to rhythmical and, most frequently,
> > metrical and rhymed composition, the term poetry or poem being reserved
> > especially to indicate verse of high merit. An inherent suggestion that
> > verse is of a lower order than poetry lies in the fact that verse is used
> > in association with such terms as 'society verse', 'occasioinal verse',
> > etc., which it is generally conceded, are rarely applied to great poetry.
> > The use of verse to indicate a stanza, while common, is not justified."
> >

> I decided to see if I had any books on the subject, and found only my
> Coles Notes Dictionary of Literary Terms (Toronto: Coles, 2000). It
> says pretty much the same thing; it could have even been cribbed from
> the Handbook:
>
> "Verse: (1) A line of poetry. (2) A general term for metrical
> composition. (Poetry is usually reserved to indicate verse of high
> merit See Poetry.)" (213)

I can't decide which of you to send my tuition payments to.

Thrall and Hibbard and doubtless the other handbooks are school books.
I'll withhold payment until I know whether you think of poetry as a
school subject or a cultural activity.

I have M.H. Abrams's A Glossary of Literary Terms (based on the original
version by Dan S. Northon and Peters Rushton, and older than all of us).
As the entry word, Abrams spells it 'vilanelle' (and says "see Stanza"),
but in his glossing of stanza he spells it 'villanelle'. For 'Strophe'
he says "see Ode". I never, ever heard or saw 'strophe' used generically
until I saw it on these groups.

Peter Noone says "Second verse, same as the first".

Songs, id est, musical compositions, have verses. You can call the
verses in Rabbie Burns's songs stanzas or strophes; or you can elide him
from the literature anthologies that are required textbooks in schools;
or you can call Auld Lang Syne light verse or occasional verse.

Why are there still people here who want to make clear (or muddy)
distinctions between songs and poems, or 'song lyrics' and 'poetry'? I
know why. Who else knows why?

I didn't see 'critique' mentioned in my Thrall and Hibbard or in the
Abrams, or in Brooks and Warren. It's a co-opted New Age term of (cough)
art, its vogue sense probably aligning with the Human Potential Movement.

On the one hand there's poetry, on the other there's the boils on one's
asshole, as Robert Herrick said about his Heperides. And look again at
The Argument Of His Book:

I Sing of Brooks, of Blossomes, Birds, and Bowers:
Of April, May, of June, and July-Flowers.
I sing of May-poles, Hock-carts, Wassails, Wakes,
Of Bride-grooms, Brides and of their Bridall-cakes.
I write of Youth, of Love, and have Accesse
By these to sing of cleanly-Wantonnesse.
I sing of Dewes, of Raines, and piece by piece
Of Balme, of Oyle, of Spice and Amber-Greece.
I sing of Times trans-shifting, and I write
How Roses first came Red and Lilies White. [1]
I write of Groves, of Twilights, and I sing
The Court of Mab, and of the Fairie-King.
I write of Hell; I sing (and ever shall)
Of Heaven, and hope to have it after all. [2]

[1] I love writers who think of the names of colors as nouns.

[2] Isn't it cool how Herrick uses 'all' here, definitely not as
Jonson's noun usage in 'All is not sweet, all is not sound'?

The author of the captioning for this probably isn't a native-English
speaker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTQA6bOiHkE

TOPIC: Some WalkaboutsVerse, etc.

Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 1:34 am
From: walkaboutsverse

In North East England...

Poem 197 of 230: HISTORIC HEXHAM – AUTUMN 2002

All hay was made,
And the sun stayed,
The autumn day
I made my way,
Via Heddon,
To old Hexham,
Where I did see:
The fine abbey,
The ex-gaol
By the moot-hall,
Plus, holding sports
Of varied sorts,
The Tynedale
And the Seal.

From http://blogs.myspace.com/walkaboutsverse (e-book)
Or http://walkaboutsverse.sitegoz.com (e-scroll)
(C) David Franks 2003

On Nov 16, 10:09 am, walkaboutsverse <david1fra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> At the bold age of twenty-one
>     (Via Hong Kong, China, Macau),
> I flew from Sydney to London -
>     Land’s End to John o’ Groats my vow.
>
> I took a train out of London,
>     Found a highway and thumbed a ride;
> I headed down toward Brighton,
>     Then hitch-hiked roads the coast beside.
>
> On the face of my shoulder bag,
> A sketched map of Aus. was my tag;
> For said a Scot who’d hitched Europe:
> “Some emblem may well boost your hope.”
>
> And drivers throughout the island,
> Over a two month riding span,
> Were the kindest folks I have met -
> I swear not once did I get wet!
>
> I stopped overnight in Portsmouth,
>     And one or two nights in Torquay;
> Then headed along to Plymouth -
>     Still travelling beside the sea.
>
> After viewing rugged Land’s End,
>     I began the long journey north -
> North-east, rather, before a bend,
>     Somewhere in a bit from Bournemouth.
>
> On the way, I saw relatives,
> Whom after leaving I did miss -
> Their homes’ cosy atmosphere,
> And their local pubs’ good cheer.
>
> And the hitched-lifts came from many:
> An off-work Bobbie, a truckie,
> As well as on-duty soldiers -
> Thanks, and I’ve not said where each was!
>
> I headed west through South Wales,
>     And viewed Cardiff Arms from afar -
> I was hitching with local males,
>     And they showed me from in the car.
>
> I stayed a while at Swansea -
>     Saw the local footballers play;
> Then hitched north through Llandovery -
>     Beautiful farmland, I must say.
>
> I slept mostly in B. & B’s,
> Where the full breakfasts sure did please;
> But also stopped in Youth Hostels,
> Where it’s the comradeship that tells.
>
> My favourite sites were Torquay,
> Old St. Andrews (noted shortly),
> The road Glasgow-to-Inverness,
> The Lakes, plus London’s spots, no less.
>
> From Colwyn Bay, I headed east
>     To Manchester, my place of birth;
> Then on the Lakes my eyes did feast,
>     Before I passed by Solway Firth.
>
> Onto Edinburgh, Glasgow,
>     St. Andrews, before Inverness;
> Then waves from locals were the go -
>     Warm folks round John o’ Groats, I’d guess.
>
> Fromhttp://blogs.myspace.com/walkaboutsverse(e-book)
> Orhttp://walkaboutsverse.sitegoz.com(e-scroll)
> (C) David Franks 2003
>
> On Nov 15, 10:18 am, walkaboutsverse <david1fra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > After a stormy Saturday here in England, it's much calmer in Newcastle
> > upon Tyne today...
>
> > Poem 179 of 230: A GLASSY TYNE - AUTUMN 2001
>
> > Near glassy-classical new Law Courts,
> >     From the snazzy Millennium Footbridge,
> > Reflecting fine bridges of other sorts -
> >     A glassy Tyne's snazzy sunset image.
>
> > Fromhttp://blogs.myspace.com/walkaboutsverse(e-book)
> > Orhttp://walkaboutsverse.sitegoz.com(e-scroll)
> > (C) David Franks 2003
>
> > On Nov 14, 12:13 pm, walkaboutsverse <david1fra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hardly seaside weather today in England, but...
>
> > > Poem 120 of 230:  A GOOD SEASIDE DAY - AUTUMN 2000

TOPIC: Amazing, scribbled poem

Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 9:40 am
From: "transkawa"

Amazing

Kindly was read the script
of treasures and men strewn ashore
conquering the pavement with steps
who made giants seem asleep.

Mild and gentle was the code
a line here and there of braces
how bravely they threw sparks, our
eyes shone with a million gems.

But the barnyard, places of repose
was where we brew the maps
a light for nations to our shops
Amazon! kindly kindly read the scrpt.

###
dying for comments. just scribbled. yesterday.
nd

TOPIC: Meat Plow's "copyright violation"
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/4db59a7befe1fa52?hl=en

== 1 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 11:03 am
From: Azz Pizz

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:45:52 -0800 (PST), G&tSP wrote:

> the reasoning of you and your k0oKfrendz, that makes you a "copyright
> violator," don't you?

The name "Meat Plow" is a copyright violation of the Stone Temple Pilots.

--

Azz Pizz Institute
The OFFICIAL Verbal Diarrhea Think Tank (tm)

== 2 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 11:10 am
From: Meat Plow

<gan...@yahoo.ca>wrote:

>Hey[SLAP]

Fuck off Georgie-boi I do what I want without explanation to anyone
especially sniveling little snotlipped douchebags like you.

== 3 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 11:31 am
From: Meat Plow

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:00:41 -0800 (PST), "G&tSP"
<gan...@yahoo.ca>wrote:

>On Nov 16, 9:46?pm, Russell B. Walters <Ev...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:45:52 -0800 (PST), "G&tSP" <gand...@yahoo.ca>
>> wrote:

>> >From: Meat Plow <m...@petitmorte.net>
>> >Newsgroups:
>> >alabama.general,alt.music.country,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.music.makers,rec.arts.poems,rec.arts.poems,us.arts.poetry,alt.arts.poetry.urban,alt.poetry
>> >Subject: Chuck Lysaght Rape Poetry (was Re: j r sherman
>> >Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:41:49 -0500

>> >Plus it's a cool way to draw the heat away from the babysitter rape
>> >fantasy poem he created. You know this one titled Perfect Angel.
>>
>> >Perfect Angel by 'a middle aged' Chuck Lysaght AKA
>> ><the messenjah theguyontheb...@veryfast.biz>
>> ><http://www.kookpedia.net/index.php/Chuck_Lysaght>
>> ><http://www.myspace.com/chucklysaght>

>> >Hey, Meat Puppet, you realize that you just "published" Chuck's poem
>> >to usenet without his permission, don't you? You do realize that, by
>> >the reasoning of you and your k0oKfrendz, that makes you a "copyright
>> >violator," don't you?
>>
>> >Or are you just too supid to remember how you K0Oked out about that
>> >mere days ago on the same poetry groups?
>>
>> Jingle bells
>> Jingle bells
>> Jingle all the way
>>
>> Now sue me ya fuckwit.
>
>Relax, Rusty; Meat Pie can't sue you for "copyright violation". For
>one thing, he didn't write Jingle Bells. For another, he's never
>written anything else, either.

Ah poor wittle georgie-boi gotta spanky spanky and now he's gunna cry.

......heh

== 4 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 12:52 pm
From: Will Dockery

On Nov 17, 2:03 pm, Azz Pizz <penac...@yomomma.hot.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:45:52 -0800 (PST), G&tSP wrote:
> > the reasoning of you and your k0oKfrendz, that makes you a "copyright
> > violator," don't you?
>
> The name "Meat Plow" is a copyright violation of the Stone Temple Pilots.

Well, they can't copyright a name or a title... they could have
trademarked it, though...

--
"Red Lipped Stranger & other stories" by Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery

> --
>
> Azz Pizz Institute
> The OFFICIAL Verbal Diarrhea Think Tank (tm)
> Washington, DC

== 5 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 1:11 pm
From: "\"The Great One\""

"Meat Plow" <me...@petitmorte.net> wrote in message news:39rj7b.r...@news.alt.net...
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:00:41 -0800 (PST), "G&tSP"
> <gan...@yahoo.ca>wrote:
>
> >On Nov 16, 9:46?pm, Russell B. Walters <Ev...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> Jingle bells
> >> Jingle bells
> >> Jingle all the way
> >>
> >> Now sue me ya fuckwit.
> >
> >Relax, Rusty; Meat Pie can't sue you for "copyright violation". For
> >one thing, he didn't write Jingle Bells. For another, he's never
> >written anything else, either.
>
> Ah poor wittle georgie-boi gotta spanky spanky and now he's gunna cry.
>
> ......heh

Meat Plow, you're an Idiot !!
--
HJ

== 6 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 2:27 pm
From: "G&tSP"

On Nov 17, 4:11 pm, "\"The Great One\"" <honestj...@centurytel.net>
wrote:
> "Meat Plow" <m...@petitmorte.net> wrote in messagenews:39rj7b.r...@news.alt.net...
> > On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:00:41 -0800 (PST), "G&tSP"
> > <gand...@yahoo.ca>wrote:

> > >Relax, Rusty; Meat Pie can't sue you for "copyright violation". For
> > >one thing, he didn't write Jingle Bells. For another, he's never
> > >written anything else, either.
>
> > gotta spanky spanky
> > and now gunna cry.
>
> Meat Plow, you're an Idiot !!
> --
> HJ

Maybe he can plead the "Twinkie Defense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense

== 7 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 3:24 pm
From: "\"The Great One\""

wrote:
> "Meat Plow" <m...@petitmorte.net> wrote in messagenews:39rj7b.r...@news.alt.net...
> > On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:00:41 -0800 (PST), "G&tSP"
> > <gand...@yahoo.ca>wrote:

> > >Relax, Rusty; Meat Pie can't sue you for "copyright violation". For
> > >one thing, he didn't write Jingle Bells. For another, he's never
> > >written anything else, either.
>
> > gotta spanky spanky
> > and now gunna cry.
>
> Meat Plow, you're an Idiot !!
> --
> HJ

Maybe he can plead the "Twinkie Defense."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense
~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~

LOL....Good One !!
--
John C.

== 8 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 3:53 pm
From: Will Dockery

On Nov 17, 2:10 pm, Meat Plow <m...@petitmorte.net> wrote:

> I do what I want without explanation to anyone

Makes sense.

--
"Red Lipped Stranger & other stories" by Will Dockery:
http://www.myspace.com/willdockery

== 9 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 4:28 pm
From: AzzMazta

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:52:36 -0800 (PST), Will Dockery wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2:03 pm, Azz Pizz <penac...@yomomma.hot.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> The name "Meat Plow" is a copyright violation of the Stone Temple Pilots.
>
> Well, they can't copyright a name or a title... they could have
> trademarked it, though...

JOKE

(this is my new alias, same e-mail address)

--

AzzMazta

== 10 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 10:44 pm
From: "Orson Wells as CitizenCain"

Overweight racist and permanent pizza putz "Russell B. Walters"

Rusty you always were an idiot.

== 11 of 12 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 10:48 pm
From: "Orson Wells as CitizenCain"

"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 17, 2:03 pm, Azz Pizz <penac...@yomomma.hot.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:45:52 -0800 (PST), G&tSP wrote:
> > the reasoning of you and your k0oKfrendz, that makes you a "copyright
> > violator," don't you?
>
> The name "Meat Plow" is a copyright violation of the Stone Temple Pilots.

Well, they can't copyright a name or a title... they could have
trademarked it, though...

someone should copyright 'will dockery' and sue the hell out of you

== 12 of 12 ==
Date: Wed, Nov 18 2009 12:00 am
From: Fred Hall

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:44:37 -0500, "Orson Wells as CitizenCain"
<noe...@here.invalidd> wrote:

>idiot.

How many accounts did you have shot out from under you, Dink?

For a midget net-stalker like you to accuse Waters of anything is one
of those PeeKayBee kinda thangs, don't you think?

Well, I know you don't think, but I'm sure you can see where I'm going
with this. The only difference between you and E-Mutt is that he went
to the pen, you were allowed to roam free.

HTH
--

Lits Slut#10
Usenet Ruiner #3

TOPIC: Afterward, at Sodom
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/t/e4a3aa8dfef1c3e8?hl=en

== 1 of 6 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 3:51 pm
From: Olivia

Afterward, at Sodom

Salt on my cheeks, and taste of salt
on lips carved open
as though in a single cry

as stilled as stone or ice,
my vision terribly
caught in a dream with no waking.

Love, I stand on bitter ground
in a broken land,
nor know why you have fled from me.

Let me wholly melt in my tears,
dissolve into this earth.
Let it be holy ground, never to flower.

== 2 of 6 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 7:38 pm
From: Id...@webtv.net (Idi ta)

Date: Tue, Nov 17, 2009, 3:51pm From: ty...@gmail.com (Olivia)

>Salt on my cheeks, and taste of salt
>on lips carved open
>as though in a single cry

>as stilled as stone or ice,
>my vision terribly
>caught in a dream with no waking.

>Love, I stand on bitter ground
>in a broken land,
>nor know why you have fled from me.

>Let me wholly melt in my tears,
>dissolve into this earth.
>Let it be holy ground, never to flower.

Enjoyed this.

Does it pivot on Lot's wife, or that which she is forbidden to observe?
I don't mind that you don't need to mind the story's template, and have
made a reversal, but there's an emotional circuit that must be lucid and
complete to justify "tears". Make the reversal complete.

== 3 of 6 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 7:49 pm
From: "azzMATTick"

"Olivia" <ty...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Afterward, at Sodom
>

> Salt on my cheeks, and taste of salt
> on lips carved open
> as though in a single cry
>
> as stilled as stone or ice,
> my vision terribly
> caught in a dream with no waking.
>
> Love, I stand on bitter ground
> in a broken land,
> nor know why you have fled from me.
>
> Let me wholly melt in my tears,
> dissolve into this earth.
> Let it be holy ground, never to flower.

and let my ass cheeks be dried
from the thousand cries i've
endured from Uranus whose clouds now rain
another thousand goodbye tears-
each one reflecting the "wet sun"
that will only set when you are gone, gomorrah.

azzMATTick

== 4 of 6 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 10:20 pm
From: Olivia

Idi ta wrote:

> Date: Tue, Nov 17, 2009, 3:51pm From: ty...@gmail.com (Olivia)
>

>> Salt on my cheeks, and taste of salt
>> on lips carved open
>> as though in a single cry
>
>> as stilled as stone or ice,
>> my vision terribly
>> caught in a dream with no waking.
>
>> Love, I stand on bitter ground
>> in a broken land,
>> nor know why you have fled from me.
>
>> Let me wholly melt in my tears,
>> dissolve into this earth.
>> Let it be holy ground, never to flower.
>

> Enjoyed this.
>
> Does it pivot on Lot's wife, or that which she is forbidden to observe?
> I don't mind that you don't need to mind the story's template, and have
> made a reversal, but there's an emotional circuit that must be lucid and
> complete to justify "tears". Make the reversal complete.
>

> Idi ta, thank you for commenting! I'm not sure what you mean by
"a reversal," if you would care to explain --- just imagined Lot's wife
remaining conscious enough to know that she has been stilled and that
Lot has deserted her, without her knowing why. Anything is possible in
such a magical punishment, even salty tears!

> Olivia

== 5 of 6 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 10:37 pm
From: Olivia

azzMATTick wrote:
> "Olivia" <ty...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Afterward, at Sodom
>>

>> Salt on my cheeks, and taste of salt
>> on lips carved open
>> as though in a single cry
>>
>> as stilled as stone or ice,
>> my vision terribly
>> caught in a dream with no waking.
>>
>> Love, I stand on bitter ground
>> in a broken land,
>> nor know why you have fled from me.
>>
>> Let me wholly melt in my tears,
>> dissolve into this earth.
>> Let it be holy ground, never to flower.
>

> and let my ass cheeks be dried
> from the thousand cries i've
> endured from Uranus whose clouds now rain
> another thousand goodbye tears-
> each one reflecting the "wet sun"
> that will only set when you are gone, gomorrah.
>
> azzMATTick

Hi, this sounds like part of a longer poem that I'm not familiar with.
The last line resonates as true poetry--love it!

Olivia

== 6 of 6 ==
Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 10:50 pm
From: Olivia

Olivia wrote:
> Idi ta wrote:
>>

>> Date: Tue, Nov 17, 2009, 3:51pm From: ty...@gmail.com (Olivia)
>>

>>> Salt on my cheeks, and taste of salt
>>> on lips carved open
>>> as though in a single cry
>>
>>> as stilled as stone or ice,
>>> my vision terribly
>>> caught in a dream with no waking.
>>
>>> Love, I stand on bitter ground
>>> in a broken land,
>>> nor know why you have fled from me.
>>
>>> Let me wholly melt in my tears,
>>> dissolve into this earth.
>>> Let it be holy ground, never to flower.
>>

>> Enjoyed this.
>>
>> Does it pivot on Lot's wife, or that which she is forbidden to observe?
>> I don't mind that you don't need to mind the story's template, and have
>> made a reversal, but there's an emotional circuit that must be lucid and
>> complete to justify "tears". Make the reversal complete.
>>

>> Idi ta, thank you for commenting! I'm not sure what you mean by
> "a reversal," if you would care to explain --- just imagined Lot's wife
> remaining conscious enough to know that she has been stilled and that
> Lot has deserted her, without her knowing why. Anything is possible in
> such a magical punishment, even salty tears!
>
>> Olivia
>>

>>P.S. Not sure why my posting is all over the page. The computer did it!

TOPIC: Flying Squirrel, Pennsylvania (Chapter 1)

Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 4:54 pm
From: AzzMazta

Flying Squirrel, Pennsylvania

Valerie wanted to try out for basketball. Yes, basketball. And not be
segregated into a "girl's team", or be a cheerleader. Unfortunately, this
town was not very tolerant.
A suburb of Pittsburgh, Flying Squirrel was frequently marketed by
crooked real estate companies as a paradise, filled with trees, rivers,
lakes, and friendly neighbors.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Flying Squirrel was a
cleverly-spaced chain of suburbs, with a lake and a filthy park here and
there. Parents, children, and neighbors hated each other. Drugs, crime,
DUI, vandalism, and much more were prevalent. And given the town's taxation
system, there was no ticket out of Flying Squirrel without a winning
lottery number on it.
Why? The town government was run by the Squirrel Real Estate Trust.
The town WAS the Squirrel Real Estate Trust. Everyone who moved to Flying
Squirrel had to sign a contract which allowed for an additional variable
tax on top of existing state taxes. This tax, billed monthly, could be
changed at the Trust's whim without notice. To give the town a false
appearance, these contracts were usually signed in the better-looking
suburbs.
As the Trust wanted more and more people to tax, any attempt to leave
the town resulted in an extremely high "tax" on the household for the
following month or two.
And where was the State of Pennsylvania, or the United States federal
government, in policing this? The truth was that nobody gave a rat's ass
about Flying Squirrel. Pennsylvania was a blue state, and Flying Squirrel
was a Republican town. Regardless, representatives in both political
parties were former employees of the Trust. "Former" meaning resigning just
before the election, with the losers rehired by the following week. The
Libertarians, Greens, Socialists, and everyone else were always defeated,
with the election results never publicly questioned. As for the federal
government, there's always something more important to worry about than a
small Pennsylvania town's local small business sector. (A town that was
founded in 1921?)
Valerie was told that in order to be accepted into basketball tryouts,
she had to roam the streets and check every house for "the one person"
capable in Flying Squirrel of reciting 17 digits of Pi from memory upon
asking. Valerie knew this was total crap, since every resident of the town
is stupid. The schools keep it that way, as any authority in the American
education system knows, an active, rational, and skeptical mind is a threat
to the Establishment what/whoever it might be.
Valerie had checked 41 houses and had no intention of stopping. She
figured that if she made news headlines, the Daily Squirrel would focus
on this sexist behavior. Yeah, right. Go back three paragraphs.
It was getting late. She didn't care. Number 42. Knock, knock, knock.
A door opened. It was Biff, a friend she knew from school, and the first
person under the age of 24 she found. "What are you doing here?" he asked
in a slightly angry tone.
"Umm, Biff, hi. You're pretty smart, can you tell me 17 digits of Pi
from memory right now?"
Biff sighed. "Valerie, you have stumbled across a secret you may
not be able to handle. You must come inside right now."
"Biff, listen. I've gotta go. I know you, so could you please just
look it up on the Internet and lie for me to Coach Gilbert?"
"Valerie, you must come inside! Now!"
Valerie was shocked at how Biff was acting. "I'll do anything, Biff, I
swear, PLEASE just help me out. You're a good friend. Please?"
But Biff didn't have the same "anything" in mind that Valerie did.
"You'll do anything? Then come inside right now."

(t.b.c.)

--

AzzMazta

TOPIC: Del Ranch open mic Sundays

Date: Tues, Nov 17 2009 6:29 pm
From: "Orson Wells as CitizenCain"

> Del Ranch open mic Sundays
> Hosted by Henry Conley
> Type: Music/Arts - Jam Session
> Network: Global
> Start Time: Sunday, November 15, 2009 at 8:05pm
> End Time: Monday, November 16, 2009 at 12:05am
> Location: Del Ranch Restaurant & Lounge
> Location after Will Dockery "performs": The nearest dumpster, toilet or
> potted plant

To change the way you get mail from this group, visit:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/subscribe?hl=en

To report abuse, send email explaining the problem to ab...@googlegroups.com

Google Groups: http://groups.google.com/?hl=en