A relook at our specimens of Urtica parviflora

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 9, 2014, 3:44:56 AM2/9/14
to efloraofindia
Dear friends
Visiting different areas in Western Himalayas I have often been confused with specimens with connate stipules mostly reported as U. parviflora Roxb (leaving aside U. hyperborea depicted on Flowers of India courtesy Prashant ji, a species growing in Ladakh and other places above altitudes of 3000 m), with some specimens very sparsely hairy with slender stinging hairs and other very densely hairy with robust stinging hairs. The confusion was confounded by treatment in eFlora of Pakistan and Enumeration of Flowering Plants of Nepal which consider U. parviflora as simple synonym of U. ardens Link.
    Perhaps this confusion of mine was solved by treatment in eFlora of China which considers U. parviflora Roxb. and U. ardens link as distinct species and not synonyms, and both occurring in N W. India, Nepal and Sikkim. The two species are easily differentiated as under:

U. ardens: Stipules rounded at tip; leaf blade ovate to lanceolate, surface wrinkled especially when dry; margin sharply doubly serrulate; stem with numerous stinging hairs.

U. parviflora: Stipules slightly cleft or retuse at tip; leaf blade lanceolate or narrowly ovate; nearly smooth especially when dry, margin crenate or inconspicuously double-denticulate or serrulate; stem with few stinging hairs.

With this background my specimen at Flowers of India as U. ardens seems to be perfectly cited along with synonyms

as also following on our website (although synonym U. parviflora Roxb. in wrongly placed).

My mail discussing U. parviflora from Manali obviously is U. ardens

Same is true of following uploaded by Balkar ji from Chakrata which is U. ardens

Same is case with U. parviflora uploaded by Prashant ji from Joshimath. It is also U. ardens.

The question is what about real U. parviflora Roxb., it seems not presently represented in our database but after scrutiny of my photographs I could dig out the following as representing U. parviflora. Slightly parted stipules, sparsely hairy softer hairs and narrow leaves are easily seen.

Your valued comments please

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
Urtica-parviflora-Garjia temple-Jimcorbett-IMG_9355-Jim corbett-1.jpg
Urtica-parviflora-Near Dakpathar towards Chakrata-DSC09589-Dakpathar.jpg
Urtica-parviflora-Near Dakpathar towards Chakrata-DSC09590-Dakpathar.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 16, 2014, 1:00:47 AM2/16/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (around 2250 members & 1,80,700 messages on 31/1/14) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 9000 species & 1,80, 000 images).
Urtica-parviflora-Garjia temple-Jimcorbett-IMG_9355-Jim corbett-1.jpg
Urtica-parviflora-Near Dakpathar towards Chakrata-DSC09589-Dakpathar.jpg
Urtica-parviflora-Near Dakpathar towards Chakrata-DSC09590-Dakpathar.jpg

J.M. Garg

Feb 23, 2014, 3:40:11 AM2/23/14
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Urtica-parviflora-Garjia temple-Jimcorbett-IMG_9355-Jim corbett-1.jpg
Urtica-parviflora-Near Dakpathar towards Chakrata-DSC09589-Dakpathar.jpg
Urtica-parviflora-Near Dakpathar towards Chakrata-DSC09590-Dakpathar.jpg

Tabish

Aug 4, 2023, 3:05:24 AM8/4/23
to eFloraofIndia
See the attached 2017 paper. I think the two distinct species are Urtica parviflora (Syn: Urtica ardens) and Urtica himalayensis. The plant by Gurcharan ji in this post fits Urtica parviflora , and the one with more rounded leaves and prominently double-toothed margins should be Urtica himalayensis. Compare with the images in the paper. POWO still treats U. ardens as an accepted name and U. parviflora as synonym based on the Flora of Pakistan, which is quite outdated. I think one should follow the names in this 2017 paper.
   Regards
   Tabish
Urtica-becker2017.pdf

J.M. Garg

Aug 14, 2023, 12:27:14 PM8/14/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, GurcharanSingh, Tabish
Thanks, Tabish ji

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 26, 2023, 10:36:13 PM8/26/23
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks Tabish ji, this paper solves our problems especially this statement  "The taxon considered as U. ardens in Chen et al. (2003) therefore has to be correctly called U. himalayensis", especially when U. himalayensis is placed as synonym of U. ardens in Flora of china. We also know now U. ardens Link is synonym of U. parviflora, but not our specimens and those understood by Flora of China, which should go to U. himalayensis, double serrations, longer teeth and mostly cordate leaf base is diagnostic.

Tabish

Aug 27, 2023, 12:09:11 AM8/27/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Gurcharan ji,
   Thank you for scrutinizing all the plants posted in our databases in the light of this paper.
   Tabish