web2py and python3

Jim Gregory

Nov 4, 2015, 7:25:40 AM11/4/15
to web2py-users
I know this has come up in the past, but it hasn't been asked in a while.

Is there ever going to be a usable and maintained Python3-compatible fork of web2py?

The latest edition of Fedora now ships with Python3 by default. It's the default version used in Django's tutorial.

I'm not using Python3 now, but I can see the day when I inevitably will. I don't want to invest the time in a framework if I know I'll have to abandon it later.

Massimo Di Pierro

Nov 4, 2015, 9:38:37 AM11/4/15
to web2py-users
There will be a new framework similar to web2py for python 3. web2py has to be backward compatible and it is pointless to port it to python 3.

António Ramos

Nov 4, 2015, 10:37:56 AM11/4/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
@massimo
When will it be available ?

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Alex

Nov 6, 2015, 5:57:33 PM11/6/15
to web2py-users
web2py for python 3 would be great. I hope it comes rather sooner than later. I'd love to use python 3, no more str <-> unicode nonsense (which already caused many issues and wasted time for me), type hints (seems to have good support in PyCharm) and other new features. I think the current situation could also scare away potential new users when they see that web2py does not support python 3.

pyDAL seems to be already compatible with python 3. Is it not possible to make the remaining parts also compatible or are there completely new concepts planned? I for one would completely remove the FORM code - it's nice and easy to get something up and running but difficult to style (no clear separation of backend/frontend) and extend. I'm using knockout (I guess any data binding js lib will do fine) which is very flexible and easy to understand. That should be the preferred way to do forms and recommended in the book. But that's just my opinion. No more FORM would mean less code to port to python 3 ;)

Alex

Anthony

Nov 6, 2015, 6:13:50 PM11/6/15
to web2py-users
I for one would completely remove the FORM code - it's nice and easy to get something up and running but difficult to style (no clear separation of backend/frontend) and extend.

Note, you can still use the back end processing without using the front end, as long as you include the hidden _formname and _formkey fields (if you want CSRF protection).

Anthony

Remco Boerma

Nov 9, 2015, 2:36:40 AM11/9/15
to web2py-users
Great one Alex.

While searching for web2py and python3 the first result i got was this

Hi...I m total beginner in python with elastic search also Unicode ... I am looking for a wonderful framework & was keen on web2py..but just happened to read that its not compatible with python 3..

Pl guide me abt this issue & in selecting framework

With regards to all,

I've been asked to start a new internship-company for a project i'm involved in. And I so want to take those boys and girls on the web2py path, but to ask of those new-to-the-market to invest in a legacy language (2020 is only 4 years from now) is something that feels odd to me. Especially since i know the power and grace of web2py.

I know the subject has been debated and debated but for the sake of these students (and these are not the high university kind, but rather the ground-work and getting-stuff-done folks) i would kindly ask to take the future into consideration as well as our marketing because web2py is simply droped out of the equation because of py2. I would love to teach those kids web2py and be future proof. Many schools already teach things from a hundred years ago, let's not do that in IT as well.

Thank your for considering.

Dave S

Nov 9, 2015, 2:07:04 PM11/9/15
to web2py-users
On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 11:36:40 PM UTC-8, Remco Boerma wrote:

Many schools already teach things from a hundred years ago, let's not do that in IT as well.

Ah, well, General Relativity is 100 years old.  Special Relativity (including E=MC^2) is slightly older.

(Read that as humor, please.  I do understand the issue of Fortran IV, but couldn't resist the opportunity.)

/dps

Massimo Di Pierro

Nov 11, 2015, 10:21:18 AM11/11/15
to web2py-users
As of today python 3 is used almost exclusively in schools. Do you know of any large company that uses Python 3? I do not. But I know many large companies that use Python 2, including banks.

António Ramos

Nov 11, 2015, 10:34:41 AM11/11/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
What banks? can you share that info ?

Massimo Di Pierro

Nov 12, 2015, 7:41:49 PM11/12/15
to web2py-users
I do not think it is a secret. As far as I know the security pricing infrastructure of Bank of America is based on proprietary object database built in Python and the JP Morgan Chase has been working for some time on an internal trading platform based on Python (do not know if it is in use at this time). Also I have consulted with some local trading companies in Chicago that use Python+pytable+numpy+hdf5.

In fact a friend told me Bank of America uses web2py too although not for business critical apps where they use proprietary code, but for interfacing some of their Air Conditioning systems. I have been unable to verify this information. I know other banks or large financial institutions that also use web2py for some of internal non-business critical development.

Massimo
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to web2py+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Jim S

Nov 13, 2015, 12:49:13 PM11/13/15
to web2py-users
What are the chances that weppy (www.weppy.org) becomes the Python 3 version of web2py?

I'm working with the newly available, officially supported Python implementation on IBM i (formerly AS/400) and it is Python version 3.4 so web2py isn't an option for me.  Is there any news or direction for people forced to use Python 3?  I really don't want to give up my web2py knowledge and move to another framework.  The other big guns (django, flask, bottle, pyramid) all have Python 3 versions.

Thoughts?

-Jim

António Ramos

Nov 14, 2015, 5:24:30 PM11/14/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
weppy looks like a short webp2y environment, however lacks some good documentation like web2py and all of the code samples are very short and errors come often.
Seems that the only one helping is the "creator" itself.
Unfortunately i dont see it as a good alternative to web2py.

At least web2py has a lot of people helping everybody.

Paolo Valleri

Nov 16, 2015, 2:48:46 PM11/16/15
to web2py-users
Just to understand what we are talking about, which are the main issues in porting web2py on python 3.x ?

Paolo

Stuart Rolinson

Nov 16, 2015, 4:13:47 PM11/16/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to add to this discussion as well.  I think that developing with python 2.7 and web2py has been fine, however I have been really concerned as my application gets bigger that we are going to have to migrate to a .net or java based solution in the future.  The more I develop, the more I worry about the amount of re-work I am creating for myself in the future.  I would feel better about my decision to choose web2py if this supported the current version of the product.

I am not sure my Python abilities are good enough yet to be heavily involved in a conversion from 2.7 - 3.5, but I would be happy to help where I can once my current project is implemented.

Richard Vézina

Nov 16, 2015, 4:38:48 PM11/16/15
to web2py-users
I would like to suggest a way to get out of these recurrent discussions...

Why not adopt some guidance around the issue... I think the heart of the problem here is that not knowing what is coming or not make people insecure about the future of what is built (or could be build) with web2py. It may be true that no big corporate are not using Python 3 at the moment, though distros have already started sending the message that Python 3 is coming... To my knowledge, since 3.4 Python 3 is consider to be ready for real work...

So, maybe we could write a section in the book about web2py and Python 3 support, if the book is not the place we can put a text file in github somewhere in web2py about that and maybe a TODO-List of what is need to be done... Or a Roadmap on the web2py Web site... There is plenty of options to document out this "issue" and what is know about it and what is the heart of this issue... Also, if web2py will have to break it promise for backward compatibility or not and if it breaks it what work to expect in our apps to make them work in "web3py", etc.

There is many threads on the mailing-lists... A good start could be to retrieve them and read them to extract the important things??

Like that when the question pop again we can redirect people to the Documentation/Roadmap and they can make a better informed decision about using web2py or not, waiting for Python 3 support by web2py or not, etc.

Thanks, regards

Richard

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Stuart Rolinson <stu...@eventsense.net> wrote:
I wanted to add to this discussion as well.  I think that developing with python 2.7 and web2py has been fine, however I have been really concerned as my application gets bigger that we are going to have to migrate to a .net or java based solution in the future.  The more I develop, the more I worry about the amount of re-work I am creating for myself in the future.  I would feel better about my decision to choose web2py if this supported the current version of the product.

I am not sure my Python abilities are good enough yet to be heavily involved in a conversion from 2.7 - 3.5, but I would be happy to help where I can once my current project is implemented.

Jim S

Nov 16, 2015, 4:45:05 PM11/16/15
to web2py-users
+1

Richard Vézina

Nov 16, 2015, 8:54:01 PM11/16/15
to web2py-users

Paolo Valleri

Nov 17, 2015, 1:30:07 AM11/17/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
Maintaining web2py is not easy at all, how/who will maintain two web2py/web3py? I see this as the major issue
The old discussions were about the whole web2py, now there is pydal already working on python 3.x.

Having a roadmap is a good way to proceed and surely github wiki is the place where document it.
Two things to discuss:
- will be backward compatibility?
- will be a new project (web3py), or not(web2py)?
Today, I'd say, yes to first, no to the second, but we should start working on the porting and see later what will happen

The first step of the roadmap is writing the roadmap :0
The second making web2py "syntactically" compatible with python 3.x
Who want to start?

 Paolo

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "web2py-users" group.

Richard Vézina

Nov 18, 2015, 9:11:16 AM11/18/15
to web2py-users
I agree that we should keep the name... It really difficult to explain that it the same thing if the name change...

Richard

p a

Nov 18, 2015, 5:09:45 PM11/18/15
to web2py-users
I like the idea of a new framework, using python 3 but that's not the most important. These days if we want to attract developers to our projects we also need to have an API, and separated front end and back end. web2py is great for the backend. The DAL is fantastic, and every time I get close to an ORM I appreciate it even more. After trying out ractive for myself, I really like Massimo's idea of integrating web2py and ractive.
So I would love to see a new framework, if we can work on a clear upgrade path that would take existing web2py apps to the new framework. It's much easier to port a web app than a framework, on which many web apps rely. I think we should release the web2py dev team from the chains of backwards compatibility once every few years. If there is a new framework based on the DAL and the other good stuff from web2py, but also using ractive and other technologies and good ideas suggested on this list, then porting our web apps would take a reasonable effort, and it would be well worth it.

Dave S

Nov 18, 2015, 6:08:09 PM11/18/15
to web2py-users

On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 2:09:45 PM UTC-8, p a wrote:
[...]

Maybe call it web2py-R ?

/dps "only half in jest"

Richard Vézina

Nov 18, 2015, 8:22:52 PM11/18/15
to web2py-users
What about a relax about backward compatibility with web2py 3.0?

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Nov 19, 2015, 1:11:41 AM11/19/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I think that backward compatibility, when we look it from the distance, is more a bug that a feature.

Let me explain before they fall on me like wolves...

In my opinion, the backward compatibility restricts innovation, because we do not know what will happen within the next five years, and the new way to go can be difficult or impossible (I mean with impossible not feasible) to adapt. The other thing is that with the time, there is lot of old code making the framework bigger, slower, and harder to maintain.

With this I dont say that we need to change things every week, is very good always work thinking in backward compatibility, but can not be a straitjacket.

But that's just my opinion.

Greetings.

PD: I can take to write because I'll be out most of the time the next two weeks.

Alessio Varalta

Nov 19, 2015, 8:39:47 AM11/19/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I think that for the programmer is not so important the version..always if the last is not too old..Python 2.7 is not too old but the problem that i see is that there is a good guide and good forum..web2py have many good features, but the real problem that I find( I am a web2py developer from 5 months) is that there are low plugins and the low plugins have a bad documentation and low specific web2py library. For example php is old but there are many and many documentations, many library, many plugins and so many people but also many company use this language..Php is old but if you use this language you can find on google in 5minutes any informations, you can create page in few time, many functionality in few time..you can use wordpress ecc..many services..if you have to load applications is simple many guides ecc..So maybe is coul use the last version or the last framework example Play Java or another Python Framework or web3py but if you have a problem and there is any resources online, any person that is expert and for one reserach and little problem spend hours is not the right way..For example I have use one of the first release of Play Framework and is a bad idea, low guides, low people and for any little problem research and research..For me is not important that is coul, but that I work and produce and meet few problems during my day
..So maybe is more important create new plugins and little functionality of the current version, maybe a system like Flask, we have a base not a microframework, but the logico of Flask library for create your personal framework..in the case of web2py new library to improve the production

Ovidio Marinho

Nov 20, 2015, 6:28:16 AM11/20/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
This explains the situation well python3 vs  python2 ,

I think it made a big mess, not to carry the python2 internally in python3. And python3 is a serious candidate to die. And this is not good.

                   http://itjp.net.br
                     http://itjp.net.br
          Ovidio Marinho Falcao Neto
                 ovid...@gmail.com

                            Brasil

I think that for the programmer is not so important the version..always if the last is not too old..Python 2.7 is not too old but the problem that i see is that there is a good guide and good forum..web2py have many good features, but the real problem that I find( I am a web2py developer from 5 months) is that there are low plugins and the low plugins have a bad documentation and low specific web2py library. For example php is old but there are many and many documentation, many library, many plugins and so many people but also many company use this language..Php is old but if you use this language you can find on google in 5minutes any information, you can create page in few time, many functionality in few time..So maybe is coul use the last version or the last framework example Play Java or another Python Framework or web3py but if you have a problem and there is any resources online and for one reserach and little problem spend hours is not the right way

Alex

Nov 20, 2015, 7:04:07 AM11/20/15
to web2py-users
This looks like an exaggeration to me, I don't think python3 or python will die anytime soon. And the article is already 1,5 years old.

anyway, back to the topic. I don't think it would be wise to totally ignore python3. Further Massimo's argument that no large companies are using python3 (is it really true?) doesn't hold for me. Large companies and banks usually aren't the fastest to adopt new technology. Should a Java developer still use Java 1.5 just because large companies do so?

the main question is: is it possible to make web2py compatible with python3? what are the main obstacles? creating a completely new incompatible framework (web3py) would repeat many mistakes already visible with python2/3, split up the community etc.

Alex

Jim S

Nov 20, 2015, 12:47:49 PM11/20/15
to web2py-users
I can't vouch for the accuracy, but here is what I've run across on the web regarding packages ported to python 3.

Jim

Remco Boerma

Nov 23, 2015, 5:38:14 PM11/23/15
to web2py-users
I've done my homework and agree Massimo. There is hardly a thing that requires python3 that doesn't work with python2. The only one i know is https://micropython.org/ but it's not a big company, nor a "big" product.

Richard Vézina

Dec 1, 2015, 11:55:53 AM12/1/15
to web2py-users
Another think about the problem and not sure if it relevent though...

Let says that what make web2py not support python 3 is SQLFORM or other highlevel... We may leave them behind and write new tools which will be compatible with python 2 and 3... And we can prevent user that if they plan to use web2py with python 3 they should refactor their app in order to use the new tools... As the time pass the old tools may be deprecated like CRUD and less attention give to them...

??

Richard

Michele Comitini

Dec 1, 2015, 1:20:29 PM12/1/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
;-) By now we can plan jump to python4 and skip the (arguably useful)
python3 era entirely ;-)

Richard Vézina

Dec 1, 2015, 1:27:30 PM12/1/15
to web2py-users
That is another option!

:)

Richard

Alex

Dec 6, 2015, 8:09:41 PM12/6/15
to web2py-users
I'm still missing a clear strategy from the devs... I could understand if you don't have enough resources and ask for help (web2py is open source and anybody can contribute after all). But saying that python3 is useless and nobody wants it is not a good approach.

It seems like most of you only deal with ascii characters. Only if you constantly deal with non-ascii characters you really feel the pain of python2. e.g. ajax request with user input, use string for mail.send or T(..).format(..) -> unicode error. Basically I have to test all user string input if it is unicode and convert to str

Alex

Jason Solack

Dec 6, 2015, 8:20:38 PM12/6/15
to web2py-users
i feel this asciii / unicode pain quite often as i deal with data from all sorts of sources and much of it is text inputs from various users... i would love to see web2py move towards python3

Pablo Angulo

Dec 7, 2015, 2:38:50 AM12/7/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I also have to work with unicode all the time. While it's true that python3 deals better with this issue, there is no way that web2py can move to python3 and our current code keeps working, precisely because of this issue. Our code has lots of .encode('utf8'), .decode('utf8'), unicode(...), etc. We would have to migrate our apps to python3.

So a new framework that is based on the same ideas and part of the existing code, as Massimo have said explicitely, is the only possible strategy. But while we do the necessary porting of our code to python3, we will also get other benefits in the deal. python3 being non-backwards compatible forces a non-backwards compatible version of web2py.

El 07/12/15 a las 02:09, Alex escribió:
> I'm still missing a clear strategy from the devs... I could understand if you don't have enough resources and ask for help (web2py is open source and anybody can contribute after all). But saying that python3 is useless and nobody wants it is not a good approach. > > It seems like most of you only deal with ascii characters. Only if you constantly deal with non-ascii characters you really feel the pain of python2. e.g. ajax request with user input, use string for mail.send or T(..).format(..) -> unicode error. Basically I have to test all user string input if it is unicode and convert to str > > Alex > -- > Resources: > - http://web2py.com > - http://web2py.com/book (Documentation) > - http://github.com/web2py/web2py (Source code) > - https://code.google.com/p/web2py/issues/list (Report Issues) > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "web2py-users" group. > To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/web2py/UKcWKU66qnA/unsubscribe. > To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to web2py+un...@googlegroups.com <mailto:web2py+un...@googlegroups.com>. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Monte Milanuk

Dec 8, 2015, 11:38:33 PM12/8/15
to web2py-users
So in case I missed it earlier in the discussion... is there a timetable (or even a beginning) for moving web2py to web3py, etc. or not?

I found it kind of interesting that on the web2py site it touts the educational origins of web2py, but in posts above python 3 was dismissed as being only used in schools (which I highly doubt, but whatever).

Backwards compatibility is great and all... but I think y'all might be taking it a bit too far.  An LTS version might be a better idea.

YMMV,

Monte

Sayth Renshaw

May 24, 2016, 4:42:35 PM5/24/16
to web2py-users
Of course though as Massimo cited all education institutions are teaching Python 3 and have for a time meaning all the new developers are starting there. If they write new code bases it will be 3, every dev deals with legacy code but is that really the strongest position to take?

Dave S

May 24, 2016, 6:17:46 PM5/24/16
to web2py-users

On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 1:42:35 PM UTC-7, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
Of course though as Massimo cited all education institutions are teaching Python 3 and have for a time meaning all the new developers are starting there. If they write new code bases it will be 3, every dev deals with legacy code but is that really the strongest position to take?

There is a web3py in the works, although it will be experimental for the near future.. IIRC, pydal is already P3 compatible.  SQLFORM goes away in web3py, AIUI, and FORM will be better supported.  Switching from Bootstrap to other view-ish frameworks should be easier.

/dps

Muhammad Hashim Malik

Feb 2, 2017, 6:11:37 AM2/2/17
to web2py-users
Its about eight months passed but no news about web3py. What's the latest updated in this regard?

Paolo Valleri

Feb 2, 2017, 12:39:10 PM2/2/17
to web2py-users
In the last months few patches have been accepted in the current master branch, as a result web2py core components can be tested on py3 too. Few features are missing see https://github.com/web2py/web2py/issues/1353.
Feel free to try and report/fix any new issue discovered.

Paolo

Alex

Apr 2, 2017, 5:49:31 PM4/2/17
to web2py-users
Is there any progress or at least a timeline when web2py will officially support Python 3?

It's 11 months since the last web2py release and I don't see much activity on github. So this is worrying me a little bit. I have a lot of web2py projects and I'll start a large project in a few months. I know web2py very well and it's a great framework, but at the moment I'm not completely sure if it's a good idea to use it for a new project...

best regards,
Alex

Leonel Câmara

Apr 3, 2017, 7:53:27 AM4/3/17
to web2py-users
Alex pretty much the only thing missing for py3 support is for m2crypto which web2py depends on for X509 stuff to support python 3, according to their repository they're really close to finishing py3 support. So I would say we're almost there.

Richard Vézina

Apr 3, 2017, 10:46:53 AM4/3/17
to web2py-users
Glad to hear that Leonel...

But could we have "official" wrapup of the progress so far and where we heading to. Are we waiting m2crypto to become py3 compatible to release a new web2py version?

I am sure we could benefit from a new web2py version if the master is not broken because of that (py3 compatibility) as we can still benefit from the improvement and bugs fixes that occur while keep using web2py with python 2.7

I am not saying that we should rush out a new release though as after had waiting that long we surely can wait another 1-2 months and get py3 compliant version and 2.14.6 is reliable version.

But, having a new version would help strengthen the code base, so there will be less problem to figure out when py3 release will be ready, don't you think? We will focus on py3 issue more easily then...

Also, new version would help keep confidence that web2py is hear to stay...

Thanks

Richard

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Leonel Câmara <leonel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Alex pretty much the only thing missing for py3 support is for m2crypto which web2py depends on for X509 stuff to support python 3, according to their repository they're really close to finishing py3 support. So I would say we're almost there.

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Paolo Valleri

Apr 3, 2017, 3:01:58 PM4/3/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
The best is to test your apps with python3 and report any issues.
After a test period, I agree regarding pushing a new release

 Paolo

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "web2py-users" group.

Richard Vézina

Apr 3, 2017, 4:59:52 PM4/3/17
to web2py-users
Good suggestion Paolo,

I will try master asap, hope ealier than later as I am in the middle of a big refactoring...

I was just stand up for the other that may ask them self what's going on.

:)

Richard

JorgeH

Apr 5, 2017, 4:15:55 PM4/5/17
to web2py-users
If what prevents the release of web2py python 3 ready are small details , why not release 2 versions, one for python 3, and the other one for python 3.

Eventually, all the libraries will be ported to Py 3, or will be ways to sort that out.

just saying

 Paolo

Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Dave S

Apr 5, 2017, 9:46:11 PM4/5/17
to web2py-users

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 1:15:55 PM UTC-7, JorgeH wrote:
If what prevents the release of web2py python 3 ready are small details , why not release 2 versions, one for python 3, and the other one for python 3.

Eventually, all the libraries will be ported to Py 3, or will be ways to sort that out.

just saying

I think this is the plan being worked on.

Massimo recently made a remark about having a post-2.14.6 release of web2py, and the web3py stuff is accumulating. So far, they seem to have it all in sources that can be used in either environment, so those changes will be in the stuff you download in the 2.14.6-followon.  More changes as the py3 stuff continues to work out.

Because of things like pickling, you won't be able to switch back and forth in place, but you shouldn't have to do a lot of changes to run in either environment ... except that views/client-side stuff could change a lot to be simpler, and perhaps SQLFORM won't be carried over (in favor of js wrappers for FORM, AIUI).

/dps

Massimo Di Pierro

Apr 12, 2017, 7:37:44 AM4/12/17
to web2py-users
Basically web2py works with python 3. Not thanks to me but thanks to the many excellent contributors. Have you tried:

$ python3 web2py.py

web2py with pyhton 2 and web2py with python use the same code base but are not compatible with each other for obvious reasons.

I am working on web3py which is not to be confused with web2py for python 3. For this reason it will have another name. It will not be compatible with web2py (python 2 or python 3) but it will have a lot of the features that you like and more and be 10x faster.

Ovidio Marinho

Apr 12, 2017, 8:00:15 AM4/12/17
to web...@googlegroups.com

                   http://itjp.net.br
                     http://itjp.net.br
          Ovidio Marinho Falcao Neto
                 ovid...@gmail.com

                            Brasil

JorgeH

Apr 12, 2017, 8:56:17 AM4/12/17
to web2py-users

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 6:37:44 AM UTC-5, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:

I am working on web3py which is not to be confused with web2py for python 3. For this reason it will have another name. It will not be compatible with web2py (python 2 or python 3) but it will have a lot of the features that you like and more and be 10x faster.

Great news Massimo!
Any hint  on a temptative release date?

Massimo Di Pierro

Apr 12, 2017, 9:37:08 AM4/12/17
to web2py-users
May be some code will be released at the end of April. Very preliminary but I will be looking for feedback.

Marlysson Silva

Apr 13, 2017, 12:38:05 PM4/13/17
to web2py-users
Awesome!! Which features massimo? :D

Richard Vézina

Apr 13, 2017, 2:39:48 PM4/13/17
to web2py-users
10x speed improve, I buy that anytime!

:)

Richard

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM, Marlysson Silva <marly...@gmail.com> wrote:
Awesome!! Which features massimo? :D

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

pbreit

Apr 15, 2017, 9:30:52 PM4/15/17
to web2py-users
I love web2py but am excited to hear about your next framework. When do you think we might see a functional/preview? will it be recognizable to web2py users are a big departure? What are you thinking for the front-end, template/views like web2py or something more JavaScript like React/Vue?

Massimo Di Pierro

Apr 16, 2017, 10:51:11 AM4/16/17
to web2py-users
The main goal is to make it as close as possible to web2py but faster, allow more flexibility and move more logic client-size. It will be smaller than web2py.

admin will look different but have similar functionality.
the request/response objects will be the bottlepy ones.
dal & templates are the same as in web2py, therefore most of the logic will be similar.
routing will be done with decorators like bottlepy and flask.
scaffolding app will promote single page apps with vue.js and auth0 instead of native template system.
nothing (except apps themselves) will be store on filesystem because we found that to be a scalability bottleneck.
thinking about integrating websockets ot http push notification or integration...
the folder structure will be similar to web2py's (applications, applications/databases, etc) but it will use import not execfile and will give more flexibility to organize individual apps internally.
apps will be able to import each other modules and models.

Massimo

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Apr 16, 2017, 4:27:24 PM4/16/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Massimo, I really like a lot what I am reading, is there some kind of schedule or todo list for this? I really will like to help on building this.

Have you considered to include some functionality like symfony 2 bundles (http://symfony.com/doc/current/bundles.html) or Yii2 extensions (http://www.yiiframework.com/doc-2.0/guide-structure-extensions.html)? This will really improve the code reutilization for applications, I really miss something like that in web2py.

I will love too some easy way for use inheritance in models and controllers.

Greetings.

El 16/04/17 a las 10:51, Massimo Di Pierro escribió:
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

JorgeH

Apr 16, 2017, 8:10:56 PM4/16/17
to web2py-users
the best news I've read in a long time! Can´t wait to use it.. :)

JorgeH

Apr 18, 2017, 6:08:48 PM4/18/17
to web2py-users
Please consider adding support for GraphQL, if I may suggest

Muhammad Hashim Malik

Apr 30, 2017, 11:31:22 PM4/30/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Badly waiting for web3py. It was announced that web3py will be available​ at the end of April. ????

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Jim Steil

May 1, 2017, 7:54:15 AM5/1/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Please, let's give Massimo and the team the time to do it right.

Massimo said 'maybe some code will be release at the end of April'.  I didn't view that as an announcement.

-Jim

Robin Bryce

May 2, 2017, 9:11:56 AM5/2/17
to web2py-users
At Illumina Python 3 extensively. Bioinformatics, Web development, infrastructure scripting etc. At my group, it's no great hardship for us to use Python 2.7 in return for what web2py offers. But by default all our python is python3

Great one Alex.

Richard Vézina

May 2, 2017, 11:52:11 AM5/2/17
to web2py-users
Muhammad,

I don't recall any promise about a date mention by Massimo... Thanks to consider that all this is open source project and there is no specific timeline attach to these initiatives...

web2py is still there and I guess we all can be confident that Massimo will take care to soften the transition between web2py and possibly named web3py future framework...

If you just wait a new web2py version that will support python 3, I guess it coming, but it not ready yet, you may use the trunk/latest on github which I heard works for the most part with python 3. You may also consider reporting issue which will help us to fix as much as them as possible before the next release (please read the README before use python 3 and backup your app as there is no way back to python 2 - of course you may always revert change if you app is properly tracked by version control but I don't suggest to rely over it)...

Thanks

Richard

Muhammad Hashim Malik

May 11, 2017, 3:50:17 AM5/11/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Dear Richard

I know web2py can be used with python3, but, I want to play with web3py and waiting for that badly. Please dont' mind my restless waiting for new framework.

Truly,
Malik Muhammad Hashim

Malik M. Hashim
PO MCC(East)

Richard Vézina

May 11, 2017, 8:08:43 AM5/11/17
to web2py-users
No problem... I can't say when Massimo's gonna disclose his new framework, you have to ask him... But it should be soon as he compromise his self saying he has one in the pipeline... Keep tune...

:)

Richard

max

Dec 21, 2018, 3:36:28 AM12/21/18
to web2py-users
Did some quick tests with python 3.5.2  and it seems now web2py master branch is python3 compatible.

Is there anything , I should worry before switching it to a production modus.

Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Web2_3py

Dec 21, 2018, 11:46:07 AM12/21/18
to web2py-users
export_to_csv_file

under python2 , no problem

under python3 , the following problem
  File "C:\Users\assus\Desktop\Flash\python3\web2py_2_17_2_src\web2py\gluon\packages\dal\pydal\objects.py", line 2619, in export_to_csv_file
writer.writerow(unquote_colnames(colnames))
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'