[VOTE] Secretary Election August 2016

Michael Cullum

Aug 12, 2016, 6:24:40 PM8/12/16
to FIG, PHP
Hi all,

So for those unaware, it's that time again. Every 8 months a secretary's term ends and on this occasion, we have both a term ending (Previously filled by Samantha) and a vacancy to fill (after Joe's resignation), so two secretaries will be elected. Whoever comes first will be in post until August 2018 and the term of whoever is second will end in 8 months.

Samantha is standing for re-election, but she is just as any candidate, and therefore may be elected into either term, or neither. No matter the outcome, I am sure you will all join me in offering a word of thanks on behalf of the FIG to both Samantha and Joe for their work these past 6-8 months.

Full information about the Secretary vote and role is visible in the bylaws here: https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/bylaws/003-membership.md#fig-secretary

I suggest you check out their nomination topics for information about themselves and to ask questions. All candidates except Paul (as his nomination was quite late in the process) have spoken with Samantha or myself about what the role entails and I'd add that they all appear to be aware of both the commitment required and the role/responsibilities defined in the bylaws.

Nominations List
How to vote
The voting system used is STV[1][2], so basically, there is no tactical voting possible (like with FPTP); vote for who you want, even if they are a less popular candidates as your vote will move down to a different candidate if you back an unpopular candidate who doesn't have enough votes; if a candidate is elected, their surplus votes are also re-allocated so you are not punished for backing popular candidates either. There is no quorum, you are of course entitled to not vote and it will not count as a missed vote on the voting sheet. Rank the candidates in order of preference for example:

1. Luke
2. Leia
3. Anakin
4. Rey
5. Padmé
6. Finn

You may, if you wish, not rank all six candidates (however this is relatively pointless in STV, only do this if your bottom candidates are of equal preference to you). For example:

1. Luke
2. Anakin
3. Padmé
4. Leia

The vote ends at 23:59 UTC on the 26th August, and I will close the vote and announce the result at some point on the 27th. At any time, any candidate or voting member may privately ask me to do a count and tell them who would be elected to which term if the vote ended at that point. Please be wary of 'STV calculators' on the internet as there are many different ways of calculating the vote reallocation for STV and many are inaccurate, our methods are dictated in the bylaws.

Finally, I will repeat something I have reiterated privately to candidates and in a nomination topic:
I'd ask everyone keep this election fair and clean. Secretaries are in the role they are in to be neutral and I'd ask people consider the impact that bringing (for lack of a better term) politics into a Secretary election could have on that Secretary's ability to do their job and in the same way, candidates may very well be expected to soon represent a neutral position so I would recommend they keep this in mind throughout the election. In the same fashion, I'd ask that once a Secretary is elected, whoever they may be, they are given the chance to execute their duties properly and are given a chance by all; nobody wants to see the FIG split due to who has been elected, or who hasn't been elected, as Secretary.

Good luck to all the candidates!

--
Many thanks,
Michael Cullum

[1]: STV User-friendly Explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XOZJkozfI

Jordi Boggiano

Aug 13, 2016, 8:42:06 AM8/13/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Votes for Composer:

Samantha Quiñones
Jonathan Reinink
Phil Sturgeon
Amanda Folson
Matthew 'Matt' Trask
Paul 'PMJ' Jones

Cheers

On 13/08/2016 00:23, Michael Cullum wrote:
> [...]
> in the role they are in to be neutral and I'd ask people consider
> the impact that bringing (for lack of a better term) politics into a
> Secretary election could have on that Secretary's ability to do
> their job and in the same way, candidates may very well be expected
> to soon represent a neutral position so I would recommend they keep
> this in mind throughout the election. In the same fashion, I'd ask
> that once a Secretary is elected, whoever they may be, they are
> given the chance to execute their duties properly and are given a
> chance *by all*; nobody wants to see the FIG split due to who has
> been elected, or who hasn't been elected, as Secretary.
>

> Good luck to all the candidates!
>
> --
> Many thanks,
> Michael Cullum
> FIG Secretary & August 2016 Secretary Election Returning Officer

Jordi Boggiano
@seldaek - http://seld.be

Michiel Rook

Aug 13, 2016, 12:36:09 PM8/13/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Phing's votes:

1. Samantha Quiñones
2. Paul 'PMJ' Jones
3. Amanda Folsen
4. Phil Sturgeon
5. Matthew 'Matt' Trask
6. Jonathan Reinink
Message has been deleted

Paul Jones

Aug 14, 2016, 11:48:30 AM8/14/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Votes for Aura, et al.:

1. Paul 'PMJ' Jones
2. Amanda Folson
3. Samantha Quiñones
4. Jonathan Reinink
5. Matthew 'Matt' Trask

--

Paul M. Jones
http://paul-m-jones.com

Dracony

Aug 14, 2016, 5:31:37 PM8/14/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Votes for PHPixie:

Paul 'PMJ' Jones
Samantha Quiñones
Amanda Folson
Jonathan Reinink
Matthew 'Matt' Trask

Paul Dragoonis

Aug 16, 2016, 2:18:47 AM8/16/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Votes for PPI

1. Samantha Quiñones
2. Jonathan Reinink
3. Amanda Folson
4. Matthew 'Matt' Trask
5. Paul 'PMJ' Jones
6. Phil Sturgeon

Alexander Makarov

Aug 16, 2016, 3:22:31 AM8/16/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Votes for Yii framework:

1. Jonathan Reinink
2. Paul 'PMJ' Jones
3. Matthew 'Matt' Trask
4. Samantha Quiñones
5. Phil Sturgeon

Adam Culp

Aug 16, 2016, 10:34:16 AM8/16/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Votes for IBMiToolkit

  1. Samantha Quiñones
  1. Amanda Folson
  2. Matthew 'Matt' Trask
  1. Jonathan Reinink
  2. Paul 'PMJ' Jones
  3. Phil Sturgeon

Regards,
Adam Culp
IBMiToolkit

Jason Coward

Aug 16, 2016, 10:37:02 AM8/16/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Votes for Slim Framework

- Matthew Trask
- Samantha Quiñones
- Amanda Folson
- Jonathan Reinink

Regards,

Jason Coward
Slim Framework

August 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM
Good luck to all the candidates!

--
Many thanks,
Michael Cullum
FIG Secretary & August 2016 Secretary Election Returning Officer

[1]: STV User-friendly Explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XOZJkozfI

Chris Tankersley

Aug 16, 2016, 10:37:49 AM8/16/16
to php...@googlegroups.com
Sculpin's vote:

    1. Samantha Quiñones
    2. Amanda Folson
    3. Jonathan Reinink
    1. Matthew Trask
    -Chris

    Chris Tankersley
    http://ctankersley.com

    Matteo Beccati

    Aug 16, 2016, 11:11:59 AM8/16/16
    to php...@googlegroups.com
    Votes for Revive Adserver:

    1. Amanda Folson
    2. Jonathan Reinink
    3. Samantha Quiñones
    4. Matthew 'Matt' Trask

> [...]
    > in the role they are in to be neutral and I'd ask people consider
    > the impact that bringing (for lack of a better term) politics into a
    > Secretary election could have on that Secretary's ability to do
    > their job and in the same way, candidates may very well be expected
    > to soon represent a neutral position so I would recommend they keep
    > this in mind throughout the election. In the same fashion, I'd ask
    > that once a Secretary is elected, whoever they may be, they are
    > given the chance to execute their duties properly and are given a
    > chance *by all*; nobody wants to see the FIG split due to who has
    > been elected, or who hasn't been elected, as Secretary.
    >

    > Good luck to all the candidates!
    >
    > --
    > Many thanks,
    > Michael Cullum
    > FIG Secretary & August 2016 Secretary Election Returning Officer

    Matteo Beccati

    Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/

    Marc Alexander

    Aug 16, 2016, 2:53:53 PM8/16/16
    to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    Votes for phpBB:

    1. Samantha Quiñones
    2. Jonathan Reinink
    3. Amanda Folson
    4. Matthew 'Matt' Trask
    5. Phil Sturgeon
    6. Paul 'PMJ' Jones

    Larry Garfield

    Aug 16, 2016, 7:40:33 PM8/16/16
    to php...@googlegroups.com
    For Drupal:

    Samantha Quiñones
    Amanda Folson
    Jonathan Reinink
    Matthew 'Matt' Trask

    --Larry Garfield

    Nate Abele

    Aug 16, 2016, 9:02:52 PM8/16/16
    to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    Votes for Lithium:

    1. Paul Jones
    2. Samantha Quiñones

    (I'm sure the other candidates are great people, I just don't feel sufficiently personally familiar with them to vote one way or the other).

    Matthew Weier O'Phinney

    Aug 17, 2016, 9:54:33 AM8/17/16
    to php...@googlegroups.com
    For Zend Framework:

    1. Amanda Folsom
    2. Matthew Trask
    3. Jonathan Reinink
    4. Samantha Quiñones
    > --

    Matthew Weier O'Phinney
    mweiero...@gmail.com
    https://mwop.net/

    Brian Retterer

    Aug 18, 2016, 11:18:22 AM8/18/16
    to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    1: Amanda Folson
    2: Samantha Quiñones
    3: Matt Trask

    Stormpath PHP SDK

    Lukas Kahwe Smith

    Aug 19, 2016, 9:34:23 AM8/19/16
    to php...@googlegroups.com
    from Jackalope

    * Amanda
    * Samantha
    Jonathan
    * Matt
    * Paul

    regards,
    Lukas Kahwe Smith

    signature.asc

    Damian Mooyman

    Aug 21, 2016, 5:13:46 PM8/21/16
    to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    SilverStripe's votes:

    1. Paul 'PMJ' Jones
    2. Samantha Quiñones
    3. Amanda Folson
    4. Matthew 'Matt' Trask
    5. Jonathan Reinink

    Leo Feyer

    Aug 22, 2016, 3:01:09 AM8/22/16
    to php...@googlegroups.com
    Contao:

    Amanda Folson
    Samantha Quiñones
    Jonathan Reinink
    Matthew 'Matt' Trask
    Phil Sturgeon
    Paul 'PMJ' Jones

    signature.asc

    Michael Cullum

    Aug 24, 2016, 1:43:39 AM8/24/16
    to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    A reminder this vote ends very soon: 23:59 UTC on the 26th August

    --
    Michael C
    PHP FIG Secretary

    Korvin Szanto

    Aug 26, 2016, 1:38:18 PM8/26/16
    to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
    concrete5:

    1. Jonathan
    2. Phil
    3. Amanda
    4. Matthew
    5. Samantha

    Chuck Burgess

    Aug 26, 2016, 6:37:43 PM8/26/16
    to php...@googlegroups.com

    From PEAR:

    Amanda Folson
    Matthew 'Matt' Trask
    Jonathan Reinink

    Samantha Quiñones

    CRB

    Michael Cullum

    Aug 26, 2016, 7:08:30 PM8/26/16
    to FIG, PHP
    I have calculated the results as of now but votes are open for another 53 minutes but I won't be able to post the results then; I will post the results tomorrow taking into account any votes made between now and then.

    --
    Michael C

    On 26 August 2016 at 18:38, Korvin Szanto <korvin...@gmail.com> wrote:
    concrete5:

    1. Jonathan
    2. Phil
    3. Amanda
    4. Matthew
    5. Samantha
    On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:43 PM Michael Cullum <m...@michaelcullum.com> wrote:
    A reminder this vote ends very soon: 23:59 UTC on the 26th August

    --
    Michael C
    PHP FIG Secretary

    On Monday, 22 August 2016 15:01:09 UTC+8, Leo Feyer wrote:
    Contao:

    Amanda Folson
    Samantha Quiñones
    Jonathan Reinink
    Matthew 'Matt' Trask
    Phil Sturgeon
    Paul 'PMJ' Jones

    Michael Cullum

    Aug 27, 2016, 6:58:09 PM8/27/16
    to FIG, PHP
    Hi all,

    After all the voting I can confirm the new secretaries are Amanda and Samantha with Samantha taking the post with the larger term (Phils votes were withdrawn so any bumping up of placements occurred pre-round 1 automatically).

    Full breakdown (Quota: 7)
    Round 1:
    Samantha: 7
    Jonathan: 2
    Amanda: 6
    Matt: 1
    PMJ: 4
    Samantha passes quota, and has no surplus to re-allocate.

    Round 2:
    Matt is eliminated and his votes are transferred.
    1 vote transfers to Amanda.
    Amanda passes quota.

    Samantha is already a secretary but will take office in her new term formally on Sunday when Amanda will join the Secretary team.

    Thank you all for a clean election and I'm sure everyone wishes to pass good luck wishes to both of our candidates.

    Despite it appearing like large margins, just one or two votes can entirely change STV outcomes (because of their representation as linear separate ballot papers are misleading unless someone meets the quota in round 1) so it was very close for all involved and I'd love to see some of them nominated and involved in the future.

    I will formally announce the new candidates on Sunday.

    Many thanks,
    Michael C

    --
    Michael C