[Nomination] FIG Secretary: Phil Sturgeon

Jordi Boggiano

Aug 11, 2016, 4:18:42 AM8/11/16
to php...@googlegroups.com

Hey figistas,

(I'm on mobile so will try and keep it short sorry.)

Phil Sturgeon has expressed interest in being Secretary and as I believe he has the group's best interest in mind I am happily putting his name forward.

Best,
Jordi

Christopher Pitt

Aug 11, 2016, 5:49:52 AM8/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
The potential for Paul and Phil being secretaries together. What is happening to this day?

Adam Culp

Aug 11, 2016, 7:35:02 AM8/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Another good candidate.

We have many potentially good nominations for FIG secretary, and you are one of them. So to help members choose, please provide some insight:

1. Why did you accept the nomination?
2. What are your plans?
3. Similarly, what do you hope to accomplish as secretary?
4. At the moment do you see any reason why you would not remain for the full term?
5. Will you be able to keep a level head?

Regards,
Adam Culp
IBMiToolkit

Phil Sturgeon

Aug 11, 2016, 9:08:33 AM8/11/16
to PHP Framework Interoperability Group
Thanks Jordi, I do of course humbly accept!

Adam: I love a bit of Q&A, let's have it:

1. Why did you accept the nomination?

As an ex-FIG voting member, previous owner of the domain and person who randomly had Git access, I've been doing all sorts of admin tasks for the FIG for ages. That stopped last year when y'all got secretaries. I was asked to be involved then, but I recommended some other names, who have done a cracking job since then. Now it's time for a bit of new blood, and I'll be bringing the old dedication back to help the FIG achieve its goals, whatever those goals turn out to be.

2. What are your plans?

The FIG is at a cross-roads, with a large number of people proposing the transition to a proper standards body, and a non-trivial number of people seem very happy with the FIG staying as a small, rag-tag band of folks knocking out recommendations. It could absolutely be either, and I'd like to help make sure those conversations are constructive, and without misunderstandings or arbitrary ad-hominem attacks clouding the conversation or derailing the show.

3. Similarly, what do you hope to accomplish as secretary?

I'd do whatever the voting members need. Moderation, mediation, help clear up misunderstandings, and implement bylaws to help solve problems brought forward by the voting members as the excellent secretaries have done so far. All of the smart folks who are trying to work constructively will get plenty of help, and folks who are consistently reported as spamming and bulling will get temp bans as the secretaries have done so far. I'd like to see the FIG return to a happy, constructive environment where people are happy to contribute to PSRs, and I'd love for the drama to be behind us. It's easily within our power as soon as we stop assuming there's a conspiracy involved with the secretaries trying to steal all the power, and recognize that it's a tough but necessary job.

The FIG has been shedding respect from the community, and I've always done a fairly good job of explaining what is going on in a way that the greater community can understand and get behind. They don't want to keep up with a bajillion emails to work out whats going on, so the occasional blog from me to keep folks up to date has always seemed to help. That'll be another handy thing to have from a secretary I believe.

4. At the moment do you see any reason why you would not remain for the full term?

I'm consistently aware of the bus factor being a New York cyclists. I could be gone any day now. Samantha gets it.

5. Will you be able to keep a level head?

As a spectator in the past it's been very easy to say "WTF" and throw my hands up in disbelief as the arguments have rattled on and on an on. I'm very aware there are those who would say I'm the creator of this drama, but in reality I'm just tired of watching the FIG set its own trousers on fire, then fight with anyone who tries to put it out.

I can put that aside, and have started to recently. I've tried to explain some of the differences between what might appear to be two sides, in a bid to close the gap and get as many folks as possible back to a happy place.

This, combined with the fact that 28 year old Phil is substantially calmer than some of the previous iterations. My application has nothing to do with politics, and none of the most recent drama has either. It's been about getting people to listen to each other, to get the voices of those having a rough time, who feel unable to contribute, listened too, so they can get on with making the FIG excellent.

That sounds a lot like the role of the secretary to me. :)

Michael Cullum

Aug 11, 2016, 6:32:45 PM8/11/16
to FIG, PHP
Thanks Phil and Jordi. Nomination received.

--
Michael C
FIG Secretary