Google Grup tidak lagi mendukung postingan atau langganan Usenet baru. Konten lama masih dapat dilihat.

Does a free offline non-Internet calendar app exist for iOS that imports/exports ICS text files?

25 kali dilihat
Langsung ke pesan pertama yang belum dibaca

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
11 Jan 2019, 06.45.2711/01/19
kepada
Q: Does a free offline non-Internet calendar app exist
for iOS that imports/exports ICS text files?

On Windows & Linux, I can install Rainlendar2 freeware,
and on Android, I can install Simple Calendar freeware,
all of which are free, contain no ads, require no logins,
and all import/export standard text "ICS" calendar files.

They all work the first time (on Windows, Linux, & Android):
1. You install the software (none of which has ads)
2. You create a few events
3. You export/import those events to/from text ICS files

*Is there similar offline free calendar functionality on iOS?*
o Free (required) with no ads (if possible)
o No need for the Internet (i.e., no logins whatsoever)
o Imports & exports ICS event text files

I tried a dozen iOS calendar programs, but they all fail the requirements.
o Any.do required a login, so it failed
o Planner Pro Daily Calendar required a login so it failed
o ToDo List & Calendar (vihaan) required a login so it failed
o Cozi Family Organizer requires a login so it failed
o The default Apple calendar doesn't seem to have a file import/export
o One Calendar might work since it asks for CalDav servers but won't take a file
o PocketLife Calendar seems nice but where's the file import/export button?
o Tiny Calendar didn't require a login but where's the file import/export?
o Pod Calendar & Scheduling doesn't seem to have a file import/export
o Vantage Calendar & ToDo List doesn't seem to have a file import/export
o Calendar Z doesn't seem to have a file import/export
o Jorte Calendar seemed nice & it has a "Share" button ... but no import/export?
etc.

Of those dozen tests, "Jorte Calendar" or "One Calendar" seemed most promising
(available on all platforms <http://www.onecalendar.nl/download/store>)
o <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-calendar/id1238379385>

The main problem with "One Calendar" is that I'm unfamiliar with the file
format since all I want it to do is read in the already-saved "ics" file.

"One Calendar" has 7 options, but none of those appear to be an "ics" text file:
o Google calendar
o Microsoft calendar
o iCloud calendar
o Facebook events
o Exchange
o CalDAV calendars (this may be the most promising option)
o WebCal URL

REFERENCES:
o The 10 Best Calendar Apps for 2019
<https://zapier.com/blog/best-calendar-apps/>
o The best calendar apps for Android and iOS
<https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-calendar-apps/>
o Best Calendar Apps
<https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/442-best-calendar-apps.html#s2>
o Ditch your phone's default calendar for one of these apps
<https://www.cnet.com/news/best-calendar-apps-ios-android/>

In the hopes of finding someone on this ng who actually knows
something about iOS, I ask...

Q: Does a free offline non-Internet calendar app exist
for iOS that imports/exports ICS text files?

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
12 Jan 2019, 23.43.4012/01/19
kepada
> Q: Does a free offline non-Internet calendar app exist
> for iOS that imports/exports ICS text files?

As usual, it appears that the desired functionality exists on all platforms
except iOS (which is yet another likely proof iOS is mainly for sheep).

UPDATE:
Here is a response I just made to Mike Easter, on the Linux newsgroup...
o Can we come up with a free, ad free, cloud-free calendaring system that works with Windows and Linux and mobile devices?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/ydQ9sG-8Y08>

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 08:12:49 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
> The Radicale Project runs on most of the UNIX-like platforms (Linux, BSD,
> MacOS X) and Windows.

Hi Mike,
Sorry I haven't responded sooner, as today I finally realized what I'm up
against - which isn't fitting into the original plan due to pragmatics.
1. Linux
2. Windows
3. iCalendar

Your advice, and the information you found, was, as usual, fantastic, and,
just as usual, your advice was crucial, where I've belatedly come to 3
fundamental "conclusions" based on the links you (& others) provided.

1. Fundamentally, *Linux servers are the (best) way to go*, with
"NextCloud" or "Radicale" being the top two to consider ("OwnCloud" having
severe business problems that NextCloud doesn't seem to have).

2. Fundamentally, Windows "can" be done (based on what you've unearthed) -
but - setting up *Windows CalDAV servers are likely not for mere mortals*
(particularly those who know nothing of Python and who care nothing for
Python) - and even so - in my 80/20 dual-boot situation - I'd _still_ need
to interface with a Linux CalDAV server. (So Windows CalDav servers are
essentially out of the question, sadly.)

3. Fundamentally, simple *iCalendar standard text files work* on
intelligent clients, which, in the short term works rather well for me
simply because at any one point in time, I'm either on the desktop (Windows
80%, Linux 20%) or on the mobile device (Android 90%, iOS 10%) - where
judiciously chosen clients can export/import all events, en masse.

Hence, after deep rumination, I realize there are two "best" solutions...
A: Full-time Linux server (best) using almost any calendaring client
B: Extemporaneous iCalendar files (second best) using well-chosen clients

*Full-time LINUX Server:*
A: The "best" personal server/client solution is obvious - which is to
maintain a full-time Linux server on the personal LAN that the CalDav
server runs on - which can be a raspberry pi - or a spare old plugged-in
laptop (of which I have plenty whose batteries are dead).

*Extemporaneous iCalendar files:*
B. With or without a home CalDAV server, standard-format text iCalendar
*.ics files are perfect for passing the entire set of extemporaneous events
between well-chosen clients. The only caveat is that the client has to be
"intelligently chosen" since most clients I've tested do NOT both export
and import iCalendar text files (e.g., 24 out of 25 tested on Android
failed to both import and export iCalendar files - and 20 out of 20 tested
on iOS failed that same test).

The list of free clients that do not import & export iCalendar files is,
surprisingly, immense, so I will only list the free clients that I've found
that both import & export all calendar events via *.ics text files
(although I'm sure there are others that I hope to find over time).

*WINDOWS:*
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/GroR2PfU/can-we-come-up-with-a-free-ad-free-cloud-free-calendaring-system-that-works-with-windows-and-linux>
a. Rainlendar2 (aka Rainlendar Lite)
b. Thunderbird <https://lettoknow.com/export-ics-to-thunderbird/>
c. Outlook <https://www.techhit.com/outlook/export_calendar_icalendar_ics.html>

*LINUX*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/ydQ9sG-8Y08>
a. Rainlendar2 (aka Rainlendar Lite)
b. Thunderbird <https://lettoknow.com/export-ics-to-thunderbird/>

*ANDROID*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/52iSsFUQinE>
a. Simple Calendar (mine is the free pro version only on F-Droid)

*iOS*
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.ipad/2tzv74EJY_s>
a. I haven't found any Calendars yet that import/export *ics on iOS

NOTE: Every app shown above is both completely free & completely ad free.

In addition, on Android, there are 'odd' utilities that claim to somehow
(magically?) add import/export of ICS to other apps (mostly to email), but
I'm not sure how they can play a role yet - but they may be useful:
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.drlue.icalimportexport>
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tk.drlue.icalimportexport.linkcatcher>

Bear in mind, for Android, there are 3 different Simple Calendar links:
FREE: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.calendar>
FREE: <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro/>
PAID: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro>

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
13 Jan 2019, 00.24.4213/01/19
kepada
UPDATE 2:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:20:58 -0500, Big Al wrote:
> I'll play devil's advocate, what good does any of this do when you walk
> out the door?

It's a valid question, where I'll assume you already know the server/client
conclusions I belatedly came to after long though, which are explained to
Mike Easter et. al in this updated post:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/2tzv74EJY_s/iDfTeXWlEAAJ>
o Linux server (it's a home-based CalDAV server)
o Android/Windows/Linux clients (essentially, it's a home-based "dropbox")

Both server & client solutions should work rather well even after you walk
out the door (i.e., a CalDAV server running on a raspberry pi or old
plugged-in Linux laptop) simply because you will already have the latest
calendar on your mobile device at the time you "walk out the door".

AT HOME:
o At home, you manually pass iCalendar text files between PC & mobile.

OUT THE DOOR:
o When you leave the house, you have the *latest* calendar files on both.
o If you need to *update* your calendar, you manually update on the device.

BACK AT HOME:
o At return, you again manually pass iCalendar files between PC & mobile.

The good news is that, at least with Android (not so much for iOS), you can
easily save the ics calendar files in a single location that all devices
can access.

Unfortunately, SMB is "problematic" on un-rooted Android, but a WebDAV or
FTP server is quite easily set up on Android, such that Windows/Linux has
no problem getting and putting files from and to Android over the WiFi LAN.

Likewise, USB works fine for Android on both Linux & Windows, such that
copying the files between the two platforms is as easy as sliding them back
and forth using the native Android/Windows/Linux file managers.

That means you can store the "master" ics files on any platform's storage.

It's only iOS that is incapable of these simplest of file-transfer actions.
However, since iOS doesn't yet have import/export of ICS files (that anyone
yet knows of), it's moot if iOS can't also easily transfer ics event files.

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
13 Jan 2019, 01.12.3413/01/19
kepada
UPDATE 3:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:02:19 -0000 (UTC), Dan Purgert wrote:

> Don't think Owncloud does caldav, but then I haven't dug _that_ deeply
> into its featureset. "Easily share pictures with non-computery family
> WITHOUT using facebook" was really all I needed.

I agree with you Dan Purgert, that it's *easy* to share files among
the mobile devices (Android & iOS) and the PC (both Linux & Windows).

In fact, for all but iOS, I've already implemented the _simplest_ possible
solution, which is so simple that I wonder why everyone who doesn't wish to
use an Internet-based calendaring system doesn't set this up.

It's as simple as 1-2-3:
1. Select capable clients that can import/export a master iCal event file.
2. Store the single master iCal event file on the mobile device (or PC).
3. On any device, import/export to/from that one "master" iCal event file.

The good news is that Android, Windows, & Linux filesystems share well.
Hence, _plenty_ of use models will be easy to devise that import and export
to and from a *single* ICS master event file (containing the entire
calendar in a single file).

You can easily keep that single ICS master file on the Android filesystem.

For example, I tested a free WebDAV server on Android to share over WiFi:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
o Which says, when run "WebDAV server available on http://192.168.1.3:8080"

Given that address, on Windows, I ran the following command as a user:
o net use X: \\http://192.168.1.3:8080/#/
o This "mounts" the Android filesystem over WiFi as a "network location"

For the record, here's an example using this free FTP server on Android:
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/be.ppareit.swiftp_free/>
o Which says "FTP Server available at ftp://192.168.1.3/2221/"

Given that address, on Windows, you have many options to share files:
o You can use "FTPUSE" to "mount" that ftp share as a "removable drive"
o FTPUSE <https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html>

o Or you can use a variety of freeware to sync Android/Windows over WiFi:
o WinSCP <https://winscp.net/eng/download.php>
o FileZilla <https://filezilla-project.org/download.php>

Or, you can simply connect the Android device to Windows/Linux over USB.
o That instantly "mounts" the entire Android filesystem to the PC.

You can then share the master ics file if you wish to keep it on Android.

For automation, plenty of command-line methods access Android files over
USB, e.g., Android Studio "adb" will copy _any_ file on the Android file
system to Windows or Linux over USB:
<https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb>

So will libmtp:
o libMTP <https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp/>

(Yes, you heard right - any file - even system files - and yes, even if the
Android device is not rooted - e.g., you can copy the hosts file as one
simple example):
o How to modify the hosts file on your Android device
<https://www.modmy.com/how-modify-hosts-file-your-android-device>

For iOS, USB works great on Linux - but USB doesn't work as well on Windows
(long story which we have discussed in gory detail elsewhere), nor does
FTP/WebDAV work as well on iOS as it does with Android (gory details
elsewhere which only the diehard Apple Apologists can possibly deny).

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
14 Jan 2019, 13.09.3614/01/19
kepada
SOL VED (where iOS yet again fails miserably to do even simple things)

Since I'm, by my own definition, one of the best types of Usenet posters, I
will attempt, in this response, to "give back to the team" what I've
learned, by way of short summary (with adequate details).

Had I known a week ago what I know now, I would have completely skipped the
whole 'server/client' approach, or, I would have set up a raspberry pi as
the full-time CalDAV server.

Given that approach wasn't how I started this quest, it's shockingly
surprising how 24 out of 25 so-called calendar apps are utterly devoid of
ics export/import functionality (e.g., I only found 1 on Android, 2 on
Linux, and 3 on Windows, with 0 found to date on iOS).

However, you only need 1 calendar app that imports/exports ICS files.
Given I've found them, I gave up yesterday on setting up a CalDAV server.

To be clear, I'm only human, which, I say jokingly because when I searched
for a calendaring solution, the vast majority (9,999 out of 10,000
articles) talk about using someone elses' CalDAV server:
o Google Calendar, or,
o Apple iCloud Calendar, or
o Microsoft Outlook, Live, Hotmail, & Office 365 calendars, or
o Facebook events, or
etc.

Notice that they _all_ require you to store your private info on the net!
And they all (apparently) require a login, which adds insult to injury.

> And the secondary discovery (snipped for brevity) that it's a right pain
> in the ass to do.

The only options that involved servers that can be set up at home were
o Exchange servers (i.e., email/passwd), or
o CalDAV servers (i.e., username/passwd/server), or
o WebCAL servers (i.e., webcal://)

If we give up on the calendaring servers, we're left sharing an ICS file.
//share/calendar/my_events.ics

The good news is that there are so many ways to share a *single* ICS file
between Android, Windows, & Linux, that multiple approaches will work:
o USB shares (e.g., adb, libmtp, manual file manager, etc.)
o FTP shares (e.g., FTPUse mounts, winscp, filezilla, etc.)
o WebDAV shares (e.g., The Olive Tree WebDAV servers)
o SMB shares (these are problematic for Android due to non-root issues)
o DropBox-like home-cloud solutions
etc.

As always, on iOS, things are harder on Windows (but not with iOS to Linux,
where, surprisingly, iOS is treated by native Ubuntu 18.04 as it should be,
which is as a plain jane read/write USB stick).

In summary, I have given up on CalDAV servers on my personal LAN.
I've opted for the lower-tech simpler solution of a single event.ics file.

ANDROID: I use the F-Droid Simple Calendar Pro freeware to import/export
LINUX: I use the Rainlendar Lite freeware to import/export "my_events.ics"
WINDOWS: I use the Rainlendar Lite freeware to import/export events
IOS: I am still searching for a non-brain-dead iOS app that imports/exports

Currently I'm storing the "master" ICS file on the external SD card of my
$130 64GB LG Stylo 3 Plus where the 64GB external SD card is enough for me
(but it can handle up to 2 TB if I had a card that big).

USE MODEL ON THE DESKTOP:
a. I manage my email & calendar with big screens & keyboards!
b. The best advantage of the desktop is "cut and paste"!
c. When I change the calendar, I add a simple export-to-Android step

USE MODEL ON THE MOBILE DEVICE:
a. I rarely add events on the mobile device due to the lousy keyboard
b. When I add events, I first import the events.ics calendar file
c. After I add events, I then export the events.ics calendar file

In short, there is a _single_ events.ics file that is stored on the Android
external SD card that Linux, Windows, Android (and, someday, iOS) easily
access.

My contribution to the tribal knowledge of the team is that this works
as I stated, where you can use WiFi or USB to access the single ICS file.

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
15 Jan 2019, 22.03.0615/01/19
kepada
On 14 Jan 2019 21:00:13 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Wrong as usual. Either you didn't even try it or you are completely
> inept. I'll leave it to other readers of this thread to decide which is
> the case:

Jesus Christ, Jolly Roger. *You just proved you're an utter idiot.*

It takes less than ten seconds to prove _all_ you idiot Apologists wrong.
(Your entire religious belief system has absolutely no room for fact!)

It's shocking:
o *You're literally _that_ unfathomably ignorant of iOS for Christs' sake*.

Its actually shocking how unfathomably _stupid_ you iOS Apologists are.
Do you really need me to explain to you what you just showed pictures of?

Remember when Snit said for weeks that he "had me in the corner"
by "proving" (hehhehheh) that iOS could "graph WiFi" signal strength?

Remember this?
<https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo>

For weeks, Snit pushed this idiotic video which didn't show what he THOUGHT
it showed (he never even once looked at the Y axis - he's that ignorant):
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/PZuec56EWB0/qSXecrnZAQAJ>

Well guess what?
Yup.

You just proved (again) you're just as much an idiot as Snit, Jolly Roger.

I didn't think it was possible to be as _dumb_ as Snit proved to be.
But you take the cake Jolly Roger.

*You, Jolly Roger, just _proved_ you're as dumb as Snit.*
(And that's saying something.)

I'll let you figure out why it took me ONE LOOK to see that you're a moron.
Jesus Christ. If _all_ you Apple Apologist ignorati are _that_ stupid,
it pretty much explains everything.

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
23 Jan 2019, 21.22.0723/01/19
kepada
Update.

The Android, Windows, Linux use model has been working great.
We just have to find iOS apps that are as powerful as Android apps.

This is the use model that is working great so far (not tested on iOS yet):
o On any platform, I add to the calendar using appropriate free software
o Then I "export" that full or partial events.ics iCalendar file
o On any platform, I "import" that partial or full iCalendar file

This use model of "merging" iCalendar files from any platform over the LAN
seems to be working well (not tested on iOS yet).

Interestingly, this "merge" use model may very well be what we use for
our home-LAN-based password managers across all the platforms.
o Which free Android KeePass kdbx-compatible password database manager do you recommend?
o <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/yUrCZ2v0tmg>

This works well once we solved the cross-platform file-transfer problem:
o Do you know of a free Android SMBv2 (or SMBv3) client?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/tl3Q05QGyAw>

What we need to find for this simple use model to also work on iOS is:
o We need an iOS SMB client that can copy the events.ics file from Windows
o We need an iOS Calendar that can import/export iCalendar files

joe

belum dibaca,
23 Jan 2019, 23.45.4723/01/19
kepada
I would have thought in 2019 that we'd have calendar apps that could
automatically sync to a (home) server. That would get rid of all that
export/import foolishness.

nospam

belum dibaca,
24 Jan 2019, 00.01.2624/01/19
kepada
In article <q2bftq$111o$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, joe <no...@domain.invalid>
wrote:
we do.

he doesn't.

cue fabricated functionality rant.

Your Name

belum dibaca,
24 Jan 2019, 00.07.1324/01/19
kepada
On 2019-01-24 04:45:47 +0000, joe said:

> I would have thought in 2019 that we'd have calendar apps that could
> automatically sync to a (home) server. That would get rid of all that
> export/import foolishness.

You can using Calendar and iCloud, assuming you have a Mac running as a
home server.

With some messing about you could probably set-it up using any server
calendar app.

Savageduck

belum dibaca,
24 Jan 2019, 00.41.0224/01/19
kepada
My calendar is synced between my iPhone, iPod and Mac without me doing
anything other than using iCloud.

--

Regards,
Savageduck

Jolly Roger

belum dibaca,
24 Jan 2019, 11.12.0024/01/19
kepada
Yup. And that goes for most Apple users who don’t have their head firmly
wedged between their stinky, rotten, trolling ass cheeks.

JR

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
25 Jan 2019, 00.36.0125/01/19
kepada
On 24 Jan 2019 16:11:58 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Yup. And that goes for most Apple users who don¢t have their head firmly
> wedged between their stinky, rotten, trolling ass cheeks.

What's interesting is that Savageduck & Jolly Roger _prove_ my point!
o The _only_ solution you Apologists can come up with - uses Apple servers!
o *You can't even _comprehend_ a solution that doesn't use Apple servers!*

Meanwhile, on Android, "it just works".

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
25 Jan 2019, 00.36.0525/01/19
kepada
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 00:01:25 -0500, nospam wrote:

> we do.
>
> he doesn't.
>
> cue fabricated functionality rant.

Hi nospam,
Name just one.

arlen holder

belum dibaca,
3 Apr 2019, 03.11.0403/04/19
kepada
On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 10:15:01 -0600, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:

> Hi folks!
> I've been following this thread with interest because I've also been
> searching for a program like this for quite a while. I already use
> "Rainlendar" and it faithfully played an hourly chime for me - until a
> Windows Update UNinstalled my Realtek sound program without warning.
> (Strangely enough, I can still hear this sound play, but *only* when using
> Bluetooth headphones!) Anyway, a BIG public "Thank You!" to Arlen Holder for
> this great tip - it works great and I have my sound again!! :-D
>
> Neil ━D

Hi Neil Turkenkopf,

Regarding...
o Does a clock app exist that has ClocX functionality, but digital output?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/hb7rIwIL6SI>

Thanks to GlowingBlueMist, we have good solutions for an external clock:
o DSclock (digital) <https://www.dualitysoft.com/dsclock/index.html>
o ClocX (analog) <http://www.clocx.net/>
where some people also use a clock that replaces the system tray clock
o T-clock (system) <https://github.com/White-Tiger/T-Clock/releases>

It's strange you mention Rainlendar, because the _only_ problem I have is
that Rainlendar uses the _system_ clock, and not its own time-zoned clock.

That's too bad because my scripts randomly run tzutil.exe to rotate the
system time zone, which affects nothing adversely, EXCEPT Rainlendar.

It would be nice if Rainlendar used its own TimeZone just like ClocX and
DSClock do.

The main reason I'm using Rainlendar is that I have a privacy-based local
calendar solution that doesn't require the Internet.
o I view & modify the desktop calendar using Rainlendar lite freeware
o I view & modify the Android calendar using SimpleMobileTools
o On iOS, unfortunately, this basic functionality doesn't appear to exist

What's beautiful about this method is...
o There is zero need to put your calendar on "the cloud"
o You simply import/export text "ics" icalendar format files
o The Windows/Linux/Android calendar programs easily "merge'
o So you can edit the iCal file on _any_ platform (but iOS)

*Linux* non-cloud privacy-based local LAN calendar solution:
o <https://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_rny_download>

*Windows* non-cloud privacy-based local LAN calendar solution:
o <https://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_rny_download>

*MacOS* non-cloud privacy-based local LAN calendar solution:
o <https://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php?option=com_rny_download>

*Android* non-cloud privacy-based local LAN calendar solution:
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro>

*iOS* non-cloud privacy-based local LAN calendar solution:
o iOS appears to completely lack this basic privacy-based functionality

Arlen Holder

belum dibaca,
30 Des 2019, 12.32.3130/12/19
kepada
TECHNICAL UPDATE:
o Do people of reasonable technical ability store their private data on the Internet (if so, for what gain?)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/E0TkTd-zLuk/fF1RRv51AwAJ>

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 17:15:49 +0100, Cohen wrote:

> Private data stored on the Internet? Of course! Backblaze and Restic
> (client side encryption before uploading the data). Encrypting the data
> yourself before uploading is wise.

Thank you Cohen, not only for ignoring nospam's always unhelpful and
incessantly childish remarks, but for your purposefully helpful adult
on-topic technical suggestion of considering "Restic & Backblaze" for
backup/storage where I agree with you that backing up personal data to the
cloud and storing private data on the cloud should be done with careful
thought (e.g., multiple levels of encryption).

In the past, for data that must be stored in a cloud account, I've posted
TrueCrypt/Veracrypt advice for storing data inside of (multiply) encrypted
file containers (e.g., *.tc or *.vc files); and for data that doesn't need
to be on the net, I've posted advice for syncing your passwords over your
local LAN using Keepass (kdbx) databases, and syncing calendars over your
local LAN using ics files - all without _ever_ needing an "account" of any
sort (which all my solutions require to be general purpose solutions).

And I've posted advice for syncing contacts vcard (*.vcf) files across your
local lan, where I consider it rude to store other people's contact
information on the cloud.
o What are some key common databases you often SHARE between your desktop & mobile devices?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ovnHGVriYsI/0frYPkC3AQAJ>

As most here are aware, I advise general purpose solutions which are always
free, where of the five common consumer platforms, only iOS lacks freeware
for privacy-based standard platform-independent solutions.

For example, every platform other than iOS has freeware for standard *.tc
portable encrypted file containers, where, for example, you can store
private data (e.g., tax records, family photos, identification documents,
etc.) in singly or doubly encrypted file containers which work just fine on
any of the five common consumer platforms.
o Best [iOS] freeware for portable encrypted file containers
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/8GGgFKaW-70/WCXEXfVYBAAJ>
o Best [Android] freeware for portable encrypted file containers
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/cas1QJ_j2uI/4Uut0HGrBgAJ>

Likewise, every platform other than iOS has freeware for local calendar ics
file import (as far as anyone has posted to the Apple newsgroups anyway),
so that you don't need to put your private calendar on the Internet.
o Does a free offline non-Internet calendar app exist for iOS that imports/exports ICS text files?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/OzUOmgJLmZs/Xzx9DMxnFAAJ>
o Has anyone here ever set up a CalDAV server on Windows for use with Android CalDAV clients?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/52iSsFUQinE/AflgVrHVEAAJ>

Luckily, all five common consumer platforms have freeware to store
passwords in the standard mutually compatible encrypted kdbx format:
o Which free iOS KeePass kdbx-compatible password database manager do you recommend?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/4bMe2LnPvPA/5h0THhXzDAAJ>

We're even beginning to document the Android/iOS free encryption keyboards!
o If not the default, what free Android keyboard are you using & why do you like it?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/CmZAI0OsXDs/fy-hAKwrBgAJ>

Having documented those privacy-based portable general-purpose freeware
solutions for all five common consumer platforms, I readily admit I was
unaware of Backblaze & Restic, so I appreciate this helpful additional
technical advice which hasn't come up in my queries in the past.

Hence, I thank you on my behalf and for the others on this public potluck
who benefit from the adult technical conversation - for *adding value* to
the technical conversation with your purposefully helpful suggestions.

Upon initial inspection, Backblaze appears to be a payware cloud solution
for something like $6 USD per month, so I won't delve deeper (unless that
first-pass skim assessment is incorrect):
o Backblaze Personal Backup (payware)
<https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html>

However, Restic appears to be a more general solution in that it's free.

o Restic freeware
<https://restic.net/>
"restic is a program that does backups right"
"restic is a backup program that is fast, efficient and secure.
It supports the three major operating systems (Linux, macOS, Windows)
and a few smaller ones (FreeBSD, OpenBSD)."
o Restic documentation
<https://restic.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>
o Restic source & binaries:
<https://github.com/restic/restic/releases/tag/v0.9.6>

*Restic appears to be a keeper as a general purpose backup solution!*
o The resulting files can basically be stored anywhere you like
(including on the Google Cloud, according to the documentation)
--
Usenet is a wonderful public potluck where adults share topics of value.
0 pesan baru