Include "Identification Comments" in Total # of Comments, Comment Search, etc.

bouteloua

Dec 3, 2017, 10:16:32 AM12/3/17
to iNaturalist
Text attached to an identification is not shown in an observation's total number of comments. This is frustrating when trying to find a specific observation like when a helpful identifier described how two similar species are different.

These "ID comments" also do not appear in the recent comment list or when searching comments.

It would be really helpful if these "Identification Comments" were included in the total number of comments, comment search, and recent comment list.
Other nice places would be in the observation filters or on /identifications

Even if such a search were very slow, I would still use it. :)

related:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/APFKVKG3ZKY/JxszJA2r69IJ orig request to search comments, ken-ichi's obliging w/ lame version of search, which I think hasn't been touched since then
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/EjtdnYrFIZs/vhfWYB__BgAJ request to search comments (but ID comments are excluded)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/MQJF8pQX8xE/bdL9O436CAAJ what do observation number labels mean? (but ID comments are excluded in this number)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/lf_qFnTpncE/8pLtcKefBwAJ request to search where I was mentioned (mentions attached to IDs are excluded from the comment search)
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/inaturalist/As6jrHkRILg/Y-hXx5KdCQAJ request to display # comments by a user on profile page (ID comments should be included in this #)
commentnumberinat.png
commentsfilterobs.png
commentidentinat.png

Charlie Hohn

Dec 3, 2017, 12:45:01 PM12/3/17
to iNaturalist
yes please

megatherium

Dec 3, 2017, 1:05:26 PM12/3/17
to inatu...@googlegroups.com
100x yes please.  The "ID comments" are quite hidden, and I not infrequently only see really nice helpful comments long after the fact and purely by chance when checking old observations.

GanCW

Dec 5, 2017, 9:57:16 PM12/5/17
to iNaturalist
I vote for this too !

stanw...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2017, 8:25:19 PM12/6/17
to iNaturalist
I think it would be incredibly helpful to be able to filter on whether observations have comments.  I find, by chance, lots of useful information embedded in comments but when there are a large number of observations to sort through most of which do not have comments it just is too time consuming.  It would be great to be able to specify species and location and then filter on observation with comments.

Upupa epops

Dec 8, 2017, 2:09:44 PM12/8/17
to iNaturalist
I would also like to see both the features mentioned here. I often look for ID discussions and they're currently a pain to find.

tony rebelo

Dec 10, 2017, 4:54:19 AM12/10/17
to iNaturalist
A minor comment about accessing comments.
(And sorry, but it is my iSpot experience again).
The comment summary on a user's profile is very useful for educators evaluating student and scholar input into school and university projects.  Both to discover profound discussions, but also to intercept purile remarks that youngsters are sometimes prone to make.
I have not yet got into the iNat teacher's guide (https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/teacher's+guide) in detail, but all our iSpotter educators moving to iNat would really appreciate this feature added as it was used by them a lot.

ta
Tony

Chris Vynbos

May 30, 2018, 6:28:35 AM5/30/18
to iNaturalist
Just noticed today that identification notes are now appearing in  https://www.inaturalist.org/comments and so presumable turn up when searching comments. Great news. Thanks.

bouteloua

May 30, 2018, 5:59:38 PM5/30/18
to iNaturalist
ID comments/notes will show up in the list, but only if there is another non-ID comment on that observation.

Chris Vynbos

May 31, 2018, 12:34:20 AM5/31/18
to iNaturalist
thanks iii. nothing like dog's vomit for breakfast!
I withdraw my exuberant previous comment.