comment searches

paloma

Nov 9, 2017, 7:26:44 PM11/9/17
to iNaturalist
Would it be possible to enable searching for comments that would also be for species or genus, etc., to bring up all comments that have been made about that particular taxon (whether it ultimately was confirmed or not)?

Russell P

Jan 4, 2018, 9:07:17 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
There's a secret way to search through your own comments here:

Is there a non-secret way to access the "search comments" feature???

But I don't know of a way to search for a comment made by someone else.

-Russell

bouteloua

Jan 4, 2018, 9:22:19 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
https://www.inaturalist.org/comments?commit=Search&q=test will search all comments (change "test" to something else)

Chris Cheatle

Jan 4, 2018, 9:30:17 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
Unfortunately that won't run a search, just return every comment ever made. It does not filter based on the query. If you open the URL you get a list, the first one has no mention of "test". Change test to robin and you'll get the exact same list. No matter what you pass, you get 23,000 plus pages in return.

cassi saari

Jan 4, 2018, 9:33:14 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
Oh, weird. It definitely works for me. I use this feature every day,

cassi

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Chris Cheatle <cmch...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately that won't run a search, just return every comment ever made. It does not filter based on the query. If you open the URL you get a list, the first one has no mention of "test". Change test to robin and you'll get the exact same list. No matter what you pass, you get 23,000 plus pages in return.

robin.png
test.png

Chris Cheatle

Jan 4, 2018, 9:40:34 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
Strange, it may seem odd, but I'm guessing it is an oAuth issue and you need to be logged in. When I ran it I just pasted the URL into a new tab, and it returned everything as mentioned. When I reran after logging in, it worked as you mentioned.

Chris Cheatle

Jan 4, 2018, 9:53:27 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
Cassi,

If you run the robin search again, check the 13th observation a Brown Thrasher from December in Texas. I don't see the word robin on that observation

Chris Cheatle

Jan 4, 2018, 9:54:49 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
Sorry re above, but post button too soon. Then a couple more down is a Red Rim butterfly. Again I see no mention of robin in that. Any idea why they are returned ?

cassi saari

Jan 4, 2018, 9:57:26 AM1/4/18
to iNaturalist
"pROBINg the ground" and "pROBINg the back of these leaves"

cassi

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Chris Cheatle <cmch...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry re above, but post button too soon. Then a couple more down is a Red Rim butterfly. Again I see no mention of robin in that. Any idea why they are returned ?

Star Donovan

Feb 8, 2018, 6:52:43 PM2/8/18
to iNaturalist
Can you search for multiple terms this way?
eg., If I want to search for "fungus" and "dna" and "kit"