cannot disable two factor authentication

Ammammata

Nov 7, 2019, 3:16:49 AM11/7/19
ipad pro
latest iOS

I follow steps reported on the apple website but the option is always
grayed

any additional tip?

--
/-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /\/\ /-\ T /-\
-=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- -=- - -=-
........... [ al lavoro ] ...........

Arlen _G_ Holder

Nov 7, 2019, 4:18:49 AM11/7/19
On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 08:16:48 +0000 (UTC), Ammammata wrote:

> ipad pro
> latest iOS
>
> I follow steps reported on the apple website but the option is always
> grayed
>
> any additional tip?

Hi Ammammata,

Did you use two-factor authorization on iOS for more than 2 weeks?

I don't know you will so I'm not sure, offhand, if you're an apologist, so
I will simply assume you're a normal adult and therefore I will attempt a
normal adult discussion with you (which would be impossible with Jolly
Roger, nospam, Lewis, BK, Chris, joe, Joerg, Savageduck, Alan,
Hemidactylus, et al.), where, as I recall, I looked this up, not too long
ago, for badgolferman, where there's a lawsuit alleging that Apple will
_never_ let you turn off 2FA once you turn it on (after two weeks of use).

Let me dig that reference up for you to get you the details.

OK. Here's the first hit on <http://tinyurl.com/misc-phone-mobile-iphone>,
which is from "badgolferman", who is _not_ an Apple apologist (so a
completely different conversation can ensue than when apologists post).
o apple sued over two factor aithentication
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/APvVEzxLEes/UhS6zYjVAAAJ>

While apparently thinks the lawsuit is "stupid", the fact is that the
lawsuit has merit, IMHO, where I reported a quick analysis in this post:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/APvVEzxLEes/1w_w6oPYAAAJ>

The key sentence, for you, in that analysis, is this one line:
"B. Apple sends an email which is insufficient warning of irrevocability"
<https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/09/apple-being-sued-because-two-factor-authentication-on-an-iphone-or-mac-takes-too-much-time>

Note, if you're an apologist, you'll purposefully wax prolifically on what
you don't like about that lawsuit (e.g., the wasted time element), where an
adult would simply note that the RELEVANT element for this conversation is
the alleged PERMANENCE of Apple 2FA after the 2-week grace period has
expired.

Disclaimer!

Since I wouldn't think of using 2FA (in any product), for unrelated privacy
reasons, I do not have _any_ direct experience with 2FA, but I do have
direct experience with Apple destroying my data with insufficient notice
(e.g., the iTunes abomination will wantonly _destroy_ your entire music
collection on an iPod, ask me how I know this, sans any warning at the time
that it does that destruction), it's certainly not unheard of for Apple to
provide "insufficient notification".

In short, if you've had 2FA turned on for more than 2 weeks...
o You may be permanently locked into a Faustian deal with the Apple devil

I repeat the disclaimer that I have never used 2FA in any Apple product
(and likely never will), so I defer to others who have used the allegedly
permanent 2FA in Apple products, where I only provide this information to
purposefully advise you that you may be hosed if you've had 2FA turned on
for more than 14 days.

Apple, apparently, said they sufficiently warned you, which, I'm sure, the
apologists will claim that they did (just as they did with the iTunes
abomination).

BTW, Apple does say it in this document, which of course, is insufficiently
noted since it should be in BIG BOLD LETTERS at the top of EVERYTHING Apple
writes on 2FA, IMHO, since it's _that_ critically an unexpected Orwellian
rule:
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915>
"Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I¢ve turned it on?"
"If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer
turn it off."

Apparently, a search shows you may have been able to turn this Draconian
feature off in the past, according to this article anyway:
o How to Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID
<http://osxdaily.com/2016/08/17/disable-two-factor-authentication-apple-id/>

Please let me know if this helps, as I care to purposefully help people who
ask for help.

--
Bringing TRUTH & sensible adult logic to the Apple ngs, one fact at a time.

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 7:34:55 AM11/7/19
In article <XnsAB005E67F9E61am...@148.251.67.112>,
Ammammata <amma...@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> ipad pro
> latest iOS
>
> I follow steps reported on the apple website but the option is always
> grayed
>
> any additional tip?

it's required, as it should be everywhere, but sadly is not.

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 7:34:58 AM11/7/19
In article <qq0nho$unc$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> Since I wouldn't think of using 2FA (in any product), for unrelated privacy
> reasons, I do not have _any_ direct experience with 2FA,

clearly not, nor much else.

2factor makes things *more* secure and thereby *more* private and
should be mandatory everywhere, but unfortunately, is not.

> but I do have
> direct experience with Apple destroying my data with insufficient notice
> (e.g., the iTunes abomination will wantonly _destroy_ your entire music
> collection on an iPod, ask me how I know this, sans any warning at the time
> that it does that destruction), it's certainly not unheard of for Apple to
> provide "insufficient notification".

diversion, and false.

itunes *always* warns before deleting user content.

under *no* circumstances will itunes delete *anything* without user
confirmation.

you ignored that warning and blindly clicked without reading, thereby
confirming you *wanted* to delete content, so itunes did exactly what
you just told it to do.

you fucked up and refuse to accept responsibility.

in fact, the default button is cancel (the safe option) and if you
simply hit return/enter, it would *not* have deleted anything:
<http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/erase-iphone-sync-wi
th-this-itunes-library-2-610x384.jpg>

Ammammata

Nov 7, 2019, 8:42:36 AM11/7/19
Il giorno Thu 07 Nov 2019 01:34:55p, *nospam* ha inviato su
comp.mobile.ipad il messaggio
news:071120190734558052%nos...@nospam.invalid. Vediamo cosa ha scritto:

> it's required, as it should be everywhere, but sadly is not.

ok

the problem, the reason I'm asking this:

the device has its own apple id
the apps installed on it has been purchased using a different apple id

now, each time the user tries to buy/unlock something on the store, the
ipad asks for the "other" credentials but, after both apple id and password
has been inserted, there is this message to insert the 6-digit code that
has been sent... to whom? neither the user nor the "payer" get any code on
their many devices, it looks like there is an old phone number or device
assigned to this operation, thus they are not able to complete any
transaction

this is why I made the OP request

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 8:58:42 AM11/7/19
In article <XnsAB0095A4485AFam...@148.251.67.112>,
Ammammata <amma...@tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> the device has its own apple id
> the apps installed on it has been purchased using a different apple id

that will work, although inconvenient.

> now, each time the user tries to buy/unlock something on the store, the
> ipad asks for the "other" credentials but, after both apple id and password
> has been inserted, there is this message to insert the 6-digit code that
> has been sent... to whom? neither the user nor the "payer" get any code on
> their many devices, it looks like there is an old phone number or device
> assigned to this operation, thus they are not able to complete any
> transaction

you can generate the code from a trusted device associated with the
other apple id. you should also update the phone number too.

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204974>

Arlen _G_ Holder

Nov 7, 2019, 1:35:00 PM11/7/19
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 07:34:56 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> Since I wouldn't think of using 2FA (in any product), for unrelated privacy
>> reasons, I do not have _any_ direct experience with 2FA,
>
> clearly not, nor much else.

This is why ANY conversation involving you apologists, devolves to your
child-like brain, nospam.

> 2factor makes things *more* secure and thereby *more* private and
> should be mandatory everywhere, but unfortunately, is not.

Does _any_ other mobile phone manufacturer make 2FA PERMANENT, against your
wishes (clearly, based on the lawsuit & the OP)?

Or, yet again is it only Apple who is Orwellian in controlling YOUR device?

>> but I do have
>> direct experience with Apple destroying my data with insufficient notice
>> (e.g., the iTunes abomination will wantonly _destroy_ your entire music
>> collection on an iPod, ask me how I know this, sans any warning at the time
>> that it does that destruction), it's certainly not unheard of for Apple to
>> provide "insufficient notification".
>
> diversion, and false.

And yet, it's true.

You used to make the same kind of excuses for the Quicktime abomination.
And the Bonjour abomination.

> itunes *always* warns before deleting user content.
>
> under *no* circumstances will itunes delete *anything* without user
> confirmation.
>
> you ignored that warning and blindly clicked without reading, thereby
> confirming you *wanted* to delete content, so itunes did exactly what
> you just told it to do.
>
> you fucked up and refuse to accept responsibility.
>
> in fact, the default button is cancel (the safe option) and if you
> simply hit return/enter, it would *not* have deleted anything:
> <http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/erase-iphone-sync-wi
> th-this-itunes-library-2-610x384.jpg>

They call iTunes an abomination & bloatware for a reason, nospam.
You can apologize for iTunes all you want.

You're MORE RESTRICTED with the iTunes abomination, than without it.

Worse, Apple never tested iTunes in the real world so it's insecure.
o A zero-day vulnerability in iCloud and iTunes on Windows PCs allowed hackers to install ransomware undetected.
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/QnHBTfCI/a-zero-day-vulnerability-in-icloud-and-itunes-on-windows-pcs-allowed-hackers-to-install-ransomware>

IMHO, only an utter fool uses the iTunes abomination.
o It's proof they believe whatever marketing feeds them to believe.
--
Bringing sensible reasonable logic to Apple ngs, one fact at a time.

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 1:39:33 PM11/7/19
In article <qq1o4j$q5j$3...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> You're MORE RESTRICTED with the iTunes abomination, than without it.

nonsense.

itunes provides *more* ways to sort and organize music and video than
otherwise possible.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Nov 7, 2019, 1:50:49 PM11/7/19
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 13:39:34 -0500, nospam wrote:

> itunes provides *more* ways to sort and organize music and video than
> otherwise possible.

And yet, you're more RESTRICTED with the iTunes abomination
o Than without it.

And you have to deal with the fact Apple never sufficiently tested iTunes
o For years!

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 2:03:13 PM11/7/19
In article <qq1p28$sei$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> > itunes provides *more* ways to sort and organize music and video than
> > otherwise possible.
>
> And yet, you're more RESTRICTED with the iTunes abomination
> o Than without it.

again, false.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Nov 7, 2019, 3:59:06 PM11/7/19
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 14:03:15 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> And yet, you're more RESTRICTED with the iTunes abomination
>> o Than without it.
>
> again, false.

FACTS

Adults own a belief system based on actual facts, nospam.

Apologists' credibility is no better than a coin toss, nospam.
o I have iPads, I have PCs, I have USB cables & WiFi

Tell us what FUNCTIONALITY you can do, using the iTunes abomination
o That I would want to do, that, you claim, I can't do, right now,
o with the exact setup I have at home (which is well known to all).

--
Conversations by necessity are different with Apologists than with adults.

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 4:06:46 PM11/7/19
In article <qq20ip$cmk$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> Tell us what FUNCTIONALITY you can do, using the iTunes abomination
> o That I would want to do, that, you claim, I can't do, right now,
> o with the exact setup I have at home (which is well known to all).

you're moving the goalposts yet again.

it's not about what *you* personally want to do, but that itunes can do
all sorts of things not possible any other way.

it's all been explained to you on numerous occasions, and each time you
go off on a rant about something entirely unrelated, just as you did
here, given that this thread is about 2-factor authentication, not
itunes.

Arlen _G_ Holder

Nov 7, 2019, 4:21:06 PM11/7/19
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 16:06:45 -0500, nospam wrote:

> you're moving the goalposts yet again.

No, You're just incessantly fabricating imaginary functionality, again.

Like you did in this thread, for example (you make it all up).
o Name a single iOS app functionality that you can get for a buck, that isn't already on Android, for free
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/2ygyUAhbw6A/hIVaMWcAAwAJ>

*You _hate_ adding iTunes to a PC _reduces_ the functionality of the PC*!

> it's not about what *you* personally want to do, but that itunes can do
> all sorts of things not possible any other way.

All you know how to do, nospam, is what Apple MARKETING feeds you.
o You back up your private data to the iCloud & rent it back, for example.

I do whatever I want to do with my iPad & my PC.
o Where it's clear to me I have MORE functionality WITHOUT iTunes, than
with it (as far as I can tell from what I want and need to do with the
iPads that I own and with the network I have at home - which is well known
to you so I'm not changing anything but what I've always said I have).

I'm not afraid of facts like you apologists are nospam.
o In fact, my belief system is _bolstered_ by facts, nospam.

Unlike yours, which is static... and imaginary...
o My belief system can _change_ if facts show me otherwise...

Hence, I just opened this thread, for others to add value to:
o Is there any functionality the iTunes abomination does, for a dual-boot Win/Ubuntu PC that can't be done, better, WITHOUT iTunes?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/F-gWC05h1xQ/BwKcVv2HAAAJ>

It has Windows, Linux, and iOS users on it, which goes to show you, nospam,
I'm not afraid of facts like you apologists are (because my belief system
is _based_ on facts; it's not imaginary like yours always proves to be).

> it's all been explained to you on numerous occasions, and each time you
> go off on a rant about something entirely unrelated, just as you did
> here, given that this thread is about 2-factor authentication, not
> itunes.

Play your silly game nospam, where you have no adult response to facts.
o I can predict EVERYTHING you say since you only have 7 basic responses

o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple Apologists on this newsgroup?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/18ARDsEOPzM/veU8FwAjBQAJ>

--
The apologists only have 7 basic responses to facts which they don't like.

nospam

Nov 7, 2019, 4:47:25 PM11/7/19
In article <qq21s1$fg1$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen _G_ Holder
<_arlen....@halder.edu> wrote:

> > you're moving the goalposts yet again.
>
> No, You're just incessantly fabricating imaginary functionality, again.

nothing is imaginary, except the world in which *you* live.

> > it's all been explained to you on numerous occasions, and each time you
> > go off on a rant about something entirely unrelated, just as you did
> > here, given that this thread is about 2-factor authentication, not
> > itunes.

> o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple

as expected, you move the goalposts once again.

originally 2-factor, then itunes and now psych traits.

what's next?

Arlen _G_ Holder

Nov 7, 2019, 5:00:36 PM11/7/19
On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 16:47:25 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> No, You're just incessantly fabricating imaginary functionality, again.
>
> nothing is imaginary, except the world in which *you* live.

You apologists can never back up your belief system with facts
o Because apologists belief systems turn out to be wholly imaginary.

You apologists fail the simplest test of adult rational belief systems.
o Name just one

For example, in the prior referenced thread, you failed that simple test!
o Name a single iOS app functionality that you can get for a buck, that isn't already on Android, for free
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/2ygyUAhbw6A/hIVaMWcAAwAJ>

Why do you apologists constantly brazenly fabricate imaginary functionality?
o I don't know why.

I just know that you do, constantly, incessantly, sans a shred of fact.

For example, you brazenly fabricated imaginary iOS functionality here:
o Does the iTunes app store have any free disk encryption container software?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ACvkdg_zvDI/tYfHGdpTBAAJ>

And here...
o It's a fact iOS devices can't even graph Wi-Fi signal strength over time
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/PZuec56EWB0/rX-L9xbYAQAJ>

And here... where you brazenly denied that which even Apple admitted!
o Does iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, & iPhone XR have CPU throttling software (after "about a year")?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/MowwVxafiaQ/zirQC6mVBQAJ>

(You apologists constantly brazenly fabricate imaginary iOS functionality.)
o Apologists' credibility is no better than the results of a coin toss.

>>> it's all been explained to you on numerous occasions, and each time you
>>> go off on a rant about something entirely unrelated, just as you did
>>> here, given that this thread is about 2-factor authentication, not
>>> itunes.

>> o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple
>
> as expected, you move the goalposts once again.
>
> originally 2-factor, then itunes and now psych traits.
>
> what's next?

What can ALWAYS be predicted, nospam, is you apologists NEVER can back up
your claimed belief systems, with actual facts.

You always fail the simplest of basic tests of imaginary belief systems.
o Name just one.

o Why do Apple Apologists constantly brazenly fabricate what turns out to be wholly imaginary Apple functionality?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/SZfblCIRc9s/BNYMDpdXEgAJ>

Why do you brazenly fabricate imaginary functionality nospam?
o I don't know why.

I think you simply have no adult response to facts.
o Where wholly imaginary functionality is one of your 7 responses to facts.

--
Bringing FACTS to the childish Apple newsgroups, one thread at a time.