rec.crafts.metalworking scheduled for sporge flood

supe...@rec.crafts.metalworking

Aug 8, 2007, 8:54:53 PM8/8/07
Sporge flooding of rec.crafts.metalworking will commence in a few hours.

This will render rec.crafts.metalworking useless. For an example, see Sci.Crypt.

Supernews filters out this sporgery spam. Get a better Usenet
experience. Sign up for our risk-free trial today!

https://www.supernews.com/signup

--
For Ayman the state's operational, beneath me it's tough, whereas in search of you it's summoning african.

DoN. Nichols

Aug 8, 2007, 11:08:02 PM8/8/07
According to <supe...@rec.crafts.metalworking>:

> Sporge flooding of rec.crafts.metalworking will commence in a few hours.
>
> This will render rec.crafts.metalworking useless. For an example, see Sci.Crypt.

Note that the "Followup-To: " on this was set to sci.crypt, but
I have fixed that on my followup, at least.

> Supernews filters out this sporgery spam. Get a better Usenet
> experience. Sign up for our risk-free trial today!

And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from
supernews.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Too_Many_Tools

Aug 8, 2007, 11:26:08 PM8/8/07
On Aug 8, 10:08 pm, dnich...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
> According to <supern...@rec.crafts.metalworking>:

> > Sporge flooding of rec.crafts.metalworking will commence in a few hours.
>
> > This will render rec.crafts.metalworking useless. For an example, see Sci.Crypt.
>
> Note that the "Followup-To: " on this was set to sci.crypt, but
> I have fixed that on my followup, at least.
>
> > Supernews filters out this sporgery spam. Get a better Usenet
> > experience. Sign up for our risk-free trial today!
>
> And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from
> supernews.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.
>
> --
> Email: <dnich...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

> (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
> --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Correct...it is all over the Usenet.

TMT

Phil Carmody

Aug 9, 2007, 3:29:18 AM8/9/07
Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> writes:
> So this idiot is announcing, in a public forum, that he is going to
> commit a federal crime? Oh, good, I'll have to check the papers in a
> couple days to read about his arrest!
>
> Is his IP address 198.186.194.247? That was in the message header.

Perhaps if you spent more time looking at the 'Followups-To' header
you'd do a better job of not being part of the attack on sci.crypt.

And google 'joe job' while you're thinking about that.

Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

Wes

Aug 9, 2007, 9:40:03 AM8/9/07
dnic...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

>According to <supe...@rec.crafts.metalworking>:
>> Sporge flooding of rec.crafts.metalworking will commence in a few hours.
>>
>> This will render rec.crafts.metalworking useless. For an example, see Sci.Crypt.
>
> Note that the "Followup-To: " on this was set to sci.crypt, but
>I have fixed that on my followup, at least.
>
>> Supernews filters out this sporgery spam. Get a better Usenet
>> experience. Sign up for our risk-free trial today!
>
> And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from
>supernews.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.

I don't quite understand what this sporg thing is. My newsreader is set to
only reply to the group I read this by default. Keeps my OT replies local
;)

Wes

DoN. Nichols

Aug 10, 2007, 5:01:46 PM8/10/07
According to Wes <clu...@lycos.com>:

> dnic...@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:
>
> >According to <supe...@rec.crafts.metalworking>:
> >> Sporge flooding of rec.crafts.metalworking will commence in a few hours.
> >>
> >> This will render rec.crafts.metalworking useless. For an example, see Sci.Crypt.
> >
> > Note that the "Followup-To: " on this was set to sci.crypt, but
> >I have fixed that on my followup, at least.
> >
> >> Supernews filters out this sporgery spam. Get a better Usenet
> >> experience. Sign up for our risk-free trial today!
> >
> > And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from
> >supernews.

[ ... ]

> I don't quite understand what this sporg thing is.

You left off the terminal 'e'. It was new to me too, but
appears to be a combination of "spam" and "forge"

> My newsreader is set to
> only reply to the group I read this by default. Keeps my OT replies local
> ;)

Good practice -- especially if you don't look at the headers
before posting. (I must admit -- I don't usually look to that amount
of detail -- but this one got my suspicions going. :-)

cavelamb himself

Aug 13, 2007, 1:48:22 AM8/13/07
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

TMT?

Can you reply to this (if you ever see it???)

REM: in the subject line can be sorted.

It ain't great, but it looks like it WILL work

DoN. Nichols

Aug 13, 2007, 2:03:06 AM8/13/07
According to cavelamb himself <cave...@verizon.net>:

> Too_Many_Tools wrote:

> >> Note that the "Followup-To: " on this was set to sci.crypt, but
> >>I have fixed that on my followup, at least.

> >> And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from
> >>supernews.

[ ... ]

> > Correct...it is all over the Usenet.
> >
> > TMT
> >
> TMT?
>
> Can you reply to this (if you ever see it???)
>
> REM: in the subject line can be sorted.
>
> It ain't great, but it looks like it WILL work

If you put it in -- something took it out. Beware of a ':' in
the beginning of a "Subject: " header -- Microsoft's Outlook Express
thinks that it is "Re: " in some other language, deletes it, and
replaces it with "Re: ". Try putting it in square brackets instead.

And it looks as though my ISP (at least) is killing these almost
as fast as they are coming in. I found (last time I did a reply) that
of the 371 new ones which had just come in, 111 were already gone.
Either my ISP is doing it, or someone is running a very active
(and much needed) cancelbot.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Michael A. Terrell

Aug 13, 2007, 11:03:23 AM8/13/07

Supernews hasn't let anything through.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Tomi Häsä

Aug 14, 2007, 2:35:00 PM8/14/07
On Aug 9, 3:54 am, supern...@rec.crafts.metalworking wrote:
> Sporge flooding of rec.crafts.metalworking will commence in a few hours.

To help better filter this spammer, here are some of the sporge flood
warning messages in newsgroups where the sporge flood attacks actually
took place around August 2007:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sci.physics/browse_frm/thread/e9839800e6758018/6e609e72b81657d3#6e609e72b81657d3
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.written/browse_frm/thread/0e35d16f8f03fb4e/fc4ac60c079cd790#fc4ac60c079cd790
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.audio.marketplace/browse_frm/thread/14733370736c3e40/e331ae90a4dea2b4#e331ae90a4dea2b4
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.marketplace/browse_frm/thread/c272ab5b24b2bfca/b58351b0d791ccfe#b58351b0d791ccfe
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.birds/browse_frm/thread/d8eebc40bb481ee0/31a67e72d09863f7#31a67e72d09863f7
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_frm/thread/e42fd622e3502dbd/ee00c96633eebbe8#ee00c96633eebbe8
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.hockey/browse_frm/thread/8da17ff34ff960a5/ef98ae0e318da147#ef98ae0e318da147
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.retirement/browse_frm/thread/aacf1e47cf070640/1c83dfda93f5c65f#1c83dfda93f5c65f
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.sheds/browse_frm/thread/b731536953bcdcb8/8ba9bf0da081b6fc#8ba9bf0da081b6fc

Some of the false alarms (at least so far):

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sci.math.design_theory/browse_frm/thread/f5971ce0b96788aa/3c3f809d66e45295#3c3f809d66e45295
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sci.nmr/browse_frm/thread/36cef1193852a3c4/39c3de6d913a2705#39c3de6d913a2705
http://groups.google.com/group/cn.bbs.arts.ascii/browse_frm/thread/6df5a937751591fa/4c10d63ad0eb9908#4c10d63ad0eb9908
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.apps.winsock.misc/browse_frm/thread/f9bd2c54d9dd3c49/ad824f6602ce1379#ad824f6602ce1379
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.ms-windows.apps.winsock.news/browse_frm/thread/221406725bc9ef93/3d769d8738ae1216#3d769d8738ae1216
http://groups.google.com/group/de.rec.sport.golf/browse_frm/thread/33b45d87f9da6967/4e21c13b8bba07c0#4e21c13b8bba07c0
http://groups.google.com/group/de.sci.geo/browse_frm/thread/052c167bd4e39ec6/2ec3a1ef2f0eb172#2ec3a1ef2f0eb172
http://groups.google.com/group/de.sci.meteorologie/browse_frm/thread/6b9ba3ea22f7b047/5178aeb76f5c5de5#5178aeb76f5c5de5
http://groups.google.com/group/hr.sci.control/browse_frm/thread/a6eeb0a053f0a3af/267713a83b999dd8#267713a83b999dd8
http://groups.google.com/group/hsinchu.rec.thbs/browse_frm/thread/9ab1ccb4764df91a/50d7683ffbe8d2c3#50d7683ffbe8d2c3
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.jp.windows.directx/browse_frm/thread/f5263b4b0292799d/3c20949c67e16ab0#3c20949c67e16ab0
http://groups.google.com/group/nctu.mat-sci-eng/browse_frm/thread/4b46186fa569004d/406c7a53573a1228#406c7a53573a1228
http://groups.google.com/group/pl.rec.gry.konsole/browse_frm/thread/55a0bebb05cf12d9/ae52b644d8b23365#ae52b644d8b23365
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.drink.coffee/browse_frm/thread/3be3792a01972140/34ae07838100e097#34ae07838100e097
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.misc/browse_frm/thread/d086c97e26b47ca0/5394f1192ae57b5b#5394f1192ae57b5b
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.video.dvd.titles/browse_frm/thread/c0ad1dbc2e4b7484/3f1f65d13c9f15b5#3f1f65d13c9f15b5
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.data.formats/browse_frm/thread/badd7457ddbc5f84/5532fc25d6a35fdb#5532fc25d6a35fdb
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math.symbolic/browse_frm/thread/34147bbf7a567088/2eeb85a1cebe1f3c#2eeb85a1cebe1f3c
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.culture.arabic/browse_frm/thread/2fbecebfbba88e7a/287f51f97e7aebc3#287f51f97e7aebc3
http://groups.google.com/group/symantec.support.win95.nortonutilities.recyclebin/browse_frm/thread/f66f935b6ae33cb9/a6bc1fed70e17e43#a6bc1fed70e17e43
http://groups.google.com/group/tw.bbs.soc.changhua/browse_frm/thread/fd74f4733faaa79f/a5318dada8fb2727#a5318dada8fb2727
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.gov.social-work/browse_frm/thread/f728af7c7c579240/a3de383f915f367d#a3de383f915f367d

More sporge flood warning messages can be found with this search:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=sporge+flood&num=100&scoring=r&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_qdr=w&as_drrb=b&as_mind=4&as_minm=8&as_miny=2007&as_maxd=14&as_maxm=8&as_maxy=2007&safe=off

Filtering suggestion for the sporge flood attacks:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/browse_frm/thread/b1a5be766256e01f/69869a7d856ef65e#69869a7d856ef65e

More info about sporge flood attacks for newbies who might find this
thread confusing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporgery
http://bernie.cncfamily.com/sc/sporg.htm
http://www.wordsonline.org/Sporge
http://www.dansdata.com/sporge.htm
http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/sporgart.htm
http://www.talkaboutreligion.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/messages/1242545.html
http://www.holysmoke.org/forgeries/giganews.htm
http://www.usenetplus.com/blog/2007/07/12/of-sporge-and-lamers/

steamer

Aug 14, 2007, 2:44:03 PM8/14/07
DoN. Nichols <dnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
> And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from supernews.
--Thanks for the pointer. Oh, and if anyone figures out who "Joe"
really is, I'll kick in for a bounty pool to collect his index fingers,
bwahaha..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A steaming pile of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : obscure information...

Larry Jaques

Aug 14, 2007, 6:42:22 PM8/14/07
On 14 Aug 2007 18:44:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, steamer
<ste...@sonic.net> quickly quoth:

>DoN. Nichols <dnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>> And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from supernews.
> --Thanks for the pointer. Oh, and if anyone figures out who "Joe"
>really is, I'll kick in for a bounty pool to collect his index fingers,
>bwahaha..

Aren't we still collecting ears on our necklaces?
(What movie did that come from, anyway?) <titter>

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

steamer

Aug 14, 2007, 7:46:00 PM8/14/07
Larry Jaques <novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com> wrote:
>Aren't we still collecting ears on our necklaces?
>(What movie did that come from, anyway?) <titter>
--"Apocalypse Now" and yes, Kurtz had the right idea..

DoN. Nichols

Aug 15, 2007, 12:20:30 AM8/15/07
According to steamer <ste...@sonic.net>:

> DoN. Nichols <dnic...@d-and-d.com> wrote:
> > And this is apparently a joe job, not anything really from supernews.
> --Thanks for the pointer. Oh, and if anyone figures out who "Joe"
> really is, I'll kick in for a bounty pool to collect his index fingers,

You really don't want to do that. "Joe" was the victim, not the
perpetrator. It was a case of a bunch of spam forged to look as though
it came from him, when in reality he was an active anti-spamer. It did
result in a lot of complaints to his upstream, however, because most
people can't read the headers to see where it really comes from.