Okay, antenna talk time, what do you use?

SC Dxing

Dec 11, 2008, 5:10:02 PM12/11/08
After a week of owning the Grundig G6, so far the best antenna
arrangement for me is simply running a speaker wire along the ground
about 70 feet in my backyard. The Slinky antenna didn't work out well,
running a wire on the top of my house gave me more inference (plus
overloading), and the whip antenna isn't good on weaker signals. I've
heard that a CB antenna does well on the higher freqs on SW (15mhz and
above), if I can get one cheap, I'll try to hook that up on my roof.

My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

MNMikeW

Dec 11, 2008, 5:14:40 PM12/11/08

"SC Dxing" <scd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I have a wire strung around the attic. Works so-so.

dxAce

Dec 11, 2008, 5:14:41 PM12/11/08

SC Dxing wrote:

Two antennas here, one is a 70' wire running N-S and the other is 200' wire
running W-E.

Both are 9' above the ground and are transformer matched to 50 ohm coax which
makes a buried run into the house.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Burr

Dec 11, 2008, 6:18:23 PM12/11/08

"dxAce" <dx...@milestones.com> wrote in message

Morning, I have used a sloping "L" for years both in Ridgecrest, Ca. and
here in the Philippines. This works very well for me, just be sure to run
the long leg E-W.

Burr's Radio Shack - http://tinyurl.com/3wuscn

Red Mountain, California / Bulacan, Philippines

Message has been deleted

obamao.sux....@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2008, 7:16:11 PM12/11/08
On Dec 11, 4:10 pm, SC Dxing <scdx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

An ethernet cable connected to the internet.

Burr

Dec 11, 2008, 7:29:35 PM12/11/08

<obamao.sux....@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Dec 11, 4:10 pm, SC Dxing <scdx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

An ethernet cable connected to the internet.

That works. I use internet feeds a lot local U.S. feeds, sports and
scanning local U.S. stuff.
Butt, I use two short-wave radios and a scanner for the world stuff I want
to hear and I scan the Emergency Freq.'s a long the China Sea and air
freq.'s.

Telamon

Dec 11, 2008, 9:46:04 PM12/11/08
In article
<0bf3daa9-b771-4bb0...@t39g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
SC Dxing <scd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have two split shielded loops. One north-south and the other east-west.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

SC Dxing

Dec 11, 2008, 9:48:53 PM12/11/08
On Dec 11, 6:18 pm, "Burr" <pitz...@iwvisp.com> wrote:

> Morning, I have used a sloping "L" for years both in Ridgecrest, Ca. and
> here in the Philippines. This works very well for me, just be sure to run
> the long leg E-W.

I'll google that one and try it. I'm happy with the reception I am
getting but I guess part of the fun is playing around with stuff like
antennas.... I figure with my little unit, I can't ask it to do too
much. I figure I should have at least 2 different antenna lengths,
probably 4 would even be better.

I also figured out the SW radio I had 13 or so years ago, it was an RS
DX-390 that went kaput after 2 years. I remember it would auto-mute
though when flipping the dial. Too bad I mucked it, reading through
the web, it was probably fixable.

And DxAce, thanks much for your input.

Now if I could find a radio shop here in South Carolina besides Radio
Shack that sold shortwave/scanner stuff........

Burr

Dec 11, 2008, 10:11:47 PM12/11/08

"SC Dxing" <scd...@gmail.com>

Now if I could find a radio shop here in South Carolina besides Radio
Shack that sold shortwave/scanner stuff........

I buy all my stuff on line.

Burr

SC Dxing

Dec 11, 2008, 10:33:27 PM12/11/08
On Dec 11, 10:11 pm, "Burr" <pitz...@iwvisp.com> wrote:
> "SC Dxing" <scdx...@gmail.com>

Maybe it's my paranoia or the fear of them shipping an expensive item
and then having it break. But I have had success buying through
amazon.com on smaller things. Maybe that route, a hamfest, or flea
market. I'm going to wait a little bit to see if I am still playing
and listening to the G6 before getting an expensive set.

Thanks for your input....

Burr

Dec 11, 2008, 10:55:50 PM12/11/08

"SC Dxing" <scd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks for your input....

Try these

Universal Radio Catalog Index I use these a lot

R.L. Drake Company Product Categories
Welcome to Grove Enterprises on the Web. I use these people a lot
Antenna Warehouse
antennawarehouse.com
Scanner Radios

If you need more if let me know>

Burr

Dave

Dec 12, 2008, 8:56:11 AM12/12/08

Alpha Delta DX-B Half Sloper on 44' top-loaded steel mast.

Dave

Dec 12, 2008, 8:59:25 AM12/12/08

Grove is in Brasstown, NC. How far is that?

Bob Campbell

Dec 12, 2008, 9:48:29 AM12/12/08
"SC Dxing" <scd...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> My question is, what do you use for an antenna to listen to shortwave?

My dozens of portables just use the built in whip. I get good enough
reception on the 2nd floor of my house here.

My radios that don't have built in antennas (Drake R8 and some 1930s tube
radios) use a random wire strung in the attic.

helm...@noneofyourbusiness.net

Dec 12, 2008, 11:52:48 AM12/12/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 09:48:29 -0500, "Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob>
wrote:

R6000 In the ham room for the ts450sat and just the whip up stairs for
the Satellite800.

Justtis

Dec 12, 2008, 12:08:22 PM12/12/08
__My dozens of portables just use the built in whip__
Hi Bob
Dozens of portables...what kinds do you have? I'm an amateur collector
myself. Some are listed in one of my posts yesterday. I'm always bothered
by some type of interference or another, that's why I have to use the
MFJ-1026 at times.
"Bob Campbell" <b...@bob.bob> wrote in message

RHF

Dec 12, 2008, 2:30:55 PM12/12/08

SC Dxing,

FWIW - Presently I have an Inverted "L" Antenna with a
26 Foot Vertical Up-Leg and a 103 Foot Horizontal Out-Arm

31 Meters Shortwave Radio Band = 25.8 Feet
* 31 Meters = 9400 <> 9900 kHz

120 Meters Shortwave Radio Band = 102.5 Feet
* 120 Meters = 2300 <> 2495 kHz

Using a WR LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter
WinRadio = http://www.grove-ent.com/WR0130.html
at the base of the Vertical Up-Leg with a 50 Foot
Coax Cable feed-in-line.

Plus a 8 Foot Ground Rod at the base of the Vertical Up-Leg
.
- - - = = = More Reading Only If You Want To = = = - - -
.
A Snake-on-the-Gound Antenna made of a single piece of
Coax Cable may be better than the Speaker Wire Antenna.

* Snake-in-the-Attic SWL Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a2df8cbaad872a89
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/6ffa3949ed737796

* The In-Door Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna
-with- An Out-Side Antenna Element
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/80a916f4cc134e1d
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/fc544af32df58ab9

* A Simple External Antenna 'Combo' For Your Portable
AM/FM Shortwave Radio - "The MFJ Snake !"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/4f0482421d02e624
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/00b4587908f285cf

The Inverted "L" Antenna is generally 'The Better' Antenna
for most Shortwave Radio Listeners (SWL)s because it
combines so many construction elements that add-up-to
an Antenna with good signal levels and lower noise.

* SWL -Newbies- Installing an Inverted "L" Antenna : The Right-Way !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/27ca62e0c0e838ea
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e0b3ddbed819958d
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/63a2eeb7d013a8d6
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/968d942beafeb8fe

* The Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) : Sloper Antenna
-versus- Inverted "L" Antenna : The 3:4:5 of It !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/3e7f982be7601f51
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/ea0de363c21d19ba
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e0a1f3009a6994f9

* Setting-Up the PAR Shortwave Antenna as an
Inverted "L" Antenna - About As Good as It Gets !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/22eb2ae9ea9496eb
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/9537e60eacf3de76
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/1ef8c7d2341dc271

* What About Using a 9:1 Matching Transformer with a
Longwire Antenna and a Ground at the Radio Shack ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/8f8b6a5e41949aad
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/e24cd5e4a449fb60
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/53cdfea266c933c1

* WHY - Bury Your Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
Antenna's CoaxCable Feed-in-Line ?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/c1f39d908e051b5f
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/0bd87ebddffdc2eb
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/59a0d093cc146921

* For Basic Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
-Think- Inverted "L" Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/fa0a3255b9ad5367
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/4605daf92be1207c
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/da4e78044fafe71e

* Consider Buying or Building a better Shortwave Listener's (SWL)
Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/b02ff595de9fea91
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/4311c0ac4f084b87
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/a1f41e85486b0ed9
.
.
hope this helps with the quest for a backyard
shortwave antenna - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening*
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
Reference Message Signature-Line = http://tinyurl.com/25zbrg
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/411dac3b4a1798e0
.
* Remember 55.5% of Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
is the Shortwave Antenna = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
.
RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
SHACK INFO = http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm
Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
.
.

Bob Campbell

Dec 12, 2008, 6:43:26 PM12/12/08
"Justtis" <jus...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> __My dozens of portables just use the built in whip__
> Hi Bob
> Dozens of portables...what kinds do you have? I'm an amateur collector
> myself. Some are listed in one of my posts yesterday.

Switched the subject from antennas to radios.

In no particular order:

Grundig YB 400
Grundig YB 400PE
Grundig YB 500
Grundig S350
Grundig Satellit 2100
Grundig Satellit 700
Grundig Satellit 650
Grundig Satellit 800
Tecsun BCL 2000 (same as S350 above)
Panasonic RF-1150B
Panasonic RF-2200
Zenith Royal 94
Kaito KA1102
Degen DE1102
Tecsun PL-230

Hmm, that's only 15. I guess it just seems like more. :-) I'm probably
forgetting a couple.

Drake R8 (original, no mods or firmware upgrades. Bought barely used from
a guy on CompuServe around 1992/93. Remember CompuServe?).

Tube radios:

Philco 40-150 huge table - 1940 (7 tube)
Philco 38-15 small table - 1938 (5 tube)
Philco 37-62 large table - 1937 (5 tube)
Zenith 5-S-127 large tombstone - 1936 (5 tube)
Zenith 6D-2615 small table - 1940 (6 tube)
E. H. Scott Imperial Allwave large console - 1936 (23 tube)
(3) Zenith K-731 large table - 1961? (7 tube)
(3) Zenith H-845 large table - 1963? (8 tube)
Emud (German) Rekord 60 Senior huge table 1960? (8 tube)

BCBlazysusan

Dec 13, 2008, 6:49:14 AM12/13/08
On Dec 11, 9:46 pm, Telamon
<telamon_spamshi...@pacbell.net.is.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <0bf3daa9-b771-4bb0-b2da-5fddc3a3b...@t39g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,

I have a Alpha Delta DX sloper running north to south and a terminated
long wire running east to west. I also run a length of 11 gauge wire
150 ft northeast. I use the long wires at times also for the BCB when
needed but usually will use my loop antennas on a couple of
turntables. Three other different kinds of scanner antennas mounted 20
ft. high and the bad ass Channel Master antenna 30ft. in the air. :-)

Mark Zenier

Dec 12, 2008, 3:45:44 PM12/12/08

It depends on what sort of antenna the radio is designed for.

My Grundig FR-200 (the $40-$50 crank powered) shortwave is designed for
high impedance with the short whip. You can tell if the signal gets
weaker if you touch the antenna. No external antenna input.

You can really boost performance (when running on batteries) with a
couple of 10-15 feet lengths of wire with alligator clips. Clip one
onto the antenna, and clip the other onto the radio's circuit ground.
That's the negative side of the battery string, or the outside of the
headphone jack, or the negative side of the dc-power jack. Run them in
a straight line with the radio in the middle, broadside to the direction
to the station. (Not for the AM band, that uses the internal loopstick,
for most portables).

Buzzword: counterpoise.

Using headphones may have a similar effect, as the headphone cable and
your bod take the place of the wire. Likewise, running on the AC adapter,
but that may add more noise.

Mark Zenier mze...@eskimo.com

RHF

Dec 13, 2008, 1:16:25 PM12/13/08
On Dec 12, 12:45 pm, mzen...@eskimo.com (Mark Zenier) wrote:
> In article <0bf3daa9-b771-4bb0-b2da-5fddc3a3b...@t39g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> Mark Zenier  mzen...@eskimo.com

> Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Two Simple 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio Reception Tricks

Aluminum Foil Counterpoise :
Note - First Fully Extend the Radio's Whip Antenna
Yeah sometimes taking a piece of Aluminum Foil
12" by 18"~24" and simply placing the Foil under
the Radio will improve the 'reception'
-tip- Some people will use a Metal Cookie Sheet
instead of the Aluminum Foil

"Grounding" The Radio :
Note - First Fully Extend the Radio's Whip Antenna
Sometimes connecting a Ground Wire to the Radio
will reduce the noise pick-up and improve the signal.
Try touching a Ground Wire to the Outer Ring of the
Headphone Jack and any Body Screws.

Try Both In-Combination
Note - First Fully Extend the Radio's Whip Antenna
Place the Aluminum Foil under the Radio
Attach a Ground Wire to the Foil

Remember that these Tricks usually work best with
the Radio running on Batteries Only; and with the
Radio's Whip Antenna fully extended.

what works works - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening