Names of Plants in India :: Asystasia gangetica

Assigned to samima...@gmail.com by me

Dinesh Valke

Mar 26, 2011, 2:02:17 PM3/26/11
to efloraofindia
via Species‎ > ‎A‎ > ‎

Asystasia gangetica

Flowers of IndiaDiscussions at efloraofindiamore views in flickrmore views on Google Earth

commonly known as: Ganges primrose, Chinese violet, creeping foxglove  Gujarati: kaligharani  Kannada: ಲವಣ ವಲ್ಲಿ lavana valli  Malayalam: valli-upu-dali  Marathi: लवण वल्ली lavana valli  Tamil: மிதிகீரை miti-kirai

botanical names: Asystasia gangetica (L.) T. Anderson ... synonyms: Asystasia coromandeliana Nees • Asystasia intrusa (Forssk.) Blume • Justicia gangetica L. • Ruellia intrusa Forssk. • Ruellia zeylanica J. Koenig ex Roxb.

... must we wonder ?
  • The Latin name of this plant Aystasia gangetica suggests that the plant is to be found along the river Ganges or in the Gangetic plains ... stretching along many regions of India ... yet there seems to be no name known in Hindi or Bengali !!

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Mar 26, 2011, 3:11:57 PM3/26/11
to efloraofindia
I AM IMPRESSED. Actually I peeped into author citations first and
found all of them correct and had a smile on my face :).
BTW, Wikipedia says COROMANDEL as one of the common names for this
plant which is missing from your list. I imagine why they call it so?
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Pankaj

On Mar 26, 11:02 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> via Species <https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-species>‎> ‎A <https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-species/a>‎ > ‎
>
> *Asystasia gangetica*
> [image: Asystasia
> gangetica]<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fdi...>
>
> [image: Flowers of
> India]<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flowersofindia.net%2Fcat...>[image:
> Discussions at efloraofindia]<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#%21searchin/indiantreepix/Asys...>[image:
> more views in flickr]<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fsearch%2F%3...>[image:
> more views on Google
> Earth]<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.flickr.com%2Fservices%2F...>
>
> *commonly known as*: Ganges
> primrose<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/g...>
> , Chinese violet<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/c...>
> , creeping foxglove<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/english/c...>
>  • *Gujarati*: kaligharani<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/gujarati/...>
>  • *Kannada*: ಲವಣ ವಲ್ಲಿ lavana
> valli<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/kannada/l...>
>  • *Malayalam*:
> valli-upu-dali<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/malayalam...>
>  • *Marathi*: लवण वल्ली lavana
> valli<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/marathi/l...>
>  • *Tamil*: மிதிகீரை
> miti-kirai<https://sites.google.com/site/indiannamesofplants/via-names/tamil/mit...>
>
> *botanical names*: *Asystasia gangetica* (L.) T. Anderson ...
> *synonyms*: *Asystasia
> coromandeliana* Nees • *Asystasia intrusa* (Forssk.) Blume • *Justicia
> gangetica* L. • *Ruellia intrusa* Forssk. • *Ruellia zeylanica* J. Koenig ex
> Roxb.
>
> ... *must we wonder* ?
>
>    - The Latin name of this plant *Aystasia gangetica* suggests that the

Dinesh Valke

Mar 26, 2011, 9:32:42 PM3/26/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dear Pankaj ... many thanks for validating the author citations ... am sure there are few pair of eyes who will critically check them ... so there is no harm in attempting to put them along with the common names that are being compiled.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Coromandel is an English name given to many places ... interestingly, most of them along the sea ... am sure you know, we have Coromandel coast in the south east side of our peninsula.
At Wikipedia, in the context [ Chinese Violet, Coromandel[2] or Creeping Foxglove[3] ] it must be an adjective ... thus it would mean either Coromandel Foxglove OR Creeping Foxglove.
It also very well suits one of the synonym - Asystasia coromandeliana ... meaning Coromandel Asystasia

I missed on Coromandel Foxglove !! ... many thanks, will put it in my notes.

Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 26, 2011, 9:57:26 PM3/26/11
to Dinesh Valke, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Useful Plants of India (CSIR)  mentions Medday keerai as Tamil name. Plus following information may be useful

Used as pot-herb; tender leaves good source of thiamine; juice of plant administered to children suffering from swellings and rheumatism.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dinesh Valke

Mar 27, 2011, 1:49:42 AM3/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for the Tamil name, will put it into the notes.
Very keen on getting the Hindi and Bengali names of this plant.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 21, 2016, 9:00:43 AM9/21/16
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com, sahani...@gmail.com

Dinesh Valke

Mar 28, 2017, 2:50:46 PM3/28/17
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar

J.M. Garg

Mar 29, 2017, 1:03:45 AM3/29/17
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Pankaj Kumar
Thanks, Dinesh ji

Dinesh Valke

Sep 16, 2021, 7:53:32 AM9/16/21
to efloraofindia
Names compiled / updated at https://dineshvalke.blogspot.com/2021/09/asystasia-gangetica-l-tanderson.html

Regards.
Dinesh

Thanks, Dinesh ji

Dinesh Valke

Sep 16, 2021, 7:56:02 AM9/16/21
to efloraofindia

Asystasia gangetica (L.) T.Anderson

Asystasia gangetica (L.) T.Anderson

a-sys-TAH-zee-uh -- Greek: a- (non) and systasia (united, consistent) ... Dave's Botanary
gan-GET-ee-kuh -- of or from the Ganges river ... Dave's Botanary

commonly known as: Chinese violet, Coromandel foxglove, creeping foxglove, Ganges primrose • Bengali: গঙ্গাতারা gangatara • Gujarati: લુણીવેલ lunivel • Kannada: ಮೈತಳ ಕಡ್ಡಿ maithala kaddi, ಮೈತ್ತ ಬಳ್ಳಿ maitta balli, ಮೆದ್ಧೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪು meddhe soppu, ಮೂಗುತಿ ಗಿಡ mooguthi gida • Malayalam: തുപ്പലംപൊട്ടി tuppalampotti, വള്ളി ഉപ്പുതാളി valli upputhali, വേലിപടക്കം velipatakkam • Marathi: लवण वल्ली lavana valli • Sanskrit: लवण वल्ली lavana valli • Tamil: மிதிகீரை miti-kirai • Telugu: లవణ వల్లి lavana valli, ముక్కముంగెర mukka mungera, పొద బీర poda beera, తప్పెట tappeta, వెన్న కట్టె తీగ venna kattethige • Tulu: ಮೈತಳ meitala, ಮೈತ್ತಬಳ್ಳು maithaballu

botanical names: Asystasia gangetica (L.) T.Anderson ... synonyms: Asystasia coromandeliana Nees • Justicia gangetica L. • Ruellia coromandelina Nees • Ruellia gangetica (L.) R.Br. ... and many more listed at POWO
Bibliography / etymology
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
Chinese violet, Coromandel foxglove, creeping foxglove
Ganges primrose
~~~~~ BENGALI ~~~~~
গঙ্গাতারা gangatara
  • Many thanks to Halim Bhuiyan for help with this name in his post ... facebook
  • Many thanks to Ahsan Habib for help with this name in his post ... facebook
~~~~~ GUJARATI ~~~~~
લુણીવેલ lunivel
~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
ಮೈತಳ ಕಡ್ಡಿ maithala kaddi
ಮೈತ್ತ ಬಳ್ಳಿ maitta balli
  • Many thanks to Shiva Nedle for help with this name ... efloraofindia
ಮೆದ್ಧೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪು meddhe soppu
ಮೂಗುತಿ ಗಿಡ mooguthi gida
തുപ്പലംപൊട്ടി tuppalampotti
വള്ളി ഉപ്പുതാളി valli upputhali
  • Shodhganga - Medicinal plants of Tulunadu
  • Many thanks to Vinaya Raj V R for help with this name ... facebook
വേലിപടക്കം velipatakkam
~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
लवण वल्ली lavana valli
~~~~~ SANSKRIT ~~~~~
लवण वल्ली lavana valli
மிதிகீரை miti-kirai
  • for synonym Asystasia coromandeliana Nees ... Tamil lexicon [Madras], University of Madras
~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
లవణ వల్లి lavana valli, ముక్కముంగెర mukka mungera, పొద బీర poda beera, తప్పెట tappeta, వెన్న కట్టె తీగ venna kattethige
ಮೈತಳ meitala, ಮೈತ್ತಬಳ್ಳು maithaballu
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/485e175e-1042-43c2-9099-f8b14bc44841n%40googlegroups.com.