Acanthaceae for id 180310MK2

Muthu Karthick

Mar 18, 2010, 7:48:05 AM3/18/10

19-01-2010 / 11:00 AM

c 136.jpg
c 137.jpg
c 138.jpg
c 139.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 18, 2010, 9:41:12 AM3/18/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Muthu ji,
I hope the plant in the attached photo is ....................

Ruellia tuberosa L., Sp. Pl. 635. 1753. Maheshw., Fl. Delhi 272. 1963; Stewart in Nasir & Ali, l.c. 678; Rani & Mathew in Mathew, Fl. Tamal. Carn. 3(1): 1197. 1982.
An erect, up to 60 (-70) cm tall herb with stout, 4-angled stems, swollen and purplish at the nodes, tender parts sparsely hairy. Roots slender, elongated, tuberous. Leaves with up to 2 cm long petiole; lamina oblong-obovate to oblanceolate, 5-9 (-10) x 2-4 cm, shining, basally cuneate to attenuate, entire to ± undulate, obtuse to somewhat acute, often mucronulate. Flowers shortly pedicellate, blue-violet, showy, 5-5.5 cm long, c. 3.5 cm across, solitary or in 1-3-flowered, terminal or axillary cymes; bracts and bracteoles linear-lanceolate, c. 5 mm long. Calyx lobes ± equal, linear, 1.3-2 cm long, ciliate, acute. Corolla pubescent outside, tube c. 3.5 cm long, abruptly narrowed at base, limb 5-lobed, lobes ± equal, ovate, c. 1.5 cm long, patent. Stamens with oblong-sagittate, c. 4 mm long, puberulous anthers. Ovary oblong, c. 4 mm long, glabrous; style 2.3-2.5 cm long. Capsule oblong, 2.2-3 cm long, glabrous or scabrescent, 24-28-seeded, minutely beaked at tip. Seeds flattened, orbicular, c. 2 mm across, hairy.

Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Dinesh Valke

Mar 18, 2010, 10:03:36 AM3/18/10
to tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
... me thinks it to be Asystasia gangetica ... commonly known as: asystasia, Ganges primrose, Chinese violet, creeping foxglove • Kannada: ಮೆದ್ಧೆ ಸೊಪ್ಪು meddhe soppu • Malayalam: valli-upu-dali • Marathi: लवण वल्ली lavana valli • Sanskrit: लवण वल्ली lavana valli • Tamil: மிதிகீரை miti kirai

Regards.

R. Vijayasankar

Mar 18, 2010, 12:26:30 PM3/18/10
to Dinesh Valke, tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Agree with Dinesh ji. Its Asystasia gangetica.
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
National Center for Natural Products Research,
The University of Mississippi,
Oxford, MS-38677, USA.

Pardeshi S.

Mar 19, 2010, 2:59:14 AM3/19/10
to efloraofindia
it is
Asystasia gangetica (L.) T. Anders in Thwates, Enum. 235, 1860;
Almeida, Fl. Mah. 4: 7, 2003; Singh et al. Fl. Mah. St. 2: 596, 2001.
Synonyms: Justicia gangetica L., Amoen. Acad. 4: 299, 1759. A.
violacea Dalz. in Kew. J. Bot. 2: 137, 1850. A. crispata Bth. in
Linnaea 24: 647, 1851. A. coromandeliana Wt. ex Nees in Wall. Pl.
Asiat. Rar. 3: 89, 1832. Cl. in Hook. f., Fl. Brit. India 4: 483,
1884; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 2: 566, 1958 (Repr.). A. zeylanica Koeng
ex Roxb., Fl. Ind. 3: 42, 1832.
Common names: Lavana valli.

regards

Muthu Karthick