Names of Plants in India :: Kannada name of Asystasia gangetica

Dinesh Valke

Sep 21, 2016, 9:28:52 AM9/21/16
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara Swamy
Dear friends, please help me with the name maithaala kaddi in Kannada script.
I think it could be this: ಮೈತಾಲ ಕಡ್ಡಿ.  Please validate; and will be very glad to know meaning of maithaala.

Reference: Shodhganga 10 Chapter 4 - Medicinal plants of Tulunadu

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Sep 23, 2016, 5:06:36 AM9/23/16
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

J.M. Garg

Sep 23, 2016, 11:12:55 PM9/23/16
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shivaprakash Nv

Sep 24, 2016, 12:05:35 AM9/24/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shivaprakash Nv
Thanks very much Shiva for this help.
Any meaning of maitta ? It seems to be used in both Kannada as well as Tulu.
Regards.
Dinesh

M Swamy

Sep 24, 2016, 11:52:12 PM9/24/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Garg ji / Dinesh ji,

I will look into the meaning and revert to you.  For the last two days I was busy with other project work.

M.Swamy

J.M. Garg

Sep 26, 2016, 8:43:37 AM9/26/16
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Shivaprakash Nv, M Swamy

Dinesh Valke

Sep 27, 2016, 7:13:52 AM9/27/16
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shivaprakash Nv
Dear Shiva,
Any meaning of ಮೈತ್ತ that you know ?

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Sep 27, 2016, 7:20:00 AM9/27/16
to efloraofindia

Sep 27, 2016, 7:20:18 AM9/27/16
to efloraofindia
Mar 28, 2017, 11:58:12 AM3/28/17
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Mahadeswara
While compiling names for Hygrophila ringens, I found this name ಮೈತಳ meitala in Tulu-English Dictionary (1886) by Rev. A. Männer
The entry in dictionary says the plant (Ruellia ringens) is used in medicine and purifying salt.

Perhaps, Asystasia gangetica has similar properties.
Thus the name maithala kaddi will be ಮೈತಳ ಕಡ್ಡಿ ... ಕಡ್ಡಿ kaddi = small stick, slender rod.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Mar 29, 2017, 12:56:54 AM3/29/17