[First Project] Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery

Brian Arthmire

Sep 10, 2022, 7:35:41 PM9/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
This was already proposed under a different thread, but creating a new thread here with accurate subject.

Project Gutenberg text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51
Internet Archive page scans: https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont

Weijia Cheng

Sep 10, 2022, 9:07:43 PM9/10/22
to Standard Ebooks
Since the Met is a museum with a CC0 collection and this painting has the "OA Public Domain" icon, you don't need to find separate PD proof for this (though that is a good skill to practice). You just have to keep in mind that these are the only museums we are allowed to use images from without PD proof (unless you can clearly prove that the museum has explicitly licensed the images under CC0, in which case it can get added to the manual).

Not sure who's managing this so someone else can give the final stamp of approval for the cover.

B Keith

Sep 11, 2022, 9:50:47 AM9/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Cover looks good. You might want to try and lighten it up a bit. As Weijia said you don’t need both a CCO museum and  PD proof, but if you do please link to the specific page so we don’t have to thumb through the text… Thanks

Bruce

Brian Arthmire

Sep 17, 2022, 5:35:04 PM9/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Update:

I have been following the step-by-step guide and am now at the point of proofreading and making small editorial changes on a chapter-by-chapter basis. The cover image selection was based on a recommendation from a previous producer, but after going through the book I will most likely want to choose a different one. Only thing that I'm unsure of is when running SE lint on the book, there is still one error that I cannot figure out how to resolve:

Empty element in metadata.

As far as XHTML goes, this looks syntactically correct. When I run SE build-images it keeps the cover as an SVG, not JPG, so if I were to finish my editorial changes today (ha), I don't see SE tools magically converting the SVG to JPG now. If I update the meta content to cover.svg, I still get the empty element error when running lint.

I'm going to keep proofreading for now (will take a while), but was just wondering if others have come across this peculiarity and it will eventually resolve itself, or if I didn't follow the instructions correctly and ended up messing something up.

B Keith

Sep 17, 2022, 5:57:37 PM9/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Well I’m a at loss as to where that bit of code came from. Looking through other Standard  projects the only mention of cover is <item href="images/cover.svg" id="cover.svg" media-type="image/svg+xml" properties="cover-image”/> in the content.opf. Did you chage the content.opf file or the default  cover?

The svgs are dealt with in the build process.

Alex Cabal

Sep 17, 2022, 6:14:06 PM9/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That line is inserted during build and should not be present in the
ebook source. Did you accidentally copy in content.opf from a compiled
epub, instead of using `se create-draft`?
>> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/10-art-and-images#10.3.3.7.4>
>> and this painting has the "OA Public Domain" icon, you don't need
>> to find separate PD proof for this (though that is a good skill to
>> practice). You just have to keep in mind that these are the /only/
>> museums we are allowed to use images from without PD proof (unless
>> you can clearly prove that the museum has explicitly licensed the
>> images under CC0, in which case it can get added to the manual).
>>
>> Not sure who's managing this so someone else can give the final
>> stamp of approval for the cover.
>>
>> On Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 4:35:41 PM UTC-7 Brian Arthmire
>> wrote:
>>
>> This was already proposed under a different thread
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/iNxuXx2LYjc/m/nphG50vUDAAJ>,
>> but creating a new thread here with accurate subject.
>>
>> Project Gutenberg text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51>
>> Internet Archive page scans:
>> https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont
>> <https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont>
>> Potential cover art:
>> https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/435991
>> <https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/435991>
>> Cover art PD source:
>> https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000413271
>> <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000413271>
>>
>> GitHub Repository:
>> https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island
>> <https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2f9f9991-c63d-4572-8ce0-11c50a92490dn%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2f9f9991-c63d-4572-8ce0-11c50a92490dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e81c570a-01da-4939-86b2-a8125f171c9dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e81c570a-01da-4939-86b2-a8125f171c9dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brian Arthmire

Sep 18, 2022, 4:33:23 PM9/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thank you both; that did the trick. What I did was I followed the step-by-step instructions (se create-draft) but then when filling out the variables in content.opf I compared my version with the published version from Anne of Green Gables to make sure that I didn't miss anything. I must have copied it over because when I removed the <meta name="cover" tag, se lint is now happy. As long as it gets inserted back in toward the end of the build process (se prepare-release?), I should be fine because the only items left in lint are editorial issues (e.g., unbalanced quotes).

Thanks again!

B Keith

Sep 18, 2022, 4:37:28 PM9/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
FWIW what happens is se build takes a correctly formed project and builds multiple versions. The resulting compatible epub loses a lot of the advanced stuff like svgs in order to be, well, compatible. ;-)

Brian Arthmire

Sep 26, 2022, 2:56:35 PM9/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
Manual of Style question. When I run "se lint" it accurately reports "Period followed by lowercase letter." This occurs repeatedly in Chapter 5 during a letter that a child has written to Anne. The letter has terrible spelling and grammar, but it is supposed to since it is written by a child. These are not typos and correcting them with an [Editorial] commit would ruin the intent of the letter.

So I guess my question is, am I allowed to ignore se lint Manual Review warnings (Code t-029), or is there some way to add XHTML semantics to suppress the warnings/errors? I don't see anything addressing this in the Manual of Style. An example snippet from the letter is:

Milty bolter told me a grate story in school yesterday. it is troo. old Joe Mosey and Leon were playing cards...

Suggestion on how to keep the integrity of the original source yet let others know semantically that the spelling/grammar is intentional would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alex Cabal

Sep 26, 2022, 3:25:05 PM9/26/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can ignore them, see
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#2.3 for how to use
the se-lint-ignore.xml file

On 9/26/22 1:56 PM, Brian Arthmire wrote:
> Manual of Style question. When I run "se lint" it accurately reports
> "Period followed by lowercase letter." This occurs repeatedly in Chapter
> 5 during a letter that a child has written to Anne. The letter has
> terrible spelling and grammar, but it is supposed to since it is written
> by a child. These are not typos and correcting them with an [Editorial]
> commit would ruin the intent of the letter.
>
> So I guess my question is, am I allowed to ignore se lint Manual Review
> warnings (Code t-029), or is there some way to add XHTML semantics to
> suppress the warnings/errors? I don't see anything addressing this in
> the Manual of Style. An example snippet from the letter is:
>
> Milty bolter told me a grate story in school yesterday. it is troo. old
> Joe Mosey and Leon were playing cards...
>
> Suggestion on how to keep the integrity of the original source yet let
> others know semantically that the spelling/grammar is intentional would
> be appreciated. Thanks!
> On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 4:37:28 PM UTC-4 BTK wrote:
>
> FWIW what happens is /se build /takes a correctly formed project and
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2f9f9991-c63d-4572-8ce0-11c50a92490dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2f9f9991-c63d-4572-8ce0-11c50a92490dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> > --
>> from it, send
>> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e81c570a-01da-4939-86b2-a8125f171c9dn%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e81c570a-01da-4939-86b2-a8125f171c9dn%40googlegroups.com>
>>

>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e81c570a-01da-4939-86b2-a8125f171c9dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e81c570a-01da-4939-86b2-a8125f171c9dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fa390f07-7e3a-44d8-b6c2-4c65eb8ce1c4n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fa390f07-7e3a-44d8-b6c2-4c65eb8ce1c4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29d227d7-8432-47d7-83fd-2ca725c57dc8n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29d227d7-8432-47d7-83fd-2ca725c57dc8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Sep 26, 2022, 3:25:55 PM9/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
Those should be ok to ignore.

File them in the se-lint-ignore.xml file: https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/2-filesystem#2.3 and they can be checked on review

Bruce

Brian Arthmire

Sep 26, 2022, 6:52:07 PM9/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
Beautiful. Thank you both so much. That is exactly what I was looking for; I completely missed it earlier. Thanks for being patient with this newbie.

Brian Arthmire

May 30, 2023, 10:56:03 PM5/30/23
to Standard Ebooks
After a long hiatus, I am finally coming back to this, my first project. I am over 70% complete with proofreading, with all changes thus far committed to the repository at https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island.

In the past few months, I found a much better potential cover art at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg. Is Wikimedia to be trusted when they state a work of art is Public Domain or do I need to independently verify?

Vince

May 31, 2023, 12:03:35 AM5/31/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You have to independently verify. See SEMoS 10.3.3.7.

Weijia Cheng

May 31, 2023, 12:48:56 AM5/31/23
to Standard Ebooks
Actually, you are lucky once again, because this image is from RISD and licensed under CC0 ;)

On Wikimedia, it's good to check the references, because the original image might have been licensed under CC0 (like you saw here) or there could be a reference to an art book that provides PD proof if you dig into it.

Brian Arthmire

May 31, 2023, 8:30:34 AM5/31/23
to Standard Ebooks
So because the Summer painting is in the Rhode Island School of Design collection under CC0, I do not need to hunt down a publication that includes the printed painting? I.e., I'm allowed to commit into my project? That would be most helpful because I've been trying to find a book that includes this painting and am having a rough time of it. In the meantime, I'll continue proofreading the final ~30% and post back here when ready for review. Thanks!

Weijia Cheng

May 31, 2023, 8:50:18 AM5/31/23
to Standard Ebooks
I would carefully read this part of the manual: https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/10-art-and-images#10.3.3.7.4

The idea is that if you find a painting from one of these museums and the image has been licensed under CC0 by the museum (which you can find by checking the criterion given in the list), you don't need to find separate proof (i.e. a book scan) for the public domain status. You should still check with the mailing list with your manager to see if they approve the painting before you commit it (so they can verify the CC0 license and make sure that the painting is appropriate to the book, and not already used elsewhere). But all you have to do in that case is post the museum entry link and point to the CC0 license on the museum page.

Alex Cabal

May 31, 2023, 12:20:05 PM5/31/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I lost this project in my records. It looks like Bruce was managing it?
But he's away right now, Weijia do you want to take over?

On 5/31/23 7:30 AM, Brian Arthmire wrote:
> So because the Summer painting is in the Rhode Island School of Design
> collection under CC0, I do not need to hunt down a publication that
> includes the printed painting? I.e., I'm allowed to commit into my
> project? That would be most helpful because I've been trying to find a
> book that includes this painting and am having a rough time of it. In
> the meantime, I'll continue proofreading the final ~30% and post back
> here when ready for review. Thanks!
>
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 12:48:56 AM UTC-4 Weijia Cheng wrote:
>
> Actually, you are lucky once again, because this image is from RISD
> <https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912> and
> licensed under CC0 ;)
>
> On Wikimedia, it's good to check the references, because the
> original image might have been licensed under CC0 (like you saw
> here) or there could be a reference to an art book that provides PD
> proof if you dig into it.
>
> On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 9:03:35 PM UTC-7 Vince wrote:
>
> You have to independently verify. See SEMoS 10.3.3.7
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7>.
>
>> On May 30, 2023, at 9:56 PM, Brian Arthmire
>>
>> After a long hiatus, I am finally coming back to this, my
>> first project. I am over 70% complete with proofreading, with
>> all changes thus far committed to the repository at
>> https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island
>> <https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>.
>>
>> In the past few months, I found a much better potential cover
>> art at
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg>. Is Wikimedia to be trusted when they state a work of art is Public Domain or do I need to independently verify?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

May 31, 2023, 8:52:57 PM5/31/23
to Standard Ebooks
Sure, I can manage this project going forwards.

Weijia Cheng

Jun 1, 2023, 11:43:06 PM6/1/23
to Standard Ebooks
Brian, I checked whether the painting has been used before in the corpus and it has not, so you are free to use Summer from RISD if you wish.

Brian Arthmire

Jun 2, 2023, 9:51:38 AM6/2/23
to Standard Ebooks
Weijia: Fantastic. Thanks for the verification. I will commit to the repository and wrap up the final proofreading.

Lia Ristiana

Oct 28, 2023, 11:24:00 PM10/28/23
to Standard Ebooks
Hi everyone,

I am a student who's looking for a project to contribute to. I see this thread hasn't been updated in a while. Is this project done? Can I help with something?

Alex Cabal

Oct 28, 2023, 11:25:54 PM10/28/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, this project was abandoned. Usually we ask that new attempts
start fresh instead of trying to build on an abandoned attempt, because
it's hard to see where a producer left off and what's left to do in an
ebook.

On 10/28/23 7:51 AM, Lia Ristiana wrote:
> [...]
>
> Brian, I checked whether the painting has been used before in
> the corpus and it has not, so you are free to use /Summer/ from
> <https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912 <https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912>> and
> > licensed under CC0 ;)
> >
> > On Wikimedia, it's good to check the references,
> because the
> > original image might have been licensed under CC0
> (like you saw
> > here) or there could be a reference to an art book
> that provides PD
> > proof if you dig into it.
> >
> > On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 9:03:35 PM UTC-7 Vince
> wrote:
> >
> > You have to independently verify. See SEMoS 10.3.3.7
> >
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7 <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7>>.
> >
> >> On May 30, 2023, at 9:56 PM, Brian Arthmire
> >>
> >> After a long hiatus, I am finally coming back to
> this, my
> >> first project. I am over 70% complete with
> proofreading, with
> >> all changes thus far committed to the repository at
> >>
> https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island <https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>
> >>
> <https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island <https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>>.
> >>
> >> In the past few months, I found a much better
> potential cover
> >> art at
> >>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg>>. Is Wikimedia to be trusted when they state a work of art is Public Domain or do I need to independently verify?
> >
> > --
> emails from it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Micki Smith

Dec 6, 2023, 5:15:53 PM12/6/23
to Standard Ebooks
Hi everyone,

Looks like perhaps this project has been abandoned again-- I see this thread hasn't been updated since October.
I'm looking for a first project to contribute to.
Lia, if you're still working on this, I would be more than happy to contribute.
Thanks!

Micki Smith

Dec 6, 2023, 5:15:53 PM12/6/23
to Standard Ebooks
Hi everyone.

Looks like this project might have been abandoned again. I'm interested in starting it again as a first project. Any objections?
Lia, if you are still working on it, I'd be happy to help, as I know how to use GitHub as a designer.

Thanks all.

Alex Cabal

Dec 6, 2023, 5:39:43 PM12/6/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This is open to take up if you'd like. Please check the previous threads
for introductory information, instructions on how to start, and any
gotchas. Once you get started, please send a link to your Github repo.
Thanks!
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg>> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Summer_1909_Frank_Weston_Benson.jpg>>>. Is Wikimedia to be trusted when they state a work of art is Public Domain or do I need to independently verify?
> > >
> > > --
> > emails from it, send
> > > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/50161837-5e2a-40d6-b1a9-2a944b76da3an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brian Arthmire

Dec 30, 2023, 4:24:24 PM12/30/23
to Standard Ebooks
Micki or Lia:

I had started a repository and got a lot of the typos fixed for the first 70% of the book but never finished getting the last 30% in Git. Latest version is still at https://github.com/arthmire/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island, but I never updated the cover art from the person I took this project over from; I had been planning on using https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912. Let me know if you do not get around to this and I can pick this back up again. Thanks.

gwen...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2024, 8:33:46 PMFeb 12
to Standard Ebooks
Hello,

Is anyone actively working on Anne of the Island?  I would like to take this project on as a first project if it is available.

Thanks

Alex Cabal

Feb 13, 2024, 1:56:44 AMFeb 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That one has been abandoned several times, so you can pick it up if
you'd like.

Please search the group archives for previous attempts, and note
anything of interest that came up.

There is an epigraph and a dedication, which should go in separate
files. This also means you'll have to include a half title page. There's
some poetry and a letter or two, see the manual for how to style those.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 2/12/24 7:33 PM, gwen...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> from it,
> > send
> > > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7113000d-7c66-4274-9eff-dac4bd95250cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c543e684-c088-44ef-a1ae-d051f45c253dn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c543e684-c088-44ef-a1ae-d051f45c253dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Micki Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 1:41:21 PMFeb 13
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for abandoning this project-- this was not my intention.
I must not have had my notifications turned "on"; I never saw the response I got at the end of December about being able to dig into this project. I thought it wasn't ago, or someone else had taken over.

I'd still love to contribute to this project, so thank you for the response and all the links. I know we can finish this project together once and for all.

Alex Cabal

Feb 13, 2024, 1:43:47 PMFeb 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Let's let gwebyr take it on for now. Thanks!

On 2/13/24 12:41 PM, Micki Smith wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > it, send
> > > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> > >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6a80f000-907f-4659-9952-961e8786d855n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c543e684-c088-44ef-a1ae-d051f45c253dn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c543e684-c088-44ef-a1ae-d051f45c253dn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c543e684-c088-44ef-a1ae-d051f45c253dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c543e684-c088-44ef-a1ae-d051f45c253dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5eccfbb7-a5e1-4430-ad62-3b413d308b62n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5eccfbb7-a5e1-4430-ad62-3b413d308b62n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

gwen...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2024, 4:19:20 PMFeb 13
to Standard Ebooks
I'll be primarily using the FadedPage transcription because it is much cleaner.

FadedPage text: https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20120606

Project Gutenberg text: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51

Cover art: https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912

GitHub Repository: https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island

Vince

Feb 13, 2024, 4:28:59 PMFeb 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Be aware you’ll need to be more careful than normal when proofreading. I’ve done at least a half-dozen books from Faded Page, and the number of typos in their transcriptions is generally quite a bit more than the normal Gutenberg. (This is a very early Gutenberg (id=51), so it’s the exception.)

Gwen Byrne

Feb 13, 2024, 5:03:16 PMFeb 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That is good to know.

However, for this book, I did a diff of the Gutenberg and FadedPage versions and manually compared differences to the page scans at the Internet Archive. I found about 30 “errors” in the entirety of the FadedPage version. In the Gutenberg version, I found the same number of errors in just the first four chapters of the forty-one chapter book.  I stopped counting, but a git diff shows 231 insertions and 221 deletions in my Gutenberg branch.

Since I’ve used both transcripts, I intend to credit both sets of proofreader in the Colophon.

Gwen

On Feb 13, 2024, at 1:29 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:

Be aware you’ll need to be more careful than normal when proofreading. I’ve done at least a half-dozen books from Faded Page, and the number of typos in their transcriptions is generally quite a bit more than the normal Gutenberg. (This is a very early Gutenberg (id=51), so it’s the exception.)

Alex Cabal

Feb 13, 2024, 5:11:01 PMFeb 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If there are that many differences then they probably just used a
different edition. It's very common for different editions to have
totally different punctuation, spelling, etc. So you should pick one of
those editions and find page scans that match it.

Emma can you manage this with Lukas reviewing?

On 2/13/24 4:03 PM, Gwen Byrne wrote:
> That is good to know.
>
> However, for this book, I did a diff of the Gutenberg and FadedPage
> versions and manually compared differences to the page scans at the
> Internet Archive. I found about 30 “errors” in the entirety of the
> FadedPage version. In the Gutenberg version, I found the same number of
> errors in just the first four chapters of the forty-one chapter book.  I
> stopped counting, but a git diff shows 231 insertions and 221 deletions
> in my Gutenberg branch.
>
> Since I’ve used both transcripts, I intend to credit both sets of
> proofreader in the Colophon.
>
> Gwen
>
>> On Feb 13, 2024, at 1:29 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:
>>
>> Be aware you’ll need to be more careful than normal when
>> proofreading. I’ve done at least a half-dozen books from Faded Page,
>> and the number of typos in their transcriptions is generally quite a
>> bit more than the normal Gutenberg. (This is a /very/ early Gutenberg
>> (id=51), so it’s the exception.)
>>
>>> On Feb 13, 2024, at 3:19 PM, gwen...@gmail.com <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll be primarily using the FadedPage transcription because it is
>>> much cleaner.
>>>
>>> FadedPage text:https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20120606
>>> <https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20120606>
>>> Project Gutenberg text:https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51
>>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51>
>>>
>>> Internet Archive page
>>> scans:https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont
>>> <https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont>
>>>
>>> Cover art:https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912
>>> <https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912>
>>>
>>> GitHub
>>> Repository:https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island <https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Feb 13, 2024, 5:11:21 PMFeb 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Cover art looks good, I've added it to the database

On 2/13/24 4:03 PM, Gwen Byrne wrote:
> That is good to know.
>
> However, for this book, I did a diff of the Gutenberg and FadedPage
> versions and manually compared differences to the page scans at the
> Internet Archive. I found about 30 “errors” in the entirety of the
> FadedPage version. In the Gutenberg version, I found the same number of
> errors in just the first four chapters of the forty-one chapter book.  I
> stopped counting, but a git diff shows 231 insertions and 221 deletions
> in my Gutenberg branch.
>
> Since I’ve used both transcripts, I intend to credit both sets of
> proofreader in the Colophon.
>
> Gwen
>
>> On Feb 13, 2024, at 1:29 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:
>>
>> Be aware you’ll need to be more careful than normal when
>> proofreading. I’ve done at least a half-dozen books from Faded Page,
>> and the number of typos in their transcriptions is generally quite a
>> bit more than the normal Gutenberg. (This is a /very/ early Gutenberg
>> (id=51), so it’s the exception.)
>>
>>> On Feb 13, 2024, at 3:19 PM, gwen...@gmail.com <gwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll be primarily using the FadedPage transcription because it is
>>> much cleaner.
>>>
>>> FadedPage text:https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20120606
>>> <https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20120606>
>>> Project Gutenberg text:https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51
>>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51>
>>>
>>> Internet Archive page
>>> scans:https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont
>>> <https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont>
>>>
>>> Cover art:https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912
>>> <https://risdmuseum.org/art-design/collection/summer-13912>
>>>
>>> GitHub
>>> Repository:https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island <https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Feb 14, 2024, 12:29:15 PMFeb 14
to Standard Ebooks
I can manage.

Emma

gwen...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2024, 1:53:30 PMFeb 16
to Standard Ebooks
I've found a number of changes from the page scans to the transcriptions that follow the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style rules. Examples are moving punctuation outside of italics (8.2.4), adding the oxford comma, and italicizing ship names.  Do I need to back out these changes so that I have a "clean" transcription, and then immediately revert the changes with an "editorial" commit?  Is there a best practice for this sort of thing? I probably wouldn't even have noticed several of these issues except I was comparing two different transcriptions.

Also, I'm struggling with understanding when to mark a commit as "[Editorial]."  Aren't most typography changes editorial?  One example is removing the word "Chapter" from chapter titles.  Another example would be changing punctuation from italics to non-italics. Yet another example is the subtle formatting changes that occur when following the structural patters for letters(7.7).  However, the example commit message is just "Manual typography changes" without any editorial notice.

Thanks,
Gwen

Emma Sweeney

Feb 16, 2024, 3:25:49 PMFeb 16
to Standard Ebooks
It's really common for there to be slight differences in punctuation between different editions and not something to worry about. Try to find page scans that match that particular edition. You don't need to make a "clean" transcription.

[Editorial] commits are reserved for making changes to the spelling of words in a transcription. If you are changing punctuation, spacing, HTML structure or semantics, letter case, expanding ligatures, or restoring original text, these are not editorial changes. Typography is mainly correcting punctuation, spacing, and letter case. Manual typography changes, like removing italics and restructuring letters, involves adding/removing HTML elements and not changing the plain text. Making changes based on the rules under the Typography section of the manual, like removing the word "Chapter", would be included in the commit "Manual typography changes".

Emma

Alex Cabal

Feb 18, 2024, 11:14:20 PMFeb 18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Note that adding or removing Oxford commas is not in our style manual.
Where did you see that?
> Repository:https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island <https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island> <https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island <https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island>>
> >>
> >> --

> >> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> >> standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> >> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C7BF32D1-0815-41EB-A04D-4BF61001E691%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aba542ff-c04c-4c26-8e18-7af7725759a2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aba542ff-c04c-4c26-8e18-7af7725759a2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Gwen Byrne

Feb 19, 2024, 12:14:48 AMFeb 19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Correct, commas are not mentioned in SE Manual of style, however it does say:

“If a rule is not covered in this manual, the directive is to follow the rules in the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition”

I don’t have access to the 16th edition right now, but I was able to borrow a copy of the 17th edition from the library. The CMoS calls the Oxford comma a serial comma and strongly recommends its use.

Is it the ame in the 16th edition?

Gwen

> On Feb 18, 2024, at 8:14 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Note that adding or removing Oxford commas is not in our style manual. Where did you see that?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a0a02fc-88ed-4151-a7f8-fb774c80c53b%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Feb 19, 2024, 11:35:27 AMFeb 19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I don't know, but you don't have to update that kind of thing. In
general we don't add or remove punctuation unless it's an obvious typo.

Gwen Byrne

Feb 19, 2024, 12:01:21 PMFeb 19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Alright, I can remove the added commas.

Gwen

> On Feb 19, 2024, at 8:35 AM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> I don't know, but you don't have to update that kind of thing. In general we don't add or remove punctuation unless it's an obvious typo.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/21d28ee1-cb56-45b1-b109-24ad47a04045%40standardebooks.org.

gwen...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2024, 6:41:17 PMFeb 24
to Standard Ebooks

I’m working through the italics. It appears that in Anne of the Island, names of characters in fictional works were italicized. I believe that these were not put in italics for emphasis, but because they were fictional non-Anne-of-the-Island characters. The bulk of these names are characters that Anne Shirley created for her short story “Averil’s Atonement” which she discusses with her friends in chapter 12.

Should I keep these names italicized? I could mark them with semantic inflection as epub:type="z3998:persona" and epub:type="z3998:*-name". I did not see any rules for short story character name formatting in the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style.

There are two numbers below for each name. The first number is the number of times I found that name italicized. The second number is the total number I found that name. I think the three non-italicized names on this list were publisher inconsistencies and not intentional.

1/1<i>Averil Lester</i>

11/13<i>Averil</i>

1/1<i>Lesters</i>

5/6 <i>Perceval</i>

1/1<i>Perceval Dalrymple</i>

1/1<i>Dalrymple</i>

1/1 <i>Raymond Fitzosborne</i>

3/3 <i>Robert Ray</i>

2/2 <i>Bobby</i>

3/3<i>Maurice Lennox</i>

1/1 <i>Maurice</i>

In addition to character’s from “Averil’s Atonement”, there are three quotes from outside works where the outside character’s name is italicized. I have the same question as before, should I keep these names italicized? I could mark them with semantic inflection as epub:type="z3998:persona" and epub:type="z3998:personal-name". Two of these works are books, but the third is a play so “persona” actually fits really well there. Is there a better semantic inflection than "z3998:persona" for fictional characters in either books or short stories?

Mark Tapley

Mark Tapley, who is always cheerful, is a fictional character in Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

“A pouring rainy night like this, coming after a hard day’s grind, would squelch any one but a <i>Mark Tapley</i>.”

Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep is a fictional character created by Charles Dickens in his 1850 novel David Copperfield.

“You’ll always keep a corner for me, won’t you, Di darling? Not the spare room, of course⁠—old maids can’t aspire to spare rooms, and I shall be as ’umble as <i>Uriah Heep</i>, and quite content with a little over-the-porch or off-the-parlor cubby hole.”

Josiah Allen

This appears to be from from “Josiah’s Secret; A Play” by Josiah Allen’s Wife, a pseudonym for Marietta Holley. The quote “to charm and allure” is misattributed to Josiah Allen, but was actually said by Samantha Allen, the only other character in the play.

Thanks, Gwen

Alex Cabal

Feb 25, 2024, 3:29:12 PMFeb 25
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No, cut the italics.
> [...]
> >>>> >

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E8CB2F89-684B-4732-B06E-1430CA2C582D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aba542ff-c04c-4c26-8e18-7af7725759a2n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aba542ff-c04c-4c26-8e18-7af7725759a2n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aba542ff-c04c-4c26-8e18-7af7725759a2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/aba542ff-c04c-4c26-8e18-7af7725759a2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

> email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a0a02fc-88ed-4151-a7f8-fb774c80c53b%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a0a02fc-88ed-4151-a7f8-fb774c80c53b%40standardebooks.org>.
> >
> > --
> to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/21d28ee1-cb56-45b1-b109-24ad47a04045%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/21d28ee1-cb56-45b1-b109-24ad47a04045%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/792270a6-b320-4265-8e73-9b66e7c736f0n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/792270a6-b320-4265-8e73-9b66e7c736f0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

gwen...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2024, 1:19:01 AMMar 13
to Standard Ebooks
In Anne of the Island, there are two chapters which are entirely letters "Chapter 24: Enter Jonas" and "Chapter 31: Anne to Philippa."
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont/page/207/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont/page/250/mode/1up

In section 4.2.4 of the manual, it shows an example as <section epub:type="chapter z3998:letter">.

In section 7.7.1 of the manual, it says that letters are wrapped in a <blockquote> element with the appropriate semantic inflection.

I was confused whether or not I still needed to wrap the entire chapter in a blockquote if I already designated it as a letter in the <section> element.  I then searched through the Standard Ebooks github repositories and found several examples without blockquotes. I will follow this pattern (no blockquote when the entire chapter is a letter, place semantic inflection in section element) unless directed otherwise.

Thanks,
Gwen

Weijia Cheng

Mar 13, 2024, 9:09:01 AMMar 13
to Standard Ebooks
Yep, you can just mark the entire section as a letter and avoid using blockquotes entirely.

gwen...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2024, 7:17:43 PMApr 15
to Standard Ebooks
The previously planned cover art doesn't look as good as I had imagined after croping it down and adding the title.  I found an alternate painting that I would like to use instead: My Daughter Elisabeth, circa 1914, Frank Weston Benson.

Image source: https://dia.org/collection/my-daughter-elisabeth-34600
This site offers two versions of the image, the larger is a 3742x4268 pixels(47MB tif) the the smaller is 1795x2048 pixel(2 MB jpg).  I used the larger file. Is there a maximum size for the cover.source.jpg?  The larger file is 7.5MB when converted to jpg.

Public domain proof copyright: https://books.google.com/books?id=uoEGAQAAIAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=frank%20weston%20benson&pg=PP10#v=onepage&q&f=false

Public domain proof page scan: https://books.google.com/books?id=uoEGAQAAIAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=frank%20weston%20benson&pg=PA149#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is a mockup of what the new cover would look like:daughterWithTitle.jpeg

Thanks,
Gwen

Weijia Cheng

Apr 15, 2024, 7:59:37 PMApr 15
to Standard Ebooks
The new painting looks good. I will add it to the art database.

Weijia Cheng

Apr 15, 2024, 8:01:47 PMApr 15
to Standard Ebooks
I don't know of a maximum image size for cover.source.jpg. In general you want it to be the highest resolution file you have available. I believe there might be some automation to shrink the file if it is too big so you don't need to worry about that.

Vince

Apr 15, 2024, 9:18:24 PMApr 15
to Standard Ebooks
There’s an upper limit for GitHub that someone recently hit, but it was really big (100MB, maybe?).

Also, the source file should not be converted, the original .tif file should be used.

gwen...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2024, 5:06:15 PMApr 16
to Standard Ebooks
Thank you for your feedback on the cover image.

Two semantics questions:

1. Do I need to do any italics or language attributes for "anathema maranatha"?

“You surely don’t care for what they said,” protested Gilbert. “You know exactly how narrow their outlook on life is, excellent creatures though they are. To do anything <em>they</em> have never done is anathema maranatha. You are the first Avonlea girl who has ever gone to college; and you know that all pioneers are considered to be afflicted with moonstruck madness.”
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont/page/16/mode/1up?q=maranatha

Gilbert appears to be quoting the King James Version of the bible, 1 Corinthians 16:22  This verse is written with a Greek and Aramaic phrase left untranslated: “If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.”

"Anathema" was originally Greek, but has entered into English and can be found in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, so rule 8.2.9.4 says leave it not italicized.

"Maranatha" is an Aramaic word and is not found in the english Merriam-Webster dictionary. After some digging, I found a language tag that seems apropriate. xml:lang="arc" Official Aramaic (700-300 BCE), Imperial Aramaic (700-300 BCE).  According to rule 8.2.9.1 I should italicize any non-english words.

However, section 5.3.1.1 of the manual talks about language tags in terms of screen-readers and pronunciation.  Surely, Gilbert wasn't using an Aramaic pronunciation.  He was probably pronouncing the word as he heard it in church with a Canadian accent.

Given that background, I would like to confirm what I should be doing here.  I think that I need to italicize and apply a language tag to just "maranatha" but not "anathema". Right?

2. When finishing his letter, Davy indicates a "kiss" with the letter "x".

“I havent any more news. Here are six kisses. xxxxxx. Dora sends one. Heres hers. x."
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont/page/171/mode/1up?q=xxxxxx

I think this usage is neither a grapheme nor phoneme, so it would fall under rule 8.2.8.3 and be left alone.  Can someone confirm?

Thank you,
Gwen

Weijia Cheng

Apr 16, 2024, 10:14:37 PMApr 16
to Standard Ebooks
1. You can italicize "maranatha" and use "jpa-Latn" for the language tag (Jewish Palestinian Aramaic in Latin script)

2. That's correct.

gwen...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2024, 2:45:59 PMApr 20
to Standard Ebooks

I've pushed all my changes to the master branch, this is ready for review.
https://github.com/gwenMB/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-the-island.git

A couple of notes:

1.  I changed the transcription significantly to match the page scans.  I wanted the spelling to be British (like the page scans) instead of American (like the transcription).  This also keeps the spelling consistent with the other Anne of Green Gables books that Standard Ebooks hosts.

Internet Archive page scans, public domain, Page Company, 1920:
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland1920mont

The transcription came from Faded Page.  It claims to be a Bantam edition printed in the United States of America.  It looks like it might be ISBN 0-553-21317-2 (2nd Bantam reissue / 1998) because the front-matter and page numbers seem to match up on my spot checks, but that is just a guess.
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland0000mont_b0o4
https://archive.org/details/anneofisland0000mont_t6e0

2.  Italics were removed from names of characters in fictional works, as discussed previously in this thread.

3.  I changed the cover art, but did not do anything in my git history to remove/hide the older artwork.  I believe this is okay since both paintings were pre-approved by Standard Ebooks.

Gwen

Alex Cabal

Apr 21, 2024, 2:28:25 PMApr 21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Lukas I think you're up for this one
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/37ea149a-c568-40c0-94e7-9319ad971ca4n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/37ea149a-c568-40c0-94e7-9319ad971ca4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

Apr 21, 2024, 2:39:54 PMApr 21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Indeed I am. Sorry, I'll get to this in the next couple days.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0987cbf1-73be-43b4-a79a-95b0047825af%40standardebooks.org.

Lukas Bystricky

Apr 23, 2024, 4:34:43 PMApr 23
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Gwen. It looks good overall, but unfortunately there's a few issues with modernizations and transcriptions that you should look at. How comfortable are you with Git? I think some of the changes would be better off being dropped; it would definitely make the commit history easier to follow. If you end up keeping a lot of the transcription changes you made it would really help to squash them into a single commit.

gwen...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2024, 7:23:34 PMApr 23
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Lukas,

Thank you for the review, I will take a look and start making changes.

I'm comfortable with Git.  I've already rebased and squashed a bunch of commits in other branches before merging to master.  In programming, with multiple people working on a repository, it is generally not acceptable to change history on a branch that other people may have checked out.  Is that the case here?  Should I make my changes on a new branch or clobber history?  Does Standard Ebooks have any expectations that the final work is on the "master" branch?

Thanks,
Gwen

Alex Cabal

Apr 23, 2024, 9:09:55 PMApr 23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Until your book is released, you're effectively the only one working on
it, so rebasing and force pushing doesn't matter. The important thing is
maintaining a tidy commit history, without merge commits which clutter
everything up. Commits are free and many small commits with distinct
units of work are preferable to one very large commit that is hard to
untangle.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ada2c5ab-8f3e-46c2-ac97-516aae2dadf0n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ada2c5ab-8f3e-46c2-ac97-516aae2dadf0n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

Apr 27, 2024, 2:54:23 AMApr 27
to Standard Ebooks
This looks a lot better Gwen, very nice work rebasing. I've filed a couple more small issues and then it should be ready to go.

Lukas Bystricky

May 1, 2024, 1:39:13 PM (11 days ago) May 1
to Standard Ebooks
Alright Alex, this is ready for you.

Alex Cabal

May 2, 2024, 2:58:56 PM (10 days ago) May 2
to standar...@googlegroups.com