[First Project] Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery

Brian Arthmire

Sep 8, 2022, 12:40:31 PM9/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
I see that Anne of Green Gables (book #1) is already a part of the SE collection, and Anne of the Island (book #3) is on the Wanted Ebooks list, but two other persons have already claimed that book as their first project both here and here.

I would like to propose as my first project book #2 in the series, Anne of Avonlea. I found a collection of page scans from the Library of Congress on the Internet Archive at https://archive.org/details/anneofavonlea00mont_6/. This is from the 31st edition, printed 1920. The text from this version is pretty usable.

There is an older and possibly original version on the Internet Archive at https://archive.org/details/anneavonlea00montgoog/. This is a 1909 version from the Harvard College Library. The issue with this version is that the text did not OCR well and needs major cleanup, which would take longer. If this version is preferred, I would probably go back to the original page scans and try to OCR them myself since text recognition today is most certainly better than when they last scraped the text.

Let me know your thoughts before I pursue. Thanks.

Alex Cabal

Sep 8, 2022, 12:46:26 PM9/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian, Anne of Avonlea was just completed and is about to be released.

Anne of the Island is still available, the previous producers failed to
complete it. If you'd like to work on it, let me know.

On 9/8/22 11:40 AM, Brian Arthmire wrote:
> I see that Anne of Green Gables
> <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/l-m-montgomery/anne-of-green-gables>
> (book #1) is already a part of the SE collection, and Anne of the Island
> (book #3) is on the Wanted Ebooks list
> <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/wanted-ebooks>, but two other
> persons have already claimed that book as their first project both here
> <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/fJADJYf7IUs/m/-cbJpQnuAgAJ>and
> here
> <https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/m1QXKVtZhtY/m/pAbyxZ_-AgAJ>.
>
> I would like to propose as my first project book #2 in the series, Anne
> of Avonlea. I found a collection of page scans from the Library of
> Congress on the Internet Archive at
> https://archive.org/details/anneofavonlea00mont_6/
> <https://archive.org/details/anneofavonlea00mont_6/>. This is from the
> 31st edition, printed 1920. The text from this version is pretty usable.
>
> There is an older and possibly original version on the Internet Archive
> at https://archive.org/details/anneavonlea00montgoog/
> <https://archive.org/details/anneavonlea00montgoog/>. This is a 1909
> version from the Harvard College Library. The issue with this version is
> that the text did not OCR well and needs major cleanup, which would take
> longer. If this version is preferred, I would probably go back to the
> original page scans and try to OCR them myself since text recognition
> today is most certainly better than when they last scraped the text.
>
> Let me know your thoughts before I pursue. Thanks.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/610401c3-b307-45a6-b8dd-f36d838417b9n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/610401c3-b307-45a6-b8dd-f36d838417b9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Brian Arthmire

Sep 8, 2022, 1:03:30 PM9/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ah, I searched the SE website for Anne of Avonlea and did not see it, but it would help if I had searched the groups here before submitting. I see the history now. Since the other attempts at Anne of the Island did not finish, yes, I would like to take on this book and will use the PG version that is already linked from the Wanted Ebooks list at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51. Let me know if that is acceptable; thanks.

Alex Cabal

Sep 8, 2022, 1:07:41 PM9/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, sure.

There's an epigraph and a dedication so you'll have to add a half title
page. Everything else seems pretty straightforward.

Please read the other threads you found for any discussion that may have
already occurred. A previous producer already selected cover art, which
you can use if you like, or you can find something else:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Camille_Corot,_Lesendes_M%C3%A4dchen,_um_1850.jpg

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)