The 5 grams lost when a person dies: Solved.

plen...@yahoo.com

Mar 25, 2008, 8:10:29 PM3/25/08
I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
religious people.
You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
lost.
Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
horsepucky.

It's your last fart. Ever.

Now, as an exercise:
1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?

Androcles

Mar 25, 2008, 8:58:51 PM3/25/08

<plen...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Fart in a balloon and measure it. Then light it.

IlBe...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 9:02:39 PM3/25/08

REPLY: Atheists are highly religious people too , you know ; in
fact, they have an enormous amount of Faith and far far greater than
what a Christian requires. The type of Faith an atheist has is akin
to a house not needing a Designer/Engineer/Builder --- just all the
raw materials in roughly the same area combined with a whole bunch of
time , strong winds and other natural phenomina which came about for
no good reason, and an exceeding dose of continual luck , ad
infinitum. Its a Faith which i sure lack im afraid which is why i
find atheists so admirable and optimisitic (despite taking virtually
everything for granted and living a defeatist life).

xxein

Mar 25, 2008, 9:06:51 PM3/25/08

xxein: I don't have that answer, but I can provide you with the
extent of fart propagation.

I was in a single-story building under construction that was roughly
200x40 ft. It had openings for doors and windows not yet installed.
The typical spacing of the windows was about 25 ft.

Three of us were the only ones there at the time. I was roughly 100
ft. away from the others. I can't give you what ethnic food might
have been eaten, but one (I know who) farted.

It was get out or puke.

To this day (some 30 yrs. later) it remains vivid in my memory.

5 grams is nothing compared to that. It must have been a kg.

Free Lunch

Mar 25, 2008, 9:14:05 PM3/25/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:02:39 -0700 (PDT), in alt.atheism
"IlBe...@gmail.com" <IlBe...@gmail.com> wrote in
<b6460d5d-4f95-47a2...@b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>:

>On Mar 25, 7:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
>> religious people.
>> You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
>> built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
>> kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
>> lost.
>> Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
>> horsepucky.
>>
>> It's your last fart. Ever.
>>
>> Now, as an exercise:
>> 1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
>> 2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
>> sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?
>
>REPLY: Atheists are highly religious people too , you know ; in
>fact, they have an enormous amount of Faith and far far greater than
>what a Christian requires.

Your silly claim is untrue, but you knew that, since you have been
corrected on it in the past.

>The type of Faith an atheist has is akin
>to a house not needing a Designer/Engineer/Builder --- just all the
>raw materials in roughly the same area combined with a whole bunch of
>time , strong winds and other natural phenomina which came about for
>no good reason, and an exceeding dose of continual luck , ad
>infinitum. Its a Faith which i sure lack im afraid which is why i
>find atheists so admirable and optimisitic (despite taking virtually
>everything for granted and living a defeatist life).

Keep mocking your God. I could not possibly be as offensive to Him as
you are.

Yua...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 9:26:24 PM3/25/08
On Mar 25, 7:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> religious people.
>

> It's your last fart. Ever.

Farts are lighter than air.

So, when you fart, your weight goes up.

Love.
Jenny

Michael Gray

Mar 25, 2008, 9:34:42 PM3/25/08

Which would all fine-and-dandy if the 5 grams stuff were not a
complete myth.

Ken

Mar 25, 2008, 10:25:49 PM3/25/08
On Mar 25, 6:02 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <IlBeBa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> REPLY:  Atheists are highly religious people too , you know ;

Here's one thing we DO know
You're an overweight dumb lying assed mother fucker,
EVERYONE ALIVE is born an atheist!
It's only when they start growing up that their minds are polluted by
assholes like you with bogus religious fairy tales

So, no matter how many fucking times you repeat your same "atheist
faith" crock of shit, it still will NEVER make it true, ya fuckwit

janp...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2008, 10:32:16 PM3/25/08
On Mar 26, 2:26 pm, Yuan...@gmail.com wrote:

> > I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> > religious people.

> Farts are lighter than air.
> So,  when you fart, your weight goes up.

The weight loss at the moment of death is additionally supported with
the so called "death flash", namely with a powerful beam of
electromagnetic radiation that is emited from the dying body. (This
beam is also interpreted as the electromagnetic image of the soul
leaving a given body.) More information about the "death flash" is
provided in volume 5 of monograph [1/5], which can be downloaded free
of charge from following web pages:

http://evil.thefreehost.biz/text_1_5.htm
http://fruit.sitesled.com/text_1_5.htm
http://fruit.xphost.org/text_1_5.htm
http://memorial.awardspace.info/text_1_5.htm
http://newzealand.myfreewebs.net/text_1_5.htm
http://pigs.freehyperspace.com/text_1_5.htm

With the totaliztic salute,
Jan Pajak

P.S. Other threads on a similar subject include:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/0b85905d2dc9f083#c374dc041f3c5fdf
http://groups.google.com/group/talk.origins/browse_thread/thread/8040cef26d37261f#de22942cb8fe3aee

george

Mar 25, 2008, 11:38:32 PM3/25/08
On Mar 26, 2:32 pm, janpa...@gmail.com wrote:
.

> The weight loss at the moment of death is additionally supported with
> the so called "death flash", namely with a powerful beam of
> electromagnetic radiation that is emited from the dying body. (This
> beam is also interpreted as the electromagnetic image of the soul
> leaving a given body.) More information about the "death flash" is
> provided in volume 5 of monograph [1/5], which can be downloaded free
> of charge from following web pages:

Riiiight.
I have this bridge for sale .................

Michael Gray

Mar 25, 2008, 11:40:54 PM3/25/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:32:16 -0700 (PDT), janp...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Mar 26, 2:26 pm, Yuan...@gmail.com wrote:
>> > I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
>> > religious people.
>> Farts are lighter than air.
>> So,  when you fart, your weight goes up.
>
>The weight loss at the moment of death is additionally supported with
>the so called "death flash", namely with a powerful beam of
>electromagnetic radiation that is emited from the dying body.

You are quite insane, aren't you?

Olrik

Mar 26, 2008, 12:39:49 AM3/26/08

Now that's what I call a brain fart!

O.

Syd M.

Mar 26, 2008, 4:14:15 AM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 9:02 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <IlBeBa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 7:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> > religious people.
> > You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
> > built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
> > kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
> > lost.
> > Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
> > horsepucky.
>
> > It's your last fart. Ever.
>
> > Now, as an exercise:
> > 1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
> > 2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
> > sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?
>
> REPLY: Atheists are highly religious people too , you know ; in
> fact, they have an enormous amount of Faith and far far greater than
> what a Christian requires.

Nope. No matter how many times you repeat this, it's still a lie.

PDW

Androcles

Mar 26, 2008, 4:27:18 AM3/26/08

<IlBe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

=========================
Its (It is)
a Faith (Capital F)
which i (I)
sure lack im (I'm)
afraid which is why i (I)

find atheists so admirable and optimisitic (despite taking virtually
everything for granted and living a defeatist life).

=========================

Whatever god made you, it didn't design you a fully functioning brain.
Get the fuck out of sci.physics.
*plonk*

Hal

Mar 26, 2008, 11:19:08 AM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 8:38 pm, george <gbl...@hnpl.net> wrote:

> Riiiight.
> I have this bridge for sale .................

Will you take my shares in WorldCom and Enron as down payment?
Hal

Hal

Mar 26, 2008, 11:29:11 AM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 7:32 pm, janpa...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:26 pm, Yuan...@gmail.com wrote:
> ...> > I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> > > religious people.
> > Farts are lighter than air.
> > So,  when you fart, your weight goes up.

> The weight loss at the moment of death is additionally supported with
> the so called "death flash", namely with a powerful beam of
> electromagnetic radiation that is emited from the dying body. (This
> beam is also interpreted as the electromagnetic image of the soul
> leaving a given body

Ummmm
Interesting.
5 grams of matter being conveted instantaneously into energy.
Using the standard method that figures out to be what...maybe a yield
of a kiloton or so?
Hal

Martin

Mar 26, 2008, 1:29:25 PM3/26/08

A couple of hundred kT if my maths is right

> Hal

Igor

Mar 26, 2008, 1:48:03 PM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 10:32 pm, janpa...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2:26 pm, Yuan...@gmail.com wrote:
> ...> > I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> > > religious people.
> > Farts are lighter than air.
> > So,  when you fart, your weight goes up.

> The weight loss at the moment of death is additionally supported with
> the so called "death flash", namely with a powerful beam of
> electromagnetic radiation that is emited from the dying body. (This
> beam is also interpreted as the electromagnetic image of the soul
> leaving a given body.) More information about the "death flash" is
> provided in volume 5 of monograph [1/5], which can be downloaded free
> of charge from following web pages:
>
> http://evil.thefreehost.biz/text_1_5.htmhttp://fruit.sitesled.com/text_1_5.htmhttp://fruit.xphost.org/text_1_5.htmhttp://memorial.awardspace.info/text_1_5.htmhttp://newzealand.myfreewebs.net/text_1_5.htmhttp://pigs.freehyperspace.com/text_1_5.htm

> With the totaliztic salute,
> Jan Pajak
>
> P.S. Other threads on a similar subject include:http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/0b859...http://groups.google.com/group/talk.origins/browse_thread/thread/8040...

Maybe the police can find this death flasher and arrest him.

Ben Goren

Mar 26, 2008, 2:14:47 PM3/26/08
Martin wrote:

> Hal wrote:
>
>> Ummmm Interesting. 5 grams of matter being conveted
>> instantaneously into energy. Using the standard method that
>> figures out to be what...maybe a yield of a kiloton or so?
>
> A couple of hundred kT if my maths is right

It's 449,377,589 megajoules, according to Google Calculator. And
that's a smidgen over 100 kilotons according to:

http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/megajoules-to-megatons-conversion.html

Palo Verde, the United States's largest nuclear facility, has a
maximum capacity of not quite 4 gigawatts. That's a day and a half
of total power output.

Cheers,

b&

--
EAC Memographer
BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy

Puppet_Sock

Mar 26, 2008, 2:18:29 PM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 9:34 pm, Michael Gray <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote:
[snips]

> Which would all fine-and-dandy if the 5 grams stuff were not a
> complete myth.

Sir! You do terrible inustice to myth. At least myths are fun.

This "5 grams" stuff is just a straightforward lie.
Socks

Ken S. Tucker

Mar 26, 2008, 2:26:12 PM3/26/08
LOL
Is that classical theory of fartitivity or
the quantized version?
Ken

Mar 26, 2008, 2:42:15 PM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 8:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:

hmm.... after all, you do lose control of your sphincter and bladder
(obviously).... maybe....

Mar 26, 2008, 2:44:25 PM3/26/08
On Mar 26, 2:14 pm, Ben Goren <b...@trumpetpower.com> wrote:

> Palo Verde,  the United States's  largest nuclear facility,  has a
> maximum capacity of not quite 4 gigawatts. That's a day and a half
> of total power output.

Geez, the texas death row alone could power America for the forseeable
future! my god, we've solved it!

Martin

Mar 26, 2008, 3:12:30 PM3/26/08
Ben Goren wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>
> > Hal wrote:
> >
> >> Ummmm Interesting. 5 grams of matter being conveted
> >> instantaneously into energy. Using the standard method that
> >> figures out to be what...maybe a yield of a kiloton or so?
> >
> > A couple of hundred kT if my maths is right
>
> It's 449,377,589 megajoules, according to Google Calculator. And
> that's a smidgen over 100 kilotons according to:
>
> http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/megajoules-to-megatons-conversion.html

On pulling out my calculator ...

You're spot on.

Hal

Mar 26, 2008, 3:17:25 PM3/26/08

Well......I waz just guessin'.
With so much energy released by this magical "death flash" or "mass to
energy transformation", it's sure to make headlines as close to 10,000
such blasts should be reported everyday in the US.
Ummmm
CNN hasn't reported even one such "event" today, which would tend to
indicate that janpajak is full of a mixture of hot air and methane
Hal

canard

Mar 26, 2008, 4:23:39 PM3/26/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:10:29 -0700 (PDT),
plen...@yahoo.com wrote:

>I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
>religious people.
>You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
>built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
>kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
>lost.
>Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
>horsepucky.
>
>It's your last fart. Ever.

Air weighs 4.9 grams/gallon. Na... impossible....

Mike Painter

Mar 26, 2008, 5:35:11 PM3/26/08

All the muscles relax but farts seem rare and other releases of metabolic
residue are also fairly rare. I've picked up quite a few dead bodies and
worked with a couple hundred while in collage and working for a FBS
(Mortician to you and literally, Fucking Body Snatcher , to me.)

Michael Gray

Mar 26, 2008, 6:18:29 PM3/26/08

Quite.
I sit corrected!

Darwin123

Mar 26, 2008, 8:36:04 PM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 9:02 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <IlBeBa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 7:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > Now, as an exercise:
> > 1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
> > 2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
> > sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?

Doesn't look good for your theory. The answer is 7 Liters. Our lungs
have roughly a 1 L volume, our digestive systems have considerably
less.

How this was done?
Methane GMW=16 g/mole
Standard volume: 22.4 Liters/mole
The lost in mass: 5 g.

I have suspicions about the way the measurment was made.
1) Was the body hooked to an IV when the person died?
Contractions could have forces a small quantity of liquid down
the tubes.
2) Was the change of mass measured immediately at the time of death?
Maybe it was measured a few hours later, allowing dehydration to
occur.
3) Bloating with hydrogen gas or methane gas caused by putrefying.
Buoyancy causes a force that lifts the body up. Again, this would
take a few hours.
4) Gross error.
I don't think the balance was zeroed correctly.

Darwin123

Mar 26, 2008, 8:37:23 PM3/26/08

I am so ashamed. I missed that.

Mike Painter

Mar 26, 2008, 8:49:57 PM3/26/08

Does not matter as the gas would have been compressed before release and may
well have been more dense than air.

Darwin123

Mar 26, 2008, 9:33:34 PM3/26/08

I doubt it. To be denser than air, a gauge pressure of at least 13
pounds per square inch would have been neceesary. That's 13 pounds per
square inch more than the surrounding pressure. That would ruptured
the person's organs before he died. And set off a sound everyone in
the hospital would hear.
On the other hand, there is that legend of the banshee's wail. I
wonder....

Darwin123

Mar 26, 2008, 9:35:13 PM3/26/08
On Mar 25, 9:06 pm, xxein <xx...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 8:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> To this day (some 30 yrs. later) it remains vivid in my memory.
>
> 5 grams is nothing compared to that. It must have been a kg.

Ahaa, Clark Kent! I know your secret identity!

Mike Painter

Mar 27, 2008, 12:43:27 AM3/27/08
From the definition of density and Boyles law it stands that the density of
the gas at any higher pressure makes it more dense.
If air and "farts" are close at at 1 bar than a slight increase would add
to the total weight.

MarkA

Mar 27, 2008, 10:52:36 AM3/27/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:10:29 -0700, plenty900 wrote:

> I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> religious people.

> You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
> built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
> kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
> lost.
> Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
> horsepucky.
>

> It's your last fart. Ever.
>

> Now, as an exercise:
> 1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
> 2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
> sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?

It is the biological equivalent of the "magic smoke" that makes integrated
circuits work.

--
MarkA
Keeper of Things Put There Only Just The Night Before

janp...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2008, 9:00:38 PM3/27/08
On Mar 26, 1:10 pm, plenty...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
Actual research dated in 1906 states that the weight loss at the
moment of death amounter to 7 to 28 grams (not just 5 grams) - for
details see item #F2 in the 27 March 2008 (or later) update of the web
page "bible.htm"
http://evil.thefreehost.biz/bible.htm
http://fruit.sitesled.com/bible.htm
http://fruit.xphost.org/bible.htm
http://memorial.awardspace.info/bible.htm
http://newzealand.myfreewebs.net/bible.htm
http://pigs.freehyperspace.com/bible.htm

Mike

Mar 28, 2008, 12:56:22 PM3/28/08
plen...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
> religious people.
> You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
> built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
> kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
> lost.
> Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
> horsepucky.
>
> It's your last fart. Ever.
>
> Now, as an exercise:
> 1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
> 2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
> sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?

If there WAS a last fart, it wouldn't change the weight. A balloon
that's filled with air and placed on a scale would weight the same as an
empty one (well, ALMOST exactly. It'd be on the order of micrograms
difference due to the air in the balloon being pressurized slightly and
thus being ever so slightly denser.)

Androcles

Mar 28, 2008, 1:26:26 PM3/28/08

"Mike" <prab...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote in message

Farts are mostly methane (CH4) which has a different density to a 4:1
nitrogen-oxygen mixture (air), you are comparing apples with glass marbles
mixed with oranges. It will change the weight, although 5 grams sounds
suspicious. I leave it to the chemists to give you a better estimate.

Yua...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2008, 2:02:42 PM3/28/08

Farts are quantized. They come in discrete (sometimes indiscreet) fart
packets.

Love,
Jenny

Ken S. Tucker

Mar 28, 2008, 2:43:47 PM3/28/08

Hmmm....
1) is the silent whoosh.
2) blub, blub, blub is a wave function.
3) ppppppp, is a quantized emission.
We need a general theory of fartitivity, possibly a
unified theory of fartitivity that includes the mass
and stress of the ass.
Ken

Bob Casanova

Mar 28, 2008, 2:46:07 PM3/28/08
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:26:26 GMT, the following appeared in
sci.skeptic, posted by "Androcles"
<Headm...@Hogwarts.physics>:

I'm no chemist, but the values at STP are:

Air - molecular weight = 29; density = 1293g/m^3
Methane - molecular weight = 16.043; density = 717g/m^3

What you make of them is up to you.
--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

Ken

Mar 28, 2008, 2:58:18 PM3/28/08
On Mar 28, 10:26 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...@Hogwarts.physics> wrote:
> "Mike" <prabb...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote in message

As a chemist. I don't currently have any plans on measuring the
average volume of a large sample of farts in order to answer your
question, but feel free to calculate the results based on a density of
air at STP of 1.29 kg/m3 and methane of 0.717 kg/m3
Ken

Ken S. Tucker

Mar 28, 2008, 3:04:32 PM3/28/08
On Mar 28, 10:46 am, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:26:26 GMT, the following appeared in
> sci.skeptic, posted by "Androcles"
> <Headmas...@Hogwarts.physics>:

> >"Mike" <prabb...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote in message

Say Bob, <Bob>,

Ever heard of spontaneous combustion of
a human body?

Suppose you're in a formal occasion like a
best man at a wedding and you feel a fart
coming, well you snug the cheeks so it
doesn't happen. Now I ask, where did the
fart go?

Well I figure there's got to be a theory of
the conservation of farts, i.e. it wasn't
destroyed but it was absorbed, likely into
the body.

So a seriously anal retentive person would
have a large amount of stored farts.
(I think that's why non-smokers fear smokers,
poof, and they might get lit up).
Ken
PS: I understand you cannot smoke within 10'
of govmonk workers, for that reason.

george

Mar 28, 2008, 3:41:33 PM3/28/08
On Mar 29, 7:04 am, "Ken S. Tucker" <dynam...@vianet.on.ca> wrote:

> Suppose you're in a formal occasion like a
> best man at a wedding and you feel a fart
> coming, well you snug the cheeks so it
> doesn't happen. Now I ask, where did the
> fart go?

You've never met Absorba the Farta ?

Androcles

Mar 28, 2008, 4:41:39 PM3/28/08

"Bob Casanova" <nos...@buzz.off> wrote in message

Thank you.

Androcles

Mar 28, 2008, 5:01:39 PM3/28/08

"Ken" <flak...@aol.com> wrote in message

As an analyst. I don't currently have any plans on discovering why you
are responding to me or why you hallucinate I have a question.

Kuku

Mar 28, 2008, 6:27:32 PM3/28/08

You mean a 20' fart philled baloon would lift me off the
ground?

Mike Duffy

Mar 29, 2008, 8:35:29 AM3/29/08
Kuku <Ku...@kuku.org> wrote in

Don't you remember the prison escape movie where they did that? (Dry
cleaning bags & kitchen stove gas.)

In any case, the 5 grams is probably just urine that dried before they did
the second weighing. It comes out quite warm. Almost all of it. And the
other stuff too.

Mike

Mar 29, 2008, 2:29:25 PM3/29/08

Yes, you're right in that I wasn't allowing for the difference in
density. Methane is around 700g/m^3 or about .7g/liter. Air is about
1.2g/liter. An average fart is probably around the 1-2 liter range. So
the difference would be in the area of around .5-1g difference in
weight. You'd need about 14 liters (or around 3.75 gallons) of farting
to be in the area of 5g difference in weight.

Ken

Mar 29, 2008, 2:51:34 PM3/29/08
On Mar 29, 11:29 am, Mike <prabb...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote:
> Androcles wrote:
> > "Mike" <prabb...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote in message
> to be in the area of 5g difference in weight.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt if much peer research has been done in the area of average
"fart volumes", although I do remember as a kid passing gas underwater
and watching the bubbles.

"Professor, what was the subject of your PhD thesis?"
"Ahhhh....I'd rather not discuss that in front of the class"

george

Mar 29, 2008, 3:49:07 PM3/29/08
On Mar 30, 6:29 am, Mike <prabb...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote:

> Yes, you're right in that I wasn't allowing for the difference in
> density. Methane is around 700g/m^3 or about .7g/liter. Air is about
> 1.2g/liter. An average fart is probably around the 1-2 liter range. So
> the difference would be in the area of around .5-1g difference in
> weight. You'd need about 14 liters (or around 3.75 gallons) of farting
> to be in the area of 5g difference in weight.

The term 'human bean' comes to mind :-)

Androcles

Mar 29, 2008, 3:55:44 PM3/29/08

"Mike" <prab...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote in message

Anaerobic bacteria do not die when the symbiotic host animal does, they go
on digesting the eaten food in the gut and then the meat that is the gut,
producing the phenomenon we refer to as "rotting". Corpses become bloated
with gas and stink. Bacteria that are challenged by antibiotics such as
penicillin
and antibodies in the bloodstream are free to reproduce when the heart stops
and proceed to eat the deceased animal.When that happens in the living
animal
we call it "ill". Even now you are being eaten alive on the inside as
biochemical
war is waged between the invaders and defenders.
MRSA, the so-called "superbug", is methicillin resistant staphylococcus
aureus,
and that is regular staphylococcus aureus which has evolved a resistance to
methicillin used to treat it.

"Staphylococcus aureus is a species of bacterium commonly found on the skin
and/or in the noses of healthy people. Although it is usually harmless at
these sites, it may occasionally get into the body (eg through breaks in the
skin such as abrasions, cuts, wounds, surgical incisions or indwelling
catheters) and cause infections. These infections may be mild (eg pimples or
boils) or serious (eg infection of the bloodstream, bones or joints)."
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/mrsa.htm

Bob Casanova

Mar 29, 2008, 6:05:57 PM3/29/08
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:41:39 GMT, the following appeared in

>Thank you.

You're welcome.
--

Bob C.

Mike

Mar 30, 2008, 10:00:46 AM3/30/08

The vital lung capacity (the difference between breathing fully in and
fully out) of the average male is around 4.7 liters. Taking a deep
breath causes a very noticeable change in the shape of the chest and
abdomen. I don't think anyone's farts are of such a volume as to make
that huge of a difference (otherwise people's pants would be falling
down left and right...er, wait a sec...*looking at the typical teen
male*...scratch that hypothesis<g>)

duke

Mar 30, 2008, 12:12:51 PM3/30/08
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:10:29 -0700 (PDT), plen...@yahoo.com wrote:

Ask that question to mikey painter. He's an expert on the partial pressure of
air, or farts for that matter.

>I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
>religious people.
>You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
>built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
>kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
>lost.
>Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
>horsepucky.
>
>It's your last fart. Ever.
>
>Now, as an exercise:
>1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
>2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
>sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?

duke, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI
*****

Cj

Mar 30, 2008, 11:49:07 PM3/30/08
"duke" <duckg...@cox.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:10:29 -0700 (PDT), plen...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> Ask that question to mikey painter. He's an expert on the partial
> pressure of
> air, or farts for that matter.
>
>>I finally figured out what that 5 grams is, that so befuddles
>>religious people.
>>You know, a person is supposedly placed on a table that has a
>>built-in gram meter some time before they are about to die. Then they
>>kick the bucket, and the before & after weights are compared. 5 grams
>>lost.
>>Some claim it is the soul departing the body. I say that idea's
>>horsepucky.
>>
>>It's your last fart. Ever.
>>
>>Now, as an exercise:
>>1. What is the gaseous composition of the typical fart?
>>2. What would the volume be of a 5 gram fart, assuming a person is at
>>sea-level (noting that PV=nRT)?

A quick calculation suggests that a 5 gram fart would definitely be lethal.
Cj

Mike Painter

Mar 31, 2008, 2:01:19 AM3/31/08
Cj wrote:
> "duke" <duckg...@cox.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:10:29 -0700 (PDT), plen...@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>> Ask that question to mikey painter. He's an expert on the partial
>> pressure of
>> air, or farts for that matter.

To explain.
Earl has said that,
1. He does not believe in a real flood,
2. That a real flood has happened sometime in the last 4 billion years or
so,
3. and that a flood as described in the bible actually happened.
(Anything for attention.)

Quite some time ago I pointed out that almost any high school physics
student or any (in the old days) Scuba diver would know one of the myriad
reasons a flood did not happen.
If the flood covered the tallest mountain of 15 cubits or even only covered
hill about 300 feet tall, the partial pressure of O2 would have killed all
humans and most other animals, even if they didn't start a little fire.
Apparently Earl the engineer had never heard of Dalton's law of partial
pressures and/or could not do the simple calculations required.

He trots it out now and again much more often then he brings out his
"scientific "reason why the human body is proof of design (that one was a
lie of commission, while his other was a lie of omission.)

duke

Mar 31, 2008, 1:08:24 PM3/31/08
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:01:19 -0700, "Mike Painter" <mddotp...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>>> Ask that question to mikey painter. He's an expert on the partial
>>> pressure of
>>> air, or farts for that matter.

>To explain.
>Earl has said that,
>1. He does not believe in a real flood,
>2. That a real flood has happened sometime in the last 4 billion years or
>so,
>3. and that a flood as described in the bible actually happened.
>(Anything for attention.)

Uh, no, mikey - I NEVER said the flood actually happened. I don't know. You
must be smelling some of those 5-gram farts floating around.

>Quite some time ago I pointed out that almost any high school physics
>student or any (in the old days) Scuba diver would know one of the myriad
>reasons a flood did not happen.
>If the flood covered the tallest mountain of 15 cubits or even only covered
>hill about 300 feet tall, the partial pressure of O2 would have killed all
>humans and most other animals, even if they didn't start a little fire.
>Apparently Earl the engineer had never heard of Dalton's law of partial
>pressures and/or could not do the simple calculations required.

Remember, mikey, that one day in the far, far distant past, Mt Everest was just
a speed bump.

>He trots it out now and again much more often then he brings out his
>"scientific "reason why the human body is proof of design (that one was a
>lie of commission, while his other was a lie of omission.)

Nope, agian, mikey dumbass - I never claimed such "proof".

Heeheeheeheeheehee.

janp...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2008, 10:20:56 PM3/31/08
On Mar 31, 3:00 am, Mike <prabb...@shamrocksgf.com> wrote:

> The vital lung capacity (the difference between breathing fully in and
> fully out) of the average male is around 4.7 liters. Taking a deep
> breath causes a very noticeable change in the shape of the chest and
> abdomen. I don't think anyone's farts are of such a volume as to make
> that huge of a difference (otherwise people's pants would be falling
> down left and right...er, wait a sec...*looking at the typical teen
> male*...scratch that hypothesis<g>)- Hide quoted text -
I should mention here that a similar topic of the weight loss in
people who died when placed on a scale, is discussed (in the Polish
language) at the internet address
http://groups.google.com/group/pl.sci.fizyka/browse_thread/thread/20ea216a2f04d7fc/8134e8e28a9c81a0#8134e8e28a9c81a0
.

The interesting matter elaborated in that Polish discussion, is the
repetition of the same experiment on animals. The point is that we
have thousands of veterinary clinics in the world, almost all of which
have accurate scales, and almost all of which "put to sleep" hundreds
of various old animals (e.g. dogs, cats, etc.). Thus, for veterinary
doctors do NOT constitute any difficulty to place an animal which they
are just "putting to sleep" on a scale and then watch what happens
with the weight of this animal at the moment of death. To prevent the
"escaping gases" explanation, it is possible to place an animal into a
plastic bag. This should provide a range of answers which we do NOT
know from the original research on this subject completed in the
Duncan Hospital in 1909. For example it should provide the answer why
the loss of weight at the moment of death is NOT proportional do the
bodily weight (e.g. perhaps it is proportional to the intelligence of
a given dying creature, or to the number of reincarnations that this
creature went through).

The "theory of everything" called the Concept of Dipolar Gravity (see
the totaliztic web page named "dipolar_gravity.htm") states that every
animal have a soul. Thus, the weighting of animals at the moment of
death should provide the same data as the weighting of people. The
findings of the Concept of Dip[olar Grawvity are also confirmed by
experimental research completed on the "death flash" - which also is
emited by every animal and even by every insect.

It would be interesting to see what would yield the experiments on the
weight loss at the moment of death completed on animals. Is there any
veterinary doctor amongst the readers?

Charles & Mambo Duckman

Apr 1, 2008, 1:33:31 AM4/1/08
janp...@gmail.com wrote:

> The "theory of everything" called the Concept of Dipolar Gravity (see
> the totaliztic web page named "dipolar_gravity.htm") states that every
> animal have a soul.

No, the "theory of everything" is called the Concept of Unlimited Stupidity
and it states that no matter what stupid shit one reads on the Internet,
there is always shit that is almost infinitely stupider.

Take your posts, for example. They're as batshit stupid as they can be, but
odds are that tomorrow there will be another idiot posting even more stupid
crap, even though right now that hardly seems possible.

--
Come down off the cross
We can use the wood

Tom Waits, Come On Up To The House

Don Martin

Apr 1, 2008, 9:23:35 AM4/1/08
On Apr 1, 1:33 am, Charles & Mambo Duckman <duck...@gfy.slf> wrote:

> janpa...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The "theory of everything" called the Concept of Dipolar Gravity (see
> > the totaliztic web page named "dipolar_gravity.htm") states that every
> > animal have a soul.
>
> No, the "theory of everything" is called the Concept of Unlimited Stupidity
> and it states that no matter what stupid shit one reads on the Internet,
> there is always shit that is almost infinitely stupider.
>
> Take your posts, for example. They're as batshit stupid as they can be, but
> odds are that tomorrow there will be another idiot posting even more stupid
> crap, even though right now that hardly seems possible.

'Tis always refreshing to read one of your posts, C&M. Perhaps the
Internet might be described as a black hole of intellect, constantly
drawing everything to below its own level.

Cj

Apr 3, 2008, 8:30:15 PM4/3/08
"Ken" <flak...@aol.com> wrote in message
There is no doubt that a 5 gram (14 liter) fart would be lethal and it would
coincide with the moment of death.
Cj