(LSJ) Weather Control and impulse

floppyzedolfin

Jul 23, 2010, 9:46:54 AM7/23/10
Hi again,

Say A (acting) and B are in combat.
Before range, A plays Weather Control.

Can A pass?
Apparently not ( http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/22c2c88bcb680694
)
The damage has to be handled right away.

However, it's been said in other threads (
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/ae9d72e5dd7b879e
for example) that "before range cards" could be played right there,
before the damage gets applied and after WC is played.

So the question is: Who gets the(*) impulse to play cards ?

My guess is that a new impulse is created (the usual "prevention"
impulse), which is A's as long as A continues playing "prevention"
cards (such as Skin of Night, Flesh of Marble, Torn Signpost or Terror
Frenzy).
When E passes on playing cards / using effects in this impulse, the
damage is resolved (going back to A's "before range impulse").
Is this correct?

(*) I suppose it's not the "before range" impulse (which is A's at
this point), since A can't pass until WC's damage is applied - if it
were, it would mean B couldn't play any card at all.

Thanks.

~ ~

Weather Control
Cardtype: Combat
Discipline: Thaumaturgy
Only usable before range is determined on the first round.
[tha] Both combatants and each of their retainers take 1 unpreventable
damage before range is determined each round. A vampire may play only
one Weather Control each combat.
[THA] As above, but the amount of damage inflicted increases by 1 in
each subsequent round.

Vincent

Jul 23, 2010, 10:29:07 AM7/23/10
Please note that Weather Control isn't Outside the Hourglass:

Weather Control : "...take 1 unpreventable damage before range is
determined each round". The acting player chooses when the damage is
dealt (he may play other effects before deciding to apply the damage
from WC. Source: PM between Stone and LSJ). In other words, WC creates
a pending effect.

Outside the Hourglass: "Inflict 2 damage on the opposing minion". The
damage is inflicted when the card resolves.

floppyzedolfin

Jul 23, 2010, 10:40:13 AM7/23/10

Sure. What matters here is that the acting can't pass.
It would be the same with Outside the Hourglass: the acting can't pass
- damage has to be resolved before the opposing (or anyone else) gets
an opportunity to "classically" play "before range" cards.

Meej

Jul 23, 2010, 11:22:49 AM7/23/10
On Jul 23, 9:46 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (*) I suppose it's not the "before range" impulse (which is A's at
> this point), since A can't pass until WC's damage is applied - if it
> were, it would mean B couldn't play any card at all.

Except for the RTR from 2-Dec-2004 (
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7b4a0293b1e288be
):
"The damage resolution phase does not preclude other effects (like
tapping a
Barrens, for example). You may tap the Barrens to attempt to draw into
more
damage prevention, or play Aura Reading when Weather Control damage is
applied (to attempt to draw Skin of Night if a Dawn Operation is in
play,
for example)..."

So B can't play any cards till A announces "We're now handling the
damage from WC. Here are my damage-resolution effects. Now I pass.
What effects do you want to play during damage resolution?" At which
point, by the RTR, it looks like B can play any before-range effect xe
likes. Then, once they're done and the damage is all handled and
resolved, if the combat's still going, it's A's pre-range impulse to
do something or pass again.

- D.J.

LSJ

Jul 23, 2010, 1:47:41 PM7/23/10
On Jul 23, 11:22 am, Meej <djchag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 9:46 am, floppyzedolfin <floppyzedol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > (*) I suppose it's not the "before range" impulse (which is A's at
> > this point), since A can't pass until WC's damage is applied - if it
> > were, it would mean B couldn't play any card at all.
>
> Except for the RTR from 2-Dec-2004 (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/7b4a...

> ):
> "The damage resolution phase does not preclude other effects (like
> tapping a
> Barrens, for example). You may tap the Barrens to attempt to draw into
> more
> damage prevention, or play Aura Reading when Weather Control damage is
> applied (to attempt to draw Skin of Night if a Dawn Operation is in
> play,
> for example)..."
>
> So B can't play any cards till A announces "We're now handling the
> damage from WC.  Here are my damage-resolution effects.  Now I pass.
> What effects do you want to play during damage resolution?"  At which
> point, by the RTR, it looks like B can play any before-range effect xe
> likes.  Then, once they're done and the damage is all handled and
> resolved, if the combat's still going, it's A's pre-range impulse to
> do something or pass again.

Correct.