Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

thinbl...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2018, 8:24:17 PM10/14/18
Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

◙ Background:

The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

◙ 2017:

Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/

◙ 2018:

Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi

1. Install a Russian base
2. Take oil to $200
3. Kill the petro dollar
4. Stop buying US weapons

US will "stab its own economy to death"

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Michael OConnor

Oct 14, 2018, 8:59:10 PM10/14/18
A harshly written letter of condemnation to the UN isn't going to fix this. It's clear Saudi Arabia is using the Putin playbook with regard to how to deal with your enemies. Saudi Arabia is goading Trump into reacting, and I think he will react, one way or another, as well he should. We can't have nations going around torturing and murdering journalists they disagree with. It's wrong when Russia did it, and the UN didn't do a goddamn thing about it then, and it's wrong when Saudi Arabia does it, and it's about time somebody calls them out on the carpet. I'm not a fan of Trump nor did I vote for him, but if we let them slide on this, sooner or later they will take out a journalist you do care about.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2018, 12:00:26 AM10/20/18
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/

Members of the ruling family are increasingly worried about the direction of the country under the leadership of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the 33-year-old favorite son of King Salman and the kingdom’s day-to-day ruler.

Uproar Over Dissident Rattles Saudi Royal Family
By Ben Hubbard and David D. Kirkpatrick Oct. 19, 2018
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-jamal-khashoggi.html

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi

> 3. Kill the petro dollar

What is the Petrodollar and Why Does It Matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNr1LWgIyiE

> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2018, 5:38:48 PM11/13/18
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
Exclusive: Russia clashes with Western oil buyers over new deals as sanctions loom
Olga Yagova, Dmitry Zhdannikov NOVEMBER 9, 2018
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-oil-sanctions-exclusive/exclusive-russia-clashes-with-western-oil-buyers-over-new-deals-as-sanctions-loom-idUSKCN1NE0FL

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian energy majors are putting pressure on Western oil buyers to use euros instead of dollars for payments and introducing penalty clauses in contracts as Moscow seeks protection against possible new U.S. sanctions.

Seven industry sources told Reuters that Western oil majors and trading houses have clashed with Russia’s third and fourth biggest producers, Gazprom Neft and Surgutneftegaz, over 2019 oil sales contract terms during unusually tough annual renegotiation in recent weeks.

The development mirrors a similar stand-off between Western buyers and Russia’s top oil producer, Rosneft (ROSN.MM).

Earlier this week, trading sources told Reuters that Rosneft wants Western oil buyers to pay penalties from 2019 if they fail to pay for supplies in the event that new U.S. sanctions disrupt sales.

Now sources have told Reuters that Surgutneftegaz and Gazprom Neft have also clashed with their buyers over penalties and the use of euros and other currencies to replace the dollar in contracts.

“It is part of the same trend - the Russian oil industry is working on mitigating new sanctions risks. The buyers in turn argue they cannot carry those risks so we are trying to find compromises,” said one source with a Western buyer involved in negotiations, asking not to be named as the talks are confidential.

Russia has been under U.S. and EU sanctions since 2014 when it invaded Ukraine’s Crimean peninsula. The sanctions have been repeatedly widened to include new companies and sectors, making it tough for Russian oil firms to borrow money abroad, raise new capital or develop Arctic and unconventional deposits.

President Vladimir Putin’s administration has been hoping for a thaw in relations with the United States since President Donald Trump came to power but Washington has imposed new sanctions instead, including on some of Russia’s richest people.

Russian businesses are preparing for a new wave of sanctions expected in the coming weeks. The firms are trying to diversify away from dollar payments and tapping Asia for more of their financing and technology needs.

According to four industry sources, Surgutneftegaz asked buyers to be prepared to switch from dollar to euro payments in contracts, and insisted on buyers being effectively responsible for any losses arising from sanctions.

“They basically said - sanctions don’t matter. Buyers have to find a way to pay, or to return purchased goods, or pay penalties,” a source with a big trading house said.

Gazprom Neft has also asked buyers to use euros in payments and bear financial responsibility for contract breaches in the case of new sanctions, according to three sources.

Gazprom Neft refused to comment. Surgutneftegaz did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

Russia supplies over 10 percent of global oil, so drastic sanctions against it could lead to a steep spike in oil prices.

All global oil majors rely on Russia to feed their refineries, especially in Europe and Asia, and hence they cannot just walk away from annual contract negotiations if they are unhappy with terms.

Talks with both Gazprom Neft and Surgutneftegaz have been progressing slowly and painfully, according to trading sources.

Several Western buyers have managed to agreed compromises with Surgutneftegaz and Gazprom Neft, but others are still in tough talks with the producers, the sources said.

All Surgutneftegaz’s contracts are bespoke and are negotiated individually in the Siberian town of Surgut by the firm’s management and visiting Western trading bosses.

The sources declined to name companies that have already reached compromise deals.

In one such compromise, a large European buyer agreed to the use of euros in payments in exchange for Surgutneftegaz dropping its demand for penalties from buyers who fail to pay for cargoes.

“We have been arguing that if sanctions make it impossible to pay for an oil cargo, how on earth are we supposed to pay penalties,” one trading source said.

“So we have agreed that the payment remains suspended for the entire duration of sanctions - just like it works with Iran,” he added.

----------------

The Horny Goat

Nov 13, 2018, 8:04:56 PM11/13/18
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:38:44 -0800 (PST), thinbl...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Gazprom Neft has also asked buyers to use euros in payments and bear financial responsibility for contract breaches in the case of new sanctions, according to three sources.

Uh don't they already have a 'force majeure' clause in their
contracts? Amazing.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2018, 2:27:04 PM11/18/18
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
Previously on, "I've got a nickel"
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/c1lvM4vESds/bjgqENd0CAAJ

The anti-dollar awakening could be ruder and sooner than most economists predict
Gal Luft 27 Aug 2018
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/27/the-anti-dollar-awakening-could-be-ruder-and-sooner-than-most-economists-predict.html

The United States is currently waging economic warfare against one tenth of the world's countries with cumulative population of nearly 2 billion people and combined gross domestic product (GDP) of more than $15 trillion.

These include Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Myanmar, the Democratic Republic of Congo, North Korea and others on which Washington has imposed sanctions over the years, but also countries like China, Pakistan and Turkey which are not under full sanctions but rather targets of other punitive economic measures.

In addition, thousands of individuals from scores of countries are included in the Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals who are effectively blocked from the U.S.-dominated global financial system. Many of those designated are either part of or closely linked to their countries' leadership.

From a U.S. perspective, each one of the economic entities is targeted for a good reason be it human rights violations, terrorism, crime, nuclear trade, corruption or in the case of China, unfair trade practices and intellectual property theft.

But in recent months it seems that America's unwavering commitment to fight all of the world's scourges has brought all those governments and the wealthy individuals who support them to a critical mass, joining forces to create a parallel financial system which would be out of reach of America's long arm. Should they succeed, the impact on America's global posture would be transformational.

America's global supremacy has been made possible not only thanks to its military power and its alliance system but also due to its control over the plumbing of global finance and particularly the broad acceptance of the dollar as the world's reserve currency. The unique status of the U.S. currency has anchored the global financial system since World War II.

Any transaction done in U.S. dollars or using a U.S. bank automatically brings the trading parties under American legal jurisdiction. When the U.S. decides to impose unilateral sanctions, as in the case of Iran, it essentially tells the world's governments, corporations and individuals they must choose between halting business with the sanctioned country or be shut off from the world's number one economy. This is a powerful stick.

Not many companies or banks can afford to give up on the U.S. market or be denied access to U.S. financial institutions.

Revisionist countries that wish to challenge the U.S.-led system see this as an affront to their economic sovereignty. Which is why both Russia and China have developed their own versions of the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT), the global network that allows cross-border financial transactions among thousands of banks. Both countries are also urging their trading partners to ditch the dollar in their bilateral trade in favor of indigenous currencies.

This month Russia was quick to recruit Turkey into the anti-dollar bloc, announcing it would back non-dollar trade with it, after a financial feud between Ankara and Washington broke out. China for its part is using its trillion-dollar Belt and Road Initiative as a tool to compel countries to transact in yuan terms instead of dollars. Pakistan, the number one recipient of Belt and Road money, and Iran have already announced their intention to do just that. Last month's BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) summit in Johannesburg was a call to arms against the dollar hegemony with countries like Turkey, Jamaica, Indonesia, Argentina and Egypt invited to join in what is known as "BRICS plus" with the goal of creating a de-dollarized economy.

The main front where the future of the dollar will be decided is the global commodity market, especially the $1.7 trillion oil market. Ever since 1973, when President Richard Nixon unilaterally severed the U.S. dollar from the gold standard and convinced the Saudis and the rest of the OPEC countries to sell their oil only in dollars, the global oil trade has been linked to the American currency. This paved the way for the rest of the commodities to be traded in dollars as well. The arrangement served America well. It created an ever growing demand for the greenback, which in turn enabled consecutive U.S. governments to freely run their growing deficits.

Not anymore. Because so many of the members of the anti-dollar alliance are exporters of commodities they no longer feel that their products should be either priced by a dollar-denominated benchmark like WTI and Brent or be traded in a currency they no longer crave.

For example, when China buys oil from Angola, gas from Russia, coal from Mongolia or soybeans from Brazil it prefers to do so in its own currency and thereby avoid unwanted exchange rate fees on both sides of the transaction. This is already beginning to happen.

Russia and China have agreed to transact some of their traded energy in yuan. China is pushing its main oil suppliers Saudi Arabia, Angola and Iran to receive yuans for their oil. And last year China introduced gold-backed futures contracts, dubbed "petro-yuan" in the Shanghai International Energy Exchange - the first non-dollar crude benchmark in Asia.

The gradual acceptance of digital currencies, backed by blockchain technology offers another way for the revisionists to ditch the dollar in their trading. The Russian central bank indicated that it was considering launching a national cryptocurrency called "cryptoruble" and in the interim it helped Venezuela's launch of its own cryptocurrency, the "petro," which is backed by the country's vast oil reserves. Now BRICS members are discussing a BRICS-backed cryptocurrency.

All of those actions and others point to one direction: In the coming years the dollar will be facing a barrage of attacks with the goal of eroding its hegemony and the energy trading market will be one of the main battlefields where the future of America's economic dominance will be decided. Any successful attempt to delink commodity trading from the dollar will have a cascading impact not only on the global economic system as we know it but also on America's posture abroad.

With the overall positive state of the U.S. economy and the remarkable strength of the dollar compared to the currencies of the dollar-busters including the Russian ruble, the yuan, the Turkish lira and the Iranian rial it may be easy to sink into complacency and dismiss the actions of the revisionists as mere pinpricks.

But ignoring the growing anti-dollar coalition would be to America's detriment. Bull markets eventually come to an end and with a national debt of $21 trillion and growing at a rate of a trillion dollars a year, the awakening could be ruder and sooner than most economists predict.

In the midst of America's economic euphoria it is worth remembering that one of every four people on the planet lives today in a country whose government is committed to end the dollar hegemony. Thwarting their effort should be Washington's top national priority.

Gal Luft is co-director of the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security and senior advisor to the United States Energy Security Council.

-----------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolPQL83hFA

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2018, 7:43:59 AM11/21/18
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia
FOREIGN POLICY Issued on: November 20, 2018
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

America First!

The world is a very dangerous place!

The country of Iran, as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq’s fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria (who has killed millions of his own citizens), and much more. Likewise, the Iranians have killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout the Middle East. Iran states openly, and with great force, “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!” Iran is considered “the world’s leading sponsor of terror.”

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would gladly withdraw from Yemen if the Iranians would agree to leave. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Saudi Arabia has agreed to spend billions of dollars in leading the fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors. If we foolishly cancel these contracts, Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries – and very happy to acquire all of this newfound business. It would be a wonderful gift to them directly from the United States!

The crime against Jamal Khashoggi was a terrible one, and one that our country does not condone. Indeed, we have taken strong action against those already known to have participated in the murder. After great independent research, we now know many details of this horrible crime. We have already sanctioned 17 Saudis known to have been involved in the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, and the disposal of his body.

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of terrorism throughout the world!

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction – and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America. After the United States, Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As President of the United States I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

thinbl...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 8:57:49 PM2/8/19
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
Central Banks Are on the Biggest Gold-Buying Spree in a Half Century
By Rupert Rowling and Susanne Barton January 31, 2019
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-31/gold-demand-up-amid-biggest-central-bank-buying-spree-in-decades

Central banks bought more bullion last year than anytime since 1971, when the U.S. ended the gold standard.

Governments added 651.5 tons of gold to their coffers in 2018, a 74 percent increase from the previous year, according to a report from the World Gold Council.

Russia, which is "de-dollarizing" its reserves, was the biggest buyer, followed by Turkey and Kazakhstan. Hungary also made a large purchase, citing gold’s lack of counterparty risk and role as a hedge against changes in the international finance system, the WGC said.

“Central banks chose to significantly increase their gold reserves, reinforcing the importance of gold as a reserve asset,” the WGC said.

Central banks are expected to acquire an additional 600 tons this year, according to the consulting firm Metals Focus Ltd. The buys, which will help the banks diversify their foreign-exchange assets in a time of extraordinary political volatility, signal a growing confidence in the metal’s value moving forward.

The banks "were not net buyers even a decade ago," said Juan Carlos Artigas, director of investment research at the WGC, in a telephone interview. "As their foreign reserves expand, they are increasingly diversifying away from pure dollar exposure."

Slowing global growth, a weaker U.S. dollar and a drive by central banks to expand the amount of gold they hold could be a winning trifecta for investors seeking a recovery in the metal’s price after its first annual loss in three years.

Gold prices ended 2018 little changed, but rallied toward the end of the year amid concerns about Brexit, a falling stock market and expectations for a less aggressive U.S. monetary policy. The trend has continued this month, with bullion climbing to the highest since May.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2019, 2:51:39 AM2/24/19
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/190222183539-president-xi-mohammed-bin-salman-0222-exlarge-169.jpg

From a golden gun to a bear hug ... Saudi Prince's Asia tour tells the West: You may shun me, but I'm not alone
Analysis by Jenni Marsh, CNN February 24, 2019
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/23/asia/mbs-saudi-arabia-crown-prince-asia-tour-round-up-intl/index.html
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/sau/#Destinations

China is already Saudi Arabia's biggest trading partner

thinbl...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2019, 6:10:49 PM8/24/19
Bank of England Governor Mark Carney speaks
CNBC Television Published on Aug 23, 2019
https://youtu.be/IPgWAWNyqMU?t=468

The Bank of England Governor, Mark Carney, talks about Brexit and the global economy. With CNBC's Melissa Lee and the Options Action traders, Karen Finerman and Mike Khouw.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/-/media/boe/files/speech/2019/the-growing-challenges-for-monetary-policy-speech-by-mark-carney.pdf

The Growing Challenges for Monetary Policy in the current
International Monetary and Financial System
Speech given by Mark Carney
Governor of the Bank of England
Jackson Hole Symposium 2019

thinbl...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2019, 12:39:50 PM10/24/19
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

US Congressman: Bitcoin Is A Threat To The US Dollar
JORDAN LYANCHEV UPDATED OCT 24, 2019
https://cryptopotato.com/us-congressman-bitcoin-is-a-threat-to-the-us-dollar/

Yesterday the CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg appeared before Congress to answer questions, predominantly on Libra, their planned cryptocurrency. Congressman Brad Sherman took the opportunity to bash cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, saying that they could pose a threat to the US Dollar.

During the hearing, Congressman Sherman was quick to address the challenges that cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin could introduce to traditional fiat currencies like the US Dollar.

According to him, cryptocurrencies present a potential threat to the U.S. dollar and its financial status as “the sole reserve currency in the world.” He continued in the same direction, stating that “cryptocurrency either doesn’t work, in which case investors lose a lot of money, or it does achieve its objectives perhaps and displaces the US dollar…”

Despite the criticism, Zuckerberg told lawmakers in prepared remarks that the Facebook-backed libra cryptocurrency “will extend America’s financial leadership as well as our democratic values and oversight around the world.”

“While we debate these issues, the rest of the world isn’t waiting. China is moving quickly to launch similar ideas in the coming months,” Zuckerberg said in his remarks. “Libra will be backed mostly by dollars, and I believe it will extend America’s financial leadership as well as our democratic values and oversight around the world. If America doesn’t innovate, our financial leadership is not guaranteed.”

Bitcoin plummets to lowest level since June as cryptocurrencies come under fire from Congress
PUBLISHED WED, OCT 23 201
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/23/bitcoin-plummets-as-cryptocurrencies-come-under-fire-from-congress.html

thinbl...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2019, 4:44:44 PM10/28/19
Bitcoin’s price rose sharply over the weekend, recovering from a plunge just days earlier, after Chinese President Xi Jinping gave a speech embracing blockchain technology and calling on his country to advance development in the field.

The value of the world’s best-known cryptocurrency jumped as high as $10,332 on Saturday, according to data from industry website CoinDesk. The price has since eased to around $9,370 as of Monday morning, up about 1% on the day.

The virtual currency’s jump came as China’s leader sang the praises of blockchain, the technology that underpins cryptocurrencies like bitcoin. According to state media, Xi said Friday that China has a strong foundation and should look to take a leading position in the sector.

He reportedly said China should “seize the opportunity” offered by blockchain, adding the technology could benefit a range of industries including finance, education and health care. A blockchain is a digital ledger that maintains a record of transactions or other data across a network of computers.

Bitcoin had a wild weekend, briefly topping $10,000, after China’s Xi sang blockchain’s praises
OCT 28 2019 Ryan Browne
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/28/bitcoin-btc-price-climbs-as-chinas-xi-jinping-embraces-blockchain.html

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2019, 7:50:48 AM11/17/19
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 12:39:50 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/ow9apW3NXBc/Q_5rz8GnAQAJ

> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
> >

> > ◙ Background:
> >
> > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
> >
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

> US Congressman: Bitcoin Is A Threat To The US Dollar
> JORDAN LYANCHEV UPDATED OCT 24, 2019
> https://cryptopotato.com/us-congressman-bitcoin-is-a-threat-to-the-us-dollar/

> According to him, cryptocurrencies present a potential threat to the U.S. dollar and its financial status as “the sole reserve currency in the world.” He continued in the same direction, stating that “cryptocurrency either doesn’t work, in which case investors lose a lot of money, or it does achieve its objectives perhaps and displaces the US dollar…”

> Despite the criticism, Zuckerberg told lawmakers in prepared remarks that the Facebook-backed libra cryptocurrency “will extend America’s financial leadership as well as our democratic values and oversight around the world.”
>
> “While we debate these issues, the rest of the world isn’t waiting. China is moving quickly to launch similar ideas in the coming months,” Zuckerberg said in his remarks. “Libra will be backed mostly by dollars, and I believe it will extend America’s financial leadership as well as our democratic values and oversight around the world. If America doesn’t innovate, our financial leadership is not guaranteed.”

> https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/23/bitcoin-plummets-as-cryptocurrencies-come-under-fire-from-congress.html

Presidential Hopeful Andrew Yang Plans to Regulate Crypto Industry
https://cointelegraph.com/news/presidential-hopeful-andrew-yang-plans-to-regulate-crypto-industry

Yang further pointed out that in order to effectively regulate innovative technologies like blockchain and cryptocurrencies, the U.S. government first needs to understand it.

Yang is referring to the Financial Services Committee, who questioned Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg for over six hours about the Libra Association and its planned Libra token. Yang said:

“It’s embarrassing to see the ignorance some members of Congress display when talking about technology, and anyone who watched Congress question Mark Zuckerberg is well aware of this. Without a base level of understanding, it’s unreasonable to expect proper regulation of major tech companies, or the drafting of legislation that addresses the critical technological issues that we’ll continue to face in artificial intelligence and cybersecurity.”

///

Vladimir Putin Sums Up The New World Order
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/vladimir-putin-sums-new-world-order-5-words

"The Dollar enjoyed great trust around the world. But, for some reason, it is now being used as a political weapon to impose restrictions.""Many countries are now turning away from the Dollar as a Reserve Currency."

///

Putin’s Pledge to Ditch the Dollar Is Slowly Becoming a Reality
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-04/putin-s-pledge-to-ditch-the-dollar-is-slowly-becoming-a-reality

///

If a new crypto order is coming, then Vladimir Putin has a sprinting head start. Russia’s huge energy reserves and ready-made network of underused power plants is the cryptocurrency equivalent of a blank check. The US, complacent in its old position as gatekeeper of global finance, hasn’t yet fully grasped the danger.

https://www.wired.com/story/cryptocurrency-boom-post-soviet-frontier/

https://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/shady-cryptocurrency-boom-post-soviet-frontier

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 11:30:28 AM11/21/19
On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 7:50:48 AM UTC-5, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 12:39:50 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/ow9apW3NXBc/Q_5rz8GnAQAJ
>
> > On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
> > >

> > > ◙ Background:
> > >
> > > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
> > >
> > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> > US Congressman: Bitcoin Is A Threat To The US Dollar
> > JORDAN LYANCHEV UPDATED OCT 24, 2019
> > https://cryptopotato.com/us-congressman-bitcoin-is-a-threat-to-the-us-dollar/
>

> > According to him, cryptocurrencies present a potential threat to the U.S. dollar and its financial status as “the sole reserve currency in the world.” He continued in the same direction, stating that “cryptocurrency either doesn’t work, in which case investors lose a lot of money, or it does achieve its objectives perhaps and displaces the US dollar…”
>

> > Despite the criticism, Zuckerberg told lawmakers in prepared remarks that the Facebook-backed libra cryptocurrency “will extend America’s financial leadership as well as our democratic values and oversight around the world.”
> >
> > “While we debate these issues, the rest of the world isn’t waiting. China is moving quickly to launch similar ideas in the coming months,” Zuckerberg said in his remarks. “Libra will be backed mostly by dollars, and I believe it will extend America’s financial leadership as well as our democratic values and oversight around the world. If America doesn’t innovate, our financial leadership is not guaranteed.”
>
> > https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/23/bitcoin-plummets-as-cryptocurrencies-come-under-fire-from-congress.html

Trump hosted Zuckerberg for undisclosed dinner at the White House in October
Nov. 20, 2019 By Dylan Byers and Ben Collins
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/trump-hosted-zuckerberg-undisclosed-dinner-white-house-october-n1087986

President Donald Trump hosted a previously undisclosed dinner with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook board member Peter Thiel at the White House in October, the company told NBC News on Wednesday.

The meeting took place during Zuckerberg’s most recent visit to Washington, where he testified before Congress about Facebook’s new cryptocurrency Libra.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2020, 2:03:11 PM1/11/20
The Trump administration warned Iraq this week that it risks losing access to a critical government bank account if Baghdad kicks out American forces following the U.S. airstrike that killed a top Iranian general, according to Iraqi officials.

The State Department warned that the U.S. could shut down Iraq’s access to the country’s central bank account held at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, a move that could jolt Iraq’s already shaky economy, the officials said.

Iraq, like other countries, maintains government accounts at the New York Fed as an important part of managing the country’s finances, including revenue from oil sales.

U.S. Warns Iraq It Risks Losing Access to Key Bank Account if Troops Told to Leave
Ian Talley in Washington Isabel Coles in Beirut Jan. 11, 2020
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-warns-iraq-it-risks-losing-access-to-key-bank-account-if-troops-told-to-leave-11578759629
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

chromebook test

Nov 24, 2021, 11:45:56 AM11/24/21
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 10:46:54 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:

> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/ow9apW3NXBc/m/EGFhpe44CAAJ
Video unavailable
This video has been removed by the uploader

> What is the Petrodollar and Why Does It Matter
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNr1LWgIyiE

What is the Petrodollar and Why Does It Matter (archive.org)
https://web.archive.org/web/20180124004836/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNr1LWgIyiE

> Flush With Cash, Saudi Prince Snubs Biden and Sends a Message
> Matthew Martin and Javier Blas November 24, 2021
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-24/flush-with-cash-saudi-prince-snubs-biden-and-sends-a-message?sref=n5LiIHhd

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

chromebook test

May 6, 2022, 3:32:02 PM5/6/22
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 11:45:56 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 10:46:54 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
>

> > https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/ow9apW3NXBc/m/EGFhpe44CAAJ
> > > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
> > >

> > > ◙ Background:
> > >
> > > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
> > >
> > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
> > >

> > > ◙ 2017:
> > >
> > > Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> > > https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
> > >

> > > ◙ 2018:
> > >
> > > Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
> > >
> > > 1. Install a Russian base
> > > 2. Take oil to $200
> > > 3. Kill the petro dollar
> > > 4. Stop buying US weapons
> > >
> > > US will "stab its own economy to death"
> > >
> > > https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> > > https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

> What is the Petrodollar and Why Does It Matter (archive.org)
> https://web.archive.org/web/20180124004836/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNr1LWgIyiE

> > Flush With Cash, Saudi Prince Snubs Biden and Sends a Message
> > Matthew Martin and Javier Blas November 24, 2021
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-24/flush-with-cash-saudi-prince-snubs-biden-and-sends-a-message?sref=n5LiIHhd

The U.S.-led effort to thwart Russian President Vladimir Putin is being actively undermined by America’s supposed Persian Gulf allies, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. The dictators who run these petrostates are raking in profits from oil sales while sky-high prices are filling Putin’s coffers and hurting the U.S. and European economies. With friends like these, who needs enemies? And why is the Biden administration playing along?

As Putin uses Russia’s energy to both blackmail and punish the West for helping Ukraine, Saudi Arabia’s de factor ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (known as MBS) and UAE Crown Prince Mohamed bin Zayed al-Nahyan (known as MBZ) have been rejecting calls to do the one thing in their power that would help: pump more oil. Meanwhile, MBS is taking advantage of the Ukraine crisis to pressure the Biden administration into abandoning President Biden’s campaign promise to reset the U.S.-Saudi relationship.

CIA Director William J. Burns’s secret trip to Saudi Arabia last month, revealed this week, is only the latest example of the Biden administration going hat in hand to beg MBS to turn on the taps. This raises an obvious question: Who do these Gulf monarchs consider their true ally — the United States or Russia?

“Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates today are Russia’s allies in the Persian Gulf, by virtue of laundering Russian money and refusing categorically and deliberately to increase oil production,” Rep. Tom Malinowski (D-N.J.) said at the McCain Institute’s Sedona Forum last weekend. “This is a moment where we need more countries to face a choice: Whose side are you on?”

America’s Gulf ‘allies’ are now Putin’s enablers
Josh Rogin 2022-05-05
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/05/saudi-arabia-uae-helping-putin-hurting-us-biden-allies-gulf-russia/

tags: this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

chromebook test

Jun 11, 2022, 7:08:51 AM6/11/22
On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 11:45:56 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 10:46:54 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:

> > https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/ow9apW3NXBc/m/EGFhpe44CAAJ

> > > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
> > >

> > > ◙ Background:
> > >
> > > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
> > >
> > > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

> > > ◙ 2017:
> > >
> > > Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> > > https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/

> > > ◙ 2018:
> > >
> > > Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
> > >
> > > 1. Install a Russian base
> > > 2. Take oil to $200
> > > 3. Kill the petro dollar
> > > 4. Stop buying US weapons
> > >
> > > US will "stab its own economy to death"
> > >
> > > https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> > > https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

(CNN)Senior US officials have conveyed to Saudi Arabia that the US is prepared to move forward with a "reset" of the relationship, and effectively move on from the 2018 murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi in order to repair ties with the key Middle East ally, senior US officials tell CNN.

The planning for a reset is a dramatic about-face for President Joe Biden, who came into office vowing to make Saudi Arabia a "pariah" over Khashoggi's murder. His administration also released an intelligence report last year that directly accused Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of orchestrating Khashoggi's killing.

But officials say Biden, who is under immense pressure to crack down on Russia and lower domestic gas prices amid inflation that's rising at the fastest pace since 1981, has set aside his moral outrage to pursue warmer relations with the Kingdom amid the dramatic global upheaval spurred by the Kremlin's invasion of Ukraine.

US seeks full reset with Saudi Arabia, effectively moving on from the murder of Jamal Khashoggi
11/15/2021, Natasha Bertrand Alex Marquardt
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/us-saudi-relationship-reset-jamal-khashoggi/index.html

TAGS: Realpolitik, and national interests, NOT ESG, dominate foreign policy decisions of major powers. READ John Mearsheimer

----------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyv905Q2omU

chromebook test

Jun 13, 2022, 6:40:45 PM6/13/22
"the close US/Saudi partnership shows that the US does not care -- at all -- if other countries are democratic or despotic. It only cares that other countries' regimes serve US interests. Trump's only sin was he was honest about this."

Joe Biden's Submissive -- and Highly Revealing -- Embrace of Saudi Despots
Biden's immediate abandonment of his 2020 vow to turn the Saudis into "pariahs," and his increasing support for the regime, shows the core deceit of U.S. propaganda.
Jun 12, 2022 Glenn Greenwald
https://greenwald.substack.com/p/joe-bidens-submissive-and-highly?s=w

--------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3GtAnO66o

chromebook test

Jul 14, 2022, 5:32:14 PM7/14/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Biden’s Saudi Lesson: The Only Path Runs Through M.B.S.
President Biden tried to isolate Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over human rights abuses. Now, the United States needs Saudi Arabia, and Mr. Biden is about to visit.
Ben Hubbard July 14, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/14/world/middleeast/biden-saudi-arabia-mbs.html

BEIRUT, Lebanon — The Saudi Arabia that President Biden will visit this week is a country being actively reshaped by the whims and visions of one man: Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

As the de facto ruler of the oil-rich monarchy, the 36-year-old prince has cast himself as a reformer, loosening some restrictions of ultraconservative Islam by permitting women to drive and allowing once-forbidden cinemas and concerts.

But the prince’s rule has also been defined by his institutionalization of force — both to quash domestic dissent and to pursue a more muscular foreign policy. Stepping beyond the old Saudi model of quietly cultivating influence with cash-driven diplomacy, Prince Mohammed has bombed Yemen, moved aggressively to jail activists and critics and, according to the Central Intelligence Agency, dispatched the hit squad that murdered the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

It was because of these human rights concerns that Mr. Biden vowed during his election campaign to make Saudi Arabia a “pariah” and refused once in office to speak with Prince Mohammed, seeking to punish him with isolation.

It did not work.

With Russia’s invasion of Ukraine affecting oil prices and Iran believed to be expanding its nuclear capabilities, Mr. Biden suddenly needs Saudi Arabia’s help — and must confront the reality that the only way to get it is through Prince Mohammed, widely known as M.B.S.

“By the simple fact that M.B.S. managed to hold onto his position domestically, he is the necessary interlocutor if you want to talk to Saudi Arabia,” said Cinzia Bianco, a visiting fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations.

Regardless of the trip’s outcome, the image of Mr. Biden meeting Prince Mohammed on his own turf will provide validation of the young royal’s position at the helm of one of the most important countries in the Middle East and provide a boost to his vision for the kingdom and its more forceful place in the world.

Mr. Biden’s critics say that is dangerous, demonstrating that wealth and oil remain paramount in great power politics and putting the lie to Mr. Biden’s vow to pursue a foreign policy based on human rights. How, they ask, will the United States discourage other autocrats from crushing their critics after overlooking Prince Mohammed’s abuses in the hope that he can bring down gas prices?

Scholars of the Middle East point out that the United States has a long history of doing business with autocrats, including every Saudi king, and that engagement could more effectively shape their behavior than ostracism.

Perhaps, they argue, a closer American relationship can cultivate the good and discourage the bad in how Prince Mohammed wields his tremendous wealth, power and ambition.

Prince Mohammed appeared to come out of nowhere seven years ago when his elderly father, King Salman, assumed the throne and began delegating power to his favorite son.

But Prince Mohammed showed that he was out for complete control and would do whatever it took to get it, including sidelining, locking up and draining the fortunes of his rivals within the royal family.

As he consolidated his power, he made it clear that he had big plans for Saudi Arabia: to shrug off the kingdom’s past as a somnolent oil monarchy, ruled according to a hyper-conservative interpretation of Islam, that pursued its interests quietly, usually by disbursing huge quantities of cash.

Instead, he wanted the kingdom to claim a position as a global player, known not just for oil and Islam, but for a dynamic, diversified economy that produced its own weapons, invented new technologies and attracted tourists to swim along its beaches and visit its historical sites.

That vision remains a work in progress.

Social changes have galloped ahead much faster than most Saudis expected. After Prince Mohammed deprived the once-feared religious police of the power to impose their version of moral austerity on people, women were granted the right to drive, restrictions on their dress were loosened, and a new government body tasked with building an entertainment industry hosted concerts, pro wrestling events and monster truck rallies.

Prince Mohammed faces an uphill battle in diversifying the Saudi economy away from its supreme dependence on oil. But high global prices caused by the war in Ukraine have left him flush, enabling the kingdom’s huge sovereign wealth fund to expand its investments abroad, including a new pro golf circuit.

Prince Mohammed’s critics accuse him of using such investments to distract from rights abuses at home and abroad. Despite a cease-fire that has temporarily reduced the level of violence, the kingdom remains bogged down in its war against Houthi rebels in Yemen, which has fueled one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.

Political repression within Saudi Arabia has expanded, with activists, critics and clerics detained, barred from traveling abroad and prosecuted on charges that human rights groups say have been frequently trumped up.

Efforts to stifle criticism have reached beyond the kingdom’s borders, most notably in the case of Mr. Khashoggi, who was killed and dismembered by a team of Saudi agents inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in 2018. An assessment by the Central Intelligence Agency concluded that Prince Mohammed had approved the operation. The prince has denied any foreknowledge of the plot.

When Mr. Biden entered the White House, the Khashoggi murder still loomed, and Prince Mohammed had every reason to brace for a stormy relationship — not least because the prince had been particularly chummy with President Donald J. Trump and Jared Kushner, his son-in-law and adviser.

Initially, Mr. Biden had little interest in the kingdom, wanting to reach a new agreement to limit Iran’s nuclear program and accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels, the Saudis’ primary commodity.

Mr. Biden was also hostile to Prince Mohammed, declining to back away from his “pariah” comment and refusing to speak with him, insisting that the president’s counterpart was the king.

The Saudis also had policy complaints.

They grimaced at the United States’ insistence on negotiating with Iran, fearing it would empower their regional nemesis. And they feared that the historical American commitment to Saudi security had waned, especially as the Houthis, enabled by Iran, accelerated drone and missile attacks on Saudi cities and oil facilities.

It smarted as well that Prince Mohammed seemed to get no credit for the kingdom’s social changes, nor for his own efforts to avert regional conflict, including starting talks with the Iranians in Baghdad.

The feeling of neglect grew after the invasion of Ukraine, when administration officials hoped the kingdom would join efforts to isolate President Vladimir Putin of Russia and increase oil production to ease prices.

Dennis Ross, who worked for a number of presidents and is a distinguished fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said the message he heard from a range of Saudis during a recent visit to the kingdom was: “Whenever the U.S. wants something from us, they don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and expect us to respond. But when we have a concern, we call and nobody answers.”

In an interview with The Atlantic in April, when asked if Mr. Biden misunderstood him, Prince Mohammed responded: “Simply, I do not care.”

He said neglecting Saudi Arabia would be bad for Mr. Biden and could be a boon for China, with which the kingdom has been building ties.

Recently, relations between the White House and Saudi Arabia were so strained that analysts described them with romance metaphors.

Mr. Ross compared the Saudis’ feelings to those of a “jilted lover” who wonders, “why do you treat us this way?”

“The U.S.-Saudi relationship, if it were a marriage, would be in deep need of counseling,” said Brian Katulis, vice president of policy at the Middle East Institute.

In an opinion article in The Washington Post about his Saudi trip, Mr. Biden did not mention Prince Mohammed by name (but did mention Mr. Khashoggi) and said his goal was to discuss energy, regional security and Iran with Arab leaders, including from Saudi Arabia.

For their part, the Saudis announced that Mr. Biden and Prince Mohammed would hold “official talks.” During them, Mr. Biden is likely to find an assertive leader who knows he has something the United States needs and wants to receive something in return.

This could include progress on a more formal security guarantee or cooperation in realms beyond oil, said Yasmine Farouk, a nonresident scholar at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

“The Saudis want to be treated as a U.S. partner, and today U.S. partners talk with the U.S. not just about security and oil but also about technology, climate and energy,” she said.

Even if the visit goes well, such cooperation takes time to develop. But for Prince Mohammed, she said, just getting Mr. Biden to Saudi Arabia amounted to “a triumph.”

chromebook test

Oct 11, 2022, 7:41:13 PM10/11/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia—Days before a major oil-production cut by OPEC and its Russia-led allies, U.S. officials called their counterparts in Saudi Arabia and other big Gulf producers with an urgent appeal—delay the decision for another month, according to people familiar with the talks. The answer: a resounding no.

U.S. officials warned Saudi leaders that a cut would be viewed as a clear choice by Riyadh to side with Russia in the Ukraine war and that the move would weaken already-waning support in Washington for the kingdom, the people said.

Saudi Arabia Defied U.S. Warnings Ahead of OPEC+ Production Cut
Summer Said Benoit Faucon Dion Nissenbaum Stephen Kalin Oct. 11, 2022
https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabia-defied-u-s-warnings-ahead-of-opec-production-cut-11665504230?mod=hp_lead_pos1

TAGS: Kill the petro dollar

chromebook test

Oct 25, 2022, 9:47:25 AM10/25/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

"One drastic option on the table: Saudi officials have said privately that the kingdom could sell the U.S. Treasury bonds it holds if Congress were to pass anti-OPEC legislation, according to people familiar with the matter. Saudi holdings of U.S. Treasurys increased to $119.2 billion in June from $114.7 billion in May, according to U.S. Treasury data. Saudi Arabia is the 16th largest holder of U.S. Treasurys, according to federal data."

“It’s hard to imagine either side saying ‘All right, let’s put this back together,’ ” said Mr. Cook of the Council on Foreign Relations.

U.S.-Saudi Relations Buckle
Summer Said Dion Nissenbaum Oct. 24, 2022
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-saudi-relations-biden-mbs-animosity-11666623661

chromebook test

Oct 25, 2022, 11:17:43 AM10/25/22
On Tuesday, October 25, 2022 at 9:47:25 AM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
> >

> > ◙ Background:
> >
> > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
> >
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
> >

> > ◙ 2017:
> >
> > Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> > https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
> >

> > ◙ 2018:
> >
> > Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
> >
> > 1. Install a Russian base
> > 2. Take oil to $200
> > 3. Kill the petro dollar
> > 4. Stop buying US weapons
> >
> > US will "stab its own economy to death"
> >
> > https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> > https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

> "One drastic option on the table: Saudi officials have said privately that the kingdom could sell the U.S. Treasury bonds it holds if Congress were to pass anti-OPEC legislation, according to people familiar with the matter. Saudi holdings of U.S. Treasurys increased to $119.2 billion in June from $114.7 billion in May, according to U.S. Treasury data. Saudi Arabia is the 16th largest holder of U.S. Treasurys, according to federal data."

The decision by Saudi-led OPEC+ to cut oil production—raising crude prices at a time of high inflation just before an American election and despite U.S. pleas to hold off—has cemented both leaders’ resolve to reconsider a strategic relationship that has underpinned the global economy and Middle East geopolitics for almost 80 years, with once-unthinkable retaliatory measures now on the table. The White House has said Mr. Biden wants to review whether the Saudi relationship is serving U.S. national security interests, on top of an administration reassessment last year. Saudi officials say it may now be time for them to reassess the U.S. relationship, too.

bruce bowser

Oct 30, 2022, 2:27:01 PM10/30/22
They're saying that OPEC (Houston area media) does all this.

chromebook test

Oct 30, 2022, 2:54:59 PM10/30/22
On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 2:27:01 PM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> They're saying that OPEC (Houston area media) does all this.

life imitating art
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/GIHxOv361xk/m/4X38ZSq6BgAJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQKhvweL2A

chromebook test

Nov 18, 2022, 6:30:15 PM11/18/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

What is the Petrodollar and Why Does It Matter

https://web.archive.org/web/20201220075137/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNr1LWgIyiE

chromebook test

Nov 18, 2022, 6:35:13 PM11/18/22
On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:30:15 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

> > ◙ Background:

> > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

“It’s really beyond ironic that President Biden has basically delivered an assurance of impunity for Mohammed bin Salman, which is the exact opposite of what he promised to do to hold the killers of Jamal Khashoggi accountable,” Whitson told CNN.

US determines Saudi Crown Prince is immune in case brought by Jamal Khashoggi’s fiancée
Alex Marquardt November 18, 2022
https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/politics/saudi-crown-prince-immunity-state-department-jamal-khashoggi
TAGS: #gawdbleshuhmerka!

chromebook test

Nov 25, 2022, 3:58:27 PM11/25/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Gold Miners Ordered to Sell 20% of Refined Bullion to Ghana
Ghana will buy gold from companies in domestic currency
Ekow Dontoh November 25, 2022
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-25/gold-miners-ordered-to-sell-20-of-refined-bullion-to-ghana

Ghana, Africa’s second-largest gold producer, ordered large mining companies to sell 20% of the metal they refine to the nation’s central bank, as the government embarks on a plan to barter bullion for fuel.

///

Ghana plans to buy oil with gold instead of U.S. dollars
November 24, 2022
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/ghana-working-plan-buy-oil-with-gold-rather-than-usd-vp-2022-11-24/

ACCRA, Nov 24 (Reuters) - Ghana's government is working on a new policy to buy oil products with gold rather than U.S. dollar reserves

chromebook test

Dec 9, 2022, 5:03:21 PM12/9/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:

> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

> ◙ Background:

> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

BEIJING, Dec 9 (Reuters) - China's President Xi Jinping said in Riyadh on Friday that China and Gulf nations should make full use of the Shanghai Petroleum and National Gas Exchange as a platform to carry out yuan settlement of oil and gas trade.

China and states of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) are natural partners for cooperation, Xi said in a speech at the China-GCC summit.

"China will continue to import large quantities of crude oil from GCC countries, expand imports of liquefied natural gas, strengthen cooperation in upstream oil and gas development, engineering services, storage, transportation and refining, and make full use of the Shanghai Petroleum and National Gas Exchange as a platform to carry out yuan settlement of oil and gas trade," he said.

China to use Shanghai exchange for yuan energy deals with Gulf nations - X
December 9, 2022
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/chinas-xi-tells-gulf-nations-use-shanghai-exchange-yuan-energy-deals-2022-12-09/
Message has been deleted

chromebook test

Dec 28, 2022, 9:39:09 AM12/28/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

War and Commodity Encumbrance
https://plus2.credit-suisse.com/shorturlpdf.html?v=5h1o-8SW-V&t=-6f9o9gxfcir9ldit6fbbldzzx

#ZoltanPozsar at #CS writes. His latest piece "War and Commodity Encumbrance" (Dec. 27th) was particularly worth reading. Here's a little #thread with the most important parts:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RonStoeferle/status/1608096284778397698

------------

archived in perpetuity:

https://docdro.id/WCMV1jy

chromebook test

Dec 28, 2022, 10:59:13 AM12/28/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/

"the “new paradigm” will not be funded with U.S. dollars: President Xi noted that “the Shanghai Petroleum and Natural Gas Exchange […] will be fully utilized for RMB settlement in oil and gas trade”
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1608096284778397698.html

chromebook test

Dec 28, 2022, 11:17:06 AM12/28/22
On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 10:59:13 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:

> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

> > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

> "the “new paradigm” will not be funded with U.S. dollars: President Xi noted that “the Shanghai Petroleum and Natural Gas Exchange […] will be fully utilized for RMB settlement in oil and gas trade”

"Xi communicated his message on “renminbi invoicing” not during the first day of his visit ...but during the second day of his visit – when he met the leadership of all the GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) (1) countries – to in part signal…GCC oil flowing East + renminbi invoicing = the dawn of the petroyuan."

1)
Gulf Cooperation Council
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Cooperation_Council

TAGS: petrodollar vs petroyuan, the real reason for the global conflict between the USA, China, and Russia, and why a biological bomb was dropped and 'undetected' by us intelligence during the 2019 wuhan world games with 300 us service members in attendance.

chromebook test

Dec 28, 2022, 3:33:44 PM12/28/22
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

BRICS to expand soon, Saudi Arabia keen to join
BRICS represents more than 40 percent of the global population and nearly a quarter of the world’s GDP and if it is expanded it will help in bolstering the BRICS bloc’s global influence.
Written by Huma Siddiqui October 27, 2022
https://www.financialexpress.com/defence/brics-to-expand-soon-saudi-arabia-keen-to-join/2737102/

Amidst the growing tension between the US and Saudi Arabia over the ongoing Ukraine-Russia war, the Gulf nation has conveyed its interest to join the BRICS Bloc. Last week, President Cyril Ramposa of South Africa during his visit to Riyadh announced that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman expressed the kingdom’s desire to join the BRICS. There are other countries like Turkey, Egypt among others who have expressed their interest to join the grouping, he told the media persons in that country.

The issue of expansion of the bloc of emerging economies will be on the agenda of the BRICS Summit scheduled to take place in South Africa under its presidency in 2023.

“The case of Saudi Arabia, however, is both curious and interesting. Saudi Arabia has traditionally been a close ally of the US in West Asia. But in the last few months, the relationship has undergone a roller-coaster ride. During his electoral campaign, President Biden projected Saudi Arabia as a pariah states due to Prince Salman’s alleged involvement in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post journalist. After coming to power, however, he changed his course and visited Saudi Arabia. This visit was intended to ensure the low price of oil to punish Russia,” opines Prof Rajan Kumar, School of International Studies, JNU.

As reported earlier, South American nation Argentina’s President Alberto Fernandez had asked Chinese President Xi Jinping about joining the group. Iran too has sent in its request to join. Both countries have already applied for the membership of the bloc earlier this year in June. The other countries including Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt are set to formally apply for the membership of BRICS.

BRICS represents more than 40 percent of the global population and nearly a quarter of the world’s GDP and if it is expanded it will help in bolstering the BRICS bloc’s global influence. At the BRICS summit this year, according to reports quoting Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian, many countries have expressed their interest to join the bloc of emerging markets. And stated that China actively supports the member countries to start the expansion process for BRICS Plus Cooperation. At the 14th summit this year the members talked about the procedure and the standards for the expansion.

Talks between South Africa & Saudi Arabia

The talks between the two countries took place amid the row between Riyadh and Washington over OPEC’s decision to cut production quotas by 2 million barrels a day.

According to reports, while accusing the longtime ally of being close to Russia during the Ukraine crisis, the US President Joe Biden had threatened Saudi Arabia with unspecified “consequences”. The lawmakers of the US have called for halting arms sales and/or withdrawing military support to Saudi Arabia.

Saudis have refused to toe Washington’s line

According to Prof Rajan, “In a recent development, the OPEC-Plus, which includes Saudi Arabia and Russia as key players, has decided to cut down the production of oil in order to maintain a high price in the international market. Washington sees it as defiance, and a clear attempt to benefit Russia. This has irked Washington and President Biden warned Saudi Arabia of consequences. What would be the consequences, and whether the US has the capability to punish Saudi Arabia in today’s world remains to be seen. The weakness of the American strategic influence is yet again exposed.”

“Against this backdrop, Saudi Arabia’s interests in joining BRICS could be an attempt to diversify its foreign policy.

-------------

BRICS vs. SWIFT
https://www.ceifx.com/news/brics-vs-swift-new-development-prompts-international-payment-alternatives

SWIFT Sanction on Russia
https://econofact.org/swift-sanction-on-russia-how-it-works-and-likely-impacts

chromebook test

Jan 4, 2023, 1:00:56 PM1/4/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

A new world energy order is taking shape
Global oil trade is de-dollarising slowly but surely
RANA FOROOHAR 2023-01-03
https://www.ft.com/content/d34dfd79-113c-4ac7-814b-a41086c922fa

On Valentine’s Day in 1945, US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt met Saudi King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud on the American cruiser USS Quincy. It was the beginning of one of the most important geopolitical alliances of the past 70 years, in which US security in the Middle East was bartered for oil pegged in dollars.

But times change, and 2023 may be remembered as the year that this grand bargain began to shift, as a new world energy order between China and the Middle East took shape.

While China has for some time been buying increasing amounts of oil and liquefied natural gas from Iran, Venezuela, Russia and parts of Africa in its own currency, President Xi Jinping’s meeting with Saudi and Gulf Co-operation Council leaders in December marked “the birth of the petroyuan”, as Credit Suisse analyst Zoltan Pozsar put it in a note to clients.

According to Pozsar, “China wants to rewrite the rules of the global energy market”, as part of a larger effort to de-dollarise the so-called Bric countries of Brazil, Russia, India and China, and many other parts of the world after the weaponisation of dollar foreign exchange reserves following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

What does that mean in practice? For starters, a lot more oil trade will be done in renminbi. Xi announced that, over the next three to five years, China would not only dramatically increase imports from GCC countries, but work towards “all-dimensional energy co-operation”. This could potentially involve joint exploration and production in places such as the South China Sea, as well as investments in refineries, chemicals and plastics. Beijing’s hope is that all of it will be paid for in renminbi, on the Shanghai Petroleum and Natural Gas Exchange, as early as 2025.

That would mark a massive shift in the global energy trade. As Pozsar points out, Russia, Iran and Venezuela account for 40 per cent of Opec+ proven oil reserves, and all of them are selling oil to China at a steep discount while the GCC countries account for another 40 per cent of proven reserves. The remaining 20 per cent are in regions within the Russian and Chinese orbit.

Those who doubt the rise of the petroyuan, and the diminution of the dollar-based financial system in general, often point out that China doesn’t enjoy the same level of global trust, rule of law or reserve currency liquidity that the US does, making other countries unlikely to want to do business in renminbi.

Perhaps, although the oil marketplace is dominated by countries that have more in common with China (at least in terms of their political economies) than with the US. What’s more, the Chinese have offered up something of a financial safety-net by making the renminbi convertible to gold on the Shanghai and Hong Kong gold exchanges.

While this doesn’t make the renminbi a substitute for the dollar as a reserve currency, the petroyuan trade nonetheless comes with important economic and financial implications for policymakers and investors.

For one thing, the prospect of cheap energy is already luring western industrial businesses to China. Consider the recent move of Germany’s BASF to downsize its main plant in Ludwigshafen and shift chemical operations to Zhanjiang. This could be the beginning of what Pozsar calls a “farm to table” trend in which China tries to capture more value-added production locally, using cheap energy as a lure. (A number of European manufacturers have also increased jobs in the US because of lower energy costs there.)

Petropolitics come with financial risks as well as upsides. It’s worth remembering that the recycling of petrodollars by oil-rich nations into emerging markets such as Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Zaire, Turkey and others by US commercial banks from the late 1970s onwards led to several emerging market debt crises. Petrodollars also accelerated the creation of a more speculative, debt-fuelled economy in the US, as banks flush with cash created all sorts of new financial “innovations”, and an influx of foreign capital allowed the US to maintain a larger deficit.

That trend may now start to go into reverse. Already, there are fewer foreign buyers for US Treasuries. If the petroyuan takes off, it would feed the fire of de-dollarisation. China’s control of more energy reserves and the products that spring from them could be an important new contributor to inflation in the west. It’s a slow-burn problem, but perhaps not as slow as some market participants think.

What should policymakers and business leaders do? If I were chief executive of a multinational company, I’d be looking to regionalise and localise as much production as possible to hedge against a multipolar energy market. I’d also do more vertical integration to offset increased inflation in supply chains.

If I were a US policymaker, I’d think about ways to increase North American shale production over the short to medium term (and offer Europeans a discount for it), while also speeding up the green transition. That’s yet another reason why Europeans shouldn’t be complaining about the Inflation Reduction Act, which subsidises clean energy production in the US. The rise of the petroyuan should be an incentive for both the US and Europe to move away from fossil fuels as quickly as they can.

rana.f...@ft.com

This article has been amended to clarify that Zoltan Pozsar was referring to Opec+ proven oil reserves

chromebook test

Jan 16, 2023, 5:34:49 PM1/16/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Asked about Saudi Arabia’s ability to facilitate dialogue between adversarial powers like the U.S. and China, al-Jadaan said: “I would say absolutely yes. We have a very strategic relationship with the U.S., and we have a close relationship with China, and we think we can bridge the gap.”

The Saudi kingdom and the United States have a relationship that dates back to the 1930s, and which has been summed up in broad terms as one of oil in exchange for security.

Saudi Arabia can ‘bridge the gap’ between the U.S. and China, finance minister says
JAN 16 2023 Natasha Turak
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/16/saudi-arabia-can-bridge-the-gap-between-the-us-and-china-finance-minister-says-.html

chromebook test

Jan 20, 2023, 12:55:03 PM1/20/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

the pace of de-dollarisation appears to have picked up. Over the past year, China and India have been paying for Russian commodities in renminbi, rupees and UAE dirhams
https://twitter.com/LukeGromen/status/1616422777040297985

Great power conflict puts the dollar’s exorbitant privilege under threat
The monetary order is already being challenged by de-dollarisation efforts and central bank digital currencies
ZOLTAN POZSAR 2023-01-20
https://www.ft.com/content/3e05b491-d781-4865-b0f7-777bc95ebf71

The writer is the global head of short-term interest rate strategy at Credit Suisse

Since the end of the cold war, the world has largely enjoyed a unipolar era — the US was the undisputed hegemon, globalisation was the economic order and the dollar was the currency of choice. But today, geopolitics once again poses a formidable set of challenges to the existing world order. That means investors have to discount new risks.

China is proactively writing a fresh set of rules as it replays the Great Game, creating a new type of globalisation through institutions such as the Belt and Road Initiative, the Brics+ group of emerging economies and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, a collective security alliance of eight countries.

While under lockdown, Beijing forged a special relationship with Moscow and Tehran. This relationship with Russia, with the unwitting assistance of global warming, is helping extend China’s BRI through Arctic shipping lanes. And late last year, we saw the very first summit between China and the Gulf Cooperation Council and hence a deepening of China’s ties with Opec+. All of this may eventually lead to “one world, two systems”.

If we are drifting from a unipolar world to this multipolar one, and if the G20 fractures into the camps of the G7 plus Australia, Brics+ and the non-aligned, it’s impossible that these rifts will not affect the international monetary system. Growing macroeconomic imbalances in the US further add to these risks.

The dollar-based monetary order is already being challenged in multiple ways, but two in particular stand out: the spread of de-dollarisation efforts and central bank digital currencies (CBDCs).

De-dollarisation is not a new theme. It started with the launch of quantitative easing in the wake of the financial crisis, as current account surplus countries frowned at the idea of negative real returns on their savings. But recently, the pace of de-dollarisation appears to have picked up.

Over the past year, China and India have been paying for Russian commodities in renminbi, rupees and UAE dirhams. India has launched a rupee settlement mechanism for its international transaction while China asked GCC countries to make full use of the Shanghai Petroleum and Natural Gas Exchange for the renminbi settlement of oil and gas trades over the next three to five years. With the expansion of Brics to beyond Brazil, Russia, India and China, the de-dollarisation of trade flows may proliferate.

CBDCs could accelerate this transition. China has changed the strategy through which it internationalises the renminbi. Given that financial sanctions are implemented through the balance sheets of western banks, and that these institutions form the backbone of the correspondent banking system that underpins the dollar, using the same network to internationalise the renminbi may have come with risks. To get around this, a new network was needed.

Around the world but particularly in the global east and south, CBDCs are spreading like fast-growing kudzu vines with more than half of the world’s central banks exploring or developing digital currencies with pilots or research, according to the IMF. They will be increasingly interlinked. Central banks interlinked through CBDCs essentially recreate the network of correspondent banks that the US dollar system runs on — instead of correspondent banks, think more of correspondent central banks. The emerging, CBDC-based network — enforced with bilateral currency swap lines — could enable central banks in the global east and south to serve as foreign exchange dealers to intermediate currency flows between local banking systems, all without referencing the dollar or touching the western banking system.

Change is already afoot. The current account surpluses of China, Russia and Saudi Arabia are at a record. Yet these surpluses are largely not being recycled into traditional reserve assets like Treasuries, which offer negative real returns at current inflation rates. Instead we have seen more demand for gold (see China’s recent purchases), commodities (see Saudi Arabia’s planned investments in mining interests) and geopolitical investments such as funding the BRI and helping allies and neighbours in need, like Turkey, Egypt or Pakistan. Leftover surpluses are held increasingly in bank deposits in liquid form to retain much-needed options in a changing world.

In finance, everything is about marginal flows. These matter the most for the largest marginal borrower — the US Treasury. If less trade is invoiced in US dollars and there is a dwindling recycling of dollar surpluses into traditional reserve assets such as Treasuries, the “exorbitant privilege” that the dollar holds as the international reserve currency could be under assault.

-----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6XFfKC-sDo

chromebook test

Jan 22, 2023, 12:56:36 PM1/22/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

One belt, one road
17/07/2015 by Gen. Qiao Liang
https://www.limesonline.com/en/one-belt-one-road

This document, which general Qiao Liang has allowed us to publish, was delivered at the University of Defense, China’s top military school, where the general is in charge of the education curriculum for the officers. The speech therefore must have the endorsement of the leaders of the school and ultimately also of the president of the Military Commission, Mr. Xi Jinping.

The document casts a light on China’s new strategic thinking. Beijing’s biggest challenge is not geopolitical but economic. This derives from a cold and cruel analysis of US behavior since 1944, the time of the Bretton Woods agreement, and more importantly since 1971, with the dollar decoupling from gold, and 1973 with the US imposing the use of the petro-dollar. Qiao Liang argues that the US goal in all these years was not just geopolitical; it was to accrue profits, and the US found a way, after the disastrously costly wars with North Korea and especially Vietnam, to make a profit out of regional crisis, with or without war. The general finds a dollar cycle of about 16 years: for 10 the US currency is weak, for 6 it is strong. The beginning of the strong dollar corresponds with a regional crisis that crashes a regional economy.

However, the US failed in its latest attempt to create a regional crisis around China in 2012 because Beijing didn’t fall for the US trap and get drawn into conflict with Japan or the Philippines over the Senkaku or the Scarborough Shoals. Qiao Liang is confident that China will not fall for a regional crisis and believes that new dramatic changes are ahead of us. The new bit money, which could well grow to dominate world finance, is challenging old transaction processes, and 3D printing may dramatically change production methods. These changes create a situation totally new for everybody and here Qiao Liang says the US should collaborate with other countries.

Therefore, according to this dispassionate analysis, China not only doesn’t see the necessity to fight a war but believes that a war directly or indirectly against America would be against Chinese national interests. It thinks that Washington will not fight Beijing for the next ten years, but to make sure that in ten years the US doesn’t change its mind, China must set its affairs in order and internationalize its currency, the RMB. This broad strategic vision also provides a deep justification for the ongoing anti-corruption campaign. China must hurry to overhaul its economy to face the risks of the next decade. If it doesn’t do it now, in a decade it could well be doomed.

This analysis then leaves ample room for collaboration with the US on the future risks that both face. In this analysis, China is confident, assured, and has a clear direction. Economists may agree or disagree with the analysis of the dollar cycles, but what is most important is that this analysis changes the playing field for the Chinese military: shooting weapons becomes not as important as understanding and managing finance. This should also help American military and strategists to better understand Chinese thinking.

(by Francesco SIsci)

----------------

tags: first we take Moscow then we take Beijing

chromebook test

Feb 23, 2023, 11:18:51 AM2/23/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Iraq to allow trade with China in yuan - state media
Reuters February 22, 2023
https://www.reuters.com/business/iraq-allow-trade-with-china-yuan-state-media-2023-02-22/

Chinese yuan banknotes are seen in this illustration picture taken April 25, 2022. REUTERS/Florence Lo/Illustration
DUBAI, Feb 22 (Reuters) - Iraq's central bank said on Wednesday it planned to allow trade from China to be settled directly in yuan for the first time, in an attempt to improve access to foreign currency.

The central bank has been taking urgent steps to compensate for a dollar shortage in local markets, which prompted the cabinet to approve a currency revaluation earlier this month.

"It is the first time imports would be financed from China in yuan, as Iraqi imports from China have been financed in (U.S.) dollars only," the government's economic adviser, Mudhir Salih, told Reuters on Wednesday.

The move is the latest sign of the yuan's growing role on the international stage as China gradually opens up its financial markets and some countries look to diversify their currency exposures.

chromebook test

Mar 21, 2023, 2:48:28 PM3/21/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Russia ready to switch to yuan in foreign trade – Putin
https://www.rt.com/business/573382-russia-yuan-foreign-trade-putin/

Russia is ready to increase settlements in yuan in its foreign trade, President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday during talks with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping, who is in Moscow on a three-day official visit.

“We are for the use of Chinese yuan in settlements between Russia and the countries of Asia, Africa, and Latin America. I am sure that these forms of settlements in yuan will be developed between Russian partners and their counterparts in third countries,” Putin said.

Two thirds of current trade between Moscow and Beijing is carried out in national currencies – the yuan and the ruble, the Russian president noted.

China’s trade with Russia hit a record high in 2022, growing by nearly a third amid Western sanctions against Moscow. Bilateral trade is on pace to hit over $200 billion this year.

The latest data from the Bank of Russia shows the yuan has become a major player in Russia’s foreign trade, with its share in the country’s import settlements jumping to 23% by the end of last year from only 4% in January 2022. The yuan’s share in export settlements also surged, from 0.5% to 16%.

“It is important that national currencies are increasingly used in mutual trade. This practice should be further encouraged, and the mutual presence of financial and banking structures in the markets of our countries should be expanded,” Putin added.

Meanwhile, the share of the US dollar and euro in Russia’s export settlements last year dropped substantially, from 65% in January 2022 to 46% in December.

In February, the Chinese currency overtook the dollar as the most traded currency on the Russian stock market for the first time ever, according to data from the Moscow Exchange.

chromebook test

Mar 26, 2023, 3:50:21 PM3/26/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

> ◙ Background:

> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

Central Banks Shed Most US Debt Since 2014 as Dollar Needs Jump
Alex Harris, Libby Cherry and Greg Ritchie March 24, 2023
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-24/fed-foreign-central-bank-facility-gets-tapped-for-60-billion#xj4y7vzkg

Foreign holdings of Treasuries fell by $76 billion in a week

Usage of Fed’s foreign repo facility soared to $60 billion

Foreign central banks liquidated Treasury holdings at the fastest clip in nine years and tapped a key Federal Reserve facility to raise cash as banking stress roils markets.

Fed data show foreign official holdings of Treasury securities fell by $76 billion in the week through March 22 to $2.86 trillion. That’s the largest weekly decline since March 2014.

At the same time, the US central bank’s recently-established Foreign and International Monetary Authorities, or FIMA, repurchase agreement facility was tapped for a record $60 billion, data show, dwarfing the $1.4 billion peak reached during the height of the pandemic.

The latest surge in dollar demand came as concerns about the fragility of the banking sector spread from the US to Europe, culminating in the takeover of beleaguered Swiss lender Credit Suisse Group. The dash for dollars all happened before the focus pivoted to Deutsche Bank Friday. The German bank’s shares slumped, on track to close at a five-month low, while the cost of insuring its bonds against default rose.

“Our sense, given dollar funding rates, is that the borrowing was precautionary,” Barclays strategist Joseph Abate said of the surge in use of the Fed’s FIMA program.

The facility was established in March 2020 and is designed to help ease any pressures in global dollar funding markets. It allows foreign central banks to post their US Treasury holdings as collateral in exchange for dollar liquidity, which is often in high demand during times of stress. The rate was 4.75 per cent at the time of the operations, before the Fed raised borrowing costs by another quarter-point this week.

The weekly average level of usage as of Wednesday was $33 billion, which suggests an institution made multiple trips to the FIMA facility, according to Barclays.

“The central bank wanted to build a war chest of available dollars in case the banking crisis deteriorated but did not want to fire sell its Treasuries,” Abate wrote in a note to clients.

Of the $136 billion of cash raised from the Treasury sales and repo borrowing very little made its way directly back onto the Fed’s balance sheet or the broader custody program. Balances at the foreign reverse repo pool only rose by $3 billion through March 22, and the Fed’s custody holdings of agency securities, which includes mortgage-backed securities “- only increased by $7 billion. This suggests a majority of the cash raised by central banks may have gone into private markets, according to Wrightson ICAP.

“Someone, somewhere, needs dollar funding,” said Antoine Bouvet, senior rates strategist at ING Bank. It’s “not a huge worry at this stage given the cross-currency bases and also low take-up in dollar FX lines.”

Major central banks tapped swap lines with their US counterpart for just $590.5 million in the past week even after officials moved to make the facilities available daily in light of global banking concerns. In the US, banks reduced their borrowings only slightly from two Fed backstop facilities in the most recent week, a sign that institutions are taking advantage of the central bank’s liquidity in the wake of turmoil.

Funding markets had been showing signs of stress, though pressures have subsided with the take-up of emergency measures.

That included swings in Treasury-bill rates and moderate dislocations in the instruments where banks and others ordinarily go for their short-term money. Repurchase agreement rates were elevated for a number of days, cross-currency basis swaps have whipsawed and the gap between direct floating-rate agreements and index-tied ones “- often used as a measure of the difficulty banks have in getting access to funds “- also swelled.

Still, there’s concerns as to whether deposits will continue fleeing banks for other places in the financial system. US money market funds have been scooping up cash recently, fueled in large part by depositors pulling their money away from US banks.

chromebook test

Mar 27, 2023, 8:42:16 AM3/27/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

Fareed Zakaria
@FareedZakaria
If the US dollar's global supremacy erodes, America will face a reckoning like none before.

My take:
2:30 PM · Mar 26, 2023

https://twitter.com/FareedZakaria/status/1640058728752840707

chromebook test

Mar 27, 2023, 9:21:30 PM3/27/23
On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:30:15 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

> > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

Probably nothing 🤷🏻‍♀️
10:26 PM · Mar 26, 2023
https://twitter.com/HumbleBitcoiner/status/1640178410746966016

chromebook test

Mar 29, 2023, 1:51:24 PM3/29/23
On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 9:21:30 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 6:30:15 PM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> > On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbluemime CAN"T KEEP A GOOD MIME DOWN wrote:
> > > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar

> > > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.

> > What is the Petrodollar and Why Does It Matter
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20201220075137/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNr1LWgIyiE

> Probably nothing 🤷🏻‍♀️
> 10:26 PM · Mar 26, 2023
> https://twitter.com/HumbleBitcoiner/status/1640178410746966016

The Saudi Council of Ministers has officially approved the proposal to join Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO). 🇸🇦 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 🇮🇳
8:27 PM · Mar 28, 2023
https://twitter.com/EbrahimHashem/status/1640873268768026624

UPDATE 1-Russian c.bank: Yuan reserve assets held in China, mostly as govt securities
By Reuters Staff MARCH 29, 2023
https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N3611TU

MOSCOW, March 29 (Reuters) - Russia’s central bank said on Wednesday it stores gold and cash foreign currency reserves inside Russia, while its yuan assets are held in China, mainly in the form of government securities.

In Russia, where the dollar was king for years following the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, the yuan has become a major player, with its share in Russia’s import settlements jumping to 23% from 4% last year.

In an annual report, the central bank said it had been accelerating investments in assets that cannot be blocked by states it calls “unfriendly” - those that have imposed sanctions against Russia - since 2014.

chromebook test

Apr 3, 2023, 5:08:20 PM4/3/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

Marco Rubio Accidentally Makes A Great Argument Against US Dollar Hegemony
Caitlin Johnstone Apr 3, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fxfp17T4UM

“Just today, Brazil, the largest country in the Western Hemisphere, cut a trade deal with China," said Rubio. "They're going to, from now on, do trade in their own currencies, get right around the dollar. They're creating a secondary economy in the world totally independent of the United States. We won't have to talk about sanctions in five years, because there'll be so many countries transacting in currencies other than the dollar that we won't have the ability to sanction them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOJ6reIiKq4

chromebook test

Apr 5, 2023, 7:07:04 PM4/5/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"

1. China is now a more important partner than the US for Saudi Arabia's development. Chinese exports of metals, machinery, and transport equipment have crowded out US exports. Once Saudis start using Chinese cars (and planes?), there will be little market share left for the US.
3:37 PM · Apr 5, 2023
https://twitter.com/yarbatman/status/1643699332418359297

2. The flip side of this is that China imports significant quantities of Saudi oil. The US no longer does.
But given the new composition of Saudi trade, when there is an output cut, the higher oil price will hurt the US more than China.

3. As @michaelxpettis explains, the higher oil revenues, if invested in projects like NEOM, can boost Saudi demand for capital goods.
It seems the Saudi-China economic partnership has the potential to be much deeper than the historic Saudi-US partnership.

Saudi Arabia’s Oil Production Cuts Reflect Cost of Reshaping Economy
Summer Said Stephen Kalin April 3, 2023
https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arabias-oil-production-cuts-reflect-cost-of-reshaping-economy-7fb6e09c?st=e1080vjvr5ooq7w

tags: S Y R I A N A , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQKhvweL2A

chromebook test

Apr 5, 2023, 7:43:46 PM4/5/23
On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 7:07:04 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
> >

> > ◙ Background:
> >
> > The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
> >
> > https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

> Saudi Arabia’s Oil Production Cuts Reflect Cost of Reshaping Economy

DUBAI—An oil production cut by Saudi Arabia and its allies demonstrated how Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is willing to set aside U.S. concerns to pursue a nationalist energy policy aimed at funding an expensive makeover of his kingdom.

> tags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQKhvweL2A

chromebook test

Apr 6, 2023, 4:29:01 PM4/6/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

This has become a threat to national security: Economics analyst Luke Gromen
Apr 5, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9iyu56Lcc

tags: tucker carlson

----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnW0oi7iPQ4

chromebook test

Apr 11, 2023, 10:59:19 AM4/11/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Welcome to a new era of petrodollar power
What are the hundreds of billions of oil riches being spent on?
Apr 9th 2023
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2023/04/09/welcome-to-a-new-era-of-petrodollar-power
https://archive.is/QQPBG

“America would offer military aid and buy oil from Saudi Arabia and friends, in exchange for which they would plug Uncle Sam’s gaping current-account deficit with petrodollars… the deal is crumbling”

In the past the majority of this would have gone straight into central banks’ foreign-exchange reserves. Most members of the gcc peg their currencies to the dollar, so they must set aside or invest hard currency during booms. This time, however, central-bank reserves seem to be hardly growing.

tags: syriana, cia, MBS, vision2030

chromebook test

Apr 18, 2023, 2:21:01 PM4/18/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

The dollar's dominance as a reserve currency eroded last year at 10 times the pace seen in the past 2 decades
Phil Rosen Apr 17, 2023
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/currencies/dollar-dominance-global-reserves-china-euro-russia-ukraine-war-greenback-2023-4

The dollar's standing as a reserve currency of choice saw a steep decline in 2022 even though its strength in international trade remains unchallenged, according to Eurizon SLJ Asset Management.

In a Monday note, strategists Joana Freire and Stephen Jen calculated that the greenback accounted for about two-thirds of total global reserves in 2003, then 55% by 2021, and 47% last year.

"This 8% decline in one year is exceptional, equivalent to 10 times the average annual pace of erosion in the USD's market share in the prior years," the authors said.

The drop-off in the dollar's standing as a reserve currency accelerated since the start of the war in Ukraine in particular.

"Exceptional actions" — namely sanctions taken by the US and its allies against Moscow — made many nations less willing to hold on to the dollar, the report said.

After Russia invaded Ukraine last year, Western nations largely cut off Russia from the world financial system and froze its currency reserves, forcing the Kremlin to rely more on the yuan.

Meanwhile, the euro's share as a reserve currency jumped by about 5%, Eurizon said, bringing its standing to the same level it hit in 2003 and effectively erasing two decades of losses.

China's yuan, meanwhile, continued to gain at its usual pace and didn't see a big spike as a global reserve currency last year.

To be sure, no other currency is set up to challenge the dollar's dominance in international trade. It's still the main conduit for country-to-country transactions, Eurizon said.

Citing data from the Bank for International Settlements' Triennial Foreign Exchange Surveys, the dollar commanded 85% of all currency turnover in 2010, compared to its 88% market share in 2022, the note said.

"We believe the erosion of the dollar's reserve currency status has accelerated in recent years at an alarming pace, especially since the start of the Ukraine War, while the dollar will likely continue to enjoy dominance as an international currency for a while longer," it added.

Meanwhile, Fitch Solutions said the dollar's dominance will erode over time but there won't be a "paradigm shift," given that there's no viable alternative currency for international trade.

chromebook test

Apr 19, 2023, 2:23:22 PM4/19/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Is Saudi Arabia Selling Oil to China for Gold?

“De-dollarising could be done by using the renminbi as a trade currency and converting yuan revenue into gold on the Shanghai International Gold Exchange.”

Is Saudi Arabia Selling Oil to China for Gold?
Rumors are making rounds that Saudi Arabia is selling oil for yuan, which it converts into gold on the Shanghai International Gold Exchange (SGEI).
2:01 PM · Apr 18, 2023

https://twitter.com/JanGold_/status/1648386381016645635

chromebook test

Apr 26, 2023, 8:11:18 PM4/26/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

April 26, 20234:17 PM EDTLast Updated 3 hours ago
Argentina to pay for Chinese imports in yuan rather than dollars
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/argentina-govt-pay-chinese-imports-yuan-rather-than-dollars-2023-04-26/

April 26, 20237:13 AM EDTLast Updated 13 hours ago
Yuan overtakes dollar to become most-used currency in China's cross-border transactions
https://www.reuters.com/markets/currencies/yuan-overtakes-dollar-become-most-used-currency-chinas-cross-border-transactions-2023-04-26/

tags: hegemony acrimony

chromebook test

May 3, 2023, 10:17:03 AM5/3/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

De-dollarization: Not a matter of if, but when
US hegemony is losing its grip, as friend and foe seek currency alternatives amid global sanctions and new Global South alliances.
MAY 3, 2023 Frank Giustra
https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2023/05/03/de-dollarization-not-a-matter-of-if-but-when/

The United States may have a powerful military, but its true strength lies in the value and status of its currency.

With the U.S. dollar seen and accepted as the world reserve currency, America has the privilege to control the global financial system, run federal deficits without having to worry about consequences, and literally print trillions of dollars out of thin air.

This unique advantage also allows the U.S. to keep interest on its accumulated debt low and provide its citizens a standard of living that would not otherwise be possible. But how long will it last?

Since the end of World War II, the U.S. has held what is often referred to as an “exorbitant privilege” over the global economy. From the destruction of the war came America’s rise and, with it, the acquisition of most of the world’s gold reserves and half the world’s GDP. Its wealth gave the U.S. the power to dictate the terms of the Bretton Woods Agreement between 44 countries.

This agreement stipulated that the dollar would be pegged to gold, while all other countries’ currencies would be pegged to the dollar. The essence of it was that the dollar was as good as gold, backed by its reserves. Countries could rest assured that they could at any time exchange their dollars for physical gold.

For a few decades, the agreement worked well. But the U.S. began running large deficits during Lyndon Johnson’s “Guns or Butter” policy of the late 1960’s, which led certain European countries, particularly France, to begin to exchange their dollars for gold. In 1971, concerned that its gold reserves were being depleted, the Nixon administration made a unilateral decision to temporarily close its gold window, turning the dollar into a fiat currency.

This marked the end of Bretton Woods and ushered in an era of floating exchange rates that still exists today.

The U.S. avoided the economic hardship of essentially devaluing its currency by implementing the ingenious plan of creating the petrodollar. This simple but far-reaching idea had significant financial and geopolitical consequences. In essence, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia entered into an agreement whereby the Saudis agreed to exclusively sell their oil in dollars and invest those dollars in U.S. treasury bills. In return, America provided the Saudis a security guarantee.

Oil is the most widely traded commodity in the world, and by pricing it in dollars, there was an ensured global demand for American currency.

Needless to say, the Europeans were not pleased with America’s broken promise. To fight back, some European nations began discussing the possibility of returning to a gold standard which excluded the U.S. dollar.

The U.S. administration became aware of the European plan and, according to the minutes of the 1974 meeting between Henry Kissinger and Assistant Secretary Thomas Enders, it was made clear that this would not be allowed to proceed. The highlights of that meeting were unambiguous to say the least. Collectively, European countries had more gold than the U.S. If they joined forces, they could set the price of gold at a higher level, thus creating additional reserves and credit. In Kissinger’s words, they would be able to create a “money printing machine”.

The minutes also clearly stated that such a move would be detrimental to America’s interests and that, if Europe tried it, America would “squash” them. Ultimately, for the plan to succeed Germany would have had to cooperate. But with the Soviet Union looming on its doorstep, it was in no position to cross the U.S.

America’s strong dollar policy was successful for the ensuing decades. But by the late 1990s, two important seeds began to grow: China’s economy and America’s profligacy. By the early 2000s, America had transformed from once being the world’s largest creditor to becoming its largest debtor nation and the Federal Reserve began a reckless monetary policy which has lasted for the last two decades.

Following the 2008 financial crisis, China complained about how the U.S. was devaluing the dollar through its large accumulation of debt and excessive printing of money and began to voice its desire to introduce a new global financial system. With the notable exception of countries subject to U.S. sanctions (e.g., Russia, Venezuela, Iran, and North Korea), the idea of a new monetary system was met with indifference. The concept of anything superseding the dollar was considered unthinkable by most of the developed world as verging on heresy by America.

That is, until recently.

When Russia invaded Ukraine, everything changed. The U.S. and NATO countries (the West) not only imposed sanctions on Russia, but they also froze its U.S. dollar reserves and blocked it from the SWIFT dollar transfer system.

Seeing an opportunity, China took notice and encouraged much of the world to follow suit. The race began to find alternatives. While the West was right to confront Russia for its unprovoked aggression, they underestimated the global response to these sanctions.

The BRICS countries and much of the global south have been reluctant to sever ties with Russia for a variety of reasons — from needing their oil, food, fertilizer, and military equipment, to taking advantage of the Wagner Group to counter domestic anti-insurgency efforts.

Additionally, many in the global south have harbored long-held resentments towards the West’s rhetorical “rules-based world order,” which they see as hypocritical and self-serving. The freezing of Russia’s dollar reserves and exclusion from the SWIFT system also put countries on notice that they might be next.

Financial systems are built on trust and, if they are weaponized, they lose the trust necessary to retain their dominance.

As such, in just over a 12-month period, countries around the world mustered the courage to begin openly discussing the creation of alternative methods to conduct trade and settlement, as well as reducing their dollar reserves. The trade and settlement role of the dollar is where most of exiting will occur and where the demand for the dollar will fall away more precipitously.

Furthermore, BRICS countries have attracted numerous new member applications over the past year, with Egypt, Turkey, Algeria, and most recently Saudi Arabia showing interest and making declarations about creating a BRICS currency to compete with the dollar.

Many of these countries have been aggressively adding to their gold reserves over the past 13 years, and the size of their purchases has been accelerating, suggesting that perhaps any new currency might be backed by gold. Brazil (which has become increasingly vocal about its displeasure with the U.S. dollar system) and Argentina have started promoting the idea of creating a South American trading block and currency, the sur, similar to the European Union and euro.

The laundry list of dollar alternatives is long and growing daily. Examples include China testing cross-border digital currency settlements with Thailand and the UAE, insisting that sanctioned countries such as Russia, Iran and Venezuela accept yuan as payment for oil. Saudi Arabia is considering doing the same (there are rumors that Saudi is already selling oil for yuan and converting those yuan for gold on the Shanghai exchange). India is also buying some of its Russian oil in UAE dirhams. The simplest method, which is becoming increasingly popular, is simple bi-lateral agreements using local currencies.

The critical unanswered question is how the U.S. will respond to moves to de-dollarize. Any sudden decrease in U.S. dollar demand could have disastrous consequences for Americans. It could potentially trigger a U.S. dollar crisis leading to very high inflation, or even hyperinflation, and initiate a debt and money printing cycle that could tear apart the social fabric of society.

In short, any U.S. administration would ultimately consider any such de-dollarization moves to be matters of national security.

Much of the global community is cheering, however. A lot of sovereign debt held by the global south is denominated in greenbacks, and an overpriced dollar makes debt service nearly impossible today. Additionally, because most commodities are priced in dollars, many less developed countries are importing inflation that would otherwise accrue to the U.S.

That being said, BRICS nations should consider what America’s reaction to sudden shifts away from the dollar might be. History has demonstrated that it is exceptionally rare for a transfer of global economic power to take place without major warfare.

Despite America’s likely opposition, de-dollarization will persist, as most of the non-Western world wants a trading system that does not make them vulnerable to dollar weaponization or hegemony. It’s no longer a question of if, but when.

To break away from this hazardous trajectory, credible and inclusive dialogue regarding a new global agreement should commence now, in which major economies consent to a new monetary system (perhaps backed by gold and/or commodities) by consensus, including the U.S. This would inevitably involve substantial discomfort for the U.S., possibly to such an extent that it is politically unpalatable.

The best we can hope for is a process that facilitates the gradual decrease in dollar demand over a lengthy period of time, allowing the U.S. and other countries to adjust accordingly. A multipolar monetary system might provide a more equitable playing field to poorer countries and just maybe give the U.S. and the world longer-term economic and political stability. The likely outcome of this would still be quite chaotic and involve a drop in the standard of living for Americans. Nevertheless, this path appears inevitable, and such an option is preferable to the inevitable turmoil of the more extreme scenarios we have seen throughout history.

chromebook test

Jun 2, 2023, 2:25:08 PM6/2/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Saudi Arabia is snapping up millions of barrels of Russian diesel that Europe no longer allows, while simultaneously sending its own supplies back to buyers in the EU.

The kingdom imported 174,000 barrels a day of the diesel and gas and oil from Russia in April and even more so far this month, data compiled by Bloomberg from analytics firm Kpler show. Simultaneously, it became Europe’s top supplier, leapfrogging Russia since February.

The Middle East country is not sending the same Russian fuel back to Europe as it’s importing, which would be in breach of European Union sanctions. Work at refineries was responsible for imports rising, a person familiar with the matter said. The extra exported fuels, which came from different parts of the country, were made to different specifications and often subject to long-term supply commitments, the person said.

The trade flows are just one example of how the oil market has so far absorbed aggressive western sanctions — and a price cap — on Russian petroleum sales, allowing the country’s crude and fuels to keep flowing in large volumes.

Saudi Arabia Snaps Up Russian Diesel and Sends Its Own to Europe
Prejula Prem May 25, 2023
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-25/saudi-arabia-snaps-up-russian-diesel-and-sends-its-own-to-europe

tags: https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/VAESYLQEMUI63C7LFNHEQGYVAA.jpg
tags2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSLcMkoTzU

chromebook test

Jun 9, 2023, 11:54:14 AM6/9/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

"...in private, MBS threatened to fundamentally alter the decades-old U.S.-Saudi relationship and impose significant economic costs on the US if it retaliated against the oil cuts, according to a classified document obtained by The Washington Post." Jun 9, 2023
https://twitter.com/LukeGromen/status/1667175001567510531

Saudi crown prince threatened ‘major’ economic pain on U.S. amid oil feud
THE DISCORD LEAKS | After President Biden vowed to impose ‘consequences’ on Saudi Arabia for slashing oil production last year, Mohammed bin Salman privately threatened to sever ties and retaliate economically, according to a classified U.S. intelligence document.
John Hudson June 8, 2023
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/08/saudi-arabia-cut-oil-production/

tags: less than 10 years, that's all the time the USG has to catch china rising, after that, it will be too late, vision2030

tags: covid-19 was a crisis manufactured to save the American Empire

tags: FORE !

A spokesperson with the National Security Council said “we are not aware of such threats by Saudi Arabia.”
2018:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/ow9apW3NXBc/m/EGFhpe44CAAJ

chromebook test

Jun 12, 2023, 11:57:29 AM6/12/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Pakistan's Russian crude shipment paid in Chinese currency
By Ariba Shahid and Asif Shahzad June 12, 2023
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/pakistans-russian-crude-shipment-paid-chinese-currency-minister-2023-06-12/

ISLAMABAD, June 12 (Reuters) - Pakistan paid for its first government-to-government import of discounted Russian crude in Chinese currency, the South Asian country's petroleum minister said on Monday, a significant shift in its U.S. dollar-dominated export payments policy.

chromebook test

Jun 17, 2023, 10:28:39 AM6/17/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

LONDON/WASHINGTON -- Russia has paid dividends from the Sakhalin oil and gas development projects in Chinese yuan, Nikkei has learned, a move necessitated by Western sanctions on Moscow that have kept financial institutions from accepting dollars related to Russian business.

After Moscow last year established new companies to manage its interests in the projects, located in the country's far east, Russian entities said they would change their dividend payment methods but did not specify which currencies they would use.

Before the sanctions, Sakhalin project dividends had been transferred in dollars about twice a year through a bank account in Singapore. However, with the sanctions essentially barring Russia from the dollar settlement network, financial institutions are now reluctant to conduct Russia-related dollar transactions.

Early this year, the Russian entities created a new remittance route to pay dividends from the Sakhalin projects.

Russian entities recently used yuan to pay dividends to Japanese trading companies that have stakes in the projects. The related transactions are believed to have been handled by Gazprombank, a subsidiary of state oil and gas company Gazprom.

Japan's Sakhalin Oil and Gas Development Co. -- in which the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and Japanese trading companies have equity stakes -- holds a 30% interest in Sakhalin 1. As for Sakhalin 2, Mitsui & Co. has a 12.5% stake and Mitsubishi Corp. 10%. Japanese companies maintained their stakes even after their U.S. and European partners withdrew.

Russia pays Sakhalin dividends in Chinese yuan
Western sanctions on Moscow cast shadow on dollar hegemony
AKIRA YAMASHITA and KOSUKE TAKAMI, Nikkei staff writers June 15, 2023
https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/Ukraine-war/Russia-pays-Sakhalin-dividends-in-Chinese-yuan

tags: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KAL007.svg , 007

chromebook test

Jul 19, 2023, 12:26:30 PM7/19/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

RFK Jr. Announces Bold Plan to Back Dollar With Bitcoin, End Bitcoin Taxes
Speaking at a Heal-the-Divide PAC event, Democratic Presidential Candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. outlined specific Bitcoin-focused policies that he would enact as president, including gradually backing the U.S. dollar with bitcoin and making bitcoin profits exempt from capital gains taxes.
BITCOIN MAGAZINE 2023-07-19
https://www.thestreet.com/cryptocurrency/rfk-jr-announces-plan-to-back-dollar-with-bitcoin-end-bitcoin-taxes

“My plan would be to start very, very small, perhaps 1% of issued T-bills would be backed by hard currency, by gold, silver platinum or bitcoin,” Kennedy said, describing his vision for returning to a hard currency standard in the U.S.

He added that, depending on the outcome of that initial step, he would increase that allocation annually.

This potential policy reimagines the financial system, pointing to a future where bitcoin's absolute scarcity and sound monetary principles reinforce the U.S. dollar’s eroding position as the world reserve currency.

"Backing dollars and U.S. debt obligations with hard assets could help restore strength back to the dollar, rein in inflation and usher in a new era of American financial stability, peace and prosperity," he declared.

In addition, Kennedy announced his administration “will exempt the conversion of bitcoin to the U.S. dollar from capital gains taxes.”

"The benefits include facilitating innovation and spurring investment, ensuring citizen privacy, incentivizing ventures to grow their business and tech jobs in the United States rather than in Singapore, Switzerland, Germany and Portugal,” he added. “Non-taxable events are unreportable and that means it will be more difficult for governments to weaponize currency against free speech, which as many of you know, is one of my principal objectives."

During his announcement today, Kennedy reiterated the slew of commitments he made to foster Bitcoin adoption during a speech at the Bitcoin 2023 conference in May, which included “defending the right of self custody of bitcoin,” upholding “the right to run a node at home” and defending “industry-neutral regulation of energy.”

Kennedy framed his commitments to Bitcoin as integral to the ideals of his uncle, President John F. Kennedy, and his own vision for governing a free and equitable country.

“My uncle, President Kennedy, when he was in office, understood the importance of hard currency and the dangers of having pure fiat currency with no other option,” Kennedy said. “He understood the relationship between fiat currency and war, fiat currency and … very, very destructive environmental projects and also these giant aggregations of wealth and the unbalance, the disparities in wealth that are the ultimate yield of every fiat currency.”

Reflecting on the history of fiat currencies, Kennedy didn’t mince words, citing the frequent use of unbacked paper currency to fund wars without the need for specific government taxation or citizens’ approval.

"Fiat currency was invented to fund wars,” he said. “I like base currencies because they make it more difficult, you have to go to the public. You can't just print money to fund the war and tax the public through the hidden tax of inflation. You actually have to go to the public and say, ‘Here's what this war is going to cost.’”

He emphasized his regulatory outlook that “bitcoin is not a security and should not be regulated as one” and his commitment to “put an end to the current policies of the Biden administration that are invited by Choke Point 2.0 to punish banks that are dealing with bitcoin.”

Reflecting on the broader implications of these policies, Kennedy alluded to the financial circumstances that currently face the United States. A steady growth rate of 6.5% in national debt over the past decade makes the case for forward-looking and comprehensive fiscal strategies from the highest office. Against this backdrop, Kennedy’s proposal for the U.S. Treasury to acquire assets such as bitcoin and precious metals is an approach that’s meant to offer an insurance policy against the country’s mounting debt.

Kennedy’s steadfast conviction in Bitcoin signals a coming political paradigm shift, where bitcoin is seen not just as an asset, but as a prudent policy tool to ensure the nation's fiscal longevity and an opportunity to attract intellectual capital to U.S. shores.

chromebook test

Aug 6, 2023, 2:59:12 PM8/6/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

Coins
By Jed Stevenson Published: April 14, 1991
https://web.archive.org/web/20150525225449/https://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/14/news/coins.html

Gold coins made by the U.S. to help oil companies pay their debts to the Saudis.

Sometimes coins are minted for the strangest of reasons. Some Saudi Arabian bullion coins, several of which will be auctioned by Stack's early next month, are a prime example.

The coins were struck in Philadelphia by the United States Mint in 1945 and 1947 to satisfy the obligations of the Arabian American Oil Company, or Aramco, which had been set up in Saudi Arabia by four American oil companies. The company was obliged to pay the Saudi Government $3 million a year in oil royalties and its contract specified that the payment be made in gold.

The United States dollar at the time was governed by a gold standard that, at least officially, made the dollar worth one thirty-fifth of an ounce of gold. But the price of gold on the open market had skyrocketed during World War II.

For a time the Saudis accepted payment in United States currency, but by 1945 they were insisting that the payments in gold be resumed. Aramco sought help from the United States Government. Faced with the prospect of either a cutoff of substantial amounts of Middle Eastern oil or a huge increase in the price of Saudi crude, the Government minted 91,120 large gold disks adorned with the American eagle and the words "U.S. Mint -- Philadelphia."

Aramco paid for the minting and the bullion. The coins were shipped off to Saudi Arabia.

These bullion coins weighed 493.1 grains, slightly more than a troy ounce, and were 91 2/3 percent gold and 8 1/3 percent copper. The fineness was that of the British sterling system then current in the Middle East. The United States standard was only 90 percent gold.

Although some Aramco employees reported seeing the coins in circulation in the late 1940's, even using them as poker chips, the coins were not widely circulated. Islamic law discourages images and most Saudi coins are adorned with only Arabic script as decoration. The eagle with its wings spread wide must have been a startling sight to Saudi Arabia's more orthodox Muslims.

But most of the coins disappeared for more temporal reasons. The bullion coins were crated and shipped to Bombay, where the $35-an-ounce American gold was sold for $70 an ounce. Most of the coins were melted into bars and later sold in Macao. (1)

In 1947, Aramco contracted for 121,364 smaller bullion coins with the same design, but weighing just 123.27 grains. Those coins actually saw some popular use in Saudi Arabia and traded for about $12, or 40 silver Saudi riyals. But the popularity declined after Swiss and Lebanese counterfeiters began striking coins that were similar but less valuable.

(1)

See thread "What Did You Watch? 2023-06-26 (Monday)"
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv/c/wUdzCYMFop0/m/8o8J1JtwAQAJ

Terry and the Pirates | S1 | Ep1 | Full Episode | Macao Gold | John Baer | William Tracy
Nov 25, 2022 #classictv #adventure #TheStreamMovies

Hotshot Charlie's plane, with its cargo of gold bullion, is hijacked by the Dragon Lady's operatives while en route to Japan. Terry Lee and Chopstick Joe deduce that the gold could only be disposed of it the Portugese colony of Macao and Terry flies there to attempt to recover the precious cargo.

Macau or Macao, why was this the gold's destination? Why did gold have a special value? Chopstick explains:
https://youtu.be/YLa9FYCiewU?t=613

chromebook test

Aug 9, 2023, 7:25:50 PM8/9/23
On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 8:24:17 PM UTC-4, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Saudi Arabia and the US petro-dollar
>

> ◙ Background:
>
> The basic framework was strikingly simple. The U.S. would buy oil from Saudi Arabia and provide the kingdom military aid and equipment. In return, the Saudis would plow billions of their petrodollar revenue back into Treasuries and finance America’s spending.
>
> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret
>

> ◙ 2017:
>
> Saudi Arabia wants to kill the petrodollar
> https://www.rt.com/business/410056-saudi-arabia-petrodollar-economist/
>

> ◙ 2018:
>
> Saudi report threatens Trump over #JamalKhashoggi
>
> 1. Install a Russian base
> 2. Take oil to $200
> 3. Kill the petro dollar
> 4. Stop buying US weapons
>
> US will "stab its own economy to death"
>
> https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/1051583051321536513
> https://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2018/10/14/OPINION-US-sanctions-on-Riyadh-means-Washington-is-stabbing-itself.html

'The BRICS central banks continue to amass gold.'

https://twitter.com/jessefelder/status/1689349693615255554

chromebook test

Aug 11, 2023, 4:55:13 PM8/11/23
In exchange for U.S. concessions to Saudi Arabia, the Biden administration is seeking assurances from Saudi Arabia that it will distance itself—economically and militarily—from China, say U.S. officials.
The officials said the U.S. could seek assurances from Saudi Arabia that it won’t allow China to build military bases in the kingdom—an issue that has become a sore point between the Biden administration and United Arab Emirates. Negotiators could also seek limitations on Saudi Arabia using technology developed by China’s Huawei and assurances that Riyadh will use U.S. dollars, not Chinese currency, to price oil sales, they said.

https://archive.is/8XEyE

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-saudi-arabia-agree-to-broad-terms-for-israel-normalization-ac6d549c

chromebook test

Aug 23, 2023, 3:35:05 PM8/23/23
The growth of BRICS is easily one of the most important international stories. They have prioritized de-dollarization and are exploiting the US fixation on Ukraine to further fortify multi-polarity.
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1694372654227018076

There are very few US journalists covering its summit there.
Michael Tracey

Good day, I’m in Johannesburg, South Africa for the BRICS Summit. I apologize in advance for speaking to people who are not affiliated with any US think tanks or State Department front groups
11:34 AM · Aug 23, 2023

> https://archive.is/8XEyE
>

> https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-saudi-arabia-agree-to-broad-terms-for-israel-normalization-ac6d549c

#gawdbleshuhmerka !