EDINBURGH, The Lord High Admiral HRH The Prince Philip, 1st Duke of, 1921-2021

Richard R

Apr 9, 2021, 7:27:31 AM4/9/21
to Peerage News

The Lord High Admiral HRH The Prince Philip, 1st Duke of Edinburgh (1947 cr) KG KT OM GCVO GBE ONZ QSO AK GCL CC CMM 1921-2021 s of HRH Prince ANDREW of Greece & Denmark (1882-1944) and HRH Princess (Victoria) Alice Elisabeth Julie Marie of Battenberg (Princess Andrew of Greece, 1885-1969). He m 1947 his third cousin (descent from Queen VICTORIA) or 2nd cousin once removed (descent from King CHRISTIAN IX of Denmark) Queen ELIZABETH II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary (b 1926)) and had three sons and a dau. His eldest son succeeds him

[NOTE: numbers before each name indicate the person's place in the line of succession to the dukedom of Edinburgh created for Prince PHILIP at the time of his m to The QUEEN in 1947]

HRH The Prince CHARLES PHILIP ARTHUR GEORGE KG KT OM GBE ONZ QSO AK GCL CC CMM ADC (b 1948), succ his father as 2nd Duke of EDINBURGH 9 April 2021 but has yet to establish his claim and appear on The Peerage Roll.

Prince of WALES & Earl of CHESTER, Duke of CORNWALL & ROTHESAY, Lord of the ISLES and Great Steward of SCOTLAND &c, heir apparent to The QUEEN. He m 1st 1981 (div 1996) Lady Diana Frances SPENCER (1961-97) d of 8th Earl SPENCER LVO (1924-92) and Hon Frances Ruth Burke ROCHE (1936-2004, d of 4th Baron FERMOY (1885-1955) and Ruth Sylvia GILL (1908-93)), and had two sons. He m 2nd 2005 as her 2nd h Camilla Rosemary GCVO (HRH The Duchess of CORNWALL, b 1947, previously Mrs Andrew Parker Bowles) d of Maj Bruce Middleton Hope SHAND MC (1917-2006) and Hon Rosalind Maud CUBITT (1921-94, d of 3rd Baron ASHCOMBE (1899-1962), &c).
Prince Charles issue from his 1st m:

1. HRH Prince WILLIAM ARTHUR PHILIP LOUIS KG KT ADC (b 1982) 1st Duke of CAMBRIDGE. He m 2011 Catherine Elizabeth GCVO (HRH The Duchess of CAMBRIDGE, b 1982) d of Michael Francis MIDDLETON (b 1949) and Carole Elizabeth GOLDSMITH (b 1955), and had a dau and the following two sons:
2. HRH Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge (b 2013)
3. HRH Prince Louis Arthur Charles of Cambridge (b 2018)

4. HRH Prince Henry (Harry) Charles Albert David  1st Duke of SUSSEX KCVO ADC (b 1984) . He m 2018 (Rachel) Meghan (b 1981) d of Thomas W MARKLE (b 1945) and Doria RAGLAND (b 1957), both of the USA, and had a son:
5. Archie Harrison MOUNTBATTEN-WINDSOR (b 2019)

PRINCE PHILIP’S YOUNGER SONS & their issue

6. HRH The Prince ANDREW ALBERT CHRISTIAN EDWARD  1st Duke of YORK KG GCVO ADC (b 1960). He m 1986 (div 1996) Sarah Margaret (Sarah, Duchess of York, b 1959) d of Brig Ronald Ivor FERGUSON (1931-2003), scion of the gentry family of that name of Dummer, and his 1st w (her 1st h) Susan Mary WRIGHT (1937-98, having m 2nd Hector Eduardo Barrantes (1939-90)), and had two daus, not in line.

7. HRH The Prince EDWARD ANTONY RICHARD LOUIS  1st Earl of WESSEX and 1st Earl of FORFAR KG GCVO ADC (b 1964). He m 1999 Sophie Helen GCVO (HRH The Countess of Wessex, b 1965) d of Christopher Bournes RHYS-JONES (b 1931), scion of the MOLESWORTH viscounts, and Mary O'SULLIVAN (1934-2005), and had a son and a dau. His son is in line to the dukedom:
8. James Alexander Philip Theo MOUNTBATTEN-WINDSOR (b 2007) styled Viscount SEVERN

[Note: it is intended that the dukedom of Edinburgh will be created for Prince Edward, presumably once the present dukedom (cr 1947) merges in the Crown upon Prince Charles' accession as KING]

John Horton

Apr 9, 2021, 8:27:54 AM4/9/21
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
Also 4th cousin once removed (descent from King GEORGE III of United Kingdom).

Apr 9, 2021, 11:26:06 AM4/9/21
to Peerage News
Sorry for some pedantry. I think that the late Duke's mother should be HSH Princess (Victoria) Alice Elisabeth Julie Marie of Battenberg (HRH Princess Andrew of Greece, 1885-1969)

gorgo...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2021, 7:34:53 AM4/10/21
to Peerage News

Is it reasonable to expect Boris Johnson or other official(s) at the funeral in current situation?

colinp

Apr 10, 2021, 10:15:46 AM4/10/21
to Peerage News

As has been widely reported the Duke of Edinburgh was the oldest living descendant of Queen Victoria but (aged 99 years and 303 days) he was also the oldest ever QVD.  The Queen is now the oldest living QVD followed by Lady Pamela Hicks and Princess Astrid of Norway

His Royal Highness was the senior Privy Counsellor having been appointed in 1951 and he and the Queen were the last survivors of King George VI’s Privy Council.  He was also the oldest PC.  The senior Privy Counsellor is now Lord Morris of Aberavon (appointed 1970) and the oldest is Sir Stephen Brown (b 1924), former Lord Justice of Appeal and President of the Family Division of the High Court.  Prince Philip was also the senior member of the Privy Council of Canada (apptd 1957)

The Duke of Edinburgh was the oldest Knight of the Garter and the senior Knight (apptd 1947).   The oldest Knight is now Lord Sainsbury of Preston Candover (b 1927) and the senior Knight is now The Prince of Wales (apptd 1958)

Prince Philip was the oldest Knight of the Thistle and the senior Knight (apptd 1952).  The oldest Knight is now the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine (b 1924) and the senior Knight is now also The Prince of Wales (apptd 1977).

His Royal Highness was senior and oldest (apptd 1968) OM.  The senior OM is now Lord Foster of Thames Bank (apptd 1997) and the oldest OM is Sir David Attenborough (b 1926)

The Duke of Edinburgh was the oldest holder of the Royal Victorian Chain.  The oldest holder is now the Earl of Airlie (b 1926)

Prince Philip was the senior Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (apptd 1953) and the oldest GBE.  The oldest GBE is now Sir Stephen Brown (b 1924) – see above.  The senior GBE is Sir Christopher Leaver (apptd 1981) former Lord Mayor of London.  His Royal Highness was also Grand Master of the Order – I would have predicted that the Duke of York might have succeeded him but perhaps now the Duke of Cambridge or the Earl of Wessex

Having been knighted (as KG) in 1947 the Duke of Edinburgh was the senior knight of the realm.  That honour now falls to the Prince of Wales who was knighted (as KG) in 1958

George

Apr 10, 2021, 11:07:02 AM4/10/21
to Peerage News
They were also 4th cousins by descent from Louis Duke of Württemburg (Ludwig Friedrich Alexander Herzog von Württemberg) (1756–1817).

Henry W

Apr 10, 2021, 12:03:25 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
BBC just announcing that funeral will take place Saturday 17 April at Windsor as a ceremonial royal (not state) funeral.

Henry W

Apr 10, 2021, 12:10:45 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
Also reporting that the attendees will be limited to the 30 mandated by current COVID rules (exempting clergy/pall bearers who are working at the funeral).  Anticipated that this will be members of the Royal Family and a handful of staff who were very close to him.  Expect no political representation.

Duke of Sussex to attend (somehow getting around COVID quarantine?), but not the Duchess of Sussex who is citing medical advice related to pregnancy.

Richard R

Apr 10, 2021, 12:56:15 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
Had he survived to 100,  I was hoping he would get the CH & GCB - to complete his Xmas tree of senior decorations!

As to funeral attendees, I think it will be kept to their descendants & spouses down to grandchildren. I think there's a case to be made for Prince George of Cambridge as a future monarch, but no other little great grandchildren. My wildcard would be Princess Alexandra, Hon Lady Ogilvy - who is a good friend of them both. That leaves some room for very close staff and a few friends. But we'll see!

Unless he's expressly asked for it not to happen, I imagine there'll be a major memorial service later in the year with a cast of thousands!

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 10, 2021, 1:22:40 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
As stated on the other post at least one or two of his sisters children or grandchildren

Richard R

Apr 10, 2021, 1:31:00 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
Let's see. But I don't think that will happen (it's just a personal view!)

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 10, 2021, 2:19:43 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
Just so unfortunate they were excluded from his wedding and now his funeral

uwe...@web.de

Apr 10, 2021, 3:17:09 PM4/10/21
to Peerage News
Just a rather minor correction: Senior member of the Privy Council of Canada is and was Paul Hellyer, who was sworn in about half a year before the late Duke on 26 April 1957.

Henry W

Apr 11, 2021, 1:27:51 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
I know that the late Duke was the oldest Duke ever in the Peerage, but does he also hold the record for enjoying his Dukedom for the longest?

He enjoyed it continuously for 73 years, 4 months, 21 days (excl end date). I had a look at the Peerage Records available via Leigh Rayment / Malta Genealogy site - nothing shows a Duke enjoying their peerage for as long, though its possible that one was "behind" one of the very long holders of a lower grade and had surpassed the late Duke, but doesn't appear on the table.

(NB - malta genealogy - the table at the top of that page is now out of date as some more peers have made a century - Viscount Falmouth, Lord Chalfont, Lord Shaw of Northstead, and Lord Saye & Sele. I don't think there are anymore ...)

Ivan Prekajski

Apr 11, 2021, 1:48:36 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
No, Duke of Kent holds his peerage since 1942.

Henry W

Apr 11, 2021, 2:10:01 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
Of course!  I definitely should have known that...

malcolm davies

Apr 11, 2021, 5:49:04 PM4/11/21
to Peerage News
Prince Philip had 19 nephews and nieces.Of those he  outlived 10.Of course the nephews in the Hesse Darmstadt family died in an aircrash which killed their parents in 1937,and the daughter Joana died in 1939 as a child.
All the Hohenloes are dead, except Prince George.Of the rest, Princess Margarita of Baden(Princess Tomislav of Yugoslavia),Prince Welf of Hanover and Princess Christina of Hesse(Princess Andreas of Yugoslavia) are also dead.
Needless to say he outlived all his sisters who died in 1937,1969,1981 & 2001 respectively(Princess Sophie of Hanover being the last).

Richard R

Apr 12, 2021, 2:26:09 AM4/12/21
to Peerage News
The 4th Duke of GORDON held his dukedom for 74 years 10 months and 10 days, which means Prince Philip is currently 3rd in terms of longevity.
According to my calculations his son the Duke of Cornwall & Rothesay &c is currently 7th longest holder of a dukedom(s) at 69 years, 2 months and 6 days excluding today (12 April), and will move up to 6th longest holder in a few weeks (passing the 5th Duke of Rutland's 69.2.28 record), and then 5th longest holder in the course of the next year (passing the 3rd Duke of Leinster's 69.11.21 record). Charles will move into 4th place below his father towards the end of September 2022 (passing the 6th Duke of Somerset's 70.7.13 record)
Message has been deleted

colinp

Apr 13, 2021, 4:38:21 AM4/13/21
to Peerage News
Story from Daily Mail regarding the "unearthing" of Prince Philip's birth/baptismal certificate - Prince Philip's birth certificate is unearthed after lying buried for 99 years in an archive | Daily Mail Online

The certificate as translated by the Mail reads:-

In Corfu, on October 24 of the year 1921, I, the undersigned vicar of the Church of Our Christ the Saviour, which is located in the grounds of the Royal Estate Mon Repos, declare that His Royal Highness Prince Andreas (Andrew) of Greece, aged 39, son of our late King George I, born in Athens and residing in Corfu, appeared before me.

He presented to me a newborn male infant, and stated that he was born on Friday May 28 1921 at 10am in his residence to Her Royal Princess Aliki (Alice), aged 36, daughter of Louis, Prince of Battenberg, born in Windsor Castle.

During his baptism the newborn was given the name Philippos (Philip) by his godparents, namely Her Royal Majesty Queen Mother Olga, represented by Her Highness Princess Olga, daughter of His Royal Highness Prince Nikolaos of Greece, and the Municipality of the Corfiates, represented unanimously by Mayor Mr Alexandros S. Kokotos, and Mr Stylianos I. Maniarizis, president of the Municipal Council.

The hereby act of registration was compiled in presence of the witness, Theodoros Chrysovitsianos, son of Nikolaos, aged 45, doctor, born in Corfu, and Konstantinos Alamanos, son of Pericles, aged 39, lawyer, born in Corfu, and both municipal councils.

The act of registration is legally signed by me, the appeared, and the witnesses.

Greece was still operating under the Julian calendar at the time of Prince Philip's birth

Richard R

Apr 14, 2021, 3:49:02 AM4/14/21
to Peerage News
Ahead of the publication on 15 April of the attendees' names at Saturday's funeral, is the list likely to look like this?

1 The QUEEN
2 The Prince of Wales
3 The Duchess of Cornwall
4 The Duke of York
5 The Earl of Wessex
6 The Countess of Wessex
7 The Princess Royal
8 Sir Tim Lawrence
9 The Duke of Cambridge
10 The Duchess of Cambridge
11 The Duke of Sussex
12 Princess Beatrice of York
13 Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
14 Princess Eugenie of York
15 Jack Brooksbank
16 Viscount Severn
17 Lady Louise [Mountbatten-]Windsor
18 Peter Phillips
19 Zara Tindall
20 Mike Tindall
21 The Earl of Snowdon
22 Lady Sarah Chatto
23 The Duke of Gloucester
24 The Duchess of Gloucester
25 The Duke of Kent
26 The Duchess of Kent
27 Prince Michael of Kent
28 Princess Michael of Kent
29 Princess Alexandra
30 Brig Archie Miller Bakewell (Prince Philip's Private Secretary)

My guess is Brig Miller Bakewell will be KCVO'd at some point.

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 14, 2021, 5:13:44 AM4/14/21
to Peerage News
Would expect Lady Pamela Hicks and Lady Mountbatten to be present and still hoping at least one rep from Germany.This could be achieved by cutting out some of the husbands of the grandchildren

LoopyCrown3

Apr 14, 2021, 8:41:47 AM4/14/21
to Peerage News
I presume there will be a special honours list following Prince Philip's passing.  Just as there was in 2002 when the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret died. Which would likely include his household staff and funeral bearer party.

dpth...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 11:10:14 AM4/14/21
to Peerage News
I'd be surprised if the elder children of the Cambridges were not present.

dpth...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2021, 11:22:44 AM4/14/21
to Peerage News
seemingly certain:

Queen
Charles; Camilla
Cambridges, including at least George
Sussex
Andrew
Beatrice and Eugenie and their husbands
Wessexes and both Wessex children
Princess Royal and husband
Peter
Zara and Mike

this brings it to 21.

For the other nine:

Considering the Covid restraints keeping the total to 30, I don't think it is necessarily the case that Snowdon and Lady Sarah Chatto, the Gloucesters, or the Kents including Alexandra and the Michaels, will be invited.

The Duchess of York is another possibility. Did Philip have a good relationship with her?

I would expect some Mountbattens and Knatchbulls and Hickses, as well as possibly one or two representatives from among his [great-]nephews/nieces.

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 14, 2021, 1:06:02 PM4/14/21
to Peerage News
When I worked at Windsor Castle, The Duke would regularly have visits from his Hohenlohe-Langenburg and Hesse relations (esp around the time of the Windsor Horse Show).  I do hope at least someone is able to attend to represent them.

Countess Mountbatten of Burma used to stay on a regular basis too and would often go carriage riding with (and without) The Duke - would be surprised if she doesnt go.   Her estranged husband, Earl Mountbatten of Burma is a godson of The Duke... so it would make sense for her to attend.

Im sure Lady Pamela Hicks would like to go (after all she is his first cousin) but I wonder if logistically it would be possible as she is getting frail, and not to steady on her pins (last time I met her she was walking with a stick).... so IF she did go, she would I am sure want someone there to lean on/hold onto?  Or if she used a chair, someone would be needed to push it  - so that would take up another seat.

I would have thought Lady Sarah Chatto would attend, she is a favourite of The Queen after all... would consider that she is very close to HM and may be needed for that extra support.

The Duchess of York.... highly unlikely.  It was always understood that The Duke and Fergie were not on good terms after the "toe sucking" incident, but then she has been publicly visible (eg: Royal Ascot) at some family events - but as numbers are SO limited - cant see her attending.  After all, it will be first time most of the public have seen Prince Andrew for sometime... might draw more attention his way?

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 14, 2021, 1:13:22 PM4/14/21
to Peerage News

"Hohenloes ALL dead"?  I dont think so!  The 10th Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg is  very much alive... he is a godson of The Princess Royal, married and has 3 children.

Philipp, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg - Wikipedia

Hohenlohe-Langenburg - Wikipedia

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 14, 2021, 1:41:07 PM4/14/21
to Peerage News
He meant all but one of Princess Margaritas children

ThomasFoolery

Apr 14, 2021, 4:51:52 PM4/14/21
to Peerage News
There will be a military presence at Windsor Castle as well as representatives of charities   Perhaps the Gloucesters and Kents could have a preeminent place in that sort of setup, without being at the actual service?

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 14, 2021, 7:13:22 PM4/14/21
to Peerage News
Prince Philip's close family from Germany is isolating in Ascot for the funeral | Daily Mail Online

Daily Mail reporting that 3 of HIS side of the family are attending -

Richard R

Apr 15, 2021, 1:21:02 AM4/15/21
to Peerage News
This is just the news we've been lacking. I compiled my list on the basis that I could see no sign of quarantine of foreign relations. It's good now to learn that this has happened and that his sisters' families will be represented. Now speculation turns to which three British royals will not be attending?

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 15, 2021, 12:04:34 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 15, 2021, 12:05:37 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
The 30 people attending the funeral (from the BBC News website)
  • The Queen
  • The Prince of Wales
  • The Duchess of Cornwall
  • The Duke of Cambridge
  • The Duchess of Cambridge
  • The Duke of Sussex
  • The Duke of York
  • Princess Beatrice
  • Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
  • Princess Eugenie
  • Jack Brooksbank
  • The Earl of Wessex
  • The Countess of Wessex
  • Lady Louise Windsor
  • Viscount Severn
  • The Princess Royal
  • Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence
  • Peter Phillips
  • Zara Phillips
  • Mike Tindall
  • Earl of Snowdon
  • Lady Sarah Chatto
  • Daniel Chatto
  • Duke of Gloucester
  • Duke of Kent
  • Princess Alexandra
  • Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden
  • Prince Donatus, Landgrave of Hesse
  • Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg
  • The Countess Mountbatten of Burma

Lori

Apr 15, 2021, 12:17:12 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
Oh that is an excellent list, don't think anyone will feel left out from this list.

sven_me...@web.de

Apr 15, 2021, 12:39:00 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
no Prince and Princess Michael, no Duchess of Kent or Gloucester, no Lady Pamela Hicks, no greatgrandchildren

john

Apr 15, 2021, 12:49:26 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
What about his private secretary?

Paul Theroff

Apr 15, 2021, 12:52:52 PM4/15/21
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
A perfectly reasonable list, though I am surprised that Prince George, as future king, was not included.

D. P. Theroff

john

Apr 15, 2021, 12:58:40 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
I'm also wondering how the german relatives will be named in official anouncements. Wouldn't it be a breach of protocol or at least inapropriate to use titles explicit dismissed by laws of the corresponding country?

bx...@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2021, 1:48:09 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
Are the 3 German relatives all his nephews and/or grandnephews?

Brooke

sven_me...@web.de

Apr 15, 2021, 2:05:34 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
One is a nephew of his sister and brother-in-law.

Harry Merritt

Apr 15, 2021, 3:50:35 PM4/15/21
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
Philipp of H-L and Bernhard of B are grandnephews. Donatus of Hesse is a cousin.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Peerage News" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/peerage-news/21bfb8cd-4d3e-4a64-9e74-64c407cba63fn%40googlegroups.com.

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 15, 2021, 4:23:42 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News
There has to be a limit, so tough decisions have to be made....

The Duchess of Kent (88yrs old) has practically retired from public events (allbeit unofficially).  Lady Pamela Hicks (is 91yrs old), she is quite unsteady on her pins, so would need an escort to accompany her (when I last saw her, she was using a walking stick)... as for great-granchildren - it isnt normal for children to attend?

I must admit, I would have thought that HRH's Private Sec would have been on the list - to represent his Household.

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 15, 2021, 4:29:36 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News

malcolm davies

Apr 15, 2021, 8:34:03 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News

This is a list of all Prince Philip's relatives who are still alive-
Nephews and Nieces
Prince Georg of Hohenloe b1938
Prince Max of Baden b1933
Prince Ludwig of Baden b1937
Princess Dorothea of Hesse b1934
Prince Karl of Hesse b1937
Prince Rainer of Hesse b1939
Princess Clarissa of Hesse b1944
Prince Georg of Hanover b1949
Princess Fredericke of Hanover b1954

Great Nephews and Nieces
Prince Philipp of Hohenloe b1970
Princess Cecilie of Hohenloeb1967
Princess Xenia of Hohenloe b1972
Princess Katherina of Hohenloe b1972
Princess Tatjana of Hohenloe b1975
Prince Bernhard of Baden b1970
Prince Leopold of Baden b1971
Prince Michael of Baden b1976
Princess Sophie of Baden b1975
Prince Berthold of Baden b1976
Princess Aglae of Baden b1981
Prince Nicholas of Yugoslavia b1958
Princess Katerina of Yugoslavia b1959
Prince George of Yugoslavia b1984
Prince Michael of Yugoslavia b1986
Prince Christoph of Hesse b1969
Princess Irina of Hesse b1971
Princess Maria of Yugoslavia b1957
Prince Karl of Yugoslavia b1964
Prince Dimitri of Yugoslavia b1965
Princess Marina of Windisch Gratz b1960
Princess Clarissa of Windisch Gratz b1966
Princess Tanja of Hanover b1970
Princess Vera of Hanover b1976
Princess Nora of Hanover b1982
Julia Cyr b1982
Jean-Paul Cyr b1985

Greek cousins
First cousins once removed
Queen Sophia of Spain
King Constantine of Greece
Princess Irene of Greece
Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia
Count Hans Toerring-Jettenbach
Archduchess Helene of Austria
Duke of Kent
Princess Alexandra of Kent
Prince Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandria of Greece
Princess Olga,Duchess of Apulia

Mountbatten cousins
Cousin
Lady Pamela Hicks
First cousins once removed
Earl Mountbatten
Michael John Knatchbull
Baroness de Breuil
Amanda Ellingworth
Timothy Knatchbull
Edwina Brudenell
Ashley Hicks
India Hicks

Thus there are 9 nephews and nieces, 27 grand nephews and nieces, 1 first cousin and 19 first cousins once removed,before their spouses are taken into account,so it shows how limiting the funeral is by the Covid pandemic.

Stephen Raven

Apr 15, 2021, 9:13:49 PM4/15/21
to Peerage
The list of the Duke’s great nephew’s needs updating. Missing is Prince Louis of Holenlohe-langenburg. B 1976And 3 on the list are not great nephews & nieces. As they are by different marriages than to a niece of the Duke. They are Princess Maria, Prince George & Prince Michael all of Yugoslavia. Which also now should be of Serbia.
https://groups.google.com/g/peerage-news/c/4015HNtFMAE

Sent from my iPhone

Stephen Raven

Apr 15, 2021, 9:21:28 PM4/15/21
to Peerage
Sorry, working too quickly. Princess Maria of Yugoslavia is a great niece. But not the 2 sons of Prince Andrew’s 2nd marriage Prince Karl & Prince Dimitrius.

ThomasFoolery

Apr 15, 2021, 9:45:51 PM4/15/21
to Peerage News

Not surprised Prince George not attending. Honestly not sure if he’d be old enough in a conventional funeral.

Little unfortunate that Viscount Severn isn’t following the coffin in, the only grandson not to do so. Also a potential future Duke of Edinburgh (though who knows...)

pyvery

Apr 16, 2021, 3:04:21 AM4/16/21
to Peerage News
You have missed out the only remaining first cousin on the Greek side

Prince michael of Greece

father of Princess Alexandra and the duchess of Apulia.

pyvery

Apr 16, 2021, 3:24:59 AM4/16/21
to Peerage News
I think that the following have been left out of the great nephews and nieces

Helen Sophia van Eyck  b 1963

Mark Nicholas Van Eyck b 1966

jhigg...@yahoo.com

Apr 16, 2021, 1:39:23 PM4/16/21
to Peerage News
Donatus of Hesse is a "cousin" of Philip in a broad sense.  He appears to be a third cousin once removed - fairly distant.

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 16, 2021, 5:22:18 PM4/16/21
to Peerage News

pyvery

Apr 17, 2021, 6:13:28 AM4/17/21
to Peerage News

Another great -niece missing is the daughter of Clarissa of Hesse

Jonanna von Hessen b 1980

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 17, 2021, 3:54:53 PM4/17/21
to Peerage News
All the surviving Hesse nieces and nephews are approaching or are over eighty so Donatus is a representative of the families of Cecile and Sophia

uwe...@web.de

Apr 17, 2021, 6:49:53 PM4/17/21
to Peerage News
I think the invitation of Donatus can only be partially explained with him being a representative of the families of Cecile and Sophia. But that‘s not conveying the full picture. The death of Cecile and her family while en route to London for the marriage of prince Ludwig of Hesse(-Darmstadt) to Margaret daughter of 1st baron Geddes in 1937 led to a strong bond of the Mountbattens, who cared about Philip at that time, with the newly-wed couple. After all, the connection between Hesse-Darmstadt and the Battenberg/Mountbatten family had always been very strong. Prince Ludwig and Margaret were also close friends with the UK royals as can be seen by the visit to their Wolfsgarten castle (south of Frankfurt) during the state visit to Germany 1965, Ludwig being Prince Edward‘s godfather etc. (according to the Prince of Wales himself, Ludwig was also his godfather!, see his letter as reprinted in the book „Margaret Prinzessin von Hessen und bei Rhein - Ein Gedenkbuch“ , Verlag Schlapp Darmstadt, 1997, ISBN 3-87704-039-X on page 13.)
Another interesting link is via Benjamin Britten who was introduced by Ludwig to some German poetry and whose Jubilate Deo (performed in the funeral today) was written at the request of Philip.
Philip and Charles were frequent guests at Wolfsgarten castle and of course both attended Margaret‘s funeral in 1997. Since the Darmstadt-branch of the House of Hessen became extinct, Ludwig had adopted the heir of the other (the Hessen-Kassel) line, Moritz, as heir. He and his family retained the close relationship with the British royals, are keen horsemen and are in possession of Wolfsgarten and Kronberg (Friedrichshof) castles, the latter being the last residence of Victoria, daughter of Queen Victoria. Moritz was about the age of HM the Queen, born in 1926 as well. He died in 2013 and was succeeded as head of the family and manager of the estates by Donatus. BTW:There are quite some entries in the court circular to be found since 1997 in connection to Margaret and Moritz.

To cut a long story short: the relationship with Donatus seems to be a much more personal one, insofar perhaps better comparable to Lady Mountbatten of Burma as a good friend and being the chatelaine of Broadlands house. To single him out among the late Duke‘s numerous german relatives, it needs more than just a bloodline.

malcolm davies

Apr 18, 2021, 12:03:28 AM4/18/21
to Peerage News
Uwe,
        All true-but remember they are all descendants of Queen Victoria.The houses of Hesse,Baden & Hanover(ie Princess Sophies’s second husband) are all descended from Empress Victoria,the Hohenloes from Princess Alice,Queen Victoria’s second daughter.
 The only guests not descended from Queen Victoria were the wives or husbands of other guests.

Message has been deleted

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 18, 2021, 3:00:10 AM4/18/21
to Peerage News
Well I was very impressed at how they coped with the organisation of yesterday's funeral.  Obviously with the Govt Covid-19 regulations, they had to be seen to be complying, not just actually doing so... but seeing HM sitting a lone figure was heart-breaking.  Having lost 3 people over the last year (and not being able to attend any of the funerals) I know just how sad it is.  I think HRH will have been pleased to see how HIS ideas were adapted.

I for one, will remember this event and of course HRH with great fondness, who I had the pleasure and honour to serve.  My favourite memory will be of him playing with Lady Louise in the private garden ( just along from the George IV gate at the edge of the East Terrace) at Windsor... she was just a toddler then and he was chasing her around the bushes, she thought she was chasing him and he was right behind her having a real laugh and Lady Louise was just ..... a granddaughter playing with her grandfather.

Troy

Apr 18, 2021, 4:15:05 AM4/18/21
to Peerage News
Why did Garter King of Arms not read out all of HRH's honours? The Australian and New Zealand honours - which still emanate from the same fount of honour  (The Queen) - were not mentioned.

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

Apr 18, 2021, 3:53:11 PM4/18/21
to Peerage News
Cant be specific - time/principal orders only? .... but looking at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth in 2002, her Canadian or New Zealand honours were not mentioned either... and she was also given the Royal Red Cross (RRC) in 1936 - and that wasnt mentioned either.... so guess it was their choice?

QEQM funeral.jpg

Richard R

Apr 19, 2021, 3:30:58 AM4/19/21
to Peerage News
Saturday's Court Circular has been published:

Windsor Castle
17th April, 2021
The Funeral of The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh took place in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, this afternoon.

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke of Sussex, The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice, Mrs Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank and Mr Jack Brooksbank, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, accompanied by the Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and Viscount Severn, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Mr Peter Phillips, Mr and Mrs Michael Tindall, the Earl of Snowdon, Mr Daniel and the Lady Sarah Chatto, The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy were present.

The Hereditary Prince of Baden, The Landgrave of Hesse, The Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg and the Countess Mountbatten of Burma attended.

The Dean of Windsor conducted the Service and offered the Commendatory Prayer.

The Archbishop of Canterbury pronounced the Blessing.

Garter Principal King of Arms proclaimed The Duke of Edinburgh’s Styles and Titles. Detachments of Her Majesty’s Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, The Queen’s Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard, the Military Knights of Windsor, a Dismounted Detachment of the Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment, the Royal Navy Piping Party, a Guard of Honour, found by The Rifles, and Defence Advisers from Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Trinidad and Tobago were on duty outside the Chapel.

Representatives from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Fleet Auxiliary, Army and Royal Air Force lined the processional route.

Minute Guns were fired for the duration of the Procession from the East Lawn of the Castle by The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery, under the command of Major Victoria Flood.

Court Circular 17 April 2021.pdf

Henry W

Apr 19, 2021, 2:20:07 PM4/19/21
to Peerage News
Garter King of Arms is a British (strictly English/Welsh/Northern Irish) officer of the Crown, not an Imperial/Commonwealth officer. Whilst the Queen may be but one person, she is many Crowns.

S. Jones

Apr 19, 2021, 5:27:43 PM4/19/21
to Peerage News
Garter Principal King of Arms is a British officer of the Crown, but not to the exclusion of all the other Commonwealth Realms. He is a senior officer of the College of Arms, an organisation that still seems to retain some responsibilities in other Commonwealth realms as well, not just the UK. That doesn't include Canada, but does indeed include New Zealand, for instance, and possibly Australia as well, though in the latter its authority seems somewhat unclear at the moment.

This is what NZ government Internet site states about NZ Herald of Arms extraordinary:

I quote: " The New Zealand Herald of Arms is New Zealand Deputy to Garter King of Arms and Deputy Inspector of Army, Naval and Air Force colours and badges. He represents the College of Arms and the Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor in New Zealand."

I think Troy made a valid point. It was most surprising that all the Commonwealth honours of HRH were omitted, even those from countries where the College of Arms de jure still has authority.

S. Jones

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 20, 2021, 9:21:56 AM4/20/21
to Peerage News
In fact only eight of his nieces and nephews are still alive.Princess Dorothea of Windish-Gratz (Hesse) died in 2002 the same year as her husband

Ivan Prekajski

Apr 21, 2021, 8:07:23 AM4/21/21
to Peerage News
I only recently heard that Princess Dorothea of Hesse died in 2002 and I am not convinced that it is true. There is Royalty Travel Guide and other Royal websites and non of them have her passing away in 2002.

BREMENMURRAY

Apr 21, 2021, 11:13:45 AM4/21/21
to Peerage News
The GENI website gives her date of death as Good Friday 29 March 2002 at Schwyz,Switzerland.If true this means she died the day before Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles was not many miles away on a skiing holiday.
It seems a coincidence that the date of death given for her husband Karl Fredrich is exactly two months later 29 May 2002

colinp

May 15, 2021, 9:03:07 AM5/15/21
to Peerage News
From the College of Arms Newsletter May 2021:

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh:it was announced on 9 April 2021 that His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, had died that day at Windsor. His Royal Highness’s funeral took place in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle on 17 April. At the close of the service Thomas Woodcock, Garter King of Arms, proclaimed as follows:

Thus it hath pleased Almighty God to take out of this transitory life unto His Divine Mercy the late Most High, Mighty and Illustrious Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order upon whom had been conferred the Royal Victorian Chain, Grand Master and Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom, One of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council, Admiral of the Fleet, Field Marshal in the Army and Marshal of the Royal Air Force, Husband of Her Most Excellent Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, whom may God Preserve and Bless with long life, health and honour and all worldly happiness.

Phillip O’Shea, New Zealand Herald Extraordinary, proclaimed His Royal Highness’s New Zealand styles and titles at the State Memorial Service held at Wellington Cathedral of St Paul on 21 April.

***

For Troy's benefit (see above) the proclamation of Prince Philip's styles and titles at the New Zealand State Memorial Service (taken from the video on YouTube) was as follows:

We commemorate the late Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Member of the Order of New Zealand, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Admiral of the Fleet of the Royal New Zealand Navy, Field Marshal in the New Zealand Army and Marshal of the Royal New Zealand Air Force, beloved Husband of HM Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God Queen of New Zealand and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, whom may God preserve with long life, health and honour and all worldly happiness

If there were national memorial services in Canada and Australia perhaps HRH's Canadian and Australian titles were proclaimed during them

www.lordmountbattenofburma.com

May 15, 2021, 5:23:37 PM5/15/21
to Peerage News
From the Order of Service

41865082-9480203-image-a-44_1618645544998.jpg

colinp

Jul 16, 2021, 10:28:03 AM7/16/21
to Peerage News
The Prince of Wales is now entered on the Roll of the Peerage (edition 9 July 2021) as Duke of Edinburgh

bx...@yahoo.com

Jul 16, 2021, 12:37:25 PM7/16/21
to Peerage News
Would he have to go through the same steps in being recognized as the successor to   a peerage as anyone else?

Thanks.

Brooke

colinp

Jul 16, 2021, 4:50:49 PM7/16/21