expected string or bytes-like object

gathua kiragu

Jun 23, 2021, 1:57:50ā€ÆAM6/23/21
to Ona Community

Hi Ona Team,

I'm getting the below error when trying to replace myĀ  form.
Please help.

expected string or bytes-like object

Your file should have the .xls .xlsx, .xml file extension because Ona uses XLS Forms to create forms.

Regards.
Kiragu Gathua
Upande Limited

Bilhah from Ona

Jun 23, 2021, 3:43:19ā€ÆAM6/23/21
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com
ona-co...@googlegroups.com was added to the conversation by Brian Gathua
ona-co...@googlegroups.com was removed from the conversation by Bilhah Kimondiu
Upande Limited --
Collect, Analyze and Share Data - https://ona.io/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ona Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ona-community/bf45e176-648b-48ec-b25b-a285b2815fd3n%40googlegroups.com.
Bilhah Bilhah from Ona
intercom

Bilhah from Ona

Jun 23, 2021, 3:49:14ā€ÆAM6/23/21
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com

Hello Brian,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please check for the following in your XLSForm:

  1. If the name column of the survey and choices worksheets has variable or choice names with spaces.
  2. If the name column of the survey worksheet has a variable name that begins with a number.

If the XLSForm does not have any of the above, please open the file in Excel, save it again and try replacing the form. If you continue to experience the same error, please share the XLSForm so that I can test it on my end.

Regards,
ļ»æBilhah

See our community forum & help site for more information!

Bilhah Bilhah from Ona
On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 08:57 AM, "Brian Gathua" <kiragu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Ona Team,

I'm getting the below error when trying to replace my form.
Please help.

expected string or bytes-like object

Your file should have the .xls .xlsx, .xml file extension because Ona uses XLS Forms to create forms.

Regards.
Kiragu Gathua
Upande Limited --
Collect, Analyze and Share Data - https://ona.io/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ona Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ona-community/bf45e176-648b-48ec-b25b-a285b2815fd3n%40googlegroups.com.
intercom

gathua kiragu

Jun 30, 2021, 7:24:05ā€ÆAM6/30/21
to Ona Community
walifik.xlsx

gathua kiragu

Jun 30, 2021, 7:24:29ā€ÆAM6/30/21
to Ona Community
Could'nt fix the issue

Bilhah from Ona

Jun 30, 2021, 11:47:03ā€ÆAM6/30/21
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com

This message was sent to the following 2 people: Brian Gathua, ona-co...@googlegroups.com. Replying to this email will notify them.

Hello Briann,

Please share the XLSForm so that we can test it on our end.

Regards,
ļ»æBilhah

See our community forum & help site for more information!

Bilhah Bilhah from Ona

Could'nt fix the issue

[...]

Bilhah from Ona

gathua kiragu

Jul 5, 2021, 10:06:57ā€ÆAM7/5/21
to Ona Community
Hi Bilha,
Please find the xls form attached.
Thanks
southern (1).xlsx

Bilhah from Ona

Jul 6, 2021, 2:55:45ā€ÆAM7/6/21
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com

This message was sent to the following 2 people: Brian Gathua, ona-co...@googlegroups.com. Replying to this email will notify them.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for sharing the XLSForm. We will troubleshoot it from our end and get back to you as soon as possible. Please note XLSForm issues sometimes take longer than anticipated, but we will do our best to get back to you soon.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 05:07 PM, "Brian Gathua" <kiragu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bilha,
Please find the xls form attached.
Thanks

Attachments icon southern (1).xlsx
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 06:46 PM, "Bilhah Kimondiu" <bilhah....@ona.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

[...]

Bilhah from Ona

Jul 6, 2021, 12:04:05ā€ÆPM7/6/21
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com

This message was sent to the following 2 people: Brian Gathua, ona-co...@googlegroups.com. Replying to this email will notify them.

Hello Brian,

We have been able to resolve the form issue. The error was happening because the form only had language column header names for Portuguese and not for English i.e. we had label::Portuguese (pt) and no label::English(en). Please find the updated XLSForm attached.

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 09:55 AM, "Bilhah Kimondiu" <bilhah....@ona.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

[...]

Cristobal mingo

May 5, 2022, 12:46:58ā€ÆPM5/5/22
to Ona Community
Hi Bilhah!
I have the same error, and have tried both suggested solutions:
-no spaces in the name columns in the choices and survey sheets
-languages (single language form)

the error is related to the choice_filter column (in the survey sheet), when i upload the form without them its accepted
Thanks for your help
Call_back_survey_helpline.xlsx

George from Ona

May 6, 2022, 3:18:10ā€ÆAM5/6/22
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com

This message was sent to the following 2 people: cristobal mingo, ona-co...@googlegroups.com. Replying to this email will notify them.

Hi Christobal,

George here.
ļ»æ
ļ»æKindly send over the XLSForm so I can take a closer look at it to try and diagnose the issue.
ļ»æ
ļ»æRegards.

George George from Ona

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:49 AM, "Bilhah Kimondiu" <bilhah....@ona.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

[...]

Attachments icon Call_back_survey_helpline.xlsx
intercom

Cristobal mingo

May 6, 2022, 7:53:15ā€ÆAM5/6/22
to Ona Community
UPS! Sorry I though I had shared in the past message here again.
The data set where it pulls data from is also attached.

The issue I suspect is in the Choice filter, when I upload the form without them it works fine, if it has the choice filters in rows 30-34 I get the error " expected string or bytes-like object"Ā

Thanks for your help!

HelplineDataset.csv
Helpline_Callback_survey_search v3.xls

George from Ona

May 6, 2022, 9:09:25ā€ÆAM5/6/22
to ona-co...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Christobal,
ļ»æ
ļ»æWe are in receipt of the form and will attempt to troubleshoot it. Kindly note that XLSForm troubleshooting can take time so please bear with us.

Regards,

George.

George George from Ona
On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 02:53 PM, "cristobal mingo" <cmj...@gmail.com> wrote:

UPS! Sorry I though I had shared in the past message here again.

The data set where it pulls data from is also attached.

The issue I suspect is in the Choice filter, when I upload the form without them it works fine, if it has the choice filters in rows 30-34 I get the error " expected string or bytes-like object"

Thanks for your help!

Attachments icon HelplineDataset.csv
Attachments icon Helpline_Callback_survey_search v3.xls
On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 10:18 AM, "George Kiiru Kamau" <george.ki...@ona.intercom-mail.com> wrote:

Hi Christobal,

George here.
ļ»æ
ļ»æKindly send over the XLSForm so I can take a closer look at it to try and diagnose the issue.
ļ»æ
ļ»æRegards.

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 07:47 PM, "cristobal mingo" <cmj...@gmail.com> wrote:
intercom

Cristobal mingo

May 12, 2022, 3:35:44ā€ÆAM5/12/22
to Ona Community
Thank you!
I understand, and your help would be much appreciated!
particularly understanding how to solve it in the future.

Luqman Durojaiye

May 22, 2022, 1:20:00ā€ÆPM5/22/22
to Ona Community
In the case of Cristobal mingo, i realized that in the choices sheet of the excel you shared, row 99 has no label. When you put label (for example non), the form is uploaded successfully without theĀ  expected string or bytes-like object error!

i hope this helps.