Moderator Vacancy Announcement/Investigation: comp.lang.asm.x86

nathan...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2009, 1:52:38 AM4/19/09
Moderator Vacancy Announcement/Investigation (MVA/MVI)
COMP.LANG.ASM.X86 (CLAX)

This is a formal Moderator Vacancy Announcement/Investigation (MVA/
MVI),
begun because the moderated newsgroup comp.lang.asm.x86 (c.l.a.x) is
not
functioning, and has lost its moderator. This investigation will
attempt to verify the reasons for non-function [the Stump software at
crayne.org is failing to inject approved posts into the NNTP servers
at
pacificsites.com], and may result in the removal of the group [a
formal
Removal RFD will be posted], the unmoderation of the group, or the
selection and installation of a new moderator.

VOLUNTEER REQUEST:

As you know, we're looking for a moderator for the comp.lang.asm.x86
newsgroup.

Some background on the job: moderating a newsgroup requires that
somebody involved have a fair technical background, both to get the
software up and running and to maintain it. Moderation can be run by
single individual, or by a team of moderators, depending on the
software
chosen. And the software can be set up to require hand-approval for
each post, to be entirely controlled by the robot, or somewhere in
between.

Non-technically, moderators are expected to be impartial and fair;
they effectively own the group in question, and with that comes some
level of responsibility. Within those bounds, the rules are pretty
flexible; as long as you can maintain a user-base, you're probably
doing
fine.

Now then - all of that said, I suspect that your best bet would be
to work out a team moderation plan. Most posts would be auto-approved
by the 'bot; those that weren't would be looked after by your team of
moderators, and approved as quickly as reasonably possible. For this,
you would need to decide:

- Who's going to participate. It doesn't have to be all of
you,
and it doesn't have to *just* be you.

- How you want the software to run. I can offer suggestions
if
you'd like, but I'd prefer that you discussed it among
yourselves first.

- Who's going to actually run the software.

All of this may be a fair topic for discussion on news.groups,
instead of just amongst yourselves. Mind, you should keep a private
mailing list running [one has been setup at SourceForge for this
purpose], so you don't get bogged down in news.groups if you don't
have
to.

You probably want to review the old moderation policies, for
reference:

[Copied from Part I Subject 3.1 of the x86 Assembly Language FAQ]

,---
The moderated newsgroup comp.lang.asm.x86 will be open to discussions
on
all topics related to assembly language and low-level programming on
any
machine using a x86 processor or its clones. Appropriate topics would
include, but not be limited to:

Assembly language code tips, tricks, and techniques.
MASM, TASM, and other commercial assemblers
NASM, and other non-commercial assemblers
Graphics, sound, and other hardware programming
Assembly language related utilities commercial/share/free-ware
Linking assembly language with other languages
Inline x86 programming utilizing assembly emulators in higher level
languages
Propagation of non-commercial Internet x86 resources
Any question/discussion of the direct programming of the x86
Etc...

Topics that will be filtered are:

Flames about "{Language X} is {better/worse} than ASM"
Flames like "{Assembler 1} is {better/worse} than {Assembler 2}"
Flames, personal attacks, insults, etc.
HLL code, except when used for low-level hardware programming.
Product comparisons except when presented in an unbiased fashion.
Advertisements unrelated to assembly programming or utilities.
Posts in languages other than English will be examined for approval
if any of the moderators can read the language in question. There
is no guarantee of approval for a post in any language other than
English.

Posting to comp.lang.asm.x86, a moderated newsgroup, is not any
different for you as posting to an unmoderated newsgroup. When you
are
finished composing your post just send it as you normally do. Your
ISP’s news server will send the post to the moderator’s e-mail
address.
Once approved, the moderator will post it. Therefore, you will not
see
your postings immediately in the newsgroup. It should take no longer
than a day or so to see it.
`---

RATIONALE:

The comp.lang.asm.x86 moderator, Charles A. Crayne, unexpectedly
passed
away in February of this year. The newsgroup continued to function in
a nearly normal manner (until now) due to his wife kindly leaving the
server running and the work of his assistant moderator, Jim Carlock,
continuing to remotely manage the group. However, even with the
additional kind assistance of Frank Kotler, the Stump robo-moderator
software at the Crayne household has recently failed to perform the
desired duties. Unless we are able to find someone with the necessary
will, resources, and requirements for the moderator post, the
newsgroup
should be requested for removal or unmoderation.

HISTORY:

The comp.lang.asm.x86 newsgroup was created based upon voting on a
Request for Discussion (RFD). It seems to have gotten its start in
September of 1994.

A few relevant links:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.asm.x86/about
http://www.frontiernet.net/~fys/faq/index.htm
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/comp/comp.lang.asm.x86.html

PROCEDURE:

As enumerated at: http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?idpolicies:m
vi

First, determine that a vacancy exists. The following links should be
sufficient:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.lang.asm/browse_frm/thread/324ecb5b71f
b606b#
http://file770.com/?cat 1

Second, place the group under interim management. This has been the
case since the middle of February due to the diligence of Jim Carlock,
remote assistant moderator, and, more recently, Frank Kotler.
However,
as stated earlier [the Stump software at crayne.org is failing to
inject
approved posts into the NNTP servers at pacificsites.com], this
arrangement is not satisfactory.

Third, find a more permanent solution. Specifically:

We can appoint a new moderator.
We can convert the group to unmoderated status.
We can remove the group.
But, we cannot leave the group under robo-moderation.

CHARTER:

The CLAX charter is available at the X86 Assembly Language FAQ links
listed above and has already been quoted in this MVA/MVI text.

PROPONENT:

Nathan C. Baker nathancbaker at gmail dot com

DISTRIBUTION:

This document has been posted to the following:

news.announce.newgroups (moderated)
news.groups.proposals (moderated)
alt.lang.asm (unmoderated)
moderator...@isc.org

CHANGE HISTORY:

2009-04-19 MVA/MVI NCB

nathan...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2009, 6:47:42 PM4/19/09
On Apr 19, 1:52 am, nathancba...@gmail.com wrote:
> Moderator Vacancy Announcement/Investigation (MVA/MVI)
> COMP.LANG.ASM.X86 (CLAX)

Previous Discussion on c.l.a.x moderation consideration:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.lang.asm/browse_frm/thread/bd0a21eb8329d1a1#
http://groups.google.com/group/news.groups.proposals/browse_frm/thread/fc65e3c50232cb7b#

Current "chit-chat" on the subject; plus Jim Carlock's announcement as
canidate for the position:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.lang.asm/browse_frm/thread/2ef7531b07367321#

Nathan.

nathan...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2009, 6:47:27 PM4/19/09
On Apr 19, 1:52 am, nathancba...@gmail.com wrote:
> Moderator Vacancy Announcement/Investigation (MVA/MVI)
> COMP.LANG.ASM.X86 (CLAX)
>
> VOLUNTEER REQUEST:
>
> ...[snippage]...

>   All of this may be a fair topic for discussion on news.groups,
> instead of just amongst yourselves.  Mind, you should keep a private
> mailing list running [one has been setup at SourceForge for this
> purpose], so you don't get bogged down in news.groups if you don't
> have to.

In the interest of "covering all our bases," the above mentioned
mailing list {it is "hitchhiking" on the HLA-StdLib project space,
sorry... didn't want to intrude on SF resources by starting a new
project for the purpose of a listserv that will likely not even be
used} is available here:

I believe that I read somewhere on the big-8.org wiki that someone
from n.a.n might be able to post the above mailing list link to
comp.lang.asm.x86 in the event that the Proponent is unable to do
so?? Also, would it be possible for someone to CC the MVA/MVI to
c.l.a.x on my behalf?

Any help is much appreciated!

Nathan.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 19, 2009, 10:13:08 PM4/19/09
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:47:27 CST, nathan...@gmail.com wrote in
<08aec491-a1bb-4843...@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>:

>I believe that I read somewhere on the big-8.org wiki that someone
>from n.a.n might be able to post the above mailing list link to
>comp.lang.asm.x86 in the event that the Proponent is unable to do
>so?? Also, would it be possible for someone to CC the MVA/MVI to
>c.l.a.x on my behalf?

As far as is humanly possible, we'd like to avoid
forging approvals.

It's a last resort if all of the moderators are truly
gone.

I had the impression that there was at least one
assistant moderator left, although without sufficient
access to the moderation site to work through the
current relay.

An approval tacked on to a post by that moderator would
be less offensive than one made by the board or by random
members of clax--or so it seems to me (personal opinion,
not a policy statement).

Marty
--
Co-chair of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB) <http://www.big-8.org>
Unless otherwise indicated, I speak for myself, not for the Board.

Jim Carlock

Apr 19, 2009, 11:13:27 PM4/19/09
"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" <mol...@canisius.edu> wrote...
: I had the impression that there was at least one
: assistant moderator left, although without sufficient
: access to the moderation site to work through the
: current relay.
:

I am the last assistant moderator. I do not have control of
moderation any longer. Messages no longer get approved and
no longer appear to get sent via the STUMP configuration that
currently runs.

I'd like to do what I can to take over the comp.lang.asm.x86
newsgroup.

: As far as is humanly possible, we'd like to avoid
: forging approvals.
:

I understand I'd need an email address configured to handle
this and that I'd need to be able to attach the "Approved:"
message header to be able to get the posts to get posted.

What I'm lacking at this current moment, involves getting the
attempted messages to come to a configured email address and
then I would need to know an email address to forward the
"Approved:" messages to.

I'm prepared to write some software, having written some minor
instant messaging software in the past, it's not too difficult
to open an appropriate port for TCP connection through which
messages could be delivered. I currently run an SMTP with that
port open and it receives multiple hundreds of messages a day
already for at least four domain names.

If there's a domain name involved, I'll need a way to control
that domain name and find out what it is. I currently resell
domain names and hold an account for doing such. But I'll need
to know more. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/contact/

Frank Kotler

Apr 20, 2009, 2:28:35 AM4/20/09
nathan...@gmail.com wrote:

[snip]

> The comp.lang.asm.x86 moderator, Charles A. Crayne, unexpectedly
> passed
> away in February of this year. The newsgroup continued to function in
> a nearly normal manner (until now) due to his wife kindly leaving the
> server running and the work of his assistant moderator, Jim Carlock,
> continuing to remotely manage the group. However, even with the
> additional kind assistance of Frank Kotler, the Stump robo-moderator
> software at the Crayne household has recently failed to perform the
> desired duties. Unless we are able to find someone with the necessary
> will, resources, and requirements for the moderator post, the
> newsgroup
> should be requested for removal or unmoderation.

I fully support Jim Carlock as moderator of comp.lang.asm.x86. Perhaps,
as assistant moderator, he already *is* the moderator, and we just need
the "relay address" changed(?). I would be willing to take on the task,
but my ISP is Fairpoint... They promise to fix their problems, but
"when" is a trade secret:

http://www.wmur.com/news/19217542/detail.html

(You couldn't make this stuff up!) So I doubt my ability to moderate
clax reliably. My address could change to "chapter11.net" at any time. :)

So if Jim is willing, I'll help him be "able" to the best of my ability.
I haven't been too much help so far... we're educating each other as we
go along... He's got my vote... and I propose you join us on the
moderation team, Nathan... I think you already have. :) Thanks!

Best,
Frank

nathan...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2009, 2:26:11 AM4/20/09
On Apr 19, 10:13 pm, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ" <mole...@canisius.edu>
wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:47:27 CST, nathancba...@gmail.com wrote in
> <08aec491-a1bb-4843-a822-e886544cd...@m19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>:

> >I believe that I read somewhere on the big-8.org wiki that someone
> >from n.a.n might be able to post the above mailing list link to
> >comp.lang.asm.x86 in the event that the Proponent is unable to do
> >so??  Also, would it be possible for someone to CC the MVA/MVI to
> >c.l.a.x on my behalf?
>
> As far as is humanly possible, we'd like to avoid
> forging approvals.
>
> It's a last resort if all of the moderators are truly
> gone.

Thank you, Marty, for this answer.

Jim: It is not important for the MVA to appear on CLAX. Several of
the c.l.a.x regulars have expressed their wish on the thread....

newsgroup: alt.lang.asm
subject: Nathan's MVA/MVI
start date: Apr 19, 3:55 am
link:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.lang.asm/browse_frm/thread/2ef7531b07367321#

...which satisfies my desire to have their voice heard. I hereby
formally recommend that the current assistant moderator, Jim Carlock,
be allowed to be installed as moderator for the comp.lang.asm.x86
newsgroup. As further evidence of community confidence/support for
Jim, I submit the announcement of Jim's ascent to assistant moderator:

newsgroup: comp.lang.asm.x86
subject: Jim Carlock joins moderation panel
start date: Jul 19 2007, 9:52 pm
link:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.asm.x86/browse_frm/thread/58f7d73817eb1d45/

Nathan.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 20, 2009, 2:29:36 AM4/20/09
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:13:27 CST, "Jim Carlock" <jcar...@NOSPAM.microcosmotalk.com> wrote in
<49ebcb29$0$27939$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>:

>I am the last assistant moderator. I do not have control of
>moderation any longer. Messages no longer get approved and
>no longer appear to get sent via the STUMP configuration that
>currently runs.

>I'd like to do what I can to take over the comp.lang.asm.x86
>newsgroup.

Sounds like a plan to me.

>: As far as is humanly possible, we'd like to avoid
>: forging approvals.

>I understand I'd need an email address configured to handle
>this and that I'd need to be able to attach the "Approved:"
>message header to be able to get the posts to get posted.

Yes. Since you are the last moderator standing, this
would not constitute forgery.

And if you want to name someone as a co-moderator, neither
would their self-approved posts be forgery.

>What I'm lacking at this current moment, involves getting the
>attempted messages to come to a configured email address and
>then I would need to know an email address to forward the
>"Approved:" messages to.

Not an e-mail address.

The properly formatted post with the approved header is
sent to a news server.

>I'm prepared to write some software, having written some minor
>instant messaging software in the past, it's not too difficult
>to open an appropriate port for TCP connection through which
>messages could be delivered. I currently run an SMTP with that
>port open and it receives multiple hundreds of messages a day
>already for at least four domain names.

Sounds like you're in a good position to cobble together
your own moderation system. All you need is some practical
details about what an approved post looks like for your
scripts and then to have the ISC change the relay from the
old moderation site to your new site.

>If there's a domain name involved, I'll need a way to control
>that domain name and find out what it is. I currently resell
>domain names and hold an account for doing such. But I'll need
>to know more. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

No domain name necessary, except insofar as you might want
to doll up your submission address by having a clax domain.
Any e-mail address you want to use to receive submissions is
OK.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 20, 2009, 1:31:32 PM4/20/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 00:26:11 CST, nathan...@gmail.com wrote in
<1823f334-dfcd-4d7e...@x5g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>:

>Jim: It is not important for the MVA to appear on CLAX. Several of
>the c.l.a.x regulars have expressed their wish on the thread....

>newsgroup: alt.lang.asm
>subject: Nathan's MVA/MVI
>start date: Apr 19, 3:55 am
>link:
>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.lang.asm/browse_frm/thread/2ef7531b07367321#

>...which satisfies my desire to have their voice heard. I hereby
>formally recommend that the current assistant moderator, Jim Carlock,
>be allowed to be installed as moderator for the comp.lang.asm.x86
>newsgroup. As further evidence of community confidence/support for
>Jim, I submit the announcement of Jim's ascent to assistant moderator:

>newsgroup: comp.lang.asm.x86
>subject: Jim Carlock joins moderation panel
>start date: Jul 19 2007, 9:52 pm
>link:
>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.asm.x86/browse_frm/thread/58f7d73817eb1d45/

This confirms that Jim **IS** the surviving moderator of the
group. Thanks for the links to the threads as evidence of
this fact.

The crucial step to go forward is for Jim to decide how he
is going to handle the duties of moderator. As I understand
it, he wants to change the submission address to:

comp-lan...@microcosmotalk.com

When that change is made in the ISC lists, he should start
getting the incoming posts for the group e-mailed to that
address.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 20, 2009, 1:31:55 PM4/20/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 00:28:35 CST, Frank Kotler <fbko...@verizon.net> wrote in <z%QGl.1063$N5....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>:

>I fully support Jim Carlock as moderator of comp.lang.asm.x86. Perhaps,
>as assistant moderator, he already *is* the moderator, and we just need
>the "relay address" changed(?).

You and I are agreed on both points.

Jim is the moderator and he needs the relay address changed.

This page provides some ideas about what a "relay address" is
and how it it used by the moderation system:

http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:moderation

>So if Jim is willing, I'll help him be "able" to the best of my ability.
>I haven't been too much help so far... we're educating each other as we
>go along... He's got my vote... and I propose you join us on the
>moderation team, Nathan... I think you already have. :) Thanks!

Jim is, for all practical purposes, the owner of the group.
As with the original moderator, he may appoint whom he wishes
to be part of the moderation team. The board will not
interfere with such decisions by a moderator.

Kathy Morgan

Apr 20, 2009, 2:21:53 PM4/20/09
Jim Carlock <jcar...@NOSPAM.microcosmotalk.com> wrote:

> I am the last assistant moderator. I do not have control of
> moderation any longer. Messages no longer get approved and
> no longer appear to get sent via the STUMP configuration that
> currently runs.
>
> I'd like to do what I can to take over the comp.lang.asm.x86
> newsgroup.
>
> : As far as is humanly possible, we'd like to avoid
> : forging approvals.
>
> I understand I'd need an email address configured to handle
> this and that I'd need to be able to attach the "Approved:"
> message header to be able to get the posts to get posted.
>
> What I'm lacking at this current moment, involves getting the
> attempted messages to come to a configured email address and
> then I would need to know an email address to forward the
> "Approved:" messages to.

That's mostly correct. Once you've added the "Approved: " header, you
don't send it in email; instead, you post it to news.

> If there's a domain name involved, I'll need a way to control
> that domain name and find out what it is. I currently resell
> domain names and hold an account for doing such. But I'll need
> to know more. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

You don't need to have a domain name. You just need email accounts for
receiving the submissions and administrative emails, and a news posting
account where you're allowed to post the approved messages.

Assuming that you can get that set up, and assuming that the B8MB
approves you as the new moderator, it is a simple thing for the B8MB to
notify group-r...@isc.org of the new submission address.

As a short term solution, you might want to try DMod, a free moderation
program available at <http://www.netwinsite.com/dfree/dmod.htm>. I'm
not sure I'd want to use it long term for a group with high traffic, but
for low-traffic groups or short term it would certainly work and the
price is right. You could download it, set it up, and use it to repost
the Moderator Vacancy Announcement/Investigation to see how it works.
(More details in private email.)

--
Kathy, speaking just for myself

Paul W. Schleck

Apr 20, 2009, 3:43:46 PM4/20/09

Jim,

I think it's commendable that the readers of your newsgroup, including
the last remaining assistant moderator, are motivated to keep their
newsgroup going, and are seeking possible solutions.

I'm joining this conversation in progress, so pardon me if I'm missing
some unspoken assumptions from previous or off-line planning. I assume
that the option of keeping the original STUMP bot at crayne.org running,
and somehow debugging and repairing it, has been pruned out of
consideration as a long-term solution, possibly because no one has the
login, or possibly because no one remaining is familiar with STUMP, or
possibly even because the team would like to move off of a site with
unknown future remaining availability.

The following is an outstanding information resource that allowed
members of our moderation team, including those without moderation
experience, get quickly up to speed on the technical specifics of how
Usenet newsgroup moderation is implemented and managed:

http://www.landfield.com/usenet/moderators/handbook/modtoc.html

Unfortunately, www.landfield.com is not responding this morning, and may
be permanently down. Did anyone mirror or archive a copy of this? The
Internet Archive Wayback Machine has a copy:

http://www.archive.org (search for the exact landfield.com URL above)

but the Big-8 Board might want to consider explicitly mirroring it at
their site, particularly since the document says that it is for
unlimited distribution.

Based on personal experience, and the experiences of other moderation
teams, I would like to respectfully caution you on the pitfalls of
choosing a solution that is too simple, and may not scale or be easily
configurable or remotely controlled, leading to eventual failure. Sure,
moderated newsgroups are easy in their conceptualization, until you
start having to deal with matters like reliable server hosting, SPAM and
viruses, forgeries, binary or HTML submissions, changes to the
moderation team, remote configuration and monitoring, and
single-threaded points of failure. Or even just the ongoing hassles
over years of doing the same thing over and over and over leading to
monotony, mistakes, and delayed or dropped articles.

Even if you don't want to use the STUMP installation at crayne.org, you
might still want to consider using STUMP and WebSTUMP:

http://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/stump/

WebSTUMP is a remotely-accessible Web interface to the STUMP moderation
bot, including article approval/rejection, and configuration. Members
of your team, including those with little or no moderation experience,
can easily moderate your newsgroup by pushing buttons on a web
interface. Team members can be easily added by setting them up with a
login to WebSTUMP.

It is a bit tricky to set up, and has a few interesting failure/error
modes if you are not careful in that setup, but should be stable once
properly configured. The documentation is a bit ambiguous, and has a
few identified errors. The author has not updated the current free
download version since about 1999, and has not incorporated updates such
as the latest versions of PGP, including Gnu Privacy Guard (GPG), for
PGPMoose signing to detect forgeries.

The author will provide STUMP and WebSTUMP in a turnkey hosted
environment at his site for $360/year ("ReadySTUMP"), and set it up for
your specific newsgroup(s). Some teams have gone this route, but you
may find it a bit expensive if alternatives exist.

One alternative, that is similarly turnkey, is an enhanced and updated
version of STUMP and WebSTUMP that is used by the community of Usenet
newsgroup moderation teams that are hosted at Public Access Internet and
Unix, NYC (Panix.com). Unlike the original 1999 STUMP, the Panix-hosted
teams' STUMP has been updated to use GPG, and has enhancements like
remote notification and monitoring, MIME conversion to plain text, as
well as SPAM and Virus filtering. At least five different moderation
teams, including ours, use this version, some for over 2 years now. The
software can be provided and set up for free in a Panix shell account.
Submission and administrative contact E-mail addresses, as well as the
URL for the WebSTUMP page, will be in the panix.com domain. Panix has
been in business since 1989, and likely will be for some years to come.
Ongoing technical assistance is available from the other moderation
teams for STUMP-specific questions, and from the Panix staff and panix.*
newsgroups for Panix-specific questions.

The cost to you for this solution would be $100/year for the Panix shell
account, and may be cost-competitive with other options, particularly if
shared over a large team. This money goes to Panix, not the moderation
teams. We have no affiliation with Panix except as satisfied customers.
Our assistance is free. Please let us know if you are interested in
pursing this option.

Alternatively, if you wish to use the enhanced and updated Panix hosted
teams' version of STUMP/WebSTUMP, but on your own server, some
assistance can be provided for that option, also.

- --
Paul W. Schleck (rec.radio.amateur.moderated/rec.radio.info)
psch...@novia.net
http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger psch...@novia.net for PGP Public Key

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 20, 2009, 7:40:08 PM4/20/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:43:46 CST, "Paul W. Schleck" <psch...@novia.net> wrote in <49ecabb1$0$5701$540e...@novia.net>:

>The following is an outstanding information resource that allowed
>members of our moderation team, including those without moderation
>experience, get quickly up to speed on the technical specifics of how
>Usenet newsgroup moderation is implemented and managed:

>http://www.landfield.com/usenet/moderators/handbook/modtoc.html

>Unfortunately, www.landfield.com is not responding this morning, and may
>be permanently down. Did anyone mirror or archive a copy of this? The
>Internet Archive Wayback Machine has a copy:

>http://www.archive.org (search for the exact landfield.com URL above)

>but the Big-8 Board might want to consider explicitly mirroring it at
>their site, particularly since the document says that it is for
>unlimited distribution.

I've started archiving it just now, at your suggestion.

It's a very large collection of material. Let me get
it downloaded first, then I'll think about how to make
it available.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 20, 2009, 9:54:44 PM4/20/09
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:43:46 CST, "Paul W. Schleck" <psch...@novia.net> wrote in <49ecabb1$0$5701$540e...@novia.net>:

>The following is an outstanding information resource that allowed
>members of our moderation team, including those without moderation
>experience, get quickly up to speed on the technical specifics of how
>Usenet newsgroup moderation is implemented and managed:

>http://www.landfield.com/usenet/moderators/handbook/modtoc.html

>Unfortunately, www.landfield.com is not responding this morning, and may
>be permanently down. Did anyone mirror or archive a copy of this? The
>Internet Archive Wayback Machine has a copy:

>http://www.archive.org (search for the exact landfield.com URL above)

OK, I've put up a working copy on my vanity site:

http://moleski.net/newsgroups/landfield/

At a guess, some of the links will need updating.

Time to get away from the keyboard ...

Jim Carlock

Apr 26, 2009, 5:24:07 PM4/26/09
I'm willing to work through this and get things fully functional on
my end. I currently have a few questions.

(1) Example email addresses...

example.com ends up as a valid domain name, but it gets employed for
documentation purposes. I've been using it for a wide variety of
things. I need to get all this figured out and find out what's right
and what's not right.

I've used things like the following and I'm not sure that it's proper.

jcar...@example.com
Change the example domain name to microcosmotalk.com to contact me.

I do NOT believe that's proper, so I tried the following:

jcar...@NOSPAM.example.com
Delete the NOSPAM and change example.com to microcosmotalk.com.

And again I'm not certain that's proper or OK.

(2) MyPoderator presents some problems. It works well enough, but I've
ended up with a couple hacks and it fails to work 100% completely on
my own machine.

Has anyone configured this PyModerator scripting application and can I
ask how the "Manage", "Login Fields..." gets configured?

How would the "Manage", "Server Info..." get configured?

I keep running into a 441 error where I get messages indicating that
the POST ends up as 100% headers and no body.

Thank you if you can provide any suggestions or help in regards to
this scripting application.

--
Jim Carlock
jcar...@NOSPAM.microcosmotalk.com
Fix the NOSPAM/MUNGED as needed to contact me.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Apr 26, 2009, 8:51:13 PM4/26/09
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:24:07 CST, "Jim Carlock" <jcar...@MUNGED.microcosmotalk.com> wrote in
<49f4b469$0$7896$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>:

>I've used things like the following and I'm not sure that it's proper.
>
>jcar...@example.com
>Change the example domain name to microcosmotalk.com to contact me.
>
>I do NOT believe that's proper, so I tried the following:
>
>jcar...@NOSPAM.example.com
>Delete the NOSPAM and change example.com to microcosmotalk.com.
>
>And again I'm not certain that's proper or OK.

I've never learned how to construct a proper invalid address
myself.

Some hints here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_munging

And here:

http://www.2kevin.net/munging.html

some_nym@any_prefix.invalid should be a truly invalid
address:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.invalid

On the other hand, http://invalid.com seems to be a real domain.

Kathy Morgan

Apr 27, 2009, 10:58:39 AM4/27/09
Martin X. Moleski, SJ <mol...@canisius.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 15:24:07 CST, "Jim Carlock"
> <jcar...@MUNGED.microcosmotalk.com> wrote in
> <49f4b469$0$7896$9a6e...@unlimited.newshosting.com>:
>
> >I've used things like the following and I'm not sure that it's proper.
> >
> >jcar...@example.com
> >Change the example domain name to microcosmotalk.com to contact me.
> >
> >I do NOT believe that's proper, so I tried the following:
> >
> >jcar...@NOSPAM.example.com
> >Delete the NOSPAM and change example.com to microcosmotalk.com.
> >
> >And again I'm not certain that's proper or OK.

Either of those is okay in the sense that you are not forging a real
address that belongs to someone else. example.com will never be
assigned to a real address, so you can use it safely and be assured that
you're not now or in future accidentally forging someone else's address.
"example" is a reserved second level domain name that won't ever be
assigned. The same is true of any address that ends in .invalid;
.invalid is a top level domain that will never be assigned to anyone.

On the other hand, using a munged address makes it harder for people to
communicate by sending a reply in email, so it's not proper in that
sense. On the other other hand, we've all gotten tired of spam email
and can sympathize with the reason for munging an address.

One thing you can do to reduce the frustrations of others legitimately
trying to contact you is to put a valid address in the "Reply-To: "
header. The Reply-To is on rare occasions harvested by spammers, but
usually is not for technical reasons. If you expose a valid address on a
web page it is far more likely to be harvested by spammers than by
putting it in the Reply-To header of a news posting.

> some_nym@any_prefix.invalid should be a truly invalid
> address:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.invalid
>
> On the other hand, http://invalid.com seems to be a real domain.

Yes; the top level domain name .invalid is reserved, but the second
level "invalid." is not.

--
Kathy