Is there any software functionality in the new iPhone 11 that isn't already in an average 5-year old Android phone?

Arlen G. Holder

Sep 9, 2019, 8:48:05 PM9/9/19
Is there ANY new software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?
o iPhone 11 (ditching the iPhone XR)
o iPhone 11 Pro (ditching the iPhone XS)
o iPhone 11 Pro Max (ditching the iPhone XS Max)
<https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in>

o How to trade in your old iPhone in preparation for iPhone 11
<https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/09/how-to-trade-in-or-recycle-your-old-iphone-in-preparation-for-iphone-11/>
o iPhone 8 (Apple will take it off your hands for a $205 Apple gift card)
o iPhone X (Apple says it's less than half you paid, $400 Apple Gift Card)
o iPhone XS (Apple, apparently, won't even trade it in, it's that worthless?)
<https://trade-in.9to5mac.com/#preiphone11>

While Apple customers are lining up at the Apple store for the first chance
they can get to ditch their existing phones, the rumor mill on the new
software functionality seems much like an advertisement for a five year old
used Android phone.
o Apple scantily improved FaceID (big deal, it's just a marketing gimmick)
o Apple tries to catch up with existing Android phones on the camera system
o Apple slightly speeds up the processor (always remember throttling games)
o iOS 13 diarrhea will include a "dark mode" (which is nothing special)
o iOS 13 diarrhea allows users to block callers (again, big deal)
o iOS 13 diarrhea includes swipe to text (finally, after all these years)
o That's it?

o The iPhone rumors you should know ahead of Apple's big event
<https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/tech/iphone-11-rumors/index.html>

That's it?
o Really?

Is there ANY software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?

--
Hint: Don't even _think_ of modern functionality, like 5G.

Alan Baker

Sep 9, 2019, 9:08:20 PM9/9/19
On 2019-09-09 5:48 p.m., Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> Is there ANY new software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
> that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?

That would you YOUR claim to support, wouldn't it?

> o iPhone 11 (ditching the iPhone XR)
> o iPhone 11 Pro (ditching the iPhone XS)
> o iPhone 11 Pro Max (ditching the iPhone XS Max)
> <https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in>

None of that is supported by anything more than speculation, nor does
any of it support your (implicit) claim.

Do you need the word "implicit" explained to you?

> o How to trade in your old iPhone in preparation for iPhone 11
> <https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/09/how-to-trade-in-or-recycle-your-old-iphone-in-preparation-for-iphone-11/>

How does that support your claim?

> o iPhone 8 (Apple will take it off your hands for a $205 Apple gift card)

Okay. Same question.

> o iPhone X (Apple says it's less than half you paid, $400 Apple Gift Card)

Okay. Same question.

> o iPhone XS (Apple, apparently, won't even trade it in, it's that worthless?)
> <https://trade-in.9to5mac.com/#preiphone11>

Apple doesn't offer trade-ins on their most current devices. Okay.

HOW DOES THAT SUPPORT YOUR CLAIM?

> While Apple customers are lining up at the Apple store for the first chance
> they can get to ditch their existing phones, the rumor mill on the new
> software functionality seems much like an advertisement for a five year old
> used Android phone.

The "rumor mill"? And is the "rumor mill" always accurate?

> o Apple scantily improved FaceID (big deal, it's just a marketing gimmick)

Your assertions aren't support.

> o Apple tries to catch up with existing Android phones on the camera system

A camera isn't "software functionality".

> o Apple slightly speeds up the processor (always remember throttling games)

Also not software.

> o iOS 13 diarrhea will include a "dark mode" (which is nothing special)

Which doesn't address your claim.

> o iOS 13 diarrhea allows users to block callers (again, big deal)

'How to block numbers on an iPhone
Let's start with the easier task. Blocking a phone number on an iPhone
running iOS 7 or later is simple.'

<https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/block-number-iphone-3457215/>

Realizing your complete ignorance, I'll let you know that iOS 7 was
released in September 2013.

> o iOS 13 diarrhea includes swipe to text (finally, after all these years)

What does that even mean?

> o That's it?

I don't know...

...and that means you have less than no clue.

> o The iPhone rumors you should know ahead of Apple's big event
> <https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/09/tech/iphone-11-rumors/index.html>
>
> That's it?
> o Really?
>
> Is there ANY software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
> that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?

Define your terms. What is this mythical "average five year old Android
phone"?

Arlen G. Holder

Sep 9, 2019, 9:33:39 PM9/9/19
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:08:14 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

>> Is there ANY software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
>> that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?
>
> Define your terms. What is this mythical "average five year old Android
> phone"?

Hi Alan Baker,

That's a fair question for me to support the test conditions.

Since I own and have owned BOTH Android & iOS devices for years, we can
easily compare the new software functionality claims in the most expensive
iPhones ever made with my old $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus, on Nougat (Android 7).
o Phablet stocking stuffers: iPhone 7 versus LG Stylo 3 Plus
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/ls71mnkj4jk/n0FaH2e_DQAJ>

> A camera isn't "software functionality".

We've covered iOS' lack of camera SOFTWARE functionality in detail:
o Is there is a *single* useful photographic functionality on Apple iOS cameras that isn't already on Android?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/Ijrtqzt29g4%5B151-175%5D>

But if you wish, we can ask the same question for camera HARDWARE:
o Q: Is there any functional hardware on iPhones not ALREADY on Android?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/Q8zK-6L_Pkw/QfP5cA6QBwAJ>

> Do you need the word "implicit" explained to you?

We already covered the EXPLICIT list of lack of app functionality on iOS:
o Is there a single bit of functionality on iOS that isn't already on Android?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/trNDEOFg-A4%5B101-125%5D>

This question is simply to see if Apple has yet to catch up to a $130 old
Android phone in terms of app functionality on even their most horrifically
priced new iPhones being announced tomorrow.

And we covered, in EXPLICIT detail, the lack of best-in-class tools:
o Has Apple ever created a best-in-class iOS app that works OUTSIDE the walled garden?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/cx1caxsBaUc%5B276-300%5D>

> The "rumor mill"? And is the "rumor mill" always accurate?

While I know the likely answer since I've owned iOS devices for many years,
we'll all know the answer, tomorrow...

In summary, the main question is whether the new spate of iPhones has
ANYTHING that isn't already on any old Android phone such as my wonderful
but aging $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus (whose functionality kills my iPads).

--
Ignoring advanced functionality like lack of 5G in all iPhones, let's see
if the new spate of horrifically expensive iPhones has even the most basic

Alan Baker

Sep 9, 2019, 9:39:35 PM9/9/19
On 2019-09-09 6:33 p.m., Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:08:14 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
>
>>> Is there ANY software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
>>> that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?
>>
>> Define your terms. What is this mythical "average five year old Android
>> phone"?
>
> Hi Alan Baker,
>
> That's a fair question for me to support the test conditions.

Sorry, but no.

We've discussed this, "Arlen":

If you snip most of what I've written in reply, you're engaging in a
game that civilized adults won't play.

Reply to my post again, and leave in everything.

:-)

Arlen G. Holder

Sep 11, 2019, 1:12:14 PM9/11/19
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:39:31 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> Reply to my post again, and leave in everything.

Adults can do two things, Alan Baker:
1. Comprehend facts (such as what Apple announced yesterday), and,
2. Form logical reasonable assessments of those facts.

To wit, here's a verbatim assessment of facts as reported today:
<https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/why-apples-iphone-11-pro-is-the-safest-iphone-yet/>

"Things are particularly tough for Apple, which hasn't really laid
claim to a significant innovative change in a while. The company is known
for taking existing trends and polishing them up, but more and more of its
features ring like simple imitations of its rivals.

'Apple has not really delivered a revolutionary iPhone since the first
high-speed 3G version with App Store way back in 2008,' said Neil Mawston,
an analyst at Strategy Analytics."

nospam

Sep 11, 2019, 1:54:53 PM9/11/19
In article <qlb9td$f60$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen G. Holder
<arlen.g...@arlenholder.net> wrote:

> Adults can do two things, Alan Baker:
> 1. Comprehend facts (such as what Apple announced yesterday), and,
> 2. Form logical reasonable assessments of those facts.

further demonstrating that you are forever a child.

Alan Baker

Sep 11, 2019, 2:16:28 PM9/11/19
On 2019-09-11 10:12 a.m., Arlen G. Holder wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 18:39:31 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> Reply to my post again, and leave in everything.
>
> Adults can do two things, Alan Baker:

Real adults can do a great deal MORE than two things, "Arlen".

> 1. Comprehend facts (such as what Apple announced yesterday), and,
> 2. Form logical reasonable assessments of those facts.
>
> To wit, here's a verbatim assessment of facts as reported today:
> <https://www.cnet.com/g00/news/why-apples-iphone-11-pro-is-the-safest-iphone-yet/>
>
> "Things are particularly...

And since you've deleted all context, I don't get to reply to what
you've said here in the light of what you've previously said.

Do it over properly.

Arlen Holder

Sep 12, 2019, 10:31:51 AM9/12/19
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:16:27 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:

> Real adults can do a great deal MORE than two things, "Arlen".
> Do it over properly.

Since adults form logical assessments from actual facts...
o It's easy to find cites on the net which bolster what I claim

For example, Engadget, just a few hours ago, echoes my overall assessment:
o These days, Apple is content to follow trends, not set them
<https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/11/apple-iphone-camera-once-great-now-late/>

"Watching this week's Apple event gave me a sense of deja vu. With every
new feature the iPhone maker announced, I felt like shouting something
along the lines of, "The Simpsons already did it!" It felt as if everything
Apple was doing was a riff on something another company had tried and
tested before. Sure, Apple might be taking what others did and (possibly)
making it better (maybe). But the company is also letting others take risks
and innovate in its place, particularly when it comes to photography -- an
area where it used to shine."

nospam

Sep 12, 2019, 1:03:10 PM9/12/19
In article <qldksm$ddn$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@arlinghlder.edu> wrote:

> o It's impossible to find cites on the net which bolster what I claim

ftfy

Alan Baker

Sep 12, 2019, 1:21:33 PM9/12/19
On 2019-09-12 7:31 a.m., Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:16:27 -0700, Alan Baker wrote:
>
>> Real adults can do a great deal MORE than two things, "Arlen".
>> Do it over properly.
>
> Since adults form logical assessments from actual facts...
> o It's easy to find cites on the net which bolster what I claim
>
> For example, Engadget...

Take the full post where I reply to many points:

<ql6t1s$pmv$2...@gioia.aioe.org>

...and reply to that, leaving all context intact.

Arlen Holder

Sep 14, 2019, 1:46:23 PM9/14/19
On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 13:03:09 -0400, nospam wrote:

> ftfy

FACTS:

You don't like facts nospam - because facts aren't what Apple feeds you
o But the fact you don't like facts doesn't change the fact they're facts.

I provide cites in the news backing up every one of my facts & assessments
o It's what adults do.

You apologists have absolutely no adult defense to facts.

o Appleˇs new iPhones are overpriced and behind the times
<https://www.marketwatch.com/story/apples-new-iphones-are-overpriced-and-behind-the-times-2019-09-13>

"Sadly, the latest lineup brings nothing new to the table. Like previous
devices, the iPhone 11 features technology that has been available to
Android users for some time."

"But what about the new triple 12-megapixel camera setup on the iPhone
11 Pro? Cameras seem like the biggest upgrade the iPhone has had in years.
Here, too, Apple came late to the party. While great, theyˇre by no means
better than cameras on some of the already available Android models."

"According to Apple, the telephoto lens on the iPhone 11 Pro is capable
of four times optical zoom. Nice, but Huawei P30 Pro ($746-$790) enables
five times optical zoom on its telephoto lens, as well as 10 times of
whatˇs called hybrid zoom, which is software-augmented. (It looks great.)
The P30 Pro also has a 32-megapixel selfie camera that captures more
details than that of the 12-megapixel iPhone 11."

"The iPhone takes great night shots, but if you want a phone with a
superior nighttime mode, look no further than the Google Pixel 3
($499-$699). Proprietary technology makes sure every night shot comes out
with unmatched detail and color clarity."

"The iPhoneˇs charging speed (at 18 watts) is lower than the Samsung
Galaxy S10ˇs 20W, or optional 45W, charger. Samsungˇs flagship is also
faster at wireless charging, providing 15W of power vs. Appleˇs 7.5W."

"What you donˇt get
When buying an iPhone 11 series, you also get to enjoy the ¨amenities,〃
such as:

 No direct 3.5-millimeter connection for headphones. (You need to use that
annoying dongle.)

 No expansion slots. (The Samsung Galaxy S10 can be expanded to 512
gigabytes.)

 60-hertz screens. (The OnePlus 7 Pro has a 90-Hz screen, and itˇs a trend
other Android phones are likely to follow.)

 No wireless reverse charging, so you canˇt top up your friendˇs phone as
you can with the Huawei P30 Pro, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and some others.

 Apple has cut prices for the cheapest phone in the lineup, but you are
still paying a premium."

nospam

Sep 14, 2019, 1:50:59 PM9/14/19
In article <qlj91e$iam$2...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen...@arlinghlder.edu> wrote:

> I don't like facts

ftfy

Arlen Holder

Sep 14, 2019, 2:08:22 PM9/14/19
On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 13:50:59 -0400, nospam wrote:

> ftfy

What's interesting is that you Apologists have no adult defense to facts.

Adults comprehend basic facts & form logical assessments of those facts
o Adults back up those facts & assessments - by referencing reliable cites.

FACTS & ASSESSMENTS:
o CNN: Apple is playing catch-up. New iPhones won't help
<https://cnnphilippines.com/business/2019/9/11/Apple-iPhone.html>

"Clearly, Apple is playing catchup."

"When it comes to overall technological innovation, others are passing
Apple by"

"Instead of attracting new customers to the Apple ecosystem with
breakthrough innovation, Apple is focusing on preventing its loyal
customers from defecting to Android-based devices."

The reality is that Apple has lost the ability to innovate.
o What Apple retains is the marketing of imaginary innovation!

"At some point, Apple will no doubt bring out iPhones with these
innovations as well. And when it does, it will undoubtedly fire up its
marketing machine to give the impression that Apple has "invented" the 5G
phone or the foldable/bendable screen."

Arlen Holder

Sep 21, 2019, 6:34:13 AM9/21/19
On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 02:06:25 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> There is a good reason to upgrade on day 0:
>
> If things really don't work, you can stil download the 12.4 IPSW and
> install from DFU mode and restore everything from backup.
>
> If you wait longer, then Apple stops signing IOS 12.4 and you are stuck
> with whatecer show stopper problem on IOS 13.
>
> That matters when you have "non standard" computers which are expected
> to interface with your iPhone (older version of OS/applications or non Mac).

Hi JF Mezei,

Since you're not an apologist, an entirely different conversation can
ensue, where my adult argument is DIFFERENT than your adult argument.

Your adult argument is perfectly valid, where you bring up a good point,
which is that, if you update, and if you don't like iOS 13.0, you can back
out of the mess at your convenience.

The adult point I bring up is more global, which is that _every_ iOS
release (for the past few years) has been proven to be so full of holes
that you can drive a bus through them (Google proved that iOS is
essentially untested, but the facts had long ago proved it to anyone
intelligent enough (and adult enough) to comprehend those facts).

My point isn't about any one iOS release; my point is an adult observation
regarding systemic problems with _all_ iOS releases of the past few years.
o Apple clearly doesn't test iOS sufficiently.

Why?
o I don't know why.

I suspect the answer is pretty simple though:
o It's easier to advertise privacy & security than to actually deliver it.

Also, Apple KNOWS the customer wants frequency of release
o Apparently frequency of release makes Apple customers _feel_ safe.

In addition, sadly, Apple customers, don't seem to comprehend facts
o I can easily prove this simply by asking people why they own iPhones

The answers I get are as hilariously dead wrong as the answers I get
whenever I ask a stranger at the gas pump why they use the Premium
gasoline.

The one thing that factors always into any iPhone discussion
o Is that Apple Marketing is fantastically brilliant.

They know that releasing iOS on a rigid & frequent schedule
o Is far more important to their customers - than iOS quality is.

In summary, JF Mezei, your adult argument is perfectly valid, where I'm
making a different (i.e., higher level) argument that Apple doesn't test
_any_ iOS release sufficiently - hence - to install iOS blindly - is a
fools' errand in terms of blindly accepting huge security holes in every
release.

Notice that I don't disagree with your argument because my argument is
DIFFERENT than your argument - where only a fool could possibly disagree
that iOS isn't sufficiently tested (since clear proof is rampant).

--
HINT: I sprinkle the word adult on purpose because all the arguments of the
apologists are that of a child, while your adult argument was apropos.

Arlen Holder

Sep 21, 2019, 4:56:50 PM9/21/19
On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 10:34:13 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Notice that I don't disagree with your argument because my argument is
> DIFFERENT than your argument - where only a fool could possibly disagree
> that iOS isn't sufficiently tested (since clear proof is rampant).

BTW, NOBODY reliable on this planet suggests installing iOS 13.0.
o Nobody.

Even the Department of Defense clearly says NOT to install iOS 13.0!
o US DOD issues advice against installing todayĒs iOS 13.0 as 13.1 scheduled for next week
<https://mspoweruser.com/apple-rolls-out-buggy-ios-13-as-13-1-scheduled-for-next-week/>

Just as Apple did in the Broadcom bug days (iOS 10.x)...
o When Apple shipped a release they KNEW was so full of security holes
o That Apple literally DESTROYED the release fewer than 10 days later!
o Since they shipped simply due to schedule
o Given they had the FIX in hand - and didn't tell ANYONE
o Where hundreds of millions of installations had to be redone
o Simply because Apple cares more about release schedule than security

Apple just did it again with iOS 13.0
o They were told of the biometric flaws on July 3rd (which they confirmed)
o And yet, Apple _still_ released iOS 13.0 (even on the iPhone 11!)
o Knowing full well it's so chock full of bugs you could drive a bus thru

The facts prove Apple never tests iOS sufficiently
o Google proved (& Apple didn't deny) that iOS is essentially untested.

Apple customers _feel_ safe from the predictable release frequency
o Where the sheer frequency of untested releases is why iOS is a diarrhea

EVERYONE says to NOT install iOS 13.0
o And yet, Apple shipped it anyway (on the $1500 phones no less!)

REFERENCES FOR MY FACTS & LOGIC:
o Donĸt update to iOS 13.0
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20876211/apple-ios-13-fortnite-pubg-mobile-gesture-bug-unplayable-broken-games>

LifeHacker: You Should Wait to Upgrade to iOS 13
<https://lifehacker.com/you-should-wait-to-upgrade-to-ios-13-1838280789>

o Known iOS 13 biometric exploit gives people access to your contacts
<https://www.imore.com/new-ios-13-exploit-gives-people-access-your-contacts>

o The messy iOS 13 rollout shows Apple needs a revised release schedule
<https://thenextweb.com/apple/2019/09/20/the-messy-ios-13-rollout-shows-apple-needs-a-revised-release-schedule/>

o iOS 13 review: dark mode, a new Photos app, and bugs.
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/20872972/apple-ios-13-review-iphone-update-dark-mode-arcade-maps-photos-siri>

o Apple knew about the flaw in iOS 13, the new iPhone operating system
<https://pix11.com/2019/09/19/a-flaw-in-ios-13-the-new-iphone-operating-system-can-expose-your-contact-details/>

o iOS 13 exploit bypasses the lockscreen for access to contacts
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/13/20863993/ios-13-exploit-lockscreen-bypass-security>

o iOS 13.0 is out, but why?
<https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20874884/ios-13-0-bugs-watchos-google-amazon-climate-protests>
"You should wait because iOS 13.0 is buggy"

Arlen Holder

May 26, 2020, 5:16:36 PM5/26/20
On Mon, 25 May 2020 11:18:15 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> There are some apps which are not available for the iPhone yet are for
>> Android which I have seen and thought would be nice to have.
>
> the reverse is also true.

Hi nospam,

Regarding your claim that the reverse is true...
o Name just one.

As always, the challenge is to name a "functionality" that you claim is on
iOS that you claim is not on Android.
o Name just one

For example, on Android there's the ability to graphically display WiFi
signal strength for all visible access points over time.
o That functionality doesn't exist in any iOS app on the App Store.

As another example, on Android, there's the ability to automatically record
phone calls simply by loading an app and setting it up once.
o That functionality doesn't exist in any iOS app on the App Store.

As another example, on Android, there's the ability to set the homescreen
grid to any number of rows and column, with or without a dock, which itself
can be set to any number of items, where items can be replicated in
multiple locations and where all app icon names can be what _you_ want them
to be.
o That functionality doesn't exist in any iOS app on the App Store.

HINT: This list of what iOS apps can't do goes on for a very long time...
o *How many functionalities do you perform, every day, on Android,*
*that are impossible on iOS [and vice versa]?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/qgcY3OFdwto/NTExBPAXBAAJ>

Since you claim the reverse is also true, all you need to do to prove that
your _entire_ belief system isn't completely imaginary, is...
o Name just one.

Given your claim that there is functionality on iOS that isn't on Android,
to prove that your entire belief system isn't based on exactly zero (0)
facts, all you need to do is...
o Name just one.

Don't play silly games around "branding", e.g., by saying "iMessage"...
o Let's talk about actual _functionality_ available now on the app store

Name one app functionality that you claim is on iOS that isn't on Android.
o Name just one
--
There's a good reason why there's likely no app functionality on iOS that
isn't on Android; but you first have to come to that realization before you

Sn!pe

May 26, 2020, 8:22:13 PM5/26/20
Arlen Holder <arlen...@newmachine.com> wrote:

> Regarding your claim that the reverse is true...

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Frank Slootweg

May 27, 2020, 9:18:55 AM5/27/20
Arlen Holder <arlen...@newmachine.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2020 11:18:15 -0400, nospam wrote:

Your References: header is messed up. You reference *your* 10 Sep 2019
(!) article, instead of an article from nospam which you quote.

So I'm just responding to the quoted context and your text.

> >> There are some apps which are not available for the iPhone yet are for
> >> Android which I have seen and thought would be nice to have.
> >
> > the reverse is also true.
>
> Hi nospam,
>
> Regarding your claim that the reverse is true...
> o Name just one.

The app for the Apple TV devices.

Well, you *did* ask!

And of course it proves another point which you didn't make!

[...]

sms

May 27, 2020, 10:32:14 AM5/27/20
The paid magazine subscription service, Texture, used to be able to be
used on any device, OS-X, Windows, Android, iOS. Just like iTunes. Apple
bought the company. The product is now called Apple News+, and is OS-X
and iOS only: “To continue reading, you’ll need a compatible Apple device.”

There is no Android or Windows equivalent to Apple News+, it's not like
music services where you have competition like Spotify, though of course
Apple Music is available on Android as well as iOS.

Selling a subscription service and writing off 87% of the global market
of mobile devices, and 88% of the global market for computers seems
counter-intuitive.

Arlen Holder

May 28, 2020, 8:15:26 PM5/28/20
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 00:48:05 -0000 (UTC), Arlen G. Holder wrote:

> Is there ANY new software functionality in the new iPhone 11 series
> that isn't already in an average five year old Android phone?

UPDATE:

A MacWorld writer certain has had Android functionality on his wishlist!

Dateline today... MacWorld... all below is verbatim...
"*Smart Lock has been around since the days of Android Lollipop*"

"Even before I had to wear a mask, Smart Lock was one of Android's best
features, and *it's been on my iOS wishlist for years*."

"*Apple already has a similar system in place on the Mac* called
Auto Unlock."

*Apple can solve our Face ID mask woes by stealing one of Android's best
features*
<https://www.macworld.com/article/3545476/apple-face-id-mask-android-smart-lock-auto-unlock.html>

"If you own an iPhone X or later and have gone out into the world
recently, you probably noticed an unfortunate side effect of the
new mask-wearing culture: *Face ID doesn't work*."

"if Apple's True Depth camera system can't scan your whole face,
it won't unlock your phone. If you're wearing a mask like most stores
and restaurants require, *you're left typing in your passcode* whenever
you want to check your shopping list or pay your bill."

"Apple offered up a workaround with the recent iOS 13.5 update, but
*it's hardly a fix*... That makes things *a little less infuriating*,
but still not ideal."

"Android has a system in place that lets you bypass it while still
respecting your phone's security and privacy. *It's called Smart Lock*,
and it's perfect for these times."

"*Apple already has a similar system in place on the Mac* called
Auto Unlock. If you have a mid-2013 or later Mac running macOS
High Sierra or later"

"Smart Lock (or Auto Unlock as Apple would likely call it) is a
long-overdue feature, but since it's looking like face masks are going
to be the new normal for a while, the timing would be perfect for an
iOS 14 release."
--
Silly marketing gimmicks like Face ID instantly fail in the real world.

Sn!pe

May 29, 2020, 4:44:43 AM5/29/20
Arlen Holder <arlen...@newmachine.com> wrote:

> Even before I had to wear a mask

If you want this to stop you have only to retract and apologise
in the original set of groups where you traduced me.

For the convenience of anyone who is interested (as if...)
the offense given was in these groups: comp.mac.sys, [?]
comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.systems, uk.comp.sys.mac

========[quote]==========
[...]
While the OP, Wolffan, is a known worthless piece of shit (on the level
of Snit, Diesel, Sn!pe, Colonel Ednumd J. Burke, Nomen Nescio, et al.),
the users who invest their valuable time trying to help him should
simply know the OP already spammed the universe with this thread.
[...]
========[end quote]=======

Thank you for your kind attention.

Arlen Holder

Jun 24, 2020, 12:06:17 AM6/24/20
Other than throttling, is there any software functionality in iOS that is
not on a five year old Android phone?

Here are _multiple_ reports, essentially stating that iOS 14 adds
functionality to iOS that has been in Android for, oh, about forever.

o Why now is the time for Apple to bring Android-like features to iPhones
<https://www.techradar.com/news/why-now-is-the-time-for-apple-to-bring-android-like-features-to-iphones>
"While Android users may be crowing about Apple only now including
features they've had on their phones for a long time..."

See also:
o Let's look at some WWDC announcements, by Thomas E.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/ISQvjJ5S8Lw>

OS

https://www.cnet.com/news/ios-14-unveiled-at-wwdc-2020-first-glimpse-upcoming-apple-iphone-software-features/

1. Choose your very own default e-mail and browser! Wow, it was 1998 when
Microsoft was forces to allow a default browser option. It's been in
Android for years. About time Apple caught up (before the lawsuits do it to
them)! Maybe Apple will even relent on default search, maps and media
players at some point!

2. Move widgets to the home page! Widgets contain much more information and
functionality than simple app icons, and have been a staple feature in
Google's Android operating system for years. About time Apple caught up!

3. List view of apps on the home page! On Android just swipe up from the
bottom of the screen. About time Apple caught up!

4. Translation capability like Google. About time Apple caught up!

5. Home screen picture-in-a-picture. Wow, about time Apple caught up!

6. A windowed Siri screen! Sort of like the Google and Bing Android apps!
About time Apple caught up!

7. Messages gets pinned contacts, sort of like Messenger.

8. Apple Maps gets bike routes, just like Google Maps has had since 2010.

9. Wind Down mode lets you set bedtime routines by day, just like Android
has for years!

Is Apple actually listening now?????

Others:

The move to Apple CPU for Macs was much-anticipated. It makes a lot of
sense, and opens up some interesting opportunities.

Tighter linking among Mac and iOS apps makes sense if you are Apple and
want to make the Walled Garden fences higher.

Goodbye OS X, Big Sur is said to be OS 11. Nothing very innovative in the
name.
--
Bringing TRUTH to Apple ngs via consistent application of simple facts.

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2020, 8:30:43 PM10/8/20
Dateline today, all verbatim because apologists deny even well known facts
because they _hate_ what Apple is, so they brazenly deny what Apple does.

"Apple typically isn't the first to introduce new technology,
like mobile payments and wireless charging."

"Apple was at least a generation behind in adopting 3G
and 4G LTE cellular capabilities in earlier iPhones."

o iPhone 12 and 5G: Everything you need to know
<https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-12-and-5g-everything-you-need-to-know-for-oct-13-apple-event/>

"Virtually all new Android phones arriving in the US today offer 5G,
and the country's biggest carriers have been talking nonstop about
the connectivity.

"Now that Apple is jumping into the fray with its 5G-enabled
iPhone 12 models, the buzz about 5G is only going to get louder
even if consumers in places like the US aren't exactly clamoring
for 5G devices."
--
The truth in facts is that which I bring to these mobile phone newsgroups.