Uvaria sp. ? for ID

M Sawmliana

Jul 26, 2014, 8:40:21 PM7/26/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location : Mizoram
Habit : Large climber
Habitat : Growing wild in the forests.
Note : Fruit edible. Usually found near rivers

Regards,
M.Sawmliana
Uvaria sp .jpg

J.M. Garg

Aug 2, 2014, 9:02:42 AM8/2/14
to efloraofindia

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,93,000 messages on 30/6/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Uvaria sp .jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2021, 11:43:10 AM4/4/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 4, 2021, 11:47:50 AM4/4/21
to indiantreepix, m sawmliana
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Uvaria sp .jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2021, 6:11:39 AM4/8/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Hi, Sawmliana ji,
Do you have other images ?

Apr 8, 2021, 8:07:22 AM4/8/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Hi, Sawmliana ji,
What are species listed in your area?

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 16:11, M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Uvaria hamiltonii ?

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 8, 2021, 9:31:20 AM4/8/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Thanks, Sawmliana ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Thu, 8 Apr, 2021, 6:52 pm M Sawmliana, <msawm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Uvaria is not recorded/listed in Flora of Mizoram

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2021, 2:15:28 AM4/13/21
to M Sawmliana, efloraofindia
Then who identified it as Uvaria ?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Apr 17, 2021, 11:25:24 AM4/17/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
It looks similar to Uvaria macrophylla Roxb., at Hong Kong herbarium - https://www.herbarium.gov.hk/subpages.aspx?id=8908. The indumentum of epicarp can be hairy, as per Flora of China - http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=200008601.

But, Flora of "British India" and "Bengal Plats", both include its distribution in Bangladesh (Silhet, Chittagong).

Most importantly, the treatment of the taxon is different in the paper titled, "A revised taxonomy for Uvaria (Annonaceae) in continental Asia".

So, before any species determination one needs to examine thoroughly each and every morphological character of the submitted species.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CA%2BiuSFCYJa-UakkGUbFu-Ja48QEvr9-9fvK592r6rZASMfWiDw%40mail.gmail.com.

J.M. Garg

Apr 22, 2021, 4:35:15 AM4/22/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana, surajitkoley
Thanks, Surajit.
Sending you the paper separately only, in case you can nail down the id.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Apr 22, 2021, 10:44:10 AM4/22/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Sir, I downloaded the "paper", from BioOne,(open access), about a month ago and already flipped itrs pages, but it didn't help.
because -
Identification KEY starts with flower character, which is not available in this discussion.

I would request Swamliana ji to provide details like leaf and fruit size, if possible
or, alternatively
request him to go through the paper and decide himself.
Another literature might (or might not) help - https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/85005#page/3/mode/1up.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

surajit koley

Apr 25, 2021, 8:58:50 AM4/25/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
This is Uvaria hamiltonii H.f. & T (var, hamiltonii).

One problem area is that the Paper, "A revised Taxonomy for Uvaria (Annonaceae)in Continental Asia" doesn't recognise its presence in that region. But Sawmliana ji has taken care of it - https://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Eastern%20Uvaria.html

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2021, 7:26:00 AM4/30/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks, Surajit ji.
What is worrying me is the colour of the fruit.
I could not find any mention in the descriptions in the revision as well as in FBI and also in the GBIF - specimens one, two and three and four
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2021, 8:19:54 AM4/30/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Can it be Uvaria argentea Bl. var. bracteata as per GBIFspecimen ?

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2021, 11:33:39 AM4/30/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Thanks, Surajit ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Fri, 30 Apr, 2021, 7:19 pm surajit koley, <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sir,

In the type species of U. argentea, the "REVISION" describes : "monocarps numerous, red or purple ..... glabrous,"
In case of U. argentea var. bracteata, the "REVISION" describes : "differs from the type ..... petals, and the leaves .... obovate." (No difference in monocarps noted in the 'revision').

Monocarps in Sawmliana ji's picture are densely tomentose
So, I do not think it can be U. argentea var. bracteata.

On the other hand, the description in the "revision" of U. hamiltonii monocarps : "monocarps 10-14, gloose to oblong ..... green turning red .... outer surface ferrugino-tomentose ....
So, I think this is the plant what I see in FoI - https://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Eastern%20Uvaria.html

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley