Herb ID from Bangladesh SM055

Sourav Mahmud

Jun 9, 2014, 1:18:00 PM6/9/14
to efloraofindia
Habit: Herb
Habitat ; Floodplain
Location: Sundarbans

Sundarbans Plant_Photo_ Sourav Mahmud (518)_resize.JPG

surajitkoley

Jun 11, 2014, 1:03:01 PM6/11/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Flowers look like Hemigraphis hirta, but the plant is not.
Heads look like Hemigraphis dura, but leaves not; supposedly not to be found in that region.

This might be Aechmanthera tomentosa Nees var. wallichii. Unlike FBI, TPL combines them all! Also check -

Sourav Mahmud

Jun 11, 2014, 1:08:54 PM6/11/14
to surajitkoley, efloraofindia
Thanks Surajit Ji

J.M. Garg

Jun 18, 2014, 2:04:43 AM6/18/14
to efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud, surajit koley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Flowers look like Hemigraphis hirta, but the plant is not.
Heads look like Hemigraphis dura, but leaves not; supposedly not to be found in that region.
This might be Aechmanthera tomentosa Nees var. wallichii. Unlike FBI, TPL combines them all! Also check -

Surajit

Thanks, Surajit ji.

Earlier post by Singh ji & others are at:

As per GRIN, Aechmanthera Nees is now syn. of Strobilanthes Blume

As per The Plant List Ver. 1.1, these are the details:

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2350 members & 1,90,000 messages on 31/5/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Sundarbans Plant_Photo_ Sourav Mahmud (518)_resize.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jun 18, 2014, 4:02:35 AM6/18/14
to efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud, surajit koley
A reply:
"Looks like Strobilanthes tomentosa (Nees) J.R.I.Wood but flowers are rather small and location (Sundabans) improbable. I would have a look at Hemigraphis latebrosa as a possibility

John Wood"

Thanks a lot, Dr. Wood.

surajit koley

Jun 18, 2014, 9:26:21 AM6/18/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
As I suggested the ID I had noted the distribution issue.

Aechmanthera tomentosa Nees var. wallichii had been reported from Chittagong (vide FBI and BP). The last few words in FBI go like - "The Chittagong example....... and is therefore AE. tomentosa var. Wallichii, or a new species."

On the other hand neither 'Bengal Plants' nor FBI informs that H. latebrosa Nees can be found in Bangladesh.

Of course Dr. Wood would know it better than anybody.

Regards

J.M. Garg

Sundarbans Plant_Photo_ Sourav Mahmud (518)_resize.JPG

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2014, 11:54:15 AM6/26/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
Attached here the entry in FBI.

Thank you and regards
A_tomentosa.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2014, 7:57:19 PM6/26/14
to efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud, surajit koley
A reply:
"As far as I am aware Strobilanthes tomentosa always grows in the hills, thus the only locality it is certainly known from in Bangladesh is Chittagong. The alluvial plains of Bangladesh are not good Strobilanthes country but finding Hemigraphis latebrosa would not be unexpected even if there is no old record. I suppose Hemigraphis hirta is another possibility but it is not usually so robust.

John Wood"

Thanks, Dr. Wood.

surajit koley

Jun 26, 2014, 9:14:55 PM6/26/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
Good morning

I thank you all. It has saved me from searching 150+ Strobilanthes described in FBI.

Regards

Sourav Mahmud

Jul 1, 2014, 1:50:47 AM7/1/14
to surajit koley, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
Dear All

Hemigraphis latebrosa  was recorded from Chittagong and Sylhet District

surajit koley

Jul 1, 2014, 11:38:42 AM7/1/14
to Sourav Mahmud, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
Thank you Sourav. I think I am wasting time flipping through the pages of outdated lit.

Regards

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 15, 2021, 8:55:25 AM3/15/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Strobilanthes pavala ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 15, 2021, 8:56:15 AM3/15/21
to indiantreepix, Sourav Mahmud
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Strobilanthes pavala ?
Group discussion at

Sundarbans Plant_Photo_ Sourav Mahmud (518)_resize.JPG

surajit koley

Mar 16, 2021, 10:45:56 AM3/16/21
to efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
Since it has already been identified by Dr. Wood and Sourav ji confirmed its distribution in Bangladesh, why should it be anything else!

Thank you.

With regards,

Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

Mar 18, 2021, 8:08:29 AM3/18/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley, Sourav Mahmud
Thanks, Surajit ji,
I think more closer to images at Strobilanthes urens rather than those at Strobilanthes pavala

Sundarbans Plant_Photo_ Sourav Mahmud (518)_resize.JPG

surajit koley

Mar 18, 2021, 9:50:25 AM3/18/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
Garg Sir, you must have noticed that one of the synonyms of Strobilanthes urens is Hemigraphis dura

And in my first reply on 11-June-2014, I stated -

"Flowers look like Hemigraphis hirta, but the plant is not.
Heads look like Hemigraphis dura, but leaves not; supposedly not to be found in that region.

This might be Aechmanthera tomentosa Nees var. wallichii.. ......."

What more can I say!!!

Thank you.

With regards,

Surajit Koley

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 18, 2021, 11:42:19 AM3/18/21
to efloraindia, J.M. Garg, Sourav Mahmud
I could not the distribution of S. urens in Bangladesh in POWO, CoL and GBIF
but images from GBIF and FoI does not look like matching !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

surajit koley

Mar 28, 2021, 9:08:28 AM3/28/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Sourav Mahmud
This can be Hemigraphis hirta, as can be compared with the attached pictures. The species can achieve erect state if supported by underneath vegetation.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

P1180099.jpg